gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 01:51:33 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Sorting Out the Missing Denny's  (Read 3180 times)
onkster
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: April 18, 2014, 02:15:40 PM »

OK, please forgive me if this has already been done, and I just can't find it (and if so, please link me)--I'm trying to sort out what's worth getting of Dennis' material that isn't on MIC, the POB reissue, Hawthorne CA, and any other major releases.

I keep hearing about the Quad Symphony edit, which sounds really intriguing, but damned if I can find it.

There are also all these early/alternate Bambu's--is there anything worth hearing on these, or did the POB reissue render them useless?

Is there somewhere a "Sound of Free" that doesn't have all that high-end distortion? (I still hear it on MIC...)

What else is there that's uncollected?

Thanks for your help!

-onkster
bringahorseinhere?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2014, 02:38:50 PM »

the best release by far is the 'Pacific Ocean Blue/Bamboo sessions' double CD released some years back....

stunning quality and packaging..

highly recommend!

oooops! I see you mentioned 'POB'......... sorry!

RickB

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2014, 02:48:25 PM »

Found these----my apologies if they are old news:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1SpzSFwzCU4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DrGk8xAHHDw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_Ka4BpLzgk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=up163cMB9rs

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2014, 05:57:42 PM »

This site may have some of what you're looking for: http://tinyurl.com/cu47kr

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2014, 06:10:39 PM »

This site may have some of what you're looking for: http://tinyurl.com/cu47kr

My fav is the early demo of Grand Slam

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2014, 03:21:41 AM »

All Of My Love is short but stunning. It's on YouTube.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2014, 05:07:12 AM »

All Of My Love is short but stunning. It's on YouTube.
Agreed!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1SpzSFwzCU4

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2014, 07:27:01 AM »

Actually I've been meaning to post this....are either of the masters for "Sound of Free" or "Lady" in the vault? Because, although I'm very very happy that it appeared on Made In California, "Sound of Free" sure didn't have as great of sound quality as the other stuff on the set. And then, the original version of "Lady" has only appeared on a few releases, none Dennis or Beach Boys related. Just "influences" type releases by Super Furry Animals and Phoenix. And this version is (I think) sourced from vinyl. Admittedly, it sounds *good enough* for me, but still, I wonder. Honestly, it makes no sense why, if they had the original single version at their disposal, they would use that Summer Love Songs remix on Made In California.
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2014, 07:28:01 AM »

Loved Good Timin'! Thanks.

Good natured "brotherly-type" ribbing at the end...Thanks! Wink

Watch a Cave
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2014, 07:47:00 AM »

Wow All of My Love is amazing! When was this recorded and how is it not available anywhere?
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2014, 02:41:31 PM »

OK, please forgive me if this has already been done, and I just can't find it (and if so, please link me)--I'm trying to sort out what's worth getting of Dennis' material that isn't on MIC, the POB reissue, Hawthorne CA, and any other major releases.

I keep hearing about the Quad Symphony edit, which sounds really intriguing, but damned if I can find it.

There are also all these early/alternate Bambu's--is there anything worth hearing on these, or did the POB reissue render them useless?

Is there somewhere a "Sound of Free" that doesn't have all that high-end distortion? (I still hear it on MIC...)

What else is there that's uncollected?

Thanks for your help!

-onkster
Concerning the "Bamboo" early boots, I think it's only interesting to the obsessive fan....since they're boots, the sound quality is not as good, and some of the songs, such as All Alone or Wild Situation may be early versions/mixes. I'm fairly confident All Alone has an early version unreleased but is easy to find...the Wild Situation version, I'm not as sure about if it's different but I do know there's a bootleg that has the track only (with backing vocals) of Wild Situation.
Also, the first boot I had of Pacific Ocean Blue had 5 interesting bonus tracks:
- Early version of River Song (not sure on the date)
- backing track to Pacific Ocean Blues (not so good quality)
- backing track to Time
- and I think the backing tracks to End of Show and Fairwell My Friend. Or it could be the track to Rainbows, I can't remember, haven't listened to it in a long time. I got it way back 2006 from a generous friend.

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
onkster
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2014, 03:49:03 PM »

"All of My Love" is indeed amazing. In fact--this is what I was expecting "Quadrophonic Instrumentals" to be--I wouldn't be surprised if this was the 350+ vocal overdubs thing I was hearing about. The QI I just found starts off with a bunch of drums, then goes into other stuff--in fact, I don't recall hearing any vocals at all. So is perhaps "Quad Symphony" something I still have yet to hear? (And find?)

"Organ duet" sounds like preprogrammed stuff to me--not very Dennis-like. "Piano Duet" sounds more like a real demo/outtake to me.

Thanks for all the notes so far (the helpful ones, anyway)--let me know if anyone has more insights or inroads.

onkster
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2014, 03:32:28 AM »

"All of My Love" is indeed amazing. In fact--this is what I was expecting "Quadrophonic Instrumentals" to be--I wouldn't be surprised if this was the 350+ vocal overdubs thing I was hearing about. The QI I just found starts off with a bunch of drums, then goes into other stuff--in fact, I don't recall hearing any vocals at all. So is perhaps "Quad Symphony" something I still have yet to hear? (And find?)

"Organ duet" sounds like preprogrammed stuff to me--not very Dennis-like. "Piano Duet" sounds more like a real demo/outtake to me.

Thanks for all the notes so far (the helpful ones, anyway)--let me know if anyone has more insights or inroads.

onkster

"Organ Duet" is Dennis on a pipe organ (possibly dueting with Daryl Dragon, or possibly dueting with himself via an overdub).
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2014, 05:51:24 AM »

Organ duet is very beautiful imo. More as a curiosity than a template for a real song, but it does show what Dennis was capable of. I think his style would suit the organ very well. His piano ditties are a little tiring for me.

Also, there is a version of Baby Blue where there is a stronger harp during the bridge and stronger backing vocals. I really enjoy that version. Was hoping for better quality release (like they did to It's Over Now)
« Last Edit: April 21, 2014, 05:53:14 AM by Cabinessenceking » Logged
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2014, 03:05:40 PM »

"All Of My Love" is the intro to a DW suite that goes by the handle of "Ecology". Recorded fall 1970. There is a DW boot out there claiming to be "Ecology", but it isn't (I've heard the original). Rather it's a fan edit of sundry easily available DW fragments.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2014, 05:44:47 PM »

"All Of My Love" is the intro to a DW suite that goes by the handle of "Ecology". Recorded fall 1970. There is a DW boot out there claiming to be "Ecology", but it isn't (I've heard the original). Rather it's a fan edit of sundry easily available DW fragments.
What are the titles of these edits?

~post of the century~
-Mikie

gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx