gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 01:21:59 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Does this song sound familiar to anyone here?  (Read 11873 times)
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« on: April 25, 2014, 02:17:42 AM »

It's been baffling me for a couple of years now. Like its uploader, I have no idea. How about you?  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtFUIbmIJEU

I should add that I've followed up every imaginable lead and all I ever found was the snatch of lyrics mentioned in one of the Comments. A major problem is that what I assume is the title (it's sung twice at the climax) is impossible to make out----at least it's unintelllgible to me. I have this idea that the song comes from Central or Eastern Europe----just a hunch...    
« Last Edit: April 25, 2014, 10:06:49 AM by john k » Logged

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2016, 05:08:18 AM »

More than two years later, I'm still baffled. Maybe there's a poster who has joined since then who can shed even just a glimmer of light on who it might be...  

All I can find of the lyrics are these two lines from the second (?) verse:

"How can you tell me to move on with my life
When all I want is another try"

In just this one place (scroll right down): http://community.livejournal.com/_morethanasong/?skip=360

The date given for the quote is September 13, 2004----and that's all there is to go on.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2016, 08:04:58 AM by john k » Logged

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2016, 02:41:35 AM »

Sorry for harping on about this song but I will identify it even if it kiils me.

At 1:35, the singer sings what must be the title twice. (The faint word heard on the one may be part of it.)

With so many keen-eared music fans round these parts, surely there is someone who can give me some idea of what she might be singing!

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2016, 03:07:14 AM »

It sounds a lot like Jewel singing the lyrics to me.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2016, 03:18:32 AM »

Or maybe Anna Nalick? At this point, I'm just as curios as you!  Grin

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2016, 04:01:53 AM »

Or maybe Anna Nalick? At this point, I'm just as curios as you!  Grin

Tried those two on your advice. It's neither of them in my opinion.

The uploader, deathclaw555, is from Slovakia. Which is why I've always tended to think that it comes from that part of the world. The singer's accent and enunciation of the English lyrics (slightly stilted English but in a nice way) confirm my suspicions.

It's certainly not Rihanna, as someone once seriously suggested. LOL   

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2016, 02:01:00 PM »

These, to the best of my knowledge, are the lyrics.
The recording is incomplete:

Can I show you how much I love you
So I don't have to live without you
Would it be all right to say* forever
When you've already said never

Does it mean I'm lost without you
Does it mean I'll never have you
I'm lost without you

CHORUS [unintelligible----if only!]

Can I tell you how much I need you
'Cause I've ruined everything again
How can you tell me to move on with my life
When all I want is another try

Does it mean I'm lost without you

* I originally thought this was "stay"...
« Last Edit: August 16, 2016, 01:55:30 PM by john k » Logged

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2016, 05:15:30 PM »

With such typical lyrics - as per Dhani Harrison, 99% of songs are about hearbreak - there's no chance to ID the song. Maybe smb. will recognize the melody.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2016, 02:13:45 AM »

With such typical lyrics - as per Dhani Harrison, 99% of songs are about hearbreak - there's no chance to ID the song. Maybe smb. will recognize the melody.

It's the chorus that will provide the clue to identifying the song. And the provenance of the singer's English accent----that would help. Now I'm thrashing about on Slovak, Czech and recently Polish music sites but that's needle-in-a-haystack stuff.

The person who quoted those two lines from the song lives/lived in Canada and (I discovered) likes Japanese pop, but this doesn't sound in the slightest bit Japanese. I believe she even has some sort of a contact address there but I'm not taking that risk!   

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2016, 02:41:26 PM »

Can anyone with better ears (and equipment) than me hear a bass guitar during the heavy section, or maybe just during the chorus?

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2016, 02:47:18 PM »

Have you tried doing a search based on those lyrics? The more I think about it, the more I know I've heard the song before. I really think it's being sung by an American.

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2016, 03:29:11 PM »

Have you tried doing a search based on those lyrics? The more I think about it, the more I know I've heard the song before. I really think it's being sung by an American.

I've repeatedly done searches for each line individually and in pairs----to no avail. Maybe it's me but I find the lyrics a tiny bit simplistic for a US or UK band, unless it's a VU and Nico-style set-up... 

I have a similar feeling to yours of having heard it before----something to do with the crispness of the snare tattoos (as if the drummer had been trained in a marching band, like Simon Kirke of Free). It's from before September 2004 (which is when two of its lines were quoted in that blog) but how long before? And does it fall under grunge, emo... how does one categorize it? That might help, followed by a search for proficient drummers in that genre...         

Peadar 'Big Dinner' O'Driscoll
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2016, 04:02:15 AM »

Song recognition software didn't help unfortunately Huh

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2016, 04:40:37 AM »

Song recognition software didn't help unfortunately Huh
Thanks for trying, MBW.

I thought maybe this style could be described as "Gothic Metal". But I've checked out a number of female-fronted bands in that area and none of them sounds remotely like this... 

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2016, 05:01:41 AM »

The guitar riff is what I swear I've heard before.

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2016, 05:23:35 AM »

The guitar riff is what I swear I've heard before.

It's in B flat, according to my trusty tuning fork, but the guitars and bass may have been tuned up a semitone. These things happen.

I'm no guitarist but the "lie" of the chords is curious----is the player plucking with three fingers and missing out strings? They seem to be sliding down and up the neck in a single position of three notes in fifths. I first thought it might be a trebly bass playing way up the neck but surely it's too high-pitched for that...           

I suppose all this keeps the mind active.  Grin

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2016, 08:29:03 AM »

I'm no guitarist but the "lie" of the chords is curious----is the player plucking with three fingers and missing out strings? They seem to be sliding down and up the neck in a single position of three notes in fifths. I first thought it might be a trebly bass playing way up the neck but surely it's too high-pitched for that... 

What do you think the set-up of those opening chords is? It sounds to me like strumming but the intervals seem too great a stretch----unless the instrument was tuned in power chords or something.  Please explain to this dense pianist.

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2016, 09:05:24 AM »

What do you think the set-up of those opening chords is? It sounds to me like strumming but the intervals seem too great a stretch----unless the instrument was tuned in power chords or something.  Please explain to this dense pianist.

Those are what I call the "Andy Summers Chords", voicings in fourths. It's the same shapes Summers used on Message In A Bottle and Every Breath You Take. In fact, this specific song uses a similar if not the same chord layout as Summers on Every Breath.

On this song, the root chords are Bb to Gmin. It can be played on the lowest 4 strings, EADG. It can start on the 6th fret E, 8th fret A, and 10th fret D. Then they take it up to the major 3rd note "D", 7th fret G string, then back to the fourths shape. It shifts down to 3rd fret E, 5th fret A, and 7th fret D, up to the minor 3rd note "Bb", and back.

Notes of the arpeggios: Bb, F, C and up to D...then G, D, A and up to Bb.

Borrowed from Andy Summers on Every Breath You Take. They also could have had a capo on the third fret which would make the Gm arpeggio an easier reach.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2016, 09:37:15 AM »

Those are what I call the "Andy Summers Chords", voicings in fourths. It's the same shapes Summers used on Message In A Bottle and Every Breath You Take. In fact, this specific song uses a similar if not the same chord layout as Summers on Every Breath.

On this song, the root chords are Bb to Gmin. It can be played on the lowest 4 strings, EADG. It can start on the 6th fret E, 8th fret A, and 10th fret D. Then they take it up to the major 3rd note "D", 7th fret G string, then back to the fourths shape. It shifts down to 3rd fret E, 5th fret A, and 7th fret D, up to the minor 3rd note "Bb", and back.

Borrowed from Andy Summers on Every Breath You Take. They also could have had a capo on the third fret which would make the Gm arpeggio an easier reach.

I've never associated the riff of "EBYT" with a single position----not being a guitarist, I suppose. So the first chord avails itself of the G-string for the shift in the top note, whereas that shift in the second chord is small enough to make on the same string.   

Thanks very much, gf.

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2016, 09:44:59 AM »

I've never associated the riff of "EBYT" with a single position----not being a guitarist, I suppose. So the first chord avails itself of the G-string for the shift in the top note, whereas that shift in the second chord is small enough to make on the same string.   

Thanks very much, gf.

The shift on the second chord wouldn't be on the same string, it would be on the "G" as well. The way Summers did it was the G is an open string, so that's why I thought this mystery song's guitar may have been capo'ed on the 3rd fret to get the same effect Summers did on EBYT. If that note being shifted to on the G would have been stretched on the same string D, you'd lose some of the sustaining sound from the other strings. When Summers shifts strings to the G, it gives a different tonal quality because it's an open string.

Disclaimer: Many, many "official" songbooks and tab books have both EBYT and Message tabbed out in incorrect positions. Right notes, but some truly awful positions that are not what Summers played. And the recording of EBYT depending on where you get it can be sped up and sound out of key compared to where he played it. Chalk that up to mastering or that they sped the tape up a bit for a sonic boost. Even the "official" Police guitar books can fall short, yet you can see Summers himself playing both songs on a number of videos.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2016, 01:31:37 AM »

Thanks very much, gf.

The shift on the second chord wouldn't be on the same string, it would be on the "G" as well. The way Summers did it was the G is an open string, so that's why I thought this mystery song's guitar may have been capo'ed on the 3rd fret to get the same effect Summers did on EBYT. If that note being shifted to on the G would have been stretched on the same string D, you'd lose some of the sustaining sound from the other strings. When Summers shifts strings to the G, it gives a different tonal quality because it's an open string.

Disclaimer: Many, many "official" songbooks and tab books have both EBYT and Message tabbed out in incorrect positions. Right notes, but some truly awful positions that are not what Summers played. And the recording of EBYT depending on where you get it can be sped up and sound out of key compared to where he played it. Chalk that up to mastering or that they sped the tape up a bit for a sonic boost. Even the "official" Police guitar books can fall short, yet you can see Summers himself playing both songs on a number of videos.

Thanks for the info (again). I like the capo idea. It sounds like there's a second more electric sounding guitar playing the notes B flat and G under the top notes of those chords during the verses. Maybe this guitar slams on the distortion when it shifts to E flat. There must be a bass guitar in there somewhere but it's very hard to pick out (with my equipment anyway). 

Oddly, I've never warmed to "EBYT" (to say nothing of Puff Daddy's remake!). "MIAB" is another matter. Looking at "EBYT"'s wikipage I see Summers had just recorded I Advanced Masked with Fripp and was "sort of experimenting with playing Bartok violin duets" at the time. At all events, I'll be listening to "EBYT" with different ears in future!

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2016, 01:43:34 AM »

Now that I think about it, I'm almost positive that I've heard this song in a tv show.

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 05, 2016, 02:38:12 AM »

Now that I think about it, I'm almost positive that I've heard this song in a tv show.

I suppose the thing now is find out what US TV shows were telecast in Slovakia in January 2012 up to the 23rd, when the vid was uploaded. (Of course it may not necessarily have been a Slovakian channel.) I'm not on YouTube (I left out of protest) otherwise I'd approach deathclaw555 to see if he can remember where he heard it...

« Last Edit: September 05, 2016, 02:46:49 AM by john k » Logged

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 05, 2016, 02:41:14 AM »

I really think it might be American made,

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 05, 2016, 02:47:50 AM »

I really think it might be American made,

Are you jaywhofan on YouTube? Perhaps you could ask him! Grin

gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx