gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680724 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 16, 2024, 09:36:10 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Audree  (Read 12631 times)
MaryUSA
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: April 29, 2014, 12:53:57 PM »

Hi all,

In see that nobody really talks about Audree.  She was the mother of the Wilson brothers.  We talk abuot Murry, Brain, Carl, Dennis, Al, Mike, Bruce, John S, Blondie and Jeff F. As well as Marilyn, Melinda, the girls and Landy.  Now it is time to talk about Audree.  She must have been devstated by Dennis's death.  Traditionally, the parents are supposed to die first.  I know that she was part of the law suit to get Brian away from Landy.  Yet she is ignored by fans.  I have seen comments by her on BB sites.  I kow that she said that Landy was the worst thing that happened to her son.  She was loving and supportive of the band.  As well as he sons.   
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2014, 01:50:49 PM »

Now it is time to talk about Audree.

Yet she is ignored by fans.  
Huh? No, she isn't. She's just not as interesting a character as Murry (or others).
« Last Edit: April 29, 2014, 02:07:04 PM by Lowbacca » Logged
KittyKat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2014, 02:15:26 PM »

Is this person a troll? Roll Eyes

Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2014, 02:21:59 PM »

Her[?] past threads seemed rather legit..
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2014, 02:31:08 PM »

No, she's not.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Moon Dawg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2014, 03:28:59 PM »

Audree is rarely discussed in comparison with Murry and other family issues. I've heard Carl was her favorite.
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2014, 03:38:36 PM »

Interesting topic and observation - I can only imagine Audrey was not one to get in front of the media, or draw that type of attention to herself - and keep personal things personal.

I find there are frequent references to her presence within the BBs world - break-up on the tarmac article, her involvement in early Brian singing arangements etc, a few interview snippets in AB/EH docos - but scant elaboration, again perhaps at her request.

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
bringahorseinhere?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2014, 04:13:20 PM »

actually I'd like to know more about Audree too...... she also must have had some wonderful 'genes' that got passed on to the Wilson's.....

it would be interesting to know how she felt more about Murray and the boys over the years......

the 'IJWMFTT' doco sure sheds a bit of light into her thoughts...............

if only she had written a book too eh?....... in her word, "sometimes I do get in touch with the fact that I am the 'Mom of The Beach Boys"....

RickB

Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2014, 04:30:43 PM »

Introduced as such at a concert I attended in LA early 90s.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2014, 04:32:20 PM »

Audree was a member of the group "Kenny & The Cadets".  Brian was Kenny and Audree was one of the Cadets.

Audree taught Brian and David Marks the piano, especially the "Boogie Woogie."

After Brian had a nervous breakdown in Houston in December, 1964, he asked that Audree pick him up at the airport back in L.A. They then drove to the old Hawthorne house where Brian spilled his guts.

Audree liked to knock back a few. Some say quite a few.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
D409
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2014, 04:34:41 PM »

There's a good interview with Audree by David Felton from Rolling Stone circa 1976 in Kingsley Abbot's collection Back To The Beach, part of the article "The Healing Of Brother Bri' ".
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2014, 04:40:04 PM »

Audree had an interesting relationship with Murry towards the end of his life.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
D409
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2014, 04:44:59 PM »

Just found a transcription of the interview I mentioned above :

(The full article can be found here : http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/the-healing-of-brother-brian-the-rolling-stone-interview-with-the-beach-boys-19761104)

How did you first notice something was wrong with Brian?

AUDREE: It was just that he'd stay in his room all the time. I would go over there, and there could be a houseful of people and he just wouldn't come down.

When you talked to him in his bedroom, would he make sense?

AUDREE: Oh, of course, perfectly. He just wanted to be alone. Sometimes he would say, "I'm really so tired," or, "I'll be down in a little while." And I'd think to myself, "You might or you might not, and if not, that's okay with me." I knew he was in trouble. I knew he had a problem.

Did he seem depressed?

AUDREE: Oh yes, I think so. He didn't show his depression to me that much because if I'd go upstairs to say hi or give him a kiss, he would always be sweet to me and say, "Hi, mom. How are you?" or, "I'm tired," or, "I have a cold," or, "My stomach is upset," or just anything. At that time I didn't believe it; I just thought, he wants to be alone. I would never — oh God — no way would I bug him. I figured if he wanted to talk to me he would tell me.

Do you think Brian's creativity began to be a burden to him ?

AUDREE: I do. I think that he just went through a lot of pain. I think it was very painful for him to live up to this tremendous image that had happened just like that [snaps her fingers]. All of a sudden he felt he couldn't do it anymore, he felt like he had reached the pinnacle — and what was left?

And then for a number of years did he just sort of deteriorate?

AUDREE: Well, he went through stages. In fact, Marilyn would say, "Oh, Brian's so much better, we this or we that." I'd be happy to hear it. So it was kind of an up and down thing.

Carl says that he was the closest to his father, but that Brian and Dennis had a difficult time communicating with him.

AUDREE: Yes, they did. But in the later years, Dennis and his father had a great relationship. Well, they had something in common. They both loved to fish, they both loved boxing.

Dennis said when he was young his father used to beat the hell out of him sometimes.

AUDREE: Yeah, he really got the short end of the stick.

How did you feel when you heard about Dennis' involvement with Charles Manson?

AUDREE: Oh my. God, absolutely horrified. Terrified. First of all, when Manson and his family, the girls, moved in with Dennis, Dennis had this beautiful, beautiful place — at Will Rogers State Park, right off Sunset. And he befriended them. They were just hippies and he thought Manson was the nicest person, a very gentle, nice guy. Murry had a fit. He knew there were a bunch of girls living there.

I went there one day. Dennis was at the recording studio in Brian's house, and he said, "Will you take me home?" And I was very hesitant because I thought, "Oh God, Murry's not going to like this." But I took him home, and he said, "Will you just come in and meet them? Come on, they're nice." And I said, "Dennis, promise me you won't tell Dad."

So I went in, and Charlie Manson was walking through this big yard with a long robe on, and Dennis introduced me. And we went into the house, and I think three girls were in the house, just darling young girls, I thought. I zipped through the house, got back in my car and left. And wouldn't you know that Dennis told his dad?

Did you get heck for that ?

AUDREE: Yeah, he didn't like it. He was pissed.

How did Charlie strike you when you saw him?

AUDREE: I just thought he looked older than he supposedly is, like an older man, and I thought he had a kind face. That was the only impression I had. And I did think they were a bunch of leeches; Dennis had been through that before. He could never stand to see anyone who needed anything or anybody who had any kind of a problem... he was right there.

At that time nobody knew who Manson was.

AUDREE: No idea. In fact, when that horrible story came out about Manson's arrest for the Sharon Tate murder, Annie, Carl's wife, called me. And she said, "Ma, do you realize...?" I did not connect at all that that was the same person and the same family who had been with Dennis. When she told me, I just totally froze.

Well, it must have been a shock for Dennis as well.

AUDREE: Horrifying. I think the next day was his birthday, and he was at Carl and Annie's. I went there and we had dinner. And we were all very quiet. And somebody said something, and Carl said, "I don't think we should talk about it." So we just watched television and had a very quiet evening. We were totally terrified. I remember Carl saying, "Mom, let's all go back and stay at your house." And I said, "Carl, everybody knows where I live. What good would that do?" So I stayed at their house a couple of nights. And see, when they left Dennis' house, Manson or somebody stole Dennis' Ferrari, and they stole everything in the house that could be moved. Everything. Stripped. Dennis had kicked them out because they were into heavy drugs and he just wanted them out. And Manson, of course, had music he wanted published, and he wanted money, quite a sum, 10 or 15 thousand dollars. And Dennis turned him down. So Manson threatened Dennis, he said, "If you don't give it to me" — I'm paraphrasing — "something's going to happen to Scotty." Scotty was Dennis' first wife's son, and Dennis just adored him. He was really like his daddy. But that was a terrible period.

You said that Dennis and his father later became much closer.

AUDREE: They were buddies. You know, it's the most amazing thing... the year that he died, Dennis called his father on Mother's Day and Murry told him, "I'm just going to live about a month." Which Dennis didn't tell me, thank God. I didn't need to know it. But he could tell Dennis that.

He'd had one heart attack.

AUDREE: He'd had a heart attack and he was just getting along famously. And six weeks later, it was in June, he just... well, it's weird the way that happened. I was waiting for him to wake up, thinking, "I wish he'd wake up. I wonder if he's really okay." I was standing in the kitchen, watching the clock, thinking I'll be so glad when he wakes up. And all of a sudden he woke up, and we had a great talk. He was in a good mood. He seemed to feel fine. And we talked for quite a while, about so many things. He said to me, "I'm so glad I've never had to take nitroglycerin." And I was glad, too, because I knew that would' be frightening. That's for the pain. He said he wanted to take a walk — he'd been able to walk around the house but not outside yet. And I said, "Great, if you feel like it." So I was going to drive him down to Whittier Boulevard to walk. I went into the kitchen to make cereal for him, and all of a sudden I heard him yelling for me. I started dashing down this long hallway. He was in the bathroom sitting on the toilet. And he said, "Nitroglycerin," so I grabbed it and said, "Put it under your tongue." But he just sat there, very pale. And he said, "Cold water." So I got a cloth with real cold water on it and kept going like this on his forehead, and then I held it on the back of his neck. And he still just sat there. I said, "Are you okay?" And he said, "I don't know."

I got up next to him to hold him — he was much bigger than I am — and he just toppled over. So I turned him over — I don't know how I did it, but I did it. And I realized he was really in bad trouble. In fact, I thought he was gone. By that time his face looked very flushed and his eyes... I knew he didn't see me because I went like this [pats her cheek] and said, "Baby, baby." All I said to him was, "Baby, baby, I love you." I ran into the bedroom and called the fire department. I never went back in that bathroom.

I locked the house, got in my car and went to the hospital... and sat there for quite a while. A doctor came out once and said, "We're doing everything we can." And I said, "I'm sure you are." And I knew that that was it.

Brian did not go to the funeral.

AUDREE: Nope. I understand that perfectly. You know, Carl was very angry that Brian didn't go to the funeral. And I said, "Carl, I understand perfectly." It didn't bother me. Brian couldn't face it. No way.

Do you think he'll go to yours?

AUDREE: I'd be surprised. You know, I don't know if he's ever been to one. To me, so what? I don't believe in funerals, frankly — the most barbaric, outmoded bunch of... [censors herself and laughs]. Anyway...

In general you seem to have been much looser than your husband.

AUDREE: Oh yeah, a great deal more. He took life so seriously, really. It was hard for him to have fun. Once he said to me, "Sometimes you can be so mad or in some kind of mood, and somebody comes over and you can laugh and have a good time. Maybe I'm jealous of you." I used to think it would be so nice if he could just loosen up. But he was what he was, you know?

About ten years ago everyone started getting into drugs and marijuana, and I'm sure your boys did too. How did that affect you ?

AUDREE: Well, I had a horrible problem with my husband about that. He was so, sooo against it, so mortified — I can't even think of a strong enough word. They all went and told him that they were smoking pot and, oh, he just thought that was the end of the world, the most horrible thing they could do. And of course he was angry with me. In fact, he was so angry he wouldn't allow them to come to our house for quite a while. And he told me I couldn't go see them.

But now, of course, dope is much better understood. Have you ever tried it?

AUDREE: Frankly, I did try it. In fact, I just zonked out. I was at Carl and Annie's house and I walked into the living room and I couldn't get up. I didn't like it at all. Then one other time, though, I tried it and I've never had more fun in my life. Laughed and laughed and laughed, just had a ball. This is since Murry's gone.

How old are you?

AUDREE: Thirty-seven. You know I'm lying. Should I tell the truth?

Let's see... you said you got married when you were 20... and you had Brian after four years, and he just turned 34... so you're about 58.
AUDREE: Exactly. Rats.

So what are you doing with your time?

AUDREE: Not as much as I should.

You mean not as much as you'd like?

AUDREE: Well, as I'd like and should for my own good, because I'm lonely a lot and that's ridiculous.

Do you still play music?

AUDREE: I don't like to play by myself. And I should because I just adore it. In fact, the other night some of my relatives were here and they were watching Gone with the Wind, and all of a sudden I just got bored and I went into the living room and I played the piano for a while. And I played the organ. And I was comfortable because I knew there was somebody here. But by myself I'm not comfortable. I just don't have anything in particular going for me.

« Last Edit: April 29, 2014, 04:47:58 PM by D409 » Logged
KittyKat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2014, 04:51:12 PM »

I just wasn't sure what to make of the line about the tradition of parents dying first. Perhaps just a slightly odd choice of words. And being upset about people not talking about Audree enough. Audree gets discussed enough in proportion to her role. She didn't manage the band or attempt to produce their early records, for one thing.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2014, 06:26:27 PM »

Not too long ago, I mentioned in another thread that Brian hasn't seemed the same since the late 90s, in that he seemed much more alert and outgoing until Carl's passing. I didn't think to realize that Brian had just lost Audree less than two months prior. The combination of the two must've been devastating. I do wonder how she would feel about how Brian's life has turned out since her passing.

Do you think he'll go to yours?

AUDREE: I'd be surprised. You know, I don't know if he's ever been to one. To me, so what? I don't believe in funerals, frankly — the most barbaric, outmoded bunch of... [censors herself and laughs]. Anyway...

For some reason, that made me laugh (the way she put it). She seems like she was a really cool person.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Gertie J.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2014, 06:38:59 PM »

she thought manson had a kind face  Grin

dj, blogger, and hanger-on
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2014, 08:36:19 PM »

Thank you for posting that interview

Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2014, 09:17:25 PM »

Yes thank you, that was a great read.  Seems like she was a cool lady back in her day.
slippingonthrough
Smiley Smile Associate

Male eagle walking down the street....

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2014, 11:33:13 PM »

The funniest part of the interview is:

DENNIS: [Whispers into Carl's mike] Hi, this is Carl... and I wanna say that... I like p*ssy.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2014, 11:42:20 PM »

Like we didn't know...  Grin

halblaineisgood
« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2014, 01:07:21 AM »

« Last Edit: December 30, 2014, 09:45:09 PM by halblaineisgood » Logged
Gabo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2014, 01:33:38 AM »

Audree was a member of the group "Kenny & The Cadets".  Brian was Kenny and Audree was one of the Cadets.

Lol, who would let their MOM join the band?
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2014, 01:40:03 AM »

Seems like you never heard how Audree sings. How about checking out "What Is a Young Girl Made Of", "Barbie"? It's all on YT.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2014, 01:47:17 AM »

Ask John Cowsill... Grin

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2014, 01:48:41 AM »

Seems like you never heard how Audree sings. How about checking out "What Is a Young Girl Made Of", "Barbie"? It's all on YT.

Audree's only on "Barbie" (as are Carl & Alan).

gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx