gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680813 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 25, 2024, 02:31:32 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 20 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Beach Boys Survivor #29 Winner: My Love Lives On  (Read 73704 times)
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #325 on: May 04, 2014, 01:21:16 AM »

It's Over Now

'Heeeeeeeaaaaavvvvvvennnnn, heaven is far away, angels no longer play..' - one of my least favourite moments in the Boys' entire catalogue! It's ghastly. I really do quite dislike the 'adult' Adult/Child tracks.

Sherry is a brilliant song, even with the dodgy '70's lead vocal.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #326 on: May 04, 2014, 04:13:49 AM »

Cafilornya Feelin

“We live in divisive times.”
Fall Breaks
Smiley Smile Associate

How it really got to my soul

View Profile
« Reply #327 on: May 04, 2014, 04:54:15 AM »

Barbara

"I think people should write better melodies and sing a little sweeter, and knock off that stupid rap crap, y’know? Rap is really ridiculous" -- Brian Wilson, 2010
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #328 on: May 04, 2014, 05:11:57 AM »

My Love Lives On

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
smilethebeachboysloveyou
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #329 on: May 04, 2014, 06:15:45 AM »

California Feeling.  People need to stop voting for "Sherry."
Matt H
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #330 on: May 04, 2014, 07:55:09 AM »

It’s Over Now
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #331 on: May 04, 2014, 08:34:37 AM »

Sherry
TimeToGetAlone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #332 on: May 04, 2014, 09:10:04 AM »

Barbara
Nicko1234
« Reply #333 on: May 04, 2014, 03:11:08 PM »

Sherry
Gertie J.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #334 on: May 04, 2014, 05:03:18 PM »

sherry

dj, blogger, and hanger-on
baseball95
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #335 on: May 04, 2014, 06:17:21 PM »

Barbara
mikeyj
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #336 on: May 04, 2014, 07:16:54 PM »

Sherry She Needs Me
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #337 on: May 05, 2014, 12:50:18 AM »

Even in its Frankenstein MIC mix, Sherry remains a tremendous song from Brian's golden period as a songwriter - the song would've turned Summer Days... from a brilliant album into an exceptional one.

It's Over Now and Still I Dream of It are syrupy, schmaltzy and decidedly un-Beach Boys-like, with so-bad-they're-bad lyrics and some truly horrible, horrible singing. Their appeal leaves me cold. Hell, I'd rather listen to Lines or Life is For the Living than either of those two...

Sorry, just had to get that off my chest.
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #338 on: May 05, 2014, 01:02:27 AM »

omg I hate u gais....Barnyard Blues is stellar compared to Sherry, which only has a incredible backing track, but the vocals are terrible and the lyrics belong in the trash

"sheeeeryyy don't hate her guts because took meee awaaaaaaayyyyyyyyiiiiiiiieeeee, and maybe you'll wanna make friends with her someeedaaayyyyy

[last part sung in ear bleeding falsetto which constantly reminds you 1965 Brian is gone and you're listening to a damaged fat loon who at this time was busy writing Calendar Girl and Hey Little Tomboy, both songs so absurdly sexual-intention-with-a-minor in lyrical content as to warrent the LAPD to search Brian's basement for missing children.]
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #339 on: May 05, 2014, 01:06:45 AM »

omg I hate u gais....Barnyard Blues is stellar compared to Sherry, which only has a incredible backing track, but the vocal delivery is terrible and the lyrics belong in the trash can. The song is about a dude openly declaring to his former partner that he found another one who he wants to love and f*ck, but they can still be friends and maybe the ex wants to befriend the new GF. LOLOLOLOLOL. What logical thinking brought him to decide on such a topic and with those lyrics...

"sheeeeryyy don't hate her guts because took meee awaaaaaaayyyyyyyyiiiiiiiieeeee, and maybe you'll wanna make friends with her someeedaaayyyyy

[last part sung in ear bleeding falsetto which constantly reminds you 1965 Brian is gone and you're listening to a damaged fat loon who at this time was busy writing Calendar Girl and Hey Little Tomboy, both songs so absurdly sexual-intention-with-a-minor in lyrical content as to warrent the LAPD to search Brian's basement for missing children.]
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #340 on: May 05, 2014, 01:11:34 AM »

omg I hate u gais....Barnyard Blues is stellar compared to Sherry, which only has a incredible backing track, but the vocals are terrible and the lyrics belong in the trash

Cheesy
bluesno1fann
« Reply #341 on: May 05, 2014, 01:49:57 AM »

It's Over Now and Still I Dream of It are syrupy, schmaltzy and decidedly un-Beach Boys-like, with so-bad-they're-bad lyrics and some truly horrible, horrible singing. Their appeal leaves me cold.

Agreed! Agreed all the way!
Quzi
Smiley Smile Associate

Eagerly awaiting tHe BeDRoOM TaPES

View Profile
« Reply #342 on: May 05, 2014, 02:28:23 AM »

...who at this time was busy writing Calendar Girl

I'm kinda impressed that people out there have gone about their lives without hearing the Neil Sedaka original Grin

"A/S/L"?
"Age:24. That's when Brian Wilson made Pet Sounds. Sex: Brian Wilson was having loads of sex with Marilyn when he made Pet Sounds. Location: Gold Star Studios, where Brian Wilson assembled with the Wrecking Crew to make Pet Sounds. Hbu?"
Watch a Cave
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #343 on: May 05, 2014, 04:30:32 AM »

Barbara
Ovi
Smiley Smile Associate

They know I'm rock 'n' roll through and through.

View Profile
« Reply #344 on: May 05, 2014, 04:37:53 AM »

It's Over Now and Still I Dream of It are syrupy, schmaltzy and decidedly un-Beach Boys-like, with so-bad-they're-bad lyrics and some truly horrible, horrible singing. Their appeal leaves me cold.

There's nothing wrong with being decidedly un-Beach Boys-like. Pet Sounds was decidedly un-Beach Boys-like. And, what's wrong with horrible singing? Love You,much?

The singing may be horrible technically, but it all comes from the heart, both leads are astonishingly full of emotion. I'm waiting for the day when we can all agree that some of the work Brian was doing in the mid/late 70's (Love You, Adult Child) was as good, at least on an emotional level, as Pet Sounds. Till then I'm just a dreamer...
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #345 on: May 05, 2014, 05:49:52 AM »

There's nothing wrong with being decidedly un-Beach Boys-like. Pet Sounds was decidedly un-Beach Boys-like. And, what's wrong with horrible singing? Love You,much?

I should have written 'un-Beach Boys-like, but not in a good way'. 'What's wrong with horrible singing'? That's like saying 'what's wrong with piles?' or 'what's wrong with Robbie Williams?'
Foster's Freeze
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #346 on: May 05, 2014, 06:26:21 AM »

Sherry baby it's the morning, get out

Mike's not a Hawthorne boy. The Hawthorne guys stuck together. The Wilsons and I always had a special bond. We felt like we were a team.
feelsflow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #347 on: May 05, 2014, 06:50:25 AM »

"Barbara"

...if you are honest - you have no idea where childhood ends and maturity begins.  It is all endless and all one.  ~ P.L. Travers        And, let's get this out of the way now, everything I post is my opinion.  ~ Will
leggo of my ego
Smiley Smile Associate

Beach Boys Stomp

View Profile
« Reply #348 on: May 05, 2014, 06:51:28 AM »

SIDOI

Not sure what he's Dreaming of

but id rather forget it.

Hey Little Tomboy is creepy. Banging women by the pool is fun and conjures up warm summer thoughts a Beach Boys song should.

Necessity knows no law
A bootlegger knows no law
Therefore: A bootlegger is a necessity
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #349 on: May 05, 2014, 07:00:27 AM »

Tally is a-coming.  Shocked
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 20 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to: