gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680871 Posts in 27617 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 30, 2024, 11:28:24 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Once Upon a Time… – a hypothetical question.  (Read 15304 times)
Stephen W. Desper
Honored Guest

Maintain Dynamics - Keep Peaks below 100%

View Profile WWW
« on: April 21, 2014, 08:35:53 AM »

Once Upon a Time… – a hypothetical question.

Suppose one day you are visited by an apparition, in the form of a magic genie. The genie says you have been selected to receive any sum of money (tax free) if you agree to never hear or have access to any Beach Boy music for the rest of your life. If you agree, any time Beach Boy music is presented to your hearing, all you will hear is noise, from any CD, LP, broadcast or live concert. Any time the image of a Beach Boy is presented to your sight, all you will see is fog, from any book, magazine, printed material, screen, or stage show. In other words, the genie explains, any thing “Beach Boy” will be removed from your awareness for the rest of your natural life. Only your memories of the music will remain. All you need to do is name your price and it will be done.

So the question for you to ponder – and I mean in a serious way – is how much money would you be willing to accept in exchange for the above conditions?  Several thousand dollars, a million dollars, several million, or would you just decline the offer.

The old adage, “everything has its price” is in play here. What would you tell the genie?
Charles LePage @ ComicList
Chairman Of The Board

Hit me with your pet shark.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2014, 08:55:12 AM »

Given that I have no guarantee that I will always be able to hear Beach Boys music or see the Beach Boys, no more than I have a guarantee I will always be able to eat dark chocolate; and given that there are multiple ways I could be a blessing to others if I had access to a sum of tax free money; I can't say the answer would be an absolute "no."  However, depending on how much currency I ask for, and the country of origin of the currency, I could essentially destroy the value of a nation's currency, which would make my sacrifice pointless. 

There's a lot to consider here before coming to a final answer.

"quiet here, no one got crap to say?" - bringahorseinhere
LostArt
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2014, 09:22:58 AM »

Gee, Stephen, what a question!  Wasn't this a "Twilight Zone" episode?   Wink  If I could retain all memories of the music, I'd still be able to 'listen' whenever I wanted.  And as long as everyone else can still hear the music....hmmm.  A few million dollars would put my daughter through any college that she chooses, and would keep me living very comfortably for the rest of my life.  Tell the genie that there's a sucker in Wisconsin who would take ten million dollars.
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2014, 09:40:39 AM »

Aww jeez....  I don't listen to CDs tapes whatever now as  all their songs are firmly, magically ensconced inside; BUT, not being able to see/touch my current collection and the cool stuff yet to come??!? 
  I'll take 1  Trillion dollars, destroy every economy everywhere, scoop up every collectable I've ever wanted, then spend the rest to make everyone everywhere happy  *** 

***    If I like you.....

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2014, 09:42:55 AM »

Do you like me bgas? Wink

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2014, 10:03:03 AM »

I would never take that deal. Beach Boys music is priceless!
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2014, 10:16:52 AM »

I'd have to tell the genie that there's no way he could possibly recompense me for the amount I've ALREADY spent on Beach Boys' and related music*. Back in yer bottle, fiend!!!!!

* confession: supported one or two East Asian economies, I confess!

“We live in divisive times.”
TimeToGetAlone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2014, 10:20:46 AM »

I'm not greedy.  I'll take $50 million and run. Evil
The 4th Wilson Bro.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2014, 11:01:53 AM »

$100 million is my price.  I've got expensive tastes, not to mention a wife (I realize I'm being redundant).

I can make this deal with no regret, since you gave me an out.  I've still got my memories of that wonderful music, which I can conjure up in my head at any time.  And the memories of the Boys, including my hero, the great Carl Wilson.

Think of it: Filthy rich, AND a lifetime of memories of the greatest music and the greatest band in the history of the world.

Thanks, Mr. Desper.  You made my day.
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2014, 11:10:09 AM »

I would do it for maybe $500,000.00

I would miss it, but it's not as though the only way to enrich one's life is to listen to only the Beach Boys.
DonnyL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2014, 11:18:59 AM »

I feel embarrassed to say this, but I don't believe I would take the offer at all. I feel the group's music has been too much of a spiritual guide for me in my life.

Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2014, 12:13:50 PM »

The memories part is key. And my price would be a cool billion, since we're able to name it.
Orange Crate Art
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2014, 12:36:58 PM »

No deal.

Hey did you hear that George fell into his French horn?
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2014, 12:53:25 PM »

This hypothetical genie is sitting on a bad business model. If he were to flip the scenario, and instead of offering a payment for removing a positive, pleasant experience offer the same elimination of the negatives in pop culture, music, etc in return for a small fee...he'd be sitting on a goldmine.

Offer a sliding scale for payment so the elimination could be paid for and applied to anyone or anything the customer wishes to avoid, from politicians to political pundits to the Kardashians to Beiber to Chris Brown to "The View" talk show to overrated NFL wide receivers to whatever else...

I'd pay. And the genie would need to hire a staff of genies to keep up with the demand.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2014, 01:18:45 PM »

You know........I would LOVE to completely pay off my house and one of the cars. Go on vacations all over the world. Be debt free until I die.

Remove The Beach Boys from my life? 

No dice.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
SenorPotatoHead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2014, 01:43:51 PM »

I've had many years of hearing the music they made, and though it would be a loss to no longer be able to hear it (though not seeing their pictures would be less of a loss) - I would have to say, that if I can name my price, tax free - a billion dollars ought to do it.   I would personally only be keeping a tiny fraction of this amount, the rest would go to many needed people/places/things. 

Sorry "Boys" but there's other amazing, beautiful music to listen to and times demand sacrifice.

btw, how would this apply to cover versions by others?   Could one hear those?  Not that I'd particularly want to, but curious.....
bringahorseinhere?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2014, 02:07:31 PM »

oooooh, no more 'sunflower'...... 'brian Wilson 67' period...... no more sinking into a 'pet sounds' session...

no documentaries......no more hearing upcoming/new treats from 'the vault'....... no more smiley smiling  Grin

I could go a little while without all of the above, but to completely remove all those goodies from here on it??......... no amount of money Genie!

I would decline....... take my Beach Boys, and you take all of my whatever pathetic life I have left ..  Smokin

RickB
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2014, 02:38:05 PM »

I'd take four dollars and a box of condoms.
Maybe I'd actually go outside.
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2014, 02:59:47 PM »

This genie lives not in a bottle but a transistor radio. The hardest part of this would be the future releases I would never get to hear. Does this include solo albums? Any way, to answer the question, I would take 10 million, build a studio and make my own music. Smiley

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2014, 03:14:47 PM »

No deal for me, as well. Ain't no amount of gold in any mine could take away this Beach Boys music of mine.  Grin

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2014, 03:24:29 PM »

50 Million

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
Moon Dawg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2014, 03:47:14 PM »

If I took the deal, regret would be a key component of my being for the rest of my life...can't do it.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2014, 04:39:55 PM »

I wish I could say I'd decline...but because I'm a shmuck I KNOW I would take the deal. $50 Million richer, and I would have an unfulfillable void in my soul for the duration of my life.

Given this context, money is a terrible thing.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
KittyKat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2014, 04:50:59 PM »

I'd take a surprisingly small amount of money, maybe in the thousands, but I wouldn't tell the genie that. I'd ask for at least five million, hidden in a Swiss bank account.  I've listened to the Beach Boys so much I've gotten a little tired of them, actually, at least compared to when I first got into them.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2014, 04:51:47 PM »

Everybody has a price.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx