gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 12:05:59 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Bangles  (Read 11708 times)
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: April 28, 2014, 04:12:06 PM »

Anyone else think these gals are criminally underrated?
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2014, 04:46:48 PM »

Never really listened to the band, but..

When I went and saw the Three O'Clock down in Santa Ana, they finished out the show with an encore that had Steve Wynn (from the Dream Syndicate) and Vicki Peterson (from the Bangles) come up on stage for "I'll Feel a Whole Lot Better," "There She Goes Again," "Time Will Show the Wiser" (Vicki sang).
There's a terrible quality video of it up on YouTube, but you can't see me in it because I'm on the other side of the stage (right up front  Smiley). Anyway, this is where they get introduced and then play together https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ajb413nlwQ#t=3588

Some girl took a bunch of pictures of my hands for some reason.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2014, 04:56:41 PM by Bubbly Waves » Logged
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2014, 04:54:21 PM »

Your future is in hand modeling? Smiley

Great clip! Thanks much!
SMiLE-addict
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2014, 05:58:29 PM »

Susanna Hoffs was a babe.

There I said it.
seltaeb1012002
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2014, 06:45:53 PM »

There I said it.

..and still is!

Oddly enough, I just watched their Behind The Music last night. I forgot how many great songs they had. Had no idea that Prince wrote "Manic Monday".
« Last Edit: April 28, 2014, 06:46:48 PM by seltaeb1012002 » Logged
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2014, 08:16:05 PM »

Susanna Hoffs makes the world go round.  She's 55.  FIFTY FIVE GLORIOUS YEARS OF HOTNESS

She does such a good job at being Hot i'm completely willing to agree that her band is really good. 

I can't objectively say whether or not they actually ARE good, though, because I believe her hotness possibly has clouded me into thinking they're good, when they may or may not be good. 

I CAN say that I enjoy all their music.  Whether or not that is solely because she's so smokin' hot though I'm not sure. 

When I hear their music, usually the first thing I think is "Man... Susanna Hoffs is hot.  Very hot.  I need to go google pictures of her to assure myself that even at 73 or however old she is now she is still hot".

Then I typically get into the melody of the song, because all of their melodies are great... but then after that, I usually find my mind wandering back to thinking again about how incredibly hot Susanna Hoffs is. 
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2014, 09:03:52 PM »

I actually had more of a thing for Mickie Steele (bass player) back in the day.

One major reason Susanna looks so good nowadays (other than genetics) is because the poodle hair is gone Wink
« Last Edit: April 28, 2014, 09:06:59 PM by Pinder Goes To Kokomo » Logged
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2014, 09:10:03 PM »

I don't know Mickie Steele... is she hot?  Like, Susanna Hoffs hot?

I was at work earlier tonight, this guy comes in with his friend, and they're talking, and the one guy mentions his sister.  So the other guy goes

"Oh yeah... Susan.  Hey; did she ever get Hot?"

Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2014, 09:11:48 PM »

Go look up youtube clips. Mickie was the bassist. Not HOT like Susanna's hot but back in the day she was tall, long legs, lanky with the best style in the band. She looked kinda like the cute goth sister of a friend who you'd have a crush on.
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2014, 09:45:49 PM »

I just checked her out, yes she was cute too.  Pretty cool.

On a serious note, I really like them as a band.  I'm a sucker for strong women, love me some strong women.  Here's a group that is the ultimate punk rock band.  I absolutely love it when somebody has the balls to rebel against normalcy but does it in a way that doesn't sacrifice their dignity or offends what is so great about normalcy. 

So here's a group of punk chicks... but yet they still want to be pretty.  Here's a group of girls who write all their own music, play all their own instruments... have that indy vibe to them but still want commercial success.  Flash forward 30 years later, and here's a group of mothers who want to prove that they can still rock and tour... but make sure to do it around their kid's schedules. 

They're the ultimate feminists, they're all about showing they can do anything a man can do but don't abandon their femininity to do it. 

it's impossible to talk about a band like the Bangles (there really isn't another band like the Bangles) without talking about that subject.  With all of that said, they wrote some damn good songs. 
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2014, 09:52:30 PM »

I liked the Go-Gos better.
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2014, 09:58:54 PM »

I love "Eternal Flame", just the way they did it is very interesting to me.  You could probably analyze any song this way, but I've thought about this one a lot.  I do a lot of listening driving in my car, and i've heard this song driving a thousand times.

Susanna isn't the greatest singer in the world.  She has a pleasant enough voice but if you want her to amaze you you're going to be disappointed.  So she co-writes this song, and it's a concept song; basically she's presenting this concept of an "Eternal Flame", a play on the literal eternal flames, like the one at JFK's grave-site, and the common romantic notion of a flame, someone you have long lost love for.  

So, if you listen to the track, every time it gets to that lyric, she really enunciates it.  "An. E. Ternal. Flame."  Somehow the way she chooses to state that lyric kind of emphasizes it.  It's like as a songwriter she's trying to sell that song, she wants you to get what she's takling about.  She's really invested in you understanding the lyric... when you sing somebody else's idea you try to get the melody right, when you've written the song, you try to get the meaning right.  

When we get to the guitar solo, somehow it's as melancholy as the lyric is.  The guitar sounds like it's having a bad night.

Then you get to the end, they're building, and Susanna gives her best power ballad high note.... which isn't much if you're Faith Hill, but if you're Susanna Hoffs that her all.  

it's really a class song because she really does the best she can, with her limited range.  If Brian Wilson would put that much care into all of the songs he's burped out over the last 30 years or so, we'd appreciate them a lot more!  You're not going to find Susanna Hoffs phoning one in.  

Also, Susanna has trouble pronouncing "R" 's.  

"Ammmmm I onlllly DEEEEE-MMMINNNNNGGGGG"

Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2014, 10:19:32 PM »

Check out this kick-ass video of them doing "In your Room" 4 years ago.  They're grandmas.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dUtK9pfvC28

I like how Susanna's doing her best Kirk Hammett shredding imitation
Rob Dean
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2014, 10:38:08 PM »

Let us not forget that a certain Bangle is married to a certain Beach Boys Drummer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2014, 12:08:24 AM »

I love "Eternal Flame", just the way they did it is very interesting to me.  You could probably analyze any song this way, but I've thought about this one a lot.  I do a lot of listening driving in my car, and i've heard this song driving a thousand times.

Susanna isn't the greatest singer in the world.  She has a pleasant enough voice but if you want her to amaze you you're going to be disappointed.  So she co-writes this song, and it's a concept song; basically she's presenting this concept of an "Eternal Flame", a play on the literal eternal flames, like the one at JFK's grave-site, and the common romantic notion of a flame, someone you have long lost love for.  

So, if you listen to the track, every time it gets to that lyric, she really enunciates it.  "An. E. Ternal. Flame."  Somehow the way she chooses to state that lyric kind of emphasizes it.  It's like as a songwriter she's trying to sell that song, she wants you to get what she's takling about.  She's really invested in you understanding the lyric... when you sing somebody else's idea you try to get the melody right, when you've written the song, you try to get the meaning right.  

When we get to the guitar solo, somehow it's as melancholy as the lyric is.  The guitar sounds like it's having a bad night.

Then you get to the end, they're building, and Susanna gives her best power ballad high note.... which isn't much if you're Faith Hill, but if you're Susanna Hoffs that her all.  

it's really a class song because she really does the best she can, with her limited range.  If Brian Wilson would put that much care into all of the songs he's burped out over the last 30 years or so, we'd appreciate them a lot more!  You're not going to find Susanna Hoffs phoning one in.  

Also, Susanna has trouble pronouncing "R" 's.  

"Ammmmm I onlllly DEEEEE-MMMINNNNNGGGGG"

Great post!

Yeah, Susanna's not exactly Carl Wilson. but put her in a harmony stack, or on top of the Peterson Sister's whole genetic vocal/harmony magical thing, and she's all kinds of special sauce!
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2014, 12:15:47 AM »

I like Susannah in the group, so I thought a solo album by her would really appeal to me. But it didn't. There's something special about a group that has more than one lead singer, and the change in voices from song to song. And the harmonies! Saw the Bangles a couple times back in their heyday, loved them, then the broke up, and their reunion was kind of under the radar. If they've played within a hundred miles of where I live, I am unaware.
D409
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2014, 02:45:03 AM »

Yes, The Bangles are underrated - have promised myself that next time they venture to the UK I must go and see them !
MaryUSA
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2014, 08:35:44 PM »

Hi all,

The Bangles, another great band!!!
bringahorseinhere?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2014, 06:02:41 PM »

There I said it.

..and still is!

Oddly enough, I just watched their Behind The Music last night. I forgot how many great songs they had. Had no idea that Prince wrote "Manic Monday".

as the boys would say when they get together....'yeah, she's doable'.....

Rickb
Kurosawa
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2014, 09:10:49 PM »

I've always really liked female rock bands and female fronted rock bands...Go-Go's, Runaways, Bangles, Heart, Joy of Cooking, etc. What I really love about the Bangles is they play straight up 60's style power pop and I just love that style of music. It makes me happy, what can I say?

And it is amazing how pretty Suzanna Hoffs is. 55! WOW!

Member of the Anaheim Azusa and Cucamonga sewing circle book review and timing association (the double-ACASSN).
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2014, 10:27:23 AM »

First of all, the most beautiful Bangle was clearly Debbi Peterson. Shocked

I got back into them a couple of days ago when I stumbled upon this great live bootleg:

Re-discovering them now album-by-album. Smiley
« Last Edit: August 17, 2014, 10:29:57 AM by Lowbacca » Logged
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2014, 12:14:32 PM »

The Bangles kick ass!!
Mr. Verlander
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2014, 12:50:24 PM »

I dig The Bangles, although I absolutely hate 'Walk Like An Egyptian'. I've heard it too much!
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 17, 2014, 08:28:01 PM »

Wow, who would imagine that? He has a different style big time than what I heard by this band, "Manic Monday" more so. It borders on lightweight.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2014, 04:04:41 AM »

Check out Susanna's Sid & Susie Under The Covers albums with that nice Mr. Sweet: the 60s one is stellar, and the 70s one is worth it for the Yes cover ("I've Seen All Good People: Your Move") alone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMjYadg1Dsw

Thank me later.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx