gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680873 Posts in 27617 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 01, 2024, 12:57:20 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Bruce Johnston and the murder!!  (Read 14678 times)
cant wait
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 17, 2015, 08:42:15 AM »

how did we miss

Volume 2:  "The Hardy Wilson Boys and the Mystery of the First Tours"
sockittome
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 17, 2015, 04:40:06 PM »

how did we miss

Featuring a prologue by Shaun Cassidy interpreting the lyrics to Surfin' USA.
Komera
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 17, 2015, 07:40:06 PM »

Short story compilation including:
"How Murry Two Stepped Side Stepped it"
"A New Hat for Mike" (frequently cited as Cr. Seuss's inspiration for the Cat in the Hat)
"TMTM"
and the super popular
"One Vibe, Two Vibes, Bad Vibes, Good Vibes"

~~ The MeAjur Komera Waddi ~~
adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 17, 2015, 08:43:04 PM »

how did we miss

Featuring a prologue by Shaun Cassidy interpreting the lyrics to Surfin' USA.

It's like heaven.
cant wait
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 18, 2015, 08:17:06 AM »

by about this time Al began to dominate the series.

Volume 13:  "Alan and the Mystery of the Missing Molar"
sockittome
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 18, 2015, 07:07:08 PM »

Volume 14:  Who Murdered Smile?

I will refrain from naming names (don't want to put out any spoilers...you've got to read the book!), but there were one or two suspects, or at least accessories to the murder.  Let's just say they were persons of interest. 

But then we have a testimony from the individual closest to Smile, who claims it was suicide.

However, just a few months after the incident, Smile reappears in disguise, using the name.....Smiley Smile.  Was this the actual Smile....or an impostor!  (Dunt dunt dunnnnnnnnnt!)   

You be the judge.

Over time many begin to believe that perhaps Smile had never existed in the first place.  But then, the plot thickens when body parts of Smile begin to appear a few years later suggesting....dismemberment!  And many years later, Smile appears once again incognito bearing the initials BWPS.   Hmmm!  Once again, you be the judge.

In 2011 forensic evidence that had been circulating underground for many years (save a few tidbits that were brought to light on a boxed set in the early '90s) was published, pretty much in its entirety, officially proving that Smile was real although the actual case of the events of 1967 remains unsolved.
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 18, 2015, 09:51:21 PM »

remember when you could read a thread and it was actually pertinent to the title? 

Yeah, me neither

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
cant wait
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 19, 2015, 08:40:18 AM »

yes, a huge flock of birds darting about in free flight in unison following a mysterious path to a better place;

or a bird in a cage.

- prefer the former  (thread title aside)
sockittome
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 19, 2015, 09:26:04 AM »

remember when you could read a thread and it was actually pertinent to the title? 

Yeah, me neither

Is 'Murder' not in the title?
Gerry
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 19, 2015, 12:01:10 PM »

Gee ,I'm really disappointed that this hasn't been turned into "Mike and the Murder" yet.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: July 19, 2015, 01:21:31 PM »

Kim Fowley had some interesting things to add to this topic in an interview reproduced posthumously in UnCut (? it has Joni M. on the cover) but I'm not sure how reliable he was in the information department...

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 19, 2015, 09:53:10 PM »

Yeah, me neither

Gets hard to sort out where to respond
Juice Brohnston
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 20, 2015, 07:29:16 AM »

Percy Ivy should have walked out of there. His hostage would have been the son of the President of Rexall. Should have given him some leverage for cash and a getaway car!
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 20, 2015, 01:51:52 PM »

Bruce was 15, and from a sheltered background, but apparently took it all in stride -- even proposing a record deal with the killer while they chatted and waited for the police.

Bruce was there at the founding of the white LA rock n roll scene with Phil Spector, Kim Fowley, Sandy Nelson, Jan Berry. He'd have fascinating stories to tell if he'd ever join Mike and Brian in writing a memoir.

This is from a 1972 interview with Kim Fowley by Richard Williams for Melody Maker, as reproduced in Uncut of April 2015.    

"One day we [The Sleepwalkers] got courageous and decided to make our first record, so we went down to Dolphin's of Hollywood----John Dolphin was the man who wrote "Buzz Buzz Buzz" for The Hollywood Flames [a Murry connection!].
"We were sitting there trembling in our schoolboy boots, when one of their songwriters [Percy Ivy] came in and killed Dolphin right in front of us. ...
"Everybody was scrambling around, there was blood all over the floor, and the guy was dying. Bruce, being a songwriter, went up to him and said, 'Well, I think it's a good idea if you tell me how you feel. I mean, it's your last minute, isn't it.' For a song, you understand. He wasn't being horrible... he was genuinely interested in what a dying man had to say.
"The guy was rapping and Bruce was listening and saying 'Far out...' and then he died. I think we all realised then that rock'n'roll did have its outlaw characteristics."  

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
Cyncie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 20, 2015, 02:08:57 PM »

Bruce was 15, and from a sheltered background, but apparently took it all in stride -- even proposing a record deal with the killer while they chatted and waited for the police.

Bruce was there at the founding of the white LA rock n roll scene with Phil Spector, Kim Fowley, Sandy Nelson, Jan Berry. He'd have fascinating stories to tell if he'd ever join Mike and Brian in writing a memoir.

This is from a 1972 interview with Kim Fowley by Richard Williams for Melody Maker, as reproduced in Uncut of April 2015.    

"One day we [The Sleepwalkers] got courageous and decided to make our first record, so we went down to Dolphin's of Hollywood----John Dolphin was the man who wrote "Buzz Buzz Buzz" for The Hollywood Flames [a Murry connection!].
"We were sitting there trembling in our schoolboy boots, when one of their songwriters [Percy Ivy] came in and killed Dolphin right in front of us. ...
"Everybody was scrambling around, there was blood all over the floor, and the guy was dying. Bruce, being a songwriter, went up to him and said, 'Well, I think it's a good idea if you tell me how you feel. I mean, it's your last minute, isn't it.' For a song, you understand. He wasn't being horrible... he was genuinely interested in what a dying man had to say.
"The guy was rapping and Bruce was listening and saying 'Far out...' and then he died. I think we all realised then that rock'n'roll did have its outlaw characteristics."  

Seriously? A man is dying in front of him and his only impulse is to try and get some material out of it? I never had anything against Bruce, but man, I just find that repulsive.
ChicagoAnn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 20, 2015, 03:04:10 PM »

Seriously? A man is dying in front of him and his only impulse is to try and get some material out of it? I never had anything against Bruce, but man, I just find that repulsive.

Kim Fowley lied all the time. To paraphrase Mary McCarthy, everything he says is a lie, including "and" and "the."
Marty Castillo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 20, 2015, 04:23:19 PM »

All you need to know about Kim Fowley:

http://highline.huffingtonpost.com/articles/en/the-lost-girls/
ChicagoAnn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 20, 2015, 07:05:18 PM »

Exactly. He also ripped off a number of musicians.
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 21, 2015, 07:48:52 AM »

I seem to have a rival in the arrogance and condescension department.  Cheesy

No way Andrew, you're still the tops around these parts!!
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx