gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 11:32:42 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Girls On The Beach Film Question  (Read 9324 times)
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« on: April 19, 2014, 07:28:44 AM »

It's been awhile since I've seen it, and I think I have a tape somewhere but it would take me hours or days to find it...so can anyone tell me if the BBs actually appear in any part of the title sequence in the "Girls On The Beach" film? And if so, do they appear to be miming the actual workds to the song?
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2014, 07:31:16 AM »

I'm curious about this too!

Mike posted this on his facebook: "The Beach Boys shot their sequence for the movie - "Girls on the Beach" at Paramount Studios in Hollywood. They performed the title song "Girls on the Beach", "Lonely Sea" and "Little Honda". This was one of the few feature film appearances The Beach Boys made in their career."

Couldn't find any of the footage when I looked.

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2014, 08:36:58 AM »

It's been years, and my copy is also buried in stacks of VHS... Smiley

But *I think* the only full band performance they're shown miming is on "Little Honda", the one where Dennis is flirting with a very attractive beach bunny/dancer twisting away next to him. "Lonely Sea" was like a Brian solo spot where he's singing on the beach at night with a group of kids around a campfire, I don't think any other band members are shown playing in that sequence. And from memory, I don't think the band is shown playing the song in the opening sequence, which is the song cut to people frolicking on the beach.

I could also be remembering another compilation where the title sequence was re-cut to the song, like "American Band"...sorry I just can't remember! Someone who has the film handy can confirm, I'm sure.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2014, 08:42:21 AM »

It's been years, and my copy is also buried in stacks of VHS... Smiley

But *I think* the only full band performance they're shown miming is on "Little Honda", the one where Dennis is flirting with a very attractive beach bunny/dancer twisting away next to him. "Lonely Sea" was like a Brian solo spot where he's singing on the beach at night with a group of kids around a campfire, I don't think any other band members are shown playing in that sequence. And from memory, I don't think the band is shown playing the song in the opening sequence, which is the song cut to people frolicking on the beach.

I could also be remembering another compilation where the title sequence was re-cut to the song, like "American Band"...sorry I just can't remember! Someone who has the film handy can confirm, I'm sure.

Yeah, sure, if anyone still has a VHS player hooked up...

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2014, 08:59:51 AM »

The only reference I can find is in the Badman book, for April 16-17: "Around this time the group shoots their sequences for the Girls On The Beach movie at Paramount studios in Hollywood...". Since he wrote "Around this time", and since neither Ian nor anyone else I checked with knows where he got those dates, I'd call them spurrious at best. Ian checked with the movie's producers years ago but got no response. The backing track to the song was cut April 10 (according to Capitol's files), but the vocals weren't added until May 19 (per the date on the tape box). Further confusing the situation is the fact that they changed the vocal arrangement prior to the final take (as heard from the session tapes on the SOT boot) - but that might have happened at the same session, rather than two different ones. I'm trying to determine if the title sequence shows them miming the song, which MIGHT mean they at least had SOME of the lyrics in mind prior to actually recording them (if the April 16-17 shooting dates are, in fact, correct).
halblaineisgood
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2014, 09:30:05 AM »

« Last Edit: December 30, 2014, 07:19:58 PM by halblaineisgood » Logged
Dave Modny
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2014, 11:08:36 AM »

It's been awhile since I've seen it, and I think I have a tape somewhere but it would take me hours or days to find it...so can anyone tell me if the BBs actually appear in any part of the title sequence in the "Girls On The Beach" film? And if so, do they appear to be miming the actual workds to the song?

I have this. The opening credits do eventually dissolve into the band lip-syncing the studio version at the beach club. Right at the lyrical point of "...on a summer day. As the sun dips out of sight...." The track goes on, but eventually fades early into the club members' applause (before the studio version's actual coda). Dennis then does his spoken "Crickets" introduction at the end.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2014, 11:13:26 AM »

Sweet, issue solved! Saved us from digging through VHS and connecting a VCR... Grin

Just a thought, the April 16-17 shooting dates sound a little suspicious unless they mimed to a take that had an early scratch vocal...It's hard to mime to and then sync to audio that isn't there, obviously.  Cheesy

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2014, 04:28:57 PM »

Thanks, everyone! I just found my old VHS copy, taped from AMC circa 2000. I'd forgotten Gary Usher did the music and Nik Venet the music supervision!
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2014, 08:05:13 PM »

But *I think* the only full band performance they're shown miming is on "Little Honda", the one where Dennis is flirting with a very attractive beach bunny/dancer twisting away next to him. "Lonely Sea" was like a Brian solo spot where he's singing on the beach at night with a group of kids around a campfire, I don't think any other band members are shown playing in that sequence.

I found the "Lonely Sea" segment on YouTube.  Strangely all the boys are present but they don't appear to be doing anything, not even lipsynching, they're just sitting there around Brian.  Must have been an easy day on set for them.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1slMY5ilRm4

I found the full opening sequence in black and white as well.  The Beach Boys are indeed seen miming to the title track but not the entire thing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLXGqyVRrIE

And here's "Little Honda."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4nDvA1pqP0U
« Last Edit: April 19, 2014, 08:07:18 PM by Rocky Raccoon » Logged

retrokid67
Smiley Smile Associate

Denny the Dream

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2014, 09:55:44 PM »

they had the whole movie on youtube and then they snatched it about a month ago .  the opening has the song with girls running and people on the beach and then it shows Dennis already on the stage drumming and the rest of the members walking on the stage singing.  then the other guys walk off and Denny tells everyone that their house band, the Crickets, are gonna be singing next and it shows Mike dancing in the crowd to "La Bamba"  then there's lonely sea later and right after that it's Little Honda.  Too bad they snatched it, the movie was starting to grow on me  Sad

"In this new day, change your heart.  Forgive your brother, for life is precious."

-Dennis Wilson
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2014, 06:58:04 AM »

Seems like that movie was never distributed over here in Germany. But I think that in that Lonely Sea clip Brian looks more like his 21st century performing self than in any other 60s footage.

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2014, 08:08:11 AM »

That "Lonely Sea" clip is very emotional on a lot of levels.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2014, 03:12:41 AM »

You can watch it here, apparently, but you have to sign up first:

http://timafilm.com/de/movie/102845/The+Girls+on+the+Beach-1965

Edit: Doesn't seem to work, but no matter, thanks to retrokid67 (see below). :=)
« Last Edit: January 08, 2015, 01:55:21 AM by john k » Logged

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
retrokid67
Smiley Smile Associate

Denny the Dream

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2015, 03:55:47 PM »

Here's the movie: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Utmxpby83Ck
« Last Edit: January 08, 2015, 12:43:58 PM by retrokid67 » Logged

"In this new day, change your heart.  Forgive your brother, for life is precious."

-Dennis Wilson
Mooger Fooger
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2015, 05:23:27 AM »

I watched my copy of the film just 10 days ago, so I can confirm the following:

1. The title sequence starts with girls running on the beach. This then seques into the boys on stage in the Beach Club miming to the recorded song. The finish the song to applaus, Dennis intoduces the next act, the Crickets, and says, "...in fact we're going to join you" as the band exits the stage. (As Dave Modny pointed out above)

At a later stage:

2. The BBs perform lonely sea, again miming to the recorded song.

Then a bit later:

3. The BBs perform "Little Honda" (again miming to the recorded track with overdubbed claps from the audience).

These are the only times the band is seen in the film. Additional performances are done by the Crickets, Lesley Gore, and the quasi-Beatles group by the girls who play the main roles in the film.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2015, 05:24:32 AM by Mooger Fooger » Logged
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2015, 01:22:45 PM »

2. The BBs perform lonely sea, again miming to the recorded song.

One of the flat-out worst day-for-night scenes I've ever seen, and that includes silents.  Smiley

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
dogear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2015, 12:21:21 AM »

Here's the record http://www.45cat.com/record/nc268037us

Watson, did you hear this?
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2015, 02:58:59 AM »

Interesting: Dennis uses a brush instead of a stick and hits the cymbal with his right hand. Usually he used the left hand for the cymbal/hi-hat and the right hand for the snare.

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2015, 04:09:45 AM »

I'm guessing the set dressers placed the drum kit.  Smiley

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2015, 08:39:54 AM »

Interesting: Dennis uses a brush instead of a stick and hits the cymbal with his right hand. Usually he used the left hand for the cymbal/hi-hat and the right hand for the snare.
Actually Dennis played conventional, left on snare, during most ballads...see Surfer Girl TAMI show https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oL25lgUvPgs
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2015, 08:49:50 AM »

Wow. I've neither seen nor heard of this one before. I assume it's real, but is it really one of a kind? Can't believe more weren't pressed.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2015, 09:13:54 AM »

Wow. I've neither seen nor heard of this one before. I assume it's real, but is it really one of a kind? Can't believe more weren't pressed.

Definitely not ONE of a kind. Talking the other day with another eminent collector we're certain of two, but that may really be three...

That it could have been given out at the Movie premiere, seems possible, meaning there may be a hundred copies floating around LA houses and landfills?  
« Last Edit: January 13, 2015, 09:40:19 AM by bgas » Logged

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
retrokid67
Smiley Smile Associate

Denny the Dream

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2015, 09:45:49 AM »

Was this movie supposed to be a parody mocking the Beatles and their fans or was this just a horrible script thrown together to jump on the bandwagon of the American International Pictures Beach Movies?  Because why would you need the Beatles with the Beach Boys there?  Huh

-Dennis Wilson
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

The dream of Amsterdamee...

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2015, 10:54:20 AM »

More info: http://www.beachboys45.nl/USA-Regular-Capitol%20Promo%20EP.htm

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx