gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 12:56:14 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: Which would you choose?
Today!/Summer Days(And Summer Nights!!) - 47 (56%)
Sunflower/Surf's Up - 37 (44%)
Total Voters: 77

Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Ultimate Poll: Today!/Summer Days(And Summer Nights!!) vs. Sunflower/Surf's Up  (Read 14216 times)
sockittome
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 30, 2012, 07:52:26 AM »

All of the above. 

I can't bring myself to pick one over the other.  It would be like trying to pick my favorite food.  Some days it's pizza, some days it's steak, some days it's enchiladas, other days it's stir fry.  Just depends on what I'm in the mood for.

Although "Don't Go Near the Water" is like discovering that somebody stuck olives on the pizza.  I just pick those off and throw them away, and everything's perfect!
Paulos
« Reply #26 on: September 30, 2012, 07:59:09 AM »

I went for Today!/Summer Days, there isn't a song I dislike on either Today or Sunflower and Summer Days trumps Surf's Up by not having Take A Load Off Your Feet and Student Demonstration Time.
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: September 30, 2012, 09:09:17 PM »

Perhaps I should add that if I were to choose my favorite two-fer ever, I would probably either go with Smiley Smile/Wild Honey or Friends/20/20 rather than one of these two.

seconded.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
ivy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 30, 2012, 09:27:50 PM »

Definitely Today/Summer Days for me. I love Please Let Me Wonder and Kiss Me Baby alone more than the whole of Sunflower/Surf's Up. They are 20% of the top 10.

To me SLC and APUSA are among the best tracks on 'Summer Days' - in fact, the only really 'weak' tracks would be You're So Good to Me and I'm Bugged at My Ol' Man , and I really don't mind those tracks.

I'm also surprised that people seem not to like You're So Good To Me. I never considered it one of the weaker tracks. Though the lyrics always make me laugh. It's like the least romantic, most self-absorbed love song ever.

And I LOVE I'm Bugged At My Ol' Man! Both because I think it's cute and because it is a unique display of Brian's insane vocal gymnastics.
tansen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 01, 2012, 01:44:47 AM »

Definitely Today/Summer Days for me. I love Please Let Me Wonder and Kiss Me Baby alone more than the whole of Sunflower/Surf's Up. They are 20% of the top 10.

To me SLC and APUSA are among the best tracks on 'Summer Days' - in fact, the only really 'weak' tracks would be You're So Good to Me and I'm Bugged at My Ol' Man , and I really don't mind those tracks.

I'm also surprised that people seem not to like You're So Good To Me. I never considered it one of the weaker tracks. Though the lyrics always make me laugh. It's like the least romantic, most self-absorbed love song ever.

And I LOVE I'm Bugged At My Ol' Man! Both because I think it's cute and because it is a unique display of Brian's insane vocal gymnastics.

Yeah, that's why I wrote 'weak'. Because really, both of those songs have their charm for sure - all though I think the other songs on the album are better. And while I love 'Til I Die and Surf's Up (all though I much prefer Brian's piano demo version of the latter to the album version), I think 'Summer Days' ends up being a lot better.

Tansen - "He Who Commands an Army of Notes"
bluesno1fann
« Reply #30 on: April 14, 2014, 02:30:59 AM »

Without a doubt, Sunflower/Surf's Up.

All top-notch albums though!
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: April 14, 2014, 11:26:47 PM »

Today! is my favorite BB album, though I may be the only one here who likes the first side better than the second.

SD/SN would be a much better album with a better track order. The three weakest tracks are hidden at the end of the album, so if I listen it through, I end up with a feeling of "not that good".

Sunflower is great, but I never thought Surf's Up was really good, so I vote for the 1965 twofer.

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
Watch a Cave
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 15, 2014, 03:41:34 AM »

Without a doubt..  Today and Summer Days.

Love love love these albums.  Side one of Today rocks.  Beach Boy perfection.

I do love Sunflower as well, but Surf's Up doesn't resonate with me as much.  With all the great songs they had in the can at that point the tracklist could have been SO much better.  Sigh.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2014, 03:44:11 AM by Watch a Cave » Logged
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 15, 2014, 05:31:26 AM »

Twofer polls introduce a new element----bonus tracks----just to make things more difficult, lol. "Little Girl" is a huge and very tempting plus on the earlier twofer. Even so, my vote goes to the later one----that has Surf's Up on it. :=)

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 15, 2014, 11:20:47 AM »

I go with Today!/Summer Days (And Summer Nights!!).

That second side of Today! is killer. I'd probably take "Please Let Me Wonder" over any song from Sunflower or Surf's Up.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 15, 2014, 12:16:34 PM »

Today!/Summer Days

Nothing from Sunflower or Surf's Up moves me as much as 'She Knows Me Too Well'. There's hardly another Beach Boys song with such melodic complexity as 'In The Back Of My Mind'.

Today! is nearly a perfect album...from the harmonies to the chord progressions, from the song themes to the structure of the album itself - it's a masterpiece.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: April 16, 2014, 12:24:04 AM »

Today!/Summer Days

Nothing from Sunflower or Surf's Up moves me as much as 'She Knows Me Too Well'. There's hardly another Beach Boys song with such melodic complexity as 'In The Back Of My Mind'.

Today! is nearly a perfect album...from the harmonies to the chord progressions, from the song themes to the structure of the album itself - it's a masterpiece.

That shows how different the perceptions of different brains are - I totally agree with you that Today! is a near-perfect album... but to me 'She Knows Me Too Well' is the third weakest track on it after Bull Session and "I'm So Young". Sorry! Lips Sealed

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 16, 2014, 02:34:08 AM »

Today!/Summer Days

That shows how different the perceptions of different brains are - I totally agree with you that Today! is a near-perfect album... but to me 'She Knows Me Too Well' is the third weakest track on it after Bull Session and "I'm So Young". Sorry! Lips Sealed
Really???!!! "I'm So Young" is one of my favourite Beach Boys track on any album----as you say, different brains, different perceptions... 

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 17, 2014, 07:35:51 AM »

Today!/Summer Days

That deep bass rhythm coupled with the Boy's high harmonies...gah, it's heavenly. But to each their own Cheesy

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Don Malcolm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 17, 2014, 07:57:30 AM »

I went with Sunflower/Surf's Up slightly.  Today! may very well be the best album on there thanks to the gorgeous side two, but I'm very fond of Sunflower as well.  Summer Days is a good album but I find it a little more inconsistent as I do Surf's Up, and the highs of Surf's Up are hard to match almost anywhere.

I, for one, would love to see TTGA do one of his patented cross-album song comparison/ranking thingees for these two 2-fers. I think it would make for a fascinating list. I'd do it myself but I'd rather not steal his thunder.  3D

Loves The Sunflower
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 18, 2014, 01:04:34 AM »

I'm new here, but I'd like to speak to someone about making a formal request to have this poll removed from this board -and expunged from the history of the internet. Forever. LOL

I'm sorry but... I absolutely love almost everything The Beach Boys did between 1965 and 1973. 'Tis my favorite period and trying to decide on a favorite between two two-fers from my favorite period... One word: impossible. 
kookadams
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: May 13, 2014, 12:26:56 PM »

Today and Summer Days both landmark albums, Sunflower was pretty close, I never inderstood why Surfs Up sold so much better than Sunflower tho//
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx