gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 10:17:02 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Friends A Capella Video Clip Mystery Revisited  (Read 9309 times)
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« on: April 16, 2014, 08:59:44 AM »

This video clip came up in the "1964" thread, and I wanted to revisit the topic and maybe get some new info or opinions going to help ID it. This is from the other thread:

hey does anyone remember the acapella clip of them singing friends? they were all dressed in white (mike had a hat on I think) and they were sitting around a table.  Does anyone know where that's from?  on the Mike Douglas show before Dennis sings Never Learn Not To Love he mentions an acapella number.  Could it be from that show or somewhere else?

AFAIK, the show on which they sang a portion of "Friends" acapella remains unidentified. I doubt that it was the Douglas show as they wore casual clothes for that performance as opposed to the white suits for "Friends." Perhaps the acapella number referred to was "...Hearts..." as they sang it quite often during 1968.

Some background (or worthless ramblings...) to catch everyone up who may not have been on the board when these things were discussed:

I actually thought at one point someone had ID'ed the origin of the Friends video, but I may have been mistaken. The first time I saw it was on American cable TV, when the AMC network was doing a summer promotion and featuring all kinds of beach movies from the 60's. They called it "Am-Pop", and in between the films they'd run various short films and music clips. Featured heavily was the Beach Boys.

Eventually they compiled all of the Beach Boys videos and ran them as a collection, and this was compiled for AMC by Alan Boyd. At the time the real "finds" (at least for me) included the GV firehouse promo in terrific quality, the Friends a capella clip, the full version of Ed Roach's Dennis Wilson album promo, and a short clip of the early 70's BBs standing around Bruce Johnston at a Hammond organ in the studio. That was ID'ed as a promo for an airline or something...maybe that's what I'm mistaking for the Friends clip ID.

I guess the first question I'd ask is if Alan Boyd has ever ID'ed the a capella clip as coming from a specific show or appearance. It's a panel-type talk show, obviously, and it's not an American clip which rules out a few possibilities. For all reasons you'll see in the clip and the timeline, it most likely is 1968, right?

I have that on VHS and DVD, but can't post it here, nor can I find it on YouTube, but if anyone can just for reference that would be helpful.

Was it from the late 1968 European tour? Just like we in the US can ID talk shows like Carson, Cavett, Bishop, Douglas, etc from the set designs and obviously the host running the show, can anyone ID the host of that clip? Maybe someone who has joined the board recently can see the film and ID the show in the same way, again that is if Alan has never ID'ed it after finding it for the AMC project.

Again, I thought it had been ID'ed but when I went back to some old notes from 2003 they didn't have what I had thought. And it's a fascinating clip, but frustrating because it seems years later it still hasn't been traced to a specific origin. Or if it has, we're just not remembering it.

Opinions, thoughts? Can someone page Alan and see if he can add any info?  Smiley

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2014, 10:35:51 AM »

The clip exists, or circulates in two versions, or has since about 1998. One is short and features the a cappella Friends snippet and small amount of group chatter. A longer version exists that includes the Friends bit and several of the band members talking about meditation and it's benefits. The clip was always described to me by Alan Boyd and others as "The Maharishi Tour Press Conference". I assumed the band gave a TV appearance or filmed a video press conference to promote that tour which would date it in the March/April 1968 range. It's possible that they made these type of appearances on local TV shows and this is one that survived. You'll notice in the Beach Boys In Concert book a photo on page 101 that shows the group in similar attire doing some TV promotion, the photo is from March '68.
metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2014, 01:16:14 AM »

It's a panel-type talk show, obviously, and it's not an American clip which rules out a few possibilities.

To these ears, the host's voice-over does seem to have a North American accent.

Comparing the photo in The Beach Boys In Concert book to the brief footage in EH reveals that they're practically the same, including the guys L to R order, which could suggest a March 1968 television appearance.

"Quit screaming and start singing from your hearts, huh?" Murry Wilson, March 1965.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2014, 07:07:49 AM »

Thanks Jon for the info! That may have been what I remembered, when you mentioned the Maharishi tour it sounded familiar, like that was part of the ID from before, but the location/station/program info I guess is still the mystery.

I'll need to watch the clip again, it sounds like I may be mistaken about the "European" part - but even in my old notes when I cataloged my video clips I had written that it was possibly a European TV show for some reason.

If it is March 1968, they'd be singing their next single Friends that wasn't released yet so this would have been an advance listen for their new single, right? That adds another element to the uniqueness of this show, having the band perform a song which was literally hot off the press and not even released!

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2014, 06:09:18 AM »

a short clip of the early 70's BBs standing around Bruce Johnston at a Hammond organ in the studio. That was ID'ed as a promo for an airline or something...maybe that's what I'm mistaking for the Friends clip ID.

Eastern Airlines version of "This Whole World", recorded 3/12/71. More than this I cannot tell you.  Grin

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Ed Roach
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2014, 08:26:15 AM »

a short clip of the early 70's BBs standing around Bruce Johnston at a Hammond organ in the studio. That was ID'ed as a promo for an airline or something...maybe that's what I'm mistaking for the Friends clip ID.

Eastern Airlines version of "This Whole World", recorded 3/12/71. More than this I cannot tell you.  Grin

That Eastern Airlines commercial is something I'm really proud of having stumbled upon.  Back in the mid-70's there was a film festival held in L.A. called FILMEX.  I had been doing some work in commercials, (including the campaign for the In Concert album), so attended a program on the most artistic commercials, and right about in the middle of the show I recognized Beach Boy music.  The whole spot has some really iconic LA institutions, and about midway through there was Bruce, with The Boys singing in the background!
I managed to track down the agency that produced it for Eastern, and was able to get them to supply me with a 16mm copy of it.  Alan was still putting the finishing touched on Endless Harmony at my editing studio when the AMC offer came in, and we were able to use a lot of material that couldn't make it into E.H. 
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2014, 09:14:18 AM »

Fascinating info! Getting more and more of the backstory is priceless, thank you! Maybe at some point we'll be able to have access to the full-length ad, we can hope. Of all the airline ads that have surfaced from the 60's and 70's I've never seen the "This Whole World" ad in its context.

I'm curious too...was there an earlier connection between the Beach Boys and Eastern Airlines? That Jack Benny program where the BB's were featured in '65 was sponsored by Eastern, and if you watch the whole show Benny is doing Eastern ads and spots as part of the show itself, a throwback to a company fully sponsoring a broadcast and weaving their brand into the show's content. "Brought to you by..." indeed. Curious that 6 years later the BB's are in an Eastern ad.

Speaking of airline commercials, and maybe this has already been posted over the past 8 years, this is one from British Caledonian airlines that cops the BB's "California Girls" and makes it into "Caledonian Girls". A real oddity - It will either make you laugh  LOL or cringe  Shocked  if you haven't heard it. The 80's synths don't help the cause very much musically.
"I wish they all could be Caledonian Girls" :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gS2Pfnr_3dA#t=16

Steve Latshaw
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2014, 09:25:38 AM »

Where could we see that 1970s Beach Boys Eastern Airlines spot?
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2014, 10:27:41 AM »

Fascinating info! Getting more and more of the backstory is priceless, thank you! Maybe at some point we'll be able to have access to the full-length ad, we can hope. Of all the airline ads that have surfaced from the 60's and 70's I've never seen the "This Whole World" ad in its context.

I'm curious too...was there an earlier connection between the Beach Boys and Eastern Airlines? That Jack Benny program where the BB's were featured in '65 was sponsored by Eastern, and if you watch the whole show Benny is doing Eastern ads and spots as part of the show itself, a throwback to a company fully sponsoring a broadcast and weaving their brand into the show's content. "Brought to you by..." indeed. Curious that 6 years later the BB's are in an Eastern ad.

Speaking of airline commercials, and maybe this has already been posted over the past 8 years, this is one from British Caledonian airlines that cops the BB's "California Girls" and makes it into "Caledonian Girls". A real oddity - It will either make you laugh  LOL or cringe  Shocked  if you haven't heard it. The 80's synths don't help the cause very much musically.

This isn't an airline ad, but as above, you'll either love or hate it. Me - I love it.  Grin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gct55x4sec
« Last Edit: April 18, 2014, 10:29:03 AM by The Legendary AGD » Logged

Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2014, 06:21:08 PM »

I have to say that the photo we used in the book may be from May 68.  I tried to precisely date every photo-but that one was based on some secondary info that may not be trustworthy-it could be May.  As I mention in the book (and in a two-part article I wrote on TV apps in ESQ) The BBs taped an appearance on the Les Crane Show while they were in California, before the Maharishi tour (so probably very late April after the Buffalo Springfield tour) in which they discussed meditation.  They probably sang "Friends" there-so it could be from that show (though not much footage survives from Crane's show) The show aired on May 2 1968 when the BBs were in NY making a live appearance on the Tonight Show with Johnny Carson (Tonight show was taped in NY until 1972 when Johnny moved it to Burbank, CA). One irate lady complained to her local paper the next day that she flipped the channel away from the BBs, only to encounter them on another channel!! The Tonight Show footage, according to Carson Productions, was destroyed (though someone somewhere may have a kinescope recorded off the TV). It does survive on audio taped off the TV and the BBs sang "Friends" and "Their Hearts Were Full of Spring."  At this time, the BBs taped the Mike Douglas Show in Philadelphia and performed "Friends" and "Little Bird." The BBs other appearances on the Douglas Show survive but this one is apparently gone. Again an audio tape survives.  Finally-the BBs appeared on Merv Griffin (it aired on May 17) and again probably sang Friends.  This footage has never surfaced.  Maybe the clip comes from this show!
retrokid67
Smiley Smile Associate

Denny the Dream

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2014, 06:39:22 PM »

man it sucks that all this stuff has been destroyed. I don't see why it had to be destroyed in the first place  Huh

"In this new day, change your heart.  Forgive your brother, for life is precious."

-Dennis Wilson
metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2014, 07:11:29 PM »

man it sucks that all this stuff has been destroyed. I don't see why it had to be destroyed in the first place  Huh

Financial and storage considerations may have played a part. Some of the tapes may have deteriorated to a point where they became unsalvageable.

Yet, there's always hope, such as the discovery of the Good Vibrations studio footage Smiley

"Quit screaming and start singing from your hearts, huh?" Murry Wilson, March 1965.
SMiLE-addict
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2014, 07:50:14 PM »

This isn't an airline ad, but as above, you'll either love or hate it. Me - I love it.  Grin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gct55x4sec
I regretted clicking on those two. Sad
« Last Edit: April 18, 2014, 07:51:29 PM by SMiLE-addict » Logged
retrokid67
Smiley Smile Associate

Denny the Dream

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2014, 07:52:56 PM »

Financial and storage considerations may have played a part. Some of the tapes may have deteriorated to a point where they became unsalvageable.

Yet, there's always hope, such as the discovery of the Good Vibrations studio footage Smiley

o yea it was great seeing that on C50 for the first time  Grin

"In this new day, change your heart.  Forgive your brother, for life is precious."

-Dennis Wilson
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2014, 08:35:44 PM »

People were very shortsighted about the value of pop culture in the 50s and 60s. Disposable junk they thought. Very sad for us.  One example: When RCA bought Elvis's contract from Sun-they got all the masters plus outtakes and unreleased stuff.  Apparently in the late 50s the label decided to do a "Vault cleaning" and simply tossed most (though not all) the outtakes in the waste bin!!!! Ridiculous
bringahorseinhere?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2014, 08:48:35 PM »

ooooooh!   that's bad news........

how often do you hear about this delicate info discarded over the years....

at most now, most people save and back up things, but you cant get back what is already gone.....

lucky we have what we do have, and in the BB case, the SOT's documentation.....

clearly legal or not, we do have those tapes of the boys........

RickB
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2014, 09:23:48 PM »

People were very shortsighted about the value of pop culture in the 50s and 60s. Disposable junk they thought. Very sad for us.  One example: When RCA bought Elvis's contract from Sun-they got all the masters plus outtakes and unreleased stuff.  Apparently in the late 50s the label decided to do a "Vault cleaning" and simply tossed most (though not all) the outtakes in the waste bin!!!! Ridiculous

Just as Capitol Records periodically tossed all their old stuff in the trash. Just ask the Hodad guys...
OR was that Brother Studios? ( I dismember)
« Last Edit: April 18, 2014, 09:34:47 PM by bgas » Logged

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2014, 10:09:30 PM »

Columbia had a 'spring cleaning' in 1967, and that's likely where the "GV" vocal multitracks went - into the dumpster.

GoodVibrations33
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2014, 07:12:38 AM »

Where could we see that 1970s Beach Boys Eastern Airlines spot?

Maybe someone can get in touch with this guy.  Unfortunately, the link he posted no longer works. http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,11172.msg215467.html#msg215467
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2014, 08:08:14 AM »

I have to say that the photo we used in the book may be from May 68.  I tried to precisely date every photo-but that one was based on some secondary info that may not be trustworthy-it could be May.  As I mention in the book (and in a two-part article I wrote on TV apps in ESQ) The BBs taped an appearance on the Les Crane Show while they were in California, before the Maharishi tour (so probably very late April after the Buffalo Springfield tour) in which they discussed meditation.  They probably sang "Friends" there-so it could be from that show (though not much footage survives from Crane's show) The show aired on May 2 1968 when the BBs were in NY making a live appearance on the Tonight Show with Johnny Carson (Tonight show was taped in NY until 1972 when Johnny moved it to Burbank, CA). One irate lady complained to her local paper the next day that she flipped the channel away from the BBs, only to encounter them on another channel!! The Tonight Show footage, according to Carson Productions, was destroyed (though someone somewhere may have a kinescope recorded off the TV). It does survive on audio taped off the TV and the BBs sang "Friends" and "Their Hearts Were Full of Spring."  At this time, the BBs taped the Mike Douglas Show in Philadelphia and performed "Friends" and "Little Bird." The BBs other appearances on the Douglas Show survive but this one is apparently gone. Again an audio tape survives.  Finally-the BBs appeared on Merv Griffin (it aired on May 17) and again probably sang Friends.  This footage has never surfaced.  Maybe the clip comes from this show!

It's not Merv Griffin, he didn't have a panel-style table set like that clip and the host isn't Merv. I'll have to take another look at it but if it were Merv Griffin I would have spotted it.

We've gone over the reasons why in other threads, but someone asked why was the footage destroyed...for the most part these shows were taped on 2" video reels, which were very expensive at the time. The networks did catalog them and save them, but there was one major factor in the cases of why Carson's shows were wiped while Dick Cavett's original video reels survived.

The version I heard was that the shows (and hosts) were given the option to buy their video reels from the network. Apparently Dick Cavett agreed and purchased the video reels of his show's run. This is why his archive exists, and you can see Lennon, Joplin, Hendrix, etc in brilliant quality.

What I heard was that Carson either declined the offer to buy them, or if he was offered it the deal feel through the cracks somehow and they were erased or disposed of by NBC.

Same with ABC's "Joey Bishop Show", they're all but gone including the Monkees '69 appearance. Fans of Mad Men will have noticed last Sunday's episode where Don Draper was watching the Joey Bishop Show on his wife's little black-and-white TV, a nice period touch from that era!

There are interesting 60's Carson tapes leaking out here and there, but I'd say most if not 95% of his NYC based shows are lost forever except as kinescopes. I have one from 63 on video that was found in an Armed Forces Network archive, and Carson's estate recently acquired a similar stash of AFN kinescopes/tapes which were found in a box in office storage or something. They have been actively working with their archives, which is good, and I heard also that Cavett just inked a deal with an online film archive to make his entire catalog (or at least many clips) more widely available.

There may be one Carson clip available from his first years sourced from the actual video reel, and the quality is *stunning* compared to the grainy kinescopes everyone knows. What a shame they weren't saved.

I want to copy and paste this old post of mine so new members here can see the difference between the Carson clips from the 60's we all know best and the way people watched it in 1963 for example. Enough to make you cry to realize clips like the BB's, Lennon/McCartney, Monkees, etc will never be seen as they were broadcast save for a miracle or some obsessive collector/hoarder sitting on a goldmine of a tape stash...

I had to post an example of this for comparison. Imagine this as the difference between an acetate-sourced Smile outtake and a version taken from a vault tape and it's easy to see where this can go.

I don't have professional video capturing equipment here but this is a decent example:

This is what we've seen for years from Johnny Carson's show in the early 60's: a black and white kinescope sourced from film in this kind of quality:

Compare that to this clip, which was taken from one of the only surviving pieces of original 2" Quad videotape from Carson in the early 60's:

It is truly amazing to think of people watching that show in full, vibrant color after assuming the quality we're most familiar with: black and white, poorly defined images, was the way everyone saw the show at home. The only reason why that original 2" videotape clip survived was it had been given to one of the guests on the show and his family had the tape restored and transferred in the last few years.

bringahorseinhere?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2014, 01:56:19 PM »

great post guitarfool.......

enjoyed that greatly and thankyou for your info and knowledge!

RickB
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2014, 02:58:15 PM »

Yeah-I liked that clip on Mad Men. The BBs were on Joey Bishop twice-once in 68 and once in 69. I guess they are gone too. They were real proud of their 68 Carson appearances (they made two that year).  Mike kept mentioning it on the July-Aug 68 tour whenever they did "Their Hearts Were Full of Spring." It's odd that they didn't do Carson again until 1984! When Joan Rivers was a guest host.
retrokid67
Smiley Smile Associate

Denny the Dream

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2014, 02:16:09 AM »

it's back on  Cheesy! I already posted it on the youtube thread but then I remembered this one so here it is again. Can't have too much of the BB right?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pDU-ZOsv1PM

-Dennis Wilson
Stephen W. Desper
Honored Guest

Maintain Dynamics - Keep Peaks below 100%

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2014, 06:35:50 AM »

COMMENT:  You're making me feel old.  I was at every one of those appearances, (above) and mixed the tours during that period -- using the first BB sound system I designed based on Altec 9844A monitors x 8. During live broadcasts my job was to be with the TV show's mixing engineer and give him cues as to who was to sing where and what the levels or balance should be. Union rules did not allow me to mix, but I could advise. Believe me, some of those a cappella numbers arise out of necessity. In those days of commercial air travel, dependability was a factor. The equipment (including all the instruments) could get lost in an airport, delayed in traffic if coming via Steve Korthof driving everything in a truck, or last minute booking while a tour is in progress. Mike Douglus was one of those, although the whole band made it to the show. Also on TV shows, it may be that only a few instruments would fit onto the staging area, so just singing around the mics was appealing -- and encouraged by many program directors as a way of featuring the vocal talents of their guests. Carl and Bruce would put together something, and the guys being seasoned performers and excellent singers would take their lead and make it happen.

Maybe I can remember a few details if you have any questions, but it was a long time ago and general memories are about it.

As someone said, the 2" video tapes were expensive at around $200 each in 1970 dollars. Usually they were kept for a time (maybe a year) and then re-used. These old recordings of shows and such can take up rooms for strorage -- and storage space is real estate and real estate costs money. Today it would be easy to store, but back then it was a pain in the ass to find room for all those reels! The same was going on in recording studios. At the home studio we never discarded any reels of tapes, but did erase and re-record multi-track masters if the song on the tapes was never taken beyond a few tracks and the song was deemed "not good enough" and abandon.

~SWD
retrokid67
Smiley Smile Associate

Denny the Dream

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2014, 08:10:14 AM »

the caption underneath the video says that there was a 1 hour infomercial featuring various clips of them when Endless Harmony first came out. aren't there some extra clips that weren't used in the documentary but were instead used for that? I was looking at some old threads and I've seen that there were a lot more videos like this, but unfortunately most of the links are now broken  Thud.

-Dennis Wilson
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx