gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680742 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 18, 2024, 04:54:12 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Dead heads reaction to the Beach Boys  (Read 2677 times)
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« on: April 19, 2014, 09:01:20 AM »

I am just curious to know when the Beach Boys went on tour with the Grateful Dead, how did their fans react? Are there any Dead heads on here that became Beach Boys fans at a concert? Or perhaps later? I would like to know you initial reaction or if you have friends that were Dead Heads and what their reaction was.

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2014, 10:59:38 AM »

they didn't go on tour together, i believe it was just that one appearance at the Fillmore wasn't it?

it's silly to think that a lot of deadheads weren't already Beach Boy fans, but i'm sure they gained a few more after that show.

i'm a deadhead and i always loved the Boys.
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2014, 11:44:35 AM »

Really? I thought it was tour. I also thought that Dead Heads would mostly be too hippy to consider the Beach Boys. I am talking perception here.

This question could actually be about any hippy types that saw them at a festival in the early 70s. I could imagine it changed people's perception of the Beach Boys.

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2014, 02:04:53 PM »

It was a single appearance, April 27, 1971, at the Fillmore East. 

Roughly 20 years ago I was at the home of Sandy Troy, huge Deadhead and soon to be author of a Jerry Garcia biography, "Captain Trips".  Sandy was showing me his massive reel to reel library of Grateful Dead concerts, and asked what I wanted to hear, so I suggested the BBs and the GD at the Fillmore East.  Knowing that I was a big fan of the Beach Boys his reaction was polite, but it was obvious he wasn't much of a fan of the BBs, and he didn't seem to be very impressed by the fact that the BBs had shared the stage with the Dead on that occasion.

(As a side note, in the summer of 1999 his daughters Lindsey and Anna, ages 13 and 15, recorded four never-released demo tracks, written and produced by Cindy Lee Berryhill, all with strong Brian Wilson / Beach Boys harmony influences.  A few years later, as The Troys, the girls recorded an album for Elektra, but in a different style with no BW/BB influences.  The album was not released, but a couple of singles were, shown on MTV and still available on iTunes.)

Aum Bop Diddit
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2014, 06:43:18 PM »

It was a single appearance, April 27, 1971, at the Fillmore East. 

Roughly 20 years ago I was at the home of Sandy Troy, huge Deadhead and soon to be author of a Jerry Garcia biography, "Captain Trips".  Sandy was showing me his massive reel to reel library of Grateful Dead concerts, and asked what I wanted to hear, so I suggested the BBs and the GD at the Fillmore East.  Knowing that I was a big fan of the Beach Boys his reaction was polite, but it was obvious he wasn't much of a fan of the BBs, and he didn't seem to be very impressed by the fact that the BBs had shared the stage with the Dead on that occasion.

(As a side note, in the summer of 1999 his daughters Lindsey and Anna, ages 13 and 15, recorded four never-released demo tracks, written and produced by Cindy Lee Berryhill, all with strong Brian Wilson / Beach Boys harmony influences.  A few years later, as The Troys, the girls recorded an album for Elektra, but in a different style with no BW/BB influences.  The album was not released, but a couple of singles were, shown on MTV and still available on iTunes.)

Side note on side note -- Cindy Lee Berryhill was the partner of the late great Paul Williams of Crawdaddy fame, keeper of the Brian Wilson/Beach Boys flame in their darkest days and a major architect of the Smile myth via his interviews with David Anderle first published in Crawdaddy and later reprinted in Outlaw Blues and How Deep is the Ocean?

I don't know how the Dead fans reacted exactly at the Fillmore gig, but there was a lot of buzz at the time  and played a big part in their early 70s "resurgence," particularly in making them somewhat hip -- for better or worse.  But the band pretty much killed wherever they played in that era.

Hey!  Those are *MY* wind chimes!
roll plymouth rock
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2014, 02:52:07 AM »

On the recording you can hear Deadheads yelling "bring back The Dead"  LOL lol so i don't think it was exactly whole heartedly embraced, but I'm sure some ppl dug it. I would say they are hampered by a long set up time & tuning in between songs. Mike Love comes off as a bit cheesy (at least in the head context), and I'd say it works better when they are playing together rather than just having the BB up there playing a few tunes. Its cool though, and I'll always dig how they introduce them as "another California group" & by the cheers you can tell the crowd totally was expecting the Airplane or something like that not the Beach Boys haha. Here's the archive stream of the show in full: https://archive.org/details/gd1971-04-27.sbd.miller.114461.flac16

Smilin Ed H
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2014, 04:23:37 AM »

If the worst came to the worst, the deadheads could've put their fingers in their ears and pretended the dead were tuning up - though that would've taken longer than the whole BB segment...
Watch a Cave
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2014, 06:14:00 AM »

My cousin (huge Dead fan) tape recorded the concert for me on a cassette like over 20 years ago.  My favorite part is when Mike says..  "Now how bout a car song?".  The crowd goes nuts.. and then "..round round get around.. ".  The crowd seemed to love it.

Other best moment is when somebody yells..  "LETS GO TRIPPIN'!".
« Last Edit: April 20, 2014, 06:17:10 AM by Watch a Cave » Logged
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2014, 11:58:40 PM »

On the recording you can hear Deadheads yelling "bring back The Dead"  LOL lol so i don't think it was exactly whole heartedly embraced, but I'm sure some ppl dug it. I would say they are hampered by a long set up time & tuning in between songs. Mike Love comes off as a bit cheesy (at least in the head context), and I'd say it works better when they are playing together rather than just having the BB up there playing a few tunes. Its cool though, and I'll always dig how they introduce them as "another California group" & by the cheers you can tell the crowd totally was expecting the Airplane or something like that not the Beach Boys haha. Here's the archive stream of the show in full: https://archive.org/details/gd1971-04-27.sbd.miller.114461.flac16

Thanks for that. Interesting to read from Dead heads perspective.

Gabo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2014, 12:05:06 AM »

practically no one understands the Beach Boys... very sad
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2014, 09:21:19 AM »

Yes, not even the Beach Boys Smiley. But seriously, I can only imagine when they performed songs like All This is That, Feel Flows or Leaving This Town live to an unknowing audience in the early 70s the kind of reaction they got. Probably something akin to the Tommy Boy scene where Farley and Spade are like "this song sucks!" Then a minute later they are both singing along in tears.

runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2014, 11:30:51 AM »

The Beach Boys didn't even play 59 minute jam sessions between extended live versions of their songs. Complete rubbish.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Aum Bop Diddit
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2014, 05:17:49 PM »

Yes, not even the Beach Boys Smiley. But seriously, I can only imagine when they performed songs like All This is That, Feel Flows or Leaving This Town live to an unknowing audience in the early 70s the kind of reaction they got. Probably something akin to the Tommy Boy scene where Farley and Spade are like "this song sucks!" Then a minute later they are both singing along in tears.

I don't recall "Feel Flows" being played, but the other two along with other current songs of the day received good to respectful reactions.  Of course the roof came off for the hits which paved the road for you know what.  Man those were great times to see them.

Hey!  Those are *MY* wind chimes!
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx