gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680755 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 20, 2024, 10:26:15 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: That Pesky In Concert 'Rhonda' guitar solo  (Read 3210 times)
Phoenix
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: January 31, 2016, 07:30:58 PM »

We've debated the performer of said piece endlessly and while his identity is still unknown (tho likely, either Carl, Blondie, or Ed), I'm fully convinced it's the same person who provided the solo on the Made In California live version of "It's About Time". So when Craig gives us that info, we'll finally have our answer. Unfortunately, as I started this thread, I realized he may only be able to tell us who played ON that particular recording, but not specifically which guitarist played which part, as is the case with In Concert tracks in the first place, leading to the question still left unanswered but hey, fingers crossed, huh?  Thumbs Up
« Last Edit: February 01, 2016, 06:34:51 AM by Phoenix » Logged
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2016, 08:42:34 PM »

Uh...
Phoenix
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2016, 08:52:12 PM »

Uh, oh.  Sad
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2016, 03:50:23 AM »

Uh, oh.  Sad

Sorry to scare you, Phoenix...they'll be a sessionography, no worries. But solving the dilemma of the live "Rhonda" guitar solo may prove a bit daunting...we'll see.
Phoenix
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2016, 06:33:38 AM »

I never doubted the sessionography. I just thought one might help solve the other. Ah, well. What's life without a little eternal mystery, right? Smiley
Bill M
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2016, 09:08:45 AM »

Uh, oh.  Sad

Sorry to scare you, Phoenix...they'll be a sessionography, no worries. But solving the dilemma of the live "Rhonda" guitar solo may prove a bit daunting...we'll see.

C-man, since you're probably the most respected "who-played-what" guy here, can you at least give your unofficial opinion of who does the "Rhonda" guitar solo on BBIC?  Thanks!
Steve Latshaw
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2016, 07:28:31 AM »

I checked with Billy Hinsche, who was pretty sure he remembered.  He, in turn, checked with Ed Carter to confirm.

Here's his email:

"Hi Steve

Both Ed Carter and I concur:

Key of A (as opposed to the normal key of C#), up tempo rock shuffle feel.  Al singing lead vocal, Billy on Wurly keyboard solo / Blondie on lead guitar solo played on his vintage Gibson Gold Top guitar (still plays this guitar in Brian's band.  Too much information?!)

BH"
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2016, 08:02:19 AM »

Someone definitely needs to tell Billy that that's *not* too much information!

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Phoenix
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2016, 12:44:43 PM »

Wow.  Seriously. Tell him he's welcome to come by and "bore" us with that kind of info anytime!  Grin
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2016, 03:36:50 PM »

My thought was always that it was Blondie, until someone here recently made a good case for it possibly being Eddie. But Blondie appeared to be playing that solo a year before on the Crystal Palace Bowl video (although with the way that video was edited, Blondie and Eddie appear to switch instruments at some point - can't remember if it's that song or not)! I don't think Eddie took on the "Rhonda" solo until after Bruce returned and started playing bass on it.

As for "It's About Time", I would think that was still Carl doing the lead when they dusted it off in '73, but I'd have to listen again (which I will, eventually).
Phoenix
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2016, 04:20:58 PM »

My thought was always that it was Blondie, until someone here recently made a good case for it possibly being Eddie. But Blondie appeared to be playing that solo a year before on the Crystal Palace Bowl video (although with the way that video was edited, Blondie and Eddie appear to switch instruments at some point - can't remember if it's that song or not)! I don't think Eddie took on the "Rhonda" solo until after Bruce returned and started playing bass on it.

As for "It's About Time", I would think that was still Carl doing the lead when they dusted it off in '73, but I'd have to listen again (which I will, eventually).

Thanks for weighing in (as usual). To me those bends, about midway through the solo in "It's About Time" sounded identical to the ones in the IC "Rhonda" at first listen but now, even before you weighed in today, I'm not so sure.

One mystery solved, another opened. Let us know what you find out, huh?  Wink
« Last Edit: February 02, 2016, 04:24:16 PM by Phoenix » Logged
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2016, 06:55:30 AM »

The guitar solo on the live "It's About Time" from 1973 is Blondie. Listening through headphones, you can clearly hear Carl start the song on his guitar (as he did with most songs when performing them in concert) in the left channel, then eventually another guitar comes in over on the right, playing that squiggly lead line, and ultimately the wild breaks and solo. You can also hear Al's rhythm guitar a bit fainter over on the right. The lead guitar is playing notes faster than Carl was ever known to, and the really wild, careening ending is far more indicative of Blondie than of Ed Carter. Also, I don't think Eddie played many (or any) solos while Blondie was in the band...he played some lead guitar, for sure, while Blondie was playing bass, but those instances were probably limited to fills here and there, and not outright "solos".

Also of interest is the fact that during the middle wordless vocal break, I really only hear Carl (on the main melodic line) and Mike (on the bass vocal) - not Al, like we hear on the record.
Phoenix
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2016, 07:48:22 AM »

Thanks so much!  I think we can now, finally put a fork in the original "mystery", which as you pointed out, was never really a mystery to you in the first place. It's just more proof we should just trust you from the get do. I hope life is treating you well and am so glad you care as much about the minutia as some of the rest of us.
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2016, 08:34:14 PM »

Thanks so much!  I think we can now, finally put a fork in the original "mystery", which as you pointed out, was never really a mystery to you in the first place. It's just more proof we should just trust you from the get do. I hope life is treating you well and am so glad you care as much about the minutia as some of the rest of us.

It's more like an obsession - like how Fox Mulder knows that the truth is out there, and is single-minded in his quest to find it - to the point of being obsessive-compulsive disorder king. At least my sister was never abducted by aliens!  3D
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx