gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 02:56:42 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Bangles  (Read 11710 times)
Paul J B
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 18, 2014, 11:04:15 AM »

Sweet produced the Bangles last album "sweetheart of the sun" a couple of years ago. It was very good although I did miss Michael's vocals in the mix.  "doll revolution" from 10 or so years ago was also good. Unfortunately most people that followed them in their heyday don't even know that they had 2 new albums over the last decade or so.

Best female harmony group there has been. Beach Boys being the best males of course.
Tomorrowville
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: August 18, 2014, 05:49:49 PM »

I really love that first Bangles album, before they got caught up in '80s power balladry and were still making great '60s-inspired Paisley Underground power pop.  Their most recent album is a return to that style (but I also miss the bassist in the mix).

Definitely an underrated band.

Songwriter, keyboard player - Pentacon Six - indie pop
MaryUSA
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 18, 2014, 05:50:44 PM »

Hi all,

I did enjoy The Bangels. 
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: August 18, 2014, 08:07:49 PM »

I knew and liked them in the 80's, especially Susanna and her Rickenbacker guitars. What I didn't realize was just how much of a 60's psych/pop band they really were until sometime in the 2000's when I got a bootleg from an early show they played, off the top of my head I think it was from '83. I'll have to dig that one out to confirm. But they did all the right covers, and were very much the 60's Sunset Strip psych sound and vibe. That got polished out a bit for their major-label and MTV fame, but it was still there. Their cover of Hazy Shade Of Winter was a hit.

As also shown later by Susanna and Matthew Sweet's "Under The Covers", for one. I really, really enjoyed that album.

About Prince and Manic Monday, it all kind of fit in. He was obsessed with Susanna and was also going through his own bit of a pop phase, with Sign O' The Times and others, songs like Kiss, Raspberry Beret, Pop Life. So it was a pretty good fit for that general time.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 19, 2014, 08:23:05 AM »

First of all, the most beautiful Bangle was clearly Debbi Peterson. Shocked

Mark me down in the Debbi was the hottest Bangle camp.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2014, 08:11:18 AM by Mike's Beard » Logged

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #30 on: August 19, 2014, 11:16:41 AM »

I love "Eternal Flame", just the way they did it is very interesting to me.  You could probably analyze any song this way, but I've thought about this one a lot.  I do a lot of listening driving in my car, and i've heard this song driving a thousand times.

Susanna isn't the greatest singer in the world.  She has a pleasant enough voice but if you want her to amaze you you're going to be disappointed.  So she co-writes this song, and it's a concept song; basically she's presenting this concept of an "Eternal Flame", a play on the literal eternal flames, like the one at JFK's grave-site, and the common romantic notion of a flame, someone you have long lost love for.  

So, if you listen to the track, every time it gets to that lyric, she really enunciates it.  "An. E. Ternal. Flame."  Somehow the way she chooses to state that lyric kind of emphasizes it.  It's like as a songwriter she's trying to sell that song, she wants you to get what she's takling about.  She's really invested in you understanding the lyric... when you sing somebody else's idea you try to get the melody right, when you've written the song, you try to get the meaning right.  

When we get to the guitar solo, somehow it's as melancholy as the lyric is.  The guitar sounds like it's having a bad night.

Then you get to the end, they're building, and Susanna gives her best power ballad high note.... which isn't much if you're Faith Hill, but if you're Susanna Hoffs that her all.  

it's really a class song because she really does the best she can, with her limited range.  If Brian Wilson would put that much care into all of the songs he's burped out over the last 30 years or so, we'd appreciate them a lot more!  You're not going to find Susanna Hoffs phoning one in.  

Also, Susanna has trouble pronouncing "R" 's.  

"Ammmmm I onlllly DEEEEE-MMMINNNNNGGGGG"

Great post!

Yeah, Susanna's not exactly Carl Wilson. but put her in a harmony stack, or on top of the Peterson Sister's whole genetic vocal/harmony magical thing, and she's all kinds of special sauce!

I freakin' LOVE Susanna's singing voice!! Love it. She's one of my all-time favorite female singers. She's like Stevie Nicks but minus that annoying wavering I'm-singing-this-on-a-vibrating-bed quality that Nicks has.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 19, 2014, 09:39:18 PM »

First of all, the most beautiful Bangle was clearly Debbi Peterson. Shocked

Yeah, something about a girl drummer that I dig  Cool Guy

Re-discovering them now album-by-album. Smiley
SMiLE-addict
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 24, 2014, 09:54:00 PM »

Mark me down in the Debbi was the hottest Bangle camp.
You're right, she was a hottie too.

She was also the youngest in the band. Was only about 23-24 in this video. The others were 2-6 years older than her.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zj7OJeyhq2Q

In fact, they're all pretty hot. Smiley
« Last Edit: August 24, 2014, 09:55:42 PM by SMiLE-addict » Logged
Aum Bop Diddit
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 25, 2014, 09:49:30 AM »

Vicki Peterson for me.  Great band.

Hey!  Those are *MY* wind chimes!
Buckethead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 24, 2018, 09:34:09 PM »

And Vicki Peterson was in the Dwight Twilley band , back in the day, with her future husband's sister, Susan Cowsill.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx