gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 06:21:50 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Astrud Gilberto  (Read 2333 times)
Gabo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: April 30, 2014, 01:30:13 AM »

Astrud Gilberto is possibly my favorite musician of all time. Of course she is a syrupy standards singer who didn't write any of her tunes (but a handful -- all of which are beautiful) or produce anything remarkably original her modest voice and attitude make her truly one of the "greats." She's considered too pop for jazz circles and too Americanized for Brazilians, and it's hard to imagine who would listen to her today, other than old folks who heard Girl From Ipanema back in the 60s.

I fucking love her, but all my friends consider it elevator music. How can you say no to this?!?!:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PpA3C_qbz00

« Last Edit: April 30, 2014, 01:31:54 AM by Gabo » Logged
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2014, 01:50:22 AM »

Get new friends, buddy.

Love this lady, too.

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2014, 05:18:56 AM »

The only Gilberto track I know is "Once I Loved" which was featured on an indie soundtrack compilation a couple of years ago.

But if Gabo says she's da bomb then I might check out more of her stuff s00n. 3D
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2014, 07:26:27 AM »

I'll never begrudge anyone the right to like or dislike whatever they happen to like or dislike, but...

...syrupy standards singer who didn't write any of her tunes (but a handful -- all of which are beautiful) or produce anything remarkably original ... too pop for jazz circles and too Americanized for Brazilians ...

It drives me insane when people use certain criticisms about music or musicians. (And I know you're not using them, you're saying others did.) The criticism of a performer not writing or producing is absurd to me. Nobody criticizes an architect who can't build a building, or vice versa. It's admittedly cool when someone is excellent across the whole process, but it's also tremendously rare. Most people are good at one thing, and maybe competent at some others. The very, very rare person is great across the board. So that said, is it fair to criticize those who are excellent at something, but not excellent at some related (but separate) thing? I say, strenuously, NO.

Astrud Gilberto is a brilliant singer. That makes listening to recordings of her performances fully worthwhile and rewarding, without worrying whether she wrote the song, played on the recording, or produced the recording.

Then to address the part about whether the music is jazz enough or Brazilian enough (or anything else), well, let's just say I think it's similarly bullshit. In the 60s, we saw a new kind of music based on exactly this kind of thing, and I guess most specifically on Girl From Ipanema. That's to be celebrated, not criticized! Without fusing and crossing over and pushing of boundaries, there is nothing but retreading territory in what rapidly becomes pastiche, imitation. Besides--and I say this as a jazz guy myself, so with plenty of humor and self-criticism--jazz guys are exclusive, elitist dicks, for the most part, quick to isolate even giants (Miles Davis, anyone?) for straying too far from the doctrine.

In closing, Astrud Gilberto is great. Forever and ever amen.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Summertime Blooz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2014, 04:26:01 PM »

I really dig her too! Listening to her records is a time machine to the groovy 60s.

Also check out the work of Marcos Valle if you like this sort of thing:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cSLEJZv9J5U

Please visit 'The American(a) Trip Slideshow' where you can watch the videos and listen to fan mixes of all the Smile songs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doOws3284PQ&list=PLptIp1kEl6BWNpXyJ_mb20W4ZqJ14-Hgg
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2014, 06:33:28 PM »

I love Girl From Ipanema and Fly Me To The Moon. I am embarrassed to say that is all I know of her.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2014, 11:27:09 PM »

After listening to a few random songs, I don't see what is so great about Astrud. She has a very calm voice, kinda whispering, & that doesn't require a lot of effort, right? Are there any rocking tunes where she gives it all, or is bossanova about "light" singing? Paging our music buffs.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2014, 01:48:56 AM »

I bought her greatest hits cd about 12 years ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c5QfXjsoNe4

She WAS the Girl from Ipanema!

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
leggo of my ego
Smiley Smile Associate

Beach Boys Stomp

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2014, 06:56:45 AM »

I wont dis you diggin Astrud Gilberto if you dont dis me diggin Claudine Longet.  Evil

Hey Little Tomboy is creepy. Banging women by the pool is fun and conjures up warm summer thoughts a Beach Boys song should.

Necessity knows no law
A bootlegger knows no law
Therefore: A bootlegger is a necessity
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2014, 08:59:11 AM »

After listening to a few random songs, I don't see what is so great about Astrud. She has a very calm voice, kinda whispering, & that doesn't require a lot of effort, right? Are there any rocking tunes where she gives it all, or is bossanova about "light" singing? Paging our music buffs.

I think singing softly requires more effort - because you have to be fully aware of every tiny variation in your vocal performance (slightest shift of pitch in your vocals, or the slightest decrease/increase in volume). Whereas by singing loudly, though requiring more air and exertion, you can cover a lot of that up. Both styles of singing aren't done without great talent, however.

Gilberto's vocal performance on 'Let Go (Canto De Ossanha)' is one where she uses a more full vocal: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XOjExxC3gf4

Regardless of what anyone says about her, nothing will change my opinion that her version of 'In the Wee Small Hours of the Morning' is one of the most beautiful songs ever recorded.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2014, 10:26:28 AM »

not a lot of bossa nova belters out there.
Astrud is great. she may not have the training or the chops that some singers have, but what a voice! a real innocence and honesty there.

from what I understand, her singing career happened by accident. she was accompanying her husband Joao in the studio and a producer heard her singing to herself. much to Joao's dismay, Astrud became a star in short order!

I love her version of Here's That Rainy Day, especially the "Koop remix" which puts quite a different spin on her original.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4TUNqNgJ6ek

vs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nF6GI1FA7Qo

In the same vein, I highly recommend checking out Elis Regina if you haven't already. an amazing Brazilian singer of bossa nova and much more. this album in particular is a desert island disc for me:

gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx