gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680841 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 26, 2024, 06:30:41 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Beach Boys Survivor #29 Winner: My Love Lives On  (Read 73792 times)
Gabo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #375 on: May 06, 2014, 12:51:02 AM »

Barbara should go before It's Over Now... it's a far less accomplished song musically and lyrically... it's completely uninteresting in every way

To each his own, I think Barbara isn't a very good song - but is not quite as bad as It's Over Now (Or Still I Dream Of It, for that matter)

It's Over Now and Still I Dream Of It are Brian's attempts at slushy, Las Vegas style tunes. They aren't even close to his best work, but at least they sound somewhat distinctive. Unlike Barbara.
Please delete my account
Smiley Smile Associate

Please delete my account

View Profile
« Reply #376 on: May 06, 2014, 02:23:31 AM »

I know it's all subjective but there's a lot of bizarro world voting going on in this round.

To me, "It's Over Now" and ""Still I Dream Of It", are (together with "The Night Was So Young") easily the best Beach Boys songs post-Holland. Oh well, at least if one of them gets prematurely voted off it'll save me the difficult job of choosing between them in the final.

Please delete my account
Quzi
Smiley Smile Associate

Eagerly awaiting tHe BeDRoOM TaPES

View Profile
« Reply #377 on: May 06, 2014, 02:29:06 AM »

Barbara

"A/S/L"?
"Age:24. That's when Brian Wilson made Pet Sounds. Sex: Brian Wilson was having loads of sex with Marilyn when he made Pet Sounds. Location: Gold Star Studios, where Brian Wilson assembled with the Wrecking Crew to make Pet Sounds. Hbu?"
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #378 on: May 06, 2014, 02:31:19 AM »

My Luv Lives On
Watch a Cave
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #379 on: May 06, 2014, 04:02:41 AM »

Surprised Sherry didn't make the top 5..  that backing track is amazing.

Anyway voting for Barbara again.
Domino
Smiley Smile Associate

Hypnotize me, Van Dyke

View Profile
« Reply #380 on: May 06, 2014, 09:05:08 AM »

Barbara

Brian on why he loves God Only Knows: "Because Paul McCartney said it was his favourite song"

"New rule: Having anything to do with the creation of a punk rawk version of "All You Need Is Love" (never with the horn part because lol hornz are silly and dumb) gets you the death penalty. No questions, no trial, it's your fault, pick out your coffin." - runnersdialzero
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #381 on: May 06, 2014, 09:52:55 AM »

Barbara should go before It's Over Now... it's a far less accomplished song musically and lyrically... it's completely uninteresting in every way

To each his own, I think Barbara isn't a very good song - but is not quite as bad as It's Over Now (Or Still I Dream Of It, for that matter)

It's Over Now and Still I Dream Of It are Brian's attempts at slushy, Las Vegas style tunes. They aren't even close to his best work, but at least they sound somewhat distinctive. Unlike Barbara.

So Gabo, I could be wrong, but I'm starting to get the impression you're not a huge fan of Dennis' work...? Smiley
Foster's Freeze
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #382 on: May 06, 2014, 10:00:48 AM »

Mike Love lives On

Mike's not a Hawthorne boy. The Hawthorne guys stuck together. The Wilsons and I always had a special bond. We felt like we were a team.
feelsflow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #383 on: May 06, 2014, 10:51:25 AM »

"Barbara" Whose gentle love lives on and on and on and on...
btw those Las Vegas show tunes soothe my soul.  There is so much emotion put in lines like, The noise outside my window carries on, Like distant bugles love is very gone - It's Over Now.  It took a part of me, the heart of me, To watch it fade away, It's Over Now...It's Over now...Shades of blue and purple haunt me.
simple, beautiful, breathtaking.  Hung on music that can break the hardest heart.
I gave Adult/Child a spin last Saturday night, then played both of Carl's long-players.  Then queued up my new RSD 45s by Van Dyke ("Come To The Sunshine"/"Farther Along"), The Sunrays (sonic bliss - get your hands on it before it's gone), and last years Iron and Wine (Sam put out two singles in 2013, three tracks non-album).  Then See by The Rascals.  Finishing off with Sunflower, which really does sound better on vinyl.  Most things do.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2014, 11:00:51 AM by feelsflow » Logged

...if you are honest - you have no idea where childhood ends and maturity begins.  It is all endless and all one.  ~ P.L. Travers        And, let's get this out of the way now, everything I post is my opinion.  ~ Will
Gabo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #384 on: May 06, 2014, 11:09:49 PM »

So Gabo, I could be wrong, but I'm starting to get the impression you're not a huge fan of Dennis' work...? Smiley

I like a lot of it, but I think a lot of his slow ballads, like Barbara, aren't very good. I'm not hear to slam his work, I'm voting for the track I like least. I like Barnyard Blues, It's a New Day, etc. a lot more than this track.
Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #385 on: May 07, 2014, 12:49:53 AM »

It’s Over (Pappa Om Mow Mow) Now
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #386 on: May 07, 2014, 10:27:47 AM »

I like a lot of it, but I think a lot of his slow ballads, like Barbara, aren't very good. I'm not hear to slam his work, I'm voting for the track I like least. I like Barnyard Blues, It's a New Day, etc. a lot more than this track.

No worries. Wasn't a dig, just an observation. Personally, Dennis can't get soppy enough as far as I'm concerned, but that's the beauty of the Beach Boys, there's something for all tastes...
leggo of my ego
Smiley Smile Associate

Beach Boys Stomp

View Profile
« Reply #387 on: May 07, 2014, 11:53:27 AM »

Still I Cringe From It

Hey Little Tomboy is creepy. Banging women by the pool is fun and conjures up warm summer thoughts a Beach Boys song should.

Necessity knows no law
A bootlegger knows no law
Therefore: A bootlegger is a necessity
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #388 on: May 07, 2014, 12:44:01 PM »

Welcome back to a new round of BEACH BOYS SURVIVOR. This is a list complied by Fall Breaks and perfected by YOU. Remember to be respectful of others opinions. Please don't spam the thread with too much opinionating (a little is ok  :D ).... and without further ado...

Barbara... You're the next track voted off. How does it feel to loose in this round? But I love you. I love you. I love you. God I dooooooo Cry

As usual vote for your least favorite track. The track with the most votes gets voted off.

Tally on May 9th

My Love Lives On
Still I Dream Of It
It’s Over Now
California Feelin’ (MIC 1978 version)

Round#1 - Why April 19
Round#2 - Brian's Back April 21
Round#3 - Sea Cruise April 23
Round#4 - All Alone April 25
Round#5 - It’s A Beautiful Day April 27
Round#6 - Our Team April 29
Round#7 - You’ve Lost That Lovin’ Feelin’ (MIC) May 1
Round#8 - Barnyard Blues May 3
Round#9 - Sherry She Needs Me (MIC) May 5
Round#10 - Barbara May 7

Cafilornya Droomin' is teh nexer go!
« Last Edit: May 07, 2014, 03:37:45 PM by pixletwin » Logged
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #389 on: May 07, 2014, 01:11:23 PM »

Thank goodness, I was running out of ways to vote "Barbara".
Now I vote for "California Feelin'".
Matt H
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #390 on: May 07, 2014, 01:26:10 PM »

It’s Over Now
baseball95
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #391 on: May 07, 2014, 01:39:15 PM »

My Love Lives On
TimeToGetAlone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #392 on: May 07, 2014, 01:41:02 PM »

I guess I'll go with California Feelin', if only because this version has a "what-could-have-been" vibe.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #393 on: May 07, 2014, 01:44:36 PM »

California Feeling

“We live in divisive times.”
Catbirdman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #394 on: May 07, 2014, 01:52:03 PM »

My love lives on

My real name is Peter Aaron Beyer. I live in Baltimore, Maryland, USA.
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #395 on: May 07, 2014, 02:28:49 PM »

My Love Lives On

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
Nicko1234
« Reply #396 on: May 07, 2014, 02:49:14 PM »

It`s Over Now
retrokid67
Smiley Smile Associate

Denny the Dream

View Profile
« Reply #397 on: May 07, 2014, 03:05:08 PM »

...California  Roll Eyes

"In this new day, change your heart.  Forgive your brother, for life is precious."

-Dennis Wilson
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #398 on: May 07, 2014, 03:06:30 PM »

S'ova Now

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
Dudd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #399 on: May 07, 2014, 03:32:15 PM »

My Love Lives On

Quote from: Brian Wilson
It’s going to be the greatest tribute album ever made.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx