gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680754 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 20, 2024, 09:33:33 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Knebworth 1980  (Read 12699 times)
Foster's Freeze
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: May 02, 2014, 12:23:44 PM »

Dang, I always enjoy listening to (most of) that show.

The band really could bring it between Ed, Bobby, Mike Meros and Carl.

Mike's not a Hawthorne boy. The Hawthorne guys stuck together. The Wilsons and I always had a special bond. We felt like we were a team.
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2014, 12:31:13 PM »

Dude, that statement (as true as it is) isn't worth opening a new thread. There already are a couple of Knebworth topics. Wink

The most important ones:

Good Timin': Live At Knebworth 1980 (CD album discussion)

Good Timin: Live at Knebworth, England 1980 (concert DVD discussion)
Foster's Freeze
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2014, 02:27:01 PM »

Dude, that statement (as true as it is) isn't worth opening a new thread. There already are a couple of Knebworth topics. Wink

The most important ones:

Last two posts, September 2013 and January 2014

Good Timin: Live at Knebworth, England 1980 (concert DVD discussion)[/size]

Last two posts, Feburary and March 2014.  Not exactly "fresh."   Air Quotes

I'm not interested in the CD or DVD and how it is reviewed, my comment is about the band.  Just saying.

If no one is interested, my thread will go away so no worries there.

Mike's not a Hawthorne boy. The Hawthorne guys stuck together. The Wilsons and I always had a special bond. We felt like we were a team.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2014, 03:01:18 PM »

I can live with another Knebworth thread… that was the first time I saw the band live, as a 16 year-old exam-flunkin' music head. The gig means a lot in that context. With the benefit of bootlegs and hindsight I don't think the band were at their peak - that was between ten and six years earlier - but you only get to see a band for the first time once in your life and to me they rocked that night!

“We live in divisive times.”
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2014, 03:11:32 PM »

Last two posts, Feburary and March 2014.  Not exactly "fresh."   Air Quotes

I'm not interested in the CD or DVD and how it is reviewed, my comment is about the band.  Just saying.

Firstly, February & March 2014 is pretty fresh. Wink Secondly, those are the topics to muse about the CD/DVD releases of the Knebworth show - however fresh (or rotten) they are. If that's not what you want to do - fair enough. Smiley But even for a 'new' Knebworth-related topic like the ass-kicking live band those days (I agree 100%!) I'd say your post isn't enough to justify a new thread. Either elaborate some more (that is a f*cking awesome band, after all!) or revive one of the many older Knebworth threads in the main section.

I'm sorry.. all work and no sleep makes Lowie cranky. Whatever. Knebworth rocks. It's a joy to see the 6 main guys on stage along with those insanely 'hot' back-up musicians. They've rarely rocked harder than in those days. Just listen to "Help Me, Rhonda" or "Fun, Fun, Fun"! Holy crap! Now, if it weren't for that nasty processing on Mike's voice..

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2014, 03:36:06 PM »

The most important ones:

Last two posts, September 2013 and January 2014

Good Timin: Live at Knebworth, England 1980 (concert DVD discussion)[/size]
b

Last two posts, Feburary and March 2014.  Not exactly "fresh."   Air Quotes

I'm not interested in the CD or DVD and how it is reviewed, my comment is about the band.  Just saying.

First warning.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2014, 03:37:32 PM by The Legendary AGD » Logged

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2014, 04:03:27 PM »

I like Knebworth (and that period) a lot but it was perplexing. Side two of the M.I.U. Album was pretty laid back as was almost all of the L.A. Light Album. The next thing you know they came out blasting in 1980. Did they ever rock as hard?

Two things remain a mystery to me. First, why did Carl give so many (or any) guitar solos to Ed Carter? And second, what happened to Brian? He was really slim in 1979, playing a lot of bass, and his voice was drastically improved from the 15 Big Ones/Love You period. By the time of Knebworth, he was gaining weight, he was back behind the piano almost exclusively, and he barely opened his mouth in concert. Was it the drugs?
« Last Edit: May 02, 2014, 04:40:14 PM by Sheriff John Stone » Logged
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2014, 04:37:27 PM »

When someone has a little burst of Beach Boys related joy/emotion and wants to share it with us fellow geeks, why should they have to stifle the flame by slogging through old threads just to avoid irritating the Net police?

Multiple threads about Knebworth 1980? That's simply awesomeness quantified  Smiley

The Knebworth DVD is a godsend for us fans considering the scarcity of "classic era" live concerts on film/video .... As for now, it's the best we have and an important insight on a band at a sort of crossroads ..... It demonstrates just WHY the Beach Boys music effects us as it does. We see a bunch of guys in the midst of various forms of addictions/disfunction/strife/bullshit and we get to watch the joy of the music take it all over and shove it all aside! It is a wonderful thing to behold!
« Last Edit: May 02, 2014, 06:06:24 PM by Pinder Goes To Kokomo » Logged
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2014, 06:02:08 PM »

When someone has a little burst of Beach Boys related joy/emotion and wants to share it with us fellow geeks, why should they have to stifle the flame by slogging through old threads just to avoid irritating the Net police?

Multiple threads about Knebworth 1980? That's simply awesomeness quantified  Smiley

The Knebworth DVD is a godsend for us fans considering the scarcity of "classic era" live concerts on film/video .... As for now, it's the best we have and an important insight on a band at a sort of crossroads ..... It demonstrates just WHY the Beach Boys music effects us as it does. We see a bunch of guys in the midst of various forms of addictions/disfunction/strife/bullshit and we get to watch the joy of the music take it all over and shove at all aside! It is a wonderful thing to behold!
Well said! Smiley

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2014, 08:19:15 PM »

If we are going down this road could someone direct me to the premium 'Pet Sounds' album thread one should post, and I will disregard all others.
Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2014, 09:01:43 PM »

Is Carl's jacket too shiny?

Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2014, 09:05:28 PM »

Al:  It's too shiny.  Right Brian?
Brian:  Yeah.

Dennis:  Let it go Al... let it gooooo...
Mike:  What if I let YOU go Dennis?  Would you be able to stand?

Denny: ***pause***   No.  Probably not.

Nicko1234
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2014, 09:18:53 PM »

They do sound pretty good on this DVD (aided by the overdubs).

However on some of the boots that I have heard from the period they sound pretty damn rough.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2014, 10:28:23 PM »

How many other UK fans (or visitors) who post here were at the gig?

“We live in divisive times.”
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2014, 01:48:35 AM »

How many other UK fans (or visitors) who post here were at the gig?

And where were y'all standing in proximity to the campfire (as smelt by Al) to the left of the stage looking out towards the audience.  (John Manning, was the campfire your doing?)

I'm blown away that as this very thread was started, I was sitting in front of my telly watching the Knebworth DVD - in full for the first time.

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
halblaineisgood
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2014, 02:36:43 AM »

« Last Edit: December 30, 2014, 12:54:44 PM by halblaineisgood » Logged
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2014, 04:19:03 AM »

So what are your favourite performances from the Knebworth gig? Personally, I could die for the respective renditions of "Surfer Girl", "Lady Lynda" and "God Only Knows" - as well as the pure rock 'n' roll on "Rhonda", "Fun, Fun, Fun" and the likes. "Darlin'" might just be the best released version of the song so far. Carl kills it. Honourable mention: Denny's solo spot on "You Are So Beautiful", accompanied by Mike Meros.

Carl's satin baseball jacket is the king of jackets.
It really looks friggin' rad in the footage. Carl could pull it off.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2014, 04:24:53 AM by Lowbacca » Logged
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2014, 04:55:45 AM »

So what are your favourite performances from the Knebworth gig? Personally, I could die for the respective renditions of "Surfer Girl", "Lady Lynda" and "God Only Knows" - as well as the pure rock 'n' roll on "Rhonda", "Fun, Fun, Fun" and the likes. "Darlin'" might just be the best released version of the song so far. Carl kills it. Honourable mention: Denny's solo spot on "You Are So Beautiful", accompanied by Mike Meros.

Carl's satin baseball jacket is the king of jackets.
It really looks friggin' rad in the footage. Carl could pull it off.

I think Mike wore a similar jacket back in 1976. He might be wearing it on one of the photos used in the Ten Years Of Harmony album booklet and for the cover of the Byron Preiss book.

Knebworth favorites:

"California Girls" - love the organ intro
"Do It Again" - my favorite live version of the song; again the intro rocks
"Little Deuce Coupe" - a very underrated version
"I Get Around", "Surfin' USA", "Barbara Ann", "Fun, Fun, Fun" - they were able to capture on tape the way it feels to be there live; rock & roll doesn't get much better than that
Orange Crate Art
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2014, 05:09:57 AM »

Multiple threads about Knebworth 1980? That's simply awesomeness quantified  Smiley

The Knebworth DVD is a godsend for us fans considering the scarcity of "classic era" live concerts on film/video .... As for now, it's the best we have and an important insight on a band at a sort of crossroads ..... It demonstrates just WHY the Beach Boys music effects us as it does. We see a bunch of guys in the midst of various forms of addictions/disfunction/strife/bullshit and we get to watch the joy of the music take it all over and shove it all aside! It is a wonderful thing to behold!

Agreed, and I get bored with pompous thread-police officers.

Hey did you hear that George fell into his French horn?
Orange Crate Art
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2014, 05:13:51 AM »

Now that I got that off my chest....

Knebworth is one of my favorite dvd concerts to watch, even though Brian doesn't seem to be having much fun. I thought he sang the chorus to Surfer Girl amazingly. The song Keeping The Summer Alive is one of the highlights (in my opinion). Too bad they didn't continue playing that song live.

Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2014, 06:29:48 AM »

The boys look on as security release Bruce from a locked Porta-Potty. Brian grins knowingly.  Evil
Orange Crate Art
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2014, 06:41:58 AM »

Does anybody know why Carl appeared to be very angry after the band finished performing Surfer Girl at the Knebworth concert? If you watch the DVD, or on Youtube, you can see Dennis pull Carl away from Mike (well that's what it looks like, I could be wrong). Carl has a look about him that just seems agitated. Obviously there was a little bit of instigating on Dennis' part during the song (is Dennis teasing Mike? It's rather humorous LOL)

Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2014, 06:58:53 AM »

Does anybody know why Carl appeared to be very angry after the band finished performing Surfer Girl at the Knebworth concert? If you watch the DVD, or on Youtube, you can see Dennis pull Carl away from Mike (well that's what it looks like, I could be wrong). Carl has a look about him that just seems agitated. Obviously there was a little bit of instigating on Dennis' part during the song (is Dennis teasing Mike? It's rather humorous LOL)
I have heard other people say that as well. I never saw it like that. Carl doesn't really look angry - although clearly he meant to talk to Mike about something performance-wise. But that's what Carl did, he always had an eye on the musical performance. Dennis pulling Carl could just be to grab him for the collective bow. I don't know. Maybe I'm wrong.
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 03, 2014, 07:47:37 AM »

It looks to me like Carl was about to say something to someone in the band when Dennis pulled him away.
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: May 03, 2014, 08:42:56 AM »

Carl didn't really give away that many guitar solos to Eddie, as was stated earlier in this thread...just "Rhonda" and "Barbara Ann", plus the closing solo on "School Days": Carl still played all the other guitar solos at that point: "Do It Again", "Catch A Wave", "Keepin' The Summer Alive" (I think he and Eddie may have soloed in tandem on this one), "I Get Around", "Surfin' U.S.A.", and "Fun, Fun, Fun", plus the first solo on "School Days".

If you look back a few years into the band's onstage history, the "Rhonda" solo had been played by someone other than Carl since they re-arranged it as a slow boogie back in '71: either by the horn ensemble, Daryl or Billy on piano, Blondie, or Charles Lloyd on sax. With all of those players gone from the band by early '79, I think Carl just made the decision to let Eddie have the solo 'cause he wasn't interested in doing it himself after being used to someone else doing it for so long. With "Barbara Ann", I think Carl was probably just getting bored with doing the song in general (even referring to it, smiling, as the "bane" of his existence at this point), and so he gave the solo away to Eddie around the same time.

So from '79 to '81, it was common practice for Ed to leave the bass and play lead guitar on those two songs, with Bruce taking over on bass for those two. In the spring of 1980 (including the U.S. tour they did right before heading to Europe), they brought in Joe Chemay to play bass so that Eddie could play guitar throughout; this was actually the record company's idea, according to Bruce in an interview at the Philadelphia Spectrum gig that April. For some reason, CBS thought the band's onstage sound needed to be a bit "heavier" while they toured in support of the "KTSA" album. That enabled Eddie to add additional lead guitar licks thoughout, similar to what he had done in '78 when Brian would play bass for most of the show. Following the 1980 Euro tour though, Chemay was gone and Eddie was back to playing bass throughout the show, except for "Rhonda" and "Barbara Ann". Carl picked up the closing solo on "School Days", as seen in the video of the July 4th show from that year. When Foskett came on board, Carl was of course out of the band and thus Jeff was doing all of the solos. When Carl came back in spring of '82, he resumed playing most of the solos, but gave Jeff the solo on "Surfin' Safari", as well as the two Eddie had previously had ("Rhonda" and "Barbara Ann"). And, Jeff did the solo on "Come Go With Me" for several years too, until Meros got a decent sounding saxophone patch on one of his keyboards. And Jeff would do the "Wipeout" lead guitar part in later years, but by the mid-'90s, Carl was doing that as well.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2014, 09:02:55 AM by c-man » Logged
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx