gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 12:13:17 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Beach Boys Survivor #32 Winner: Lahaina Aloha  (Read 57764 times)
smilethebeachboysloveyou
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #150 on: May 08, 2014, 12:13:52 PM »

The lyrics to "Summer in Paradise" are either Mike's worst or a brilliant self-parody.  I still remember the first time I heard the album, when I heard the line:
"Surfer's recycle now, don't you know
Like everyone from California to…"
there was just enough time in that pause for me to think "Oh, for the love of God, don't say…" before Mike finally said "Kokomo."

In any case, Jardine's vocal on "Strange Things Happen" is probably the second best vocal performance on the album, after his own turn on the chorus of "Slow Summer Dancing (One Summer Night)," but they still aren't good enough to overcome the song's other weaknesses in bad TM-inflected lyrics and a dull melody.  Which means I'll have to vote for "Lahaina Aloha."
RiC
Smiley Smile Associate

One and Only

View Profile
« Reply #151 on: May 08, 2014, 01:16:56 PM »

Strange things happen.
TimeToGetAlone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #152 on: May 08, 2014, 01:26:42 PM »

Lahaina Aloha, the one song on the album I actually like.
Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #153 on: May 08, 2014, 01:31:27 PM »

I know I want it, So it can stay, Girl it ain't gonna sail away...

Lahaina Aloha

Check out the Mono/Stereo Mix Breakdown podcast Mixology here: https://mixology.podbean.com/
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #154 on: May 08, 2014, 02:51:36 PM »

Having just had the pleasure of listening to two of the remaining three tracks (iPhone shuffle) during a very long drive (okay, long by UK standards!), I have to say I'd forgotten how bad the title track was, and how good Lahaina Aloha is. Didn't have the pleasure of Strange Things happen but my overall preference is now for Lahaina Aloha. The live version of SiP rocks, but the studio version sounds like a first-ever run-through, stilted and stiff by comparison to the live track.

Lahaina Aloha has my vote.

“We live in divisive times.”
Nicko1234
« Reply #155 on: May 08, 2014, 03:01:13 PM »

Lahaina Aloha (despite the horrible drums)
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #156 on: May 08, 2014, 03:03:32 PM »

Holy SIP, what a dire top 3.

Strange Things Happen

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #157 on: May 08, 2014, 03:31:15 PM »

Lahaina Aloha

Summer's gone...it's finally sinking in
bluesno1fann
« Reply #158 on: May 08, 2014, 04:07:24 PM »

Summer In Paradise

Purely for the UK version. Much, much better than the original US version.
joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #159 on: May 08, 2014, 04:32:39 PM »

Lahaina Aloha
Quzi
Smiley Smile Associate

Eagerly awaiting tHe BeDRoOM TaPES

View Profile
« Reply #160 on: May 08, 2014, 07:24:37 PM »

Lahaina Aloha

"A/S/L"?
"Age:24. That's when Brian Wilson made Pet Sounds. Sex: Brian Wilson was having loads of sex with Marilyn when he made Pet Sounds. Location: Gold Star Studios, where Brian Wilson assembled with the Wrecking Crew to make Pet Sounds. Hbu?"
Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #161 on: May 08, 2014, 09:06:03 PM »

Lahaina Aloha
lee
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #162 on: May 09, 2014, 01:59:48 PM »

Lahaina Aloha - the only track I really enjoy on the album
Fall Breaks
Smiley Smile Associate

How it really got to my soul

View Profile
« Reply #163 on: May 09, 2014, 02:06:10 PM »

Lahaina Aloha

"I think people should write better melodies and sing a little sweeter, and knock off that stupid rap crap, y’know? Rap is really ridiculous" -- Brian Wilson, 2010
baseball95
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #164 on: May 09, 2014, 02:45:18 PM »

Lahaina Aloha
MaxL
Smiley Smile Associate

"It's a damn shame"

View Profile
« Reply #165 on: May 09, 2014, 04:38:46 PM »

Love both Strange Things Happen (the outro alone is probably the highlight of the whole album to me) and Lahaina Aloha, love the atmosphere of the latter.

I'll vote for Lahaina Aloha.
J.G. Dev
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #166 on: May 10, 2014, 07:36:06 AM »

Lahaina Aloha...Carl saves this one
zachrwolfe
« Reply #167 on: May 10, 2014, 08:47:46 AM »

« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 08:15:18 PM by zatch » Logged
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #168 on: May 10, 2014, 11:19:34 AM »

Lahaina Aloha
feelsflow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #169 on: May 10, 2014, 11:43:13 AM »

Great summation of this record Zach, but after listening to most of it a few days ago - I had to, as it had gotten that I couldn't remember which ones were truly "the worst," I found some were worth mentioning.
I own the American copy.  Remember "Walking in the Sand" is okay.  "Hot Fun in the Summertime" was much better live, yes I was still going to some of their shows in 1992 and 1993 (in Concord, CA - the last time I saw the band with Carl, Stamos made me want to vomit my snack).  Some of it was great (lowercase) though.  Thank goodness Carl started recording with Gerry and Robert - a much better end to his career.
The originals, "Island Fever" "Strange Things Happen" and the one that gets my vote as "best" here - "LAHAINA ALOHA"
Hawaii is a nice place to visit.  I tried to live there in 1970-'71, but left after four months.
You know, I was reading something Rei posted this morning that said Mike took control of the band in 1978.  Maybe for M.I.U., but not after that - not on record anyway.  Until this record, yeah, this was Mike's Beach Boys.  Carl stepped back and went along with it.  I've never been sure why.  I still listen to Mike's other projects (Looking Back With Love is okay in my book, and the Celebration albums - I still play them), but this...  Let's have a Mike song win this round.

...if you are honest - you have no idea where childhood ends and maturity begins.  It is all endless and all one.  ~ P.L. Travers        And, let's get this out of the way now, everything I post is my opinion.  ~ Will
bluesno1fann
« Reply #170 on: May 10, 2014, 03:08:06 PM »

Great summation of this record Zach, but after listening to most of it a few days ago - I had to, as it had gotten that I couldn't remember which ones were truly "the worst," I found some were worth mentioning.
I own the American copy.  Remember "Walking in the Sand" is okay.  "Hot Fun in the Summertime" was much better live, yes I was still going to some of their shows in 1992 and 1993 (in Concord, CA - the last time I saw the band with Carl, Stamos made me want to vomit my snack).  Some of it was great (lowercase) though.  Thank goodness Carl started recording with Gerry and Robert - a much better end to his career.
The originals, "Island Fever" "Strange Things Happen" and the one that gets my vote as "best" here - "LAHAINA ALOHA"
Hawaii is a nice place to visit.  I tried to live there in 1970-'71, but left after four months.
You know, I was reading something Rei posted this morning that said Mike took control of the band in 1978.  Maybe for M.I.U., but not after that - not on record anyway.  Until this record, yeah, this was Mike's Beach Boys.  Carl stepped back and went along with it.  I've never been sure why.  I still listen to Mike's other projects (Looking Back With Love is okay in my book, and the Celebration albums - I still play them), but this...  Let's have a Mike song win this round.

I have posted a few times about Mike Love taking over the band with 15 Big Ones in the past (with Love You, L.A. Light Album, and the 85 album being the exceptions. Coincidence that those are the 3 above-decent albums to come out of that period?), and I did post a few times this morning.
But I didn't post about this topic this morning. You must have got me mistaken for someone else.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2014, 04:53:59 PM by Love Surrounds Me » Logged
feelsflow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #171 on: May 10, 2014, 03:55:25 PM »

Rei,  It's in the Wikipedia = Wrinkles thread, where you proudly put up a link (the first one) to a simplistic, ridiculous/gossip rag like piece, mostly about their personal lives.  tragic - in a world where Denny's POB is held in as high regard as "the best of The Beach Boys records," and only Denny's record gets any mention in the field of solo/other projects that any Beach Boy took part in.  The article needs that "Wiki Magic" of which they speak - and quick.  You said you were "modifying" it.  So you must have read it.  I see you now have exceptions, maybe those should be noted in the article.  I'm fixing to shut down my board wandering for the night, but will try and post a reply there tomorrow.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2014, 04:01:16 PM by feelsflow » Logged

...if you are honest - you have no idea where childhood ends and maturity begins.  It is all endless and all one.  ~ P.L. Travers        And, let's get this out of the way now, everything I post is my opinion.  ~ Will
bluesno1fann
« Reply #172 on: May 10, 2014, 04:53:11 PM »

Rei,  It's in the Wikipedia = Wrinkles thread, where you proudly put up a link (the first one) to a simplistic, ridiculous/gossip rag like piece, mostly about their personal lives.  tragic - in a world where Denny's POB is held in as high regard as "the best of The Beach Boys records," and only Denny's record gets any mention in the field of solo/other projects that any Beach Boy took part in.  The article needs that "Wiki Magic" of which they speak - and quick.  You said you were "modifying" it.  So you must have read it.  I see you now have exceptions, maybe those should be noted in the article.  I'm fixing to shut down my board wandering for the night, but will try and post a reply there tomorrow.

Ohh... well it isn't really a gossip rag or whatever, it's just information on the band. And I didn't write anything about Mike Love and the Decline Of The Beach Boys, it was already there when I made some touch-ups. It does need more of a touch-up, I just added more information and corrected some incorrect information. Which is why I posted it on the Wikipedia = Wrinkles thread, so people from here can also contribute to that and touch up the page. Because TV Tropes is a very popular site, and the Beach Boys page needs a well-deserved fix-up!
Nicko1234
« Reply #173 on: May 10, 2014, 05:35:48 PM »

I have posted a few times about Mike Love taking over the band with 15 Big Ones in the past (with Love You, L.A. Light Album, and the 85 album being the exceptions. Coincidence that those are the 3 above-decent albums to come out of that period?), and I did post a few times this morning.
But I didn't post about this topic this morning. You must have got me mistaken for someone else.

Nah, Mike wasn`t in charge of KTSA either (his solo songs that were considered were all omitted).

Mike only really took over when Terry Melcher became producer and even then he wasn`t in complete charge as Al and Brian both had songs on Still Cruisin`.
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #174 on: May 10, 2014, 08:57:18 PM »

Bear with me folks. We are almost out of the DARK AGES for the Beach Boys.

Summer in Paradise is the twenty-seventh studio album by American rock band the Beach Boys, released on August 3, 1992 on Brother Records. Produced by Terry Melcher, it has been described as the band's critical and commercial low point.[1] The Beach Boys did not record another album of original material until That's Why God Made the Radio in 2012.
Summer in Paradise was left out of Capitol's Beach Boys re-issue campaign in 2000 and 2001, and is currently out of print.

3 smilers should abstain from "touching" their baby.

4 smilers took Mike's advice to bring back Summer in Paradise.

And the winner (overwhelmingly so) with 20 votes...

Lahaina Aloha

Round#1 - Surfin' April 30
Round#1 - Summer of Love April 30
Round#2 - Forever May 2
Round#2 - Remember (Walking in the Sand) May 2
Round#3 - Hot Fun in the Summertime May 4
Round#3 - Under the Boardwalk May 4
Round#4 - Still Surfin' May 6
Round#4 - Slow Summer Dancin' (One Summer Night) May 6
Round#5 - Island Fever May 8
Round#6 - Strange Things Happen May 10
Round#6 - Summer in Paradise May 10

3 fresh (and final) threads of Beach Boys Survivor begin tomorrow.

THE BEGINNING OF THE END!!!  Shocked

3D
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx