gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681401 Posts in 27636 Topics by 4082 Members - Latest Member: briansclub June 05, 2024, 04:43:15 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: My Brian Wilson Review That Lucky Old Sun  (Read 8381 times)
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: May 09, 2014, 11:28:21 PM »

Indeed ? That's not what I've been told by people who've actually heard the original mix (which was by Brian, Darian & Nicky, btw - check the album credits). My understanding is that it is all but indistinguishable from what was released.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: May 09, 2014, 11:30:22 PM »

I'm kind of surprised at the disdain the spoken word parts receive.  I kind of like it.  Most of the people on this board pride themselves in being nuanced, sophisticated musicphiles so I would think that most of the snob... urgh... FANS on here would enjoy something as artsy fartsy as a spoken word interlude lacing tracks together Smiley

I think it's worth mentioning too that when Brian recorded this, he was in the habit of touring and performing FULL albums... so when he performed this album live, it had video and slideshows, etc. to accompany the spoken word parts.  It was more than just an album, it was toured around and presented as an art performance. 

I never understood the criticism, either, of saying the album isn't long enough.  Says who?  If an album only has 3 songs, what is there to complain about unless you're complaining about the cost.

I thought it was a pretty damn solid album.  I can't even call out any weak spots on it... Live let Live was great; Forever (she'll be my surfer girl) was fantastic I thought.  Oxygen to the Brain I loved, It sounds like Brian making fun of his fat, sleepy 70's caricature.  It sounds like Fantasia, there's so much going on with the horns and everything it sounds like Mickey conducting the mops and everything around while his hands swirl around his head.  At least that's what I see when I hear it!  Midnight's another day is great; Mexican girl I enjoyed...

Another interesting thing that I thought about back when the album came out, was that it kind of lines up with Brian's life.  I dont' know if he purposefully does that but I've noticed that a few times in his music. 

So for instance, Morning beat is his birth... Good Kind of Love represents the sweetness of his teenage years, forming the band... Forever She'll be my Surfer Girl of course represents his life with Marilyn... Live Let Live represents the peak of his creative years, mid late 60's.... Mexican Girl fills in for the years when he was at his weirdest (mid 70's) it's almost a Love You outake.... California Role represents the polished cheese of the 80's...   Oxygen to the Brain Brian's talking about overcoming his insanity and represents all the therapy years with Landy... Midnight's another day is about coping with Carl dying, and the rebirth of Brian's life with Melinda and the children... Going Home is about his twilight years that he's living right now... and Southern California is a little reprise of his life.  "Glad it happened to me...."

Or I could just be imagining it. 

Yeah, I think that's just your imagination runnin' wild.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
surferlicious
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 10, 2014, 10:31:23 AM »

Indeed ? That's not what I've been told by people who've actually heard the original mix (which was by Brian, Darian & Nicky, btw - check the album credits). My understanding is that it is all but indistinguishable from what was released.

My understanding is Al Schmitt told several people the original mix was total shite which is why he was hired to remix it. And why else would the label spend all that extra $$ if the first mix was any good? You don't fix what isn't broken , and Schmitt's name doesn't sell records .
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 10, 2014, 01:11:23 PM »

My understanding is Al Schmitt told several people the original mix was total shite which is why he was hired to remix it. And why else would the label spend all that extra $$ if the first mix was any good? You don't fix what isn't broken , and Schmitt's name doesn't sell records .

But it does win Grammys, which I think was Disney's goal. Al S's name is also pretty prominent on the packaging.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 11, 2014, 11:42:02 PM »

"TLOS is the best Beach Boys record they never made."

Hell yeah!  I really adore this album, the only bad thing I can say about it is that it's not a full on BBs album.  Because, man, that would have been amazing.  Imagine if instead of TWGMTR (which I also truly love), the reunion album we got had been "The Beach Boys starring in That Lucky Old Sun"... a focused, themed album, nostalgic but modern, happy, melancholy, poppy, deep, silly, meaningful, SMiLEy.   It would've been the Beach Boys truly making ART again, and I think general audiences might've been a little more blown away than the generally positive but totally not blown away reaction TWGMTR generated.

Instead, it's just Brian, which is still perfectly fine.  Smiley

And damnit, I love Mexican Girl!  And I love Forever You'll Be My Surfer Girl!! 
Me, too. I used to say the BW88 was his best album, but the production is a bit dated. TLOS may prove to hold up better through the years.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx