gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 09:38:57 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Friends A Capella Video Clip Mystery Revisited  (Read 9308 times)
bonnevillemariner
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 29, 2014, 08:18:53 AM »

Whenever I see a COMMENT: from Mr. Desper I stop everything and am glued to the screen.  The technical stuff is way over my head, but I love reading every word of it.  Brand new info for me every time!
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: July 29, 2014, 09:30:23 AM »

the caption underneath the video says that there was a 1 hour infomercial featuring various clips of them when Endless Harmony first came out. aren't there some extra clips that weren't used in the documentary but were instead used for that? I was looking at some old threads and I've seen that there were a lot more videos like this, but unfortunately most of the links are now broken  Thud.

I saw that info posted under the YouTube video and it's incorrect. Let me say first that one of the people directly involved in compiling these clips for the project has already posted in this thread, and that was Ed Roach (and Alan Boyd) who was responsible for putting all those clips together. He would be the authority on it!

What I can add is that the YouTube comments were wrong, it was not A&E and it wasn't really an infomercial. This was the cable network AMC, and they were running a promotion at the time featuring beach movies and music. It was called "Am-Pop", and I remember it well because I had recorded the videos but then couldn't find the VHS...so when I first got organized online enough to start reaching out and talking to different fans and whatnot, I tried and failed to contact AMC to ask about the BB's material (they never replied), but someone who still posts here actively came through and we traded videos so I finally got it. Thank you again!  Wink

What AMC did with Am-Pop was run a few beach movies, and in between they'd show various music clips, vignettes, short subjects, all of that stuff around the beach theme. These Beach Boys videos from Alan and Ed were scattered around between the movies, but AMC also ran at least a few times an hour-long compilation of all the BB's related videos in one shot. So you'd get the GV firehouse promo, Ed's POB promo film, the Pet Sound promo film and clips, the airline commercial clip, the BB's appearances in Girls On The Beach, the Little Honda promo with Carl riding a bicycle...all of that great stuff.

I may be wrong but I don't think it was "selling" anything like an infomercial, but it was just a full hour of whatever AMC got via Alan and Ed's videos...and some like the GV promo weren't even on Endless Harmony. So the compilation may have been happening at the same time, but it was a separate film-video compilation project.

Does that sound right? Fortunately having someone here who was involved is the best way to correct any of my errors!  Smiley

I may sound obsessive trying to remember this, but I can't express how much my mind was blown when I turned on the TV late one night and saw that GV firehouse video as it was originally shot for the first time, in spectacular quality. One of my all time favorite pieces of video, Brian in Fall 1966 when incredible creativity was in the air and some got captured on film.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
retrokid67
Smiley Smile Associate

Denny the Dream

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 29, 2014, 10:32:40 AM »

the caption underneath the video says that there was a 1 hour infomercial featuring various clips of them when Endless Harmony first came out. aren't there some extra clips that weren't used in the documentary but were instead used for that? I was looking at some old threads and I've seen that there were a lot more videos like this, but unfortunately most of the links are now broken  Thud.

I saw that info posted under the YouTube video and it's incorrect. Let me say first that one of the people directly involved in compiling these clips for the project has already posted in this thread, and that was Ed Roach (and Alan Boyd) who was responsible for putting all those clips together. He would be the authority on it!

What I can add is that the YouTube comments were wrong, it was not A&E and it wasn't really an infomercial. This was the cable network AMC, and they were running a promotion at the time featuring beach movies and music. It was called "Am-Pop", and I remember it well because I had recorded the videos but then couldn't find the VHS...so when I first got organized online enough to start reaching out and talking to different fans and whatnot, I tried and failed to contact AMC to ask about the BB's material (they never replied), but someone who still posts here actively came through and we traded videos so I finally got it. Thank you again!  Wink

What AMC did with Am-Pop was run a few beach movies, and in between they'd show various music clips, vignettes, short subjects, all of that stuff around the beach theme. These Beach Boys videos from Alan and Ed were scattered around between the movies, but AMC also ran at least a few times an hour-long compilation of all the BB's related videos in one shot. So you'd get the GV firehouse promo, Ed's POB promo film, the Pet Sound promo film and clips, the airline commercial clip, the BB's appearances in Girls On The Beach, the Little Honda promo with Carl riding a bicycle...all of that great stuff.

I may be wrong but I don't think it was "selling" anything like an infomercial, but it was just a full hour of whatever AMC got via Alan and Ed's videos...and some like the GV promo weren't even on Endless Harmony. So the compilation may have been happening at the same time, but it was a separate film-video compilation project.

Does that sound right? Fortunately having someone here who was involved is the best way to correct any of my errors!  Smiley

I may sound obsessive trying to remember this, but I can't express how much my mind was blown when I turned on the TV late one night and saw that GV firehouse video as it was originally shot for the first time, in spectacular quality. One of my all time favorite pieces of video, Brian in Fall 1966 when incredible creativity was in the air and some got captured on film.

thanks guitarfool2002  Smiley.  I really liked seeing the clips from the documentary, Ed Roach and Alan Boyd did a great job. but I don't remember the airline commercial though. is it the one where everyone was in it except for Mike (with the guys, including Brian, playing piano and Bruce was singing. I read that in an old thread somewhere but I don't remember which one. there was a link to the video but now it's broken  Sad)? or is it something else?

"In this new day, change your heart.  Forgive your brother, for life is precious."

-Dennis Wilson
metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 29, 2014, 04:54:13 PM »

thanks guitarfool2002  Smiley.  I really liked seeing the clips from the documentary, Ed Roach and Alan Boyd did a great job. but I don't remember the airline commercial though. is it the one where everyone was in it except for Mike (with the guys, including Brian, playing piano and Bruce was singing. I read that in an old thread somewhere but I don't remember which one. there was a link to the video but now it's broken  Sad)? or is it something else?

That sounds about right. In the clip Bruce is sitting at an organ talking about how The Beach Boys "...sing about being free." Carl's in the background playing guitar, along with Dennis at the piano, with Brian and Al harmonising to an unfamiliar tune.

"Quit screaming and start singing from your hearts, huh?" Murry Wilson, March 1965.
metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 29, 2014, 06:57:56 PM »

it's back on  Cheesy! I already posted it on the youtube thread but then I remembered this one so here it is again. Can't have too much of the BB right?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pDU-ZOsv1PM

According to Alan Boyd in the September 1998 issue of ESQ, the acapella clip of Friends was to be included in the Endless Harmony documentary but was ultimately removed due to one of the executives disliking the clip!

"Quit screaming and start singing from your hearts, huh?" Murry Wilson, March 1965.
retrokid67
Smiley Smile Associate

Denny the Dream

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 29, 2014, 10:07:01 PM »

That sounds about right. In the clip Bruce is sitting at an organ talking about how The Beach Boys "...sing about being free." Carl's in the background playing guitar, along with Dennis at the piano, with Brian and Al harmonising to an unfamiliar tune.

did it disappear cuz I really want to see it. looking at those older threads with broken links can be really frustrating  LOL  Sad

"In this new day, change your heart.  Forgive your brother, for life is precious."

-Dennis Wilson
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx