gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 09:14:40 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Once again the myth is proclaimed  (Read 8342 times)
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 17, 2014, 08:08:52 AM »

Wasn't this inevitable?

What bgas said.

Hope he's in good hands there.

Y're both right… but I wouldn't wish it on anyone…  I'm sure he'd rather be strumming and humming…

“We live in divisive times.”
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: April 17, 2014, 10:41:46 AM »

Kent Hartman's book hasn't done the facts any favours, even getting Brian's age and height incorrect when he heard "Be My Baby" Shocked Does anyone know if Brian ever owned an aquamarine Pontiac Grand Prix, as Kent claims?
Brian owned a 1963 Pontiac Grand Prix...the color is metallic turquoise which has an aquamarine-ish look. Carl owned the same car, same color, but a 1964 model (pictured on the cover of Shut Down Vol 2). BTW Brian's '63 is on the cover of the Hawthorne CA CD. Jon Stebbins also had a metallic Turquoise 1963 Grand Prix, but sold it when I started raising my kids back in the late '90's. Nice cars they are.

Very cool.

I'm a Chevy guy, but that's a nice ride.  Smiley

For those reading who may be interested, if you ever spot an old Grand Prix cruising in your area, you can tell the "Brian" '63 from the "Carl" '64 by looking at the front grill. The 63 had round parking lights in the grill, the 64 had rectangular.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 17, 2014, 01:50:21 PM »

I love that c-mann not only takes the time to dig up the FACTS but he also comes here to share them with us. It's guys like him that make this board truly special.
metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 17, 2014, 03:06:36 PM »

Thank you Jon and guitarfool2002 for that automobile info.

"Quit screaming and start singing from your hearts, huh?" Murry Wilson, March 1965.
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 18, 2014, 01:39:15 AM »

To me this type of post/thread is so much more important and interesting than the constant barrage of poll threads, survivor threads, best of this threads, worst of that threads...I applaud Craig for the time, effort, and guts it takes to adjust and correct history. It's not a very glamorous or well paying job, and too many people, even fans on this board ignore it, or don't really take it to heart. Thanks to Rocker for starting the thread, thanks to C-man for nailing it down.

I love that c-mann not only takes the time to dig up the FACTS but he also comes here to share them with us. It's guys like him that make this board truly special.

Hey Jon - I'd like to second pixletwin's comments and assure you that some of us really, really appreciate Craig's work - and your work, and Lee Dempsey's stuff, and David Beard's gear, and the Legendary AGD's joints, the work of Stephen D and Will C - not to mention the myriad insights from long servers like Mikie, bgas, Steve Mayo, fille de plage the list goes on - you're all pretty inspiring to poll happy dudes like me: and certainly far from ignored -  y'all Rock! - Al

(and I used to have a '57 Chevy, but had to shift it in favour of a station wagon once the family started to appear  LOL)

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 19, 2014, 12:53:01 PM »

Concerning Good Vibrations, I don't think anyone was on the final cut. The sounds are straight from the heavens! :-)

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 19, 2014, 05:45:04 PM »

To me this type of post/thread is so much more important and interesting than the constant barrage of poll threads, survivor threads, best of this threads, worst of that threads.

Man, we can't all make post after post clarifying important/interesting info for like, ten million reasons. Cry

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 19, 2014, 09:29:22 PM »

Not to knock Glen in any way, shape, or form...personally I love him! I doubt he knowingly put forth misinformation in this case; rather, my guess would be that when doing the aforementioned interview in 1980, he was "lead into" the statement by the interviewer ("Glen, talk about your involvement in the 'Good Vibrations' sessions"). And he no doubt remembered playing on several 1966 BBs/BW sessions (coincidentally, five), so with the passage of time, it's understandable that he might associate his five 1966 BBs sessions with their biggest hit from that year, especially if prompted to do so.

I think that's the gist of what happened, too.  The man's done everything, he wouldn't lie about playing on a track to get clout, he doesn't need it.  Not to knock him but he's also had struggles with alcoholism forever, and likely doesn't remember for sure a ton of the sessions he did back in the day.  Hell I'm sober as a judge and I can't remember what I did a couple hours ago.

metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 19, 2014, 10:57:12 PM »

IIRC, Glen was quick to correct an interviewer in Stomp who thought that he, rather than Carl, played the intro to "Fun, Fun, Fun."

"Quit screaming and start singing from your hearts, huh?" Murry Wilson, March 1965.
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: April 20, 2014, 07:29:44 AM »

IIRC, Glen was quick to correct an interviewer in Stomp who thought that he, rather than Carl, played the intro to "Fun, Fun, Fun."

Really? I KNEW I shouldn't have let me STOMP! subscription lag years ago...!
Anyone know what issue that was?
Zander
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: April 20, 2014, 02:25:17 PM »

I've read it recently, can't tell you the issue number off hand but it was an oldie - possibly late 90's when Glen came to the UK promoting something...

They say I got brains but they ain't doing me no good, I wish they could...
metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 20, 2014, 02:58:04 PM »

Issue 111, p. 15.

c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: April 20, 2014, 04:07:04 PM »

Issue 111, p. 15.

Damn...my last issue was 108! Wonder if that one's still available as a back issue?
Don Malcolm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 20, 2014, 04:53:03 PM »

Issue 111, p. 15.

Damn...my last issue was 108! Wonder if that one's still available as a back issue?

Seriously funny, Craig...I guess we might be able to cut Glen a little slack, though, since his health-related memory problems are now rapidly bringing things to a close for him. That said, it's clear that his memory had been playing tricks on him for quite awhile prior to that...

I was wondering if there's a way for you to create something like a "master table" of the session players on all of the tracking sessions for GV...something like running the instruments as an anchor on the left column, with the participants splayed out in five adjacent columns so we can see how the personnel changed? Would make a fascinating table if you have the time and inclination to assemble it.

Love that stuff about the Pontiacs!! Those were the days--muscle cars and cheap gas! Even consumerism was more innocent back then, eh? Curious, though--can anybody do the conversion and tell me what 27¢ per gallon in 1965 would be in 2014 $$??
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 20, 2014, 07:47:49 PM »

Issue 111, p. 15.

Seriously funny, Craig...I guess we might be able to cut Glen a little slack, though, since his health-related memory problems are now rapidly bringing things to a close for him. That said, it's clear that his memory had been playing tricks on him for quite awhile prior to that...

I was wondering if there's a way for you to create something like a "master table" of the session players on all of the tracking sessions for GV...something like running the instruments as an anchor on the left column, with the participants splayed out in five adjacent columns so we can see how the personnel changed? Would make a fascinating table if you have the time and inclination to assemble it.

Love that stuff about the Pontiacs!! Those were the days--muscle cars and cheap gas! Even consumerism was more innocent back then, eh? Curious, though--can anybody do the conversion and tell me what 27¢ per gallon in 1965 would be in 2014 $$??

This is the easiest one I found:  http://www.coinnews.net/tools/cpi-inflation-calculator/

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Don Malcolm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 20, 2014, 10:13:19 PM »

Thanks, bgas! According to that, 27¢ a gallon gas in '65 would translate to $2.03 today. So mebbe that means that the oil companies are padding their product cost by a factor of around 2 to 1, given that prices are stubbornly remaining over $4 right now.

Sort of "Gettin' In Over My (Over)Head," perhaps???  Undecided
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx