gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 09:16:13 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: R.I.P. Joey Ramone... († 2001) | GENERAL RAMONES THREAD  (Read 3287 times)
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« on: April 15, 2014, 03:59:29 AM »

He left us 13 years ago this day, 15th of April. Wearing an awful-smelling Ramones shirt today, spinning Joey's solo output in his honour. Rest in punk.

« Last Edit: May 02, 2014, 07:13:44 AM by Lowbacca » Logged
Orange Crate Art
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2014, 07:22:17 AM »

I love Joey's voice. There aren't too many great singers in 'punk rock', but Joey was an amazing singer. I saw the Ramones countless times before they broke up in 1996. Joey's death saddened me. RIP Joey Ramone

Hey did you hear that George fell into his French horn?
feelsflow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2014, 03:04:50 PM »

They were Cool.  Saw the End of the Century Tour at The Warfield, but my best story is the San Francisco Civic Center Plaza June 1979.  It was Hot, really hot.  In the 90s.  Everybody where I was working wanted to go to this lunchtime concert.  We drew straws for two to go, and I won one of the draws!  When they hit the stage Dee Dee gave the Shout 1234 - and off on a one hour non-stop rip.  Joey decided he had to wear his leathers - unbelievable.  He didn't even break a sweat.  They had a knack for blasting through the old 60's numbers like "California Sun" "Do You wanna Dance?" "Surfin' Bird" and "Rockaway Beach."  There is footage on Youtube of this show, some film and the complete audio (27 fast ones).
Joey is missed, but let's not forget Johnny and Dee Dee too.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2014, 03:10:46 PM by feelsflow » Logged

...if you are honest - you have no idea where childhood ends and maturity begins.  It is all endless and all one.  ~ P.L. Travers        And, let's get this out of the way now, everything I post is my opinion.  ~ Will
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2014, 06:49:33 PM »

They were Cool.  Saw the End of the Century Tour at The Warfield, but my best story is the San Francisco Civic Center Plaza June 1979.  It was Hot, really hot.  In the 90s.  Everybody where I was working wanted to go to this lunchtime concert.  We drew straws for two to go, and I won one of the draws!  When they hit the stage Dee Dee gave the Shout 1234 - and off on a one hour non-stop rip.  Joey decided he had to wear his leathers - unbelievable.  He didn't even break a sweat.  They had a knack for blasting through the old 60's numbers like "California Sun" "Do You wanna Dance?" "Surfin' Bird" and "Rockaway Beach."  There is footage on Youtube of this show, some film and the complete audio (27 fast ones).
Thank you for the anecdote!

Joey is missed, but let's not forget Johnny and Dee Dee too.
Of course not..
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2014, 06:52:41 PM »

Those with Netflix subscriptions can (and should) watch Rock 'n' Roll High School in his honor.

Aum Bop Diddit
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2014, 04:54:07 PM »

Those with Netflix subscriptions can (and should) watch Rock 'n' Roll High School in his honor.

And the tremendous documentary "End of the Century."

Hey!  Those are *MY* wind chimes!
mickbrown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2014, 03:05:28 AM »

The reason why there was a music revolution in 1970's was because of the saturation of pop at the era. That was how punk was born beginning with The Ramones.

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2014, 04:48:20 AM »

Not a hardcore Ramones fan but I gotta agree that Joey is indeed a good singer with cool vocal style. Nevertheless, there is sth. I don't get: in some local message board, people - majority - came to general consensus that "Bonzo Goes to Bitburg" is the highlight of the group. What's more astonishing is that it's not among their popular songs or the one you would call classic. So I went on to check what's the fuss about. Played Bonzo 3 times in a row & didn't like it at all, nothing grabbed me. "And this is the collective choice?", I asked myself. So what will you say, my friends, is "Bonzo Goes to Bitburg" really The Ramones at their best or as much as I you don't care for it/have another objective nominee?

"California Sun" never sounded better than in punk rock.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
Ovi
Smiley Smile Associate

They know I'm rock 'n' roll through and through.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2014, 05:07:28 AM »

Amen, that's their best song for my money. Perfect synthesis between their influences and their sound.
Aum Bop Diddit
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2014, 09:43:12 AM »

Not a hardcore Ramones fan but I gotta agree that Joey is indeed a good singer with cool vocal style. Nevertheless, there is sth. I don't get: in some local message board, people - majority - came to general consensus that "Bonzo Goes to Bitburg" is the highlight of the group. What's more astonishing is that it's not among their popular songs or the one you would call classic. So I went on to check what's the fuss about. Played Bonzo 3 times in a row & didn't like it at all, nothing grabbed me. "And this is the collective choice?", I asked myself. So what will you say, my friends, is "Bonzo Goes to Bitburg" really The Ramones at their best or as much as I you don't care for it/have another objective nominee?

I think "Bonzo" is a cool, pretty great song and I enjoy it.  I'd put it in their top dozen (not faint praise!).  It has a little different feel than some of their other stuff, a little more power pop maybe?  And some real passion as well as the usual dose of clever humor, and this time as political satire which is also a change for the band.  But Johnny didn't dig the sentiment too much so they changed the title.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2014, 11:11:08 PM by Aum Bop Diddit » Logged

Hey!  Those are *MY* wind chimes!
feelsflow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2014, 03:58:13 PM »

I just heard it announced that the first Ramones album, after 38 years, has gone GOLD!  HIP HIP  And A HOP!!
Half a million happy pit divers served.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2014, 04:00:12 PM by feelsflow » Logged

...if you are honest - you have no idea where childhood ends and maturity begins.  It is all endless and all one.  ~ P.L. Travers        And, let's get this out of the way now, everything I post is my opinion.  ~ Will
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2014, 03:59:55 PM »

Jukka
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2014, 08:43:58 PM »

That vaa got to be the greatest photograph ever, perfect distillation of everything I love about in rock 'n' roll music! Gee, I wish I could order a huge blow-up of that from somewhere...

"Surfing and cars were okay but there was a war going on."
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2014, 11:36:27 AM »

That vaa got to be the greatest photograph ever, perfect distillation of everything I love about in rock 'n' roll music! Gee, I wish I could order a huge blow-up of that from somewhere...
You and me both, man.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx