gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680755 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 20, 2024, 02:15:13 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: We've lost another one...  (Read 3801 times)
Ed Roach
Honored Guest

View Profile
« on: April 23, 2014, 06:07:29 PM »

Just got word that Garby Leon has passed
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2014, 06:16:00 PM »

What?! Oh no

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2014, 06:27:03 PM »

Garby Leon.  Dennis and Brian Wilson worked on music projects in his Venice home around 1981.  Didn't the "Cocaine Tape" demo originate there? I think he worked on "Stevie" and "Night Blooming Jasmine" with Brian or Dennis, didn't he? And I remember he was a speaker at the Denny Bash in 2003.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Gertie J.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2014, 06:29:00 PM »

r.i.p. garby

dj, blogger, and hanger-on
Ed Roach
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2014, 06:35:13 PM »

Garby Leon.  Dennis and Brian Wilson worked on music projects in his Venice home around 1981.  Didn't the "Cocaine Tape" demo originate there? I think he worked on "Stevie" and "Night Blooming Jasmine" with Brian or Dennis, didn't he? And I remember he was a speaker at the Denny Bash in 2003.

Yes
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2014, 06:40:00 PM »

Willing to share a memory or two about Garby, Ed?

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2014, 08:23:30 PM »

Very sorry for your loss, Ed.
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2014, 08:36:05 PM »

Damn, that's sad.
Ed Roach
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2014, 09:14:29 PM »

Willing to share a memory or two about Garby, Ed?

Still trying to digest this one, so give me some time for stories.  The very dear friend Michael Grady gave me the news, and he sums up Garby's very well here:

Michael Grady: Garby's never closed... and with a Hammond B-3 w/ Leslie , 1917 Ebony Steinway Baby Grand and a couple of reel to reels in the dining room, the place was a sanctuary and only 50 yrds. from The Venice Boardwalk. It was no wonder why friends like Dennis and Brian Wilson felt at home. Love ya Garb...

I will add that it was a hell of an experience to listen to Dennis jam there with Jesse Ed Davis, or walk in on Rickie Lee Jones on that Steinway...  And somehow, before the sun came up, Garby would manage to clear us all out of there, so he could get ready to head off to UCLA...
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2014, 05:16:35 AM »

R.I.P.

Didn't he also work on "City blues" ? I might be misremembering

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
feelsflow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2014, 02:07:03 PM »

Sorry to hear that you've lost your friend.  At our age it's just become part of life.  I think about it nearly every day.  peace be with you brother Ed, Will

...if you are honest - you have no idea where childhood ends and maturity begins.  It is all endless and all one.  ~ P.L. Travers        And, let's get this out of the way now, everything I post is my opinion.  ~ Will
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2014, 03:39:35 AM »

R.I.P.

Didn't he also work on "City blues" ? I might be misremembering

In Brian's conversation with Les Chan and a couple of other fans in December 1981 (recorded clandestinely for all to hear later), he (Brian) states that he wrote "City Blues" with Dennis and Garby. It's also known that Garby co-produced Brian's song "Stevie" with Dennis in January of that year. In turns out that "Night Blooming Jasmine" was recorded in early '79, apparently with no involvement from Dennis or Garby (that was mis-inferred from the same conversation with Brian, but he doesn't actually state or imply that).
bluesno1fann
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2014, 05:01:28 AM »

R.I.P.
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2014, 11:39:15 AM »

In Brian's conversation with Les Chan and a couple of other fans in December 1981 (recorded clandestinely for all to hear later), he (Brian) states that he wrote "City Blues" with Dennis and Garby. It's also known that Garby co-produced Brian's song "Stevie" with Dennis in January of that year. In turns out that "Night Blooming Jasmine" was recorded in early '79, apparently with no involvement from Dennis or Garby (that was mis-inferred from the same conversation with Brian, but he doesn't actually state or imply that).

So are we talking about the "Night Bloomin' Jasmine" from the reissue of Brian Wilson? That's from 1979? Where? What month?
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2014, 08:26:38 AM »

So are we talking about the "Night Bloomin' Jasmine" from the reissue of Brian Wilson? That's from 1979? Where? What month?

Tom Murphy's studio, February of '79. Apparently the same session as a version of "Romeo and Juliet", which Brian cut for American Spring. In his December '81 conversation with Les and friends, Brian mentioned it by name when asked what songs might be on the Beach Boys' upcoming album, but there was no reference to Dennis or Garby being involved in that one. What he said was: "...there's one called 'Night Blooming Jasmine'...I wrote it".  When asked about "City Blues", Brian said "'City Blues' is a song that Dennis and I and a friend of his named Garby wrote together, which is pretty good...". 
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2014, 12:12:19 AM »

I have a date of February 21st for "JLRAJ".

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx