gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 08:42:36 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Wouldn't It Be Nice - Instrumental Track Re-Creation  (Read 6539 times)
JoelKoster
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: April 15, 2014, 12:52:51 AM »

Hi all! As a few of you might be aware I have a Youtube channel on which I've attempted to re-create Pet Sounds a few times (I know it sounds a little obsessive doesn't it Cheesy ). I released a version last year which I wasn't completely satisfied with but it taught me a heap about the production and arranging side of things.

Anyway, I just wanted to share a little project I've been doing over the past 2-3 months. I've been working to make a note for note replication of the instrumental track from "Wouldn't It Be Nice". I tried to get as close as I could to the positioning and mixing of the original track as possible.

Here it is: https://soundcloud.com/joel-koster/wouldnt-it-be-nice-instrumental-track

Here's a little info on how I recorded it

Track 1 Mix: Rhythm Track
Drums, Tambourine, Timpani, Bells, String Bass, Electric Bass, Picked Electric Bass/Guitar

Track 2 Mix: Keyboards and Guitars
12 String Electric Guitars x2, Grand Piano, Upright Tack Piano, Accordions (Doubled), Hollow body electric (mic'd up acoustically),

Track 3 Mix: Horns
Trumpet, 2 Tenor Saxes, Baritone Sax

-The reverb I'm using is actually a sample I made of the Gold Star Studios echo chamber which is a crucial element to the overall sound. There is also room reverb in there to add to the 'live' sound.
-I played the Basses, Guitars, tambourine the Trumpet part however Most of the Instruments I used are actually Virtual Instruments I played in with my Midi keyboard (I can't really afford to own all of them).
-To get the distinctive 'Harp' like guitar sound in the introduction I detuned my electric 12 string a tone down to get a more slacker sound to the strings and played the line high up on the neck. The 2nd 12 string part is playing a melody borrowed from 'It's raining it's pouring the old man is snoring'
-From the bridge through to the end I played a guitar in place of the 3rd bass part an octave higher
-For the 3rd guitar part (chord strumming one which can be heard clearly in the 2nd bridge) I acoustically mic'd up my hollow body jazz guitar instead of plugging it in to get the high end strumming sound
-The 2 pianos play roughly the same part until the 1st bridge where they play some really cool polyrhythms which connect up with the guitars.

Anyway I really hope you like it! Smiley

I'm Joel, You might also know me as the guy on Youtube who re-recreated Pet Sounds and Smile Smiley
I'd love you to Have a listen to my stuff on YouTube!
http://www.youtube.com/user/JoelKosterMusic
And chuck me a Facebook like! Smiley
https://www.facebook.com/JoelKosterMusic
mikeddonn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2014, 03:19:02 AM »

Fantastic Joel!  I was listening through my iPad but it sounds great.  There was a big discussion about the intro here a while back and how Brian achieved the sound.  I think you've nailed it, with the right reverb too.  Cheesy
ThyRavenAscend
Smiley Smile Associate

It is nice.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2014, 05:58:15 AM »

Love this--sounds so good!  Thanks for sharing, man! Smiley

1 Corinthians 1:18-31
debonbon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2014, 06:39:44 AM »

Sounds great! Totally nailed the sound on the intro.  Any chance we can get the Gold Star sample to use ourselves?

A healthy...low fat or non-fat...healthy......blizzard.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2014, 10:09:06 AM »

Fantastic Joel, very impressive. Loved the intro and the accordions. Smiley

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Wylson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2014, 02:35:55 PM »

I'm blown away! Amazing job.
Foster's Freeze
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2014, 02:44:37 PM »

Very nice.

Mike's not a Hawthorne boy. The Hawthorne guys stuck together. The Wilsons and I always had a special bond. We felt like we were a team.
SMiLE-addict
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2014, 03:47:06 PM »

Great job! Found myself singing some of the harmonies as it was playing.
Vega-Table Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2014, 05:17:08 PM »

Very impressive! Nice job.
Jason
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2014, 08:17:15 PM »

You know...at times listening to this I thought this was a LEGITIMATE Brian mix. Kudos. Seriously. You could play this at a convention and some might be none the wiser. That's how good it is.
The Dumb Angel
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2014, 08:20:43 PM »

Oh wow! This is fantastic Joel!

Thanks for sharing!  Smiley
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2014, 09:04:30 PM »

Solid effort, the love you have for the original tracks come through on your sound-alike recording. Thank you for sharing something so personal, good stuff.

I have a sensitive question here, because I know my own preference when sharing tracks...but are you open to some comments and maybe some constructive criticisms as well on the "public" part of this board, or would off-board be better? I just heard a few things, minor musician-type things that I wanted to mention because that kind of dialogue has helped me with my own stuff in the past. But I don't want to wet-blanket it either...I know what this stuff means to musicians.

Let me know, because I share a love for this track that goes beyond 99% of normal, and know it intimately.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2014, 04:04:21 AM »

This is freakin' amazing - thanks for putting the effort into it!

Thanks especially for solving (as far as I'm concerned) the mystery of the guitar intro...someone had once suggested slack-key tuning (which, according to its definition, is where the guitar is tuned to sound a specific chord when played unfretted, such as is used in Hawaiian style playing), but I think this is what they actually meant! Simply detuing a whole tone - to, as you put it, get a "slacker" sound quality from the strings when fretting them to produce the desired notes. Right on!
« Last Edit: April 19, 2014, 07:11:31 AM by c-man » Logged
RONDEMON
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2014, 06:29:50 AM »

Wow! This sounds great. Are you using the TL Space United Western Reverb?
markcharles75
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2014, 06:59:42 AM »

Superb job Joel! Outstanding...the intro is spot on. I really like your original Lonely Holiday also! Very trippy... Cool Guy

"Watch the balloon you buy just to let fly away..."
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2014, 07:13:24 AM »

Thanks especially for solving (as far as I'm concerned) the mystery of the guitar intro...someone had once suggested slack-key tuning (which, according to its definition, is where the guitar is tuned to play a specific chord when played unfretted, such as is used in Hawaiian style playing), but I think this is what they actually meant!

I agree, the intro is terrifically well done on Joel's version. But there's one note missing, and "H" and I will agree to disagree forever on that note... Grin

I think the "slack key" label was a mistake too for the reasons you've mentioned. That's a term specifically from Hawaiian music, in fact there is a whole sub-genre in Hawaiian-style music where the style is labeled "slack key guitar". It's just another term for open tunings as everyone from Robert Johnson to Keith Richards used.  WIBN isn't that.  Smiley

My take as a guitarist: Many, many (but not all) players of the 12-string acoustic guitar would tune their strings down a whole step, D-to-D, to have less tension on the neck and bridge and prevent warping and cracking and all of that. They'd keep it dropped that whole step and to play standard they'd capo at the 2nd fret. Old-school trade secret that works! On acoustic 12-strings, playing above the tenth fret is rarely done anyway and the real sound of that guitar is in the open and lower positions for the most part.

Now electric 12's like the Rickenbacker were designed to eliminate the need for that with dual truss rods and other reinforcements. BUT - some of the old-schoolers like the guys playing WIBN for Brian may have still kept their 12-strings detuned as they would acoustic 12's for the same reasons. There's no way to confirm that, but if these guitarists detuned their acoustics as standard practice it would stand to reason they'd do it with electrics too out of habit or whatever.

I wanted to add that to head off any suggestion that Brian specifically requested it or it was done especially for this session, when in fact dropping the strings like that was standard practice for many 12-string guitarists before that.

Again kudos to Joel for getting the tuning thing accurate on his version.  Smiley

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
halblaineisgood
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2014, 07:28:22 AM »

« Last Edit: December 30, 2014, 09:51:08 PM by halblaineisgood » Logged
Rich Panteluk
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2014, 09:52:20 AM »

Damn Great!

I hope you feel very proud of your work here.  You should.  Brilliant.  Just so it doesn't appear that I am kissing butt too much, the horns are too loud in the mix!  ;-)
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2014, 11:40:07 AM »

Yeah, that's pretty good, man.  Serious. 

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2014, 11:29:26 PM »

An exceptional recreation, especially the intro and reverb!
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2014, 01:47:32 AM »

Pretty incredible… sounds akin to a remixed session track from '66.

“We live in divisive times.”
Grayhands
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2014, 06:37:53 AM »

Sounds awesome! Are you going to try and put the original vocals over top? or just keep it instrumental?
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2014, 07:17:43 AM »

No, he says he sampled Gold Star's chamber echo...which would mean he went there prior to its demolision in '84 and used an old school first-gen digital sampler, or maybe a tape recorder, to capture some actual frequencies bouncing against the concrete walls there...? Or does he mean he used one of the custom digital plug-ins available in this day & age?

Either way, that would be authentic, considering Brian's track was cut at Gold Star and not United Western. Smiley
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2014, 07:44:31 AM »

No, he says he sampled Gold Star's chamber echo...which would mean he went there prior to its demolision in '84 and used an old school first-gen digital sampler, or maybe a tape recorder, to capture some actual frequencies bouncing against the concrete walls there...? Or does he mean he used one of the custom digital plug-ins available in this day & age?

Either way, that would be authentic, considering Brian's track was cut at Gold Star and not United Western. Smiley

I'm not speaking for what Joel did but just in general: I'm guessing it was a convolution reverb sample. What some have done to get Gold Star's chamber sampled was to take a session from Gold Star where Brian clicks on the talkback mic, and that click sound acts as the exciter or trigger which hit the chamber and bounced around back in '66 to get the echo/room effect. It's a creative and easier way than using a starter pistol or some other trigger to excite the room, especially if the room has been gone for 30 years!

Again, that's not saying Joel did this but if anyone else wants that Gold Star echo sample to load into their convolution reverb software, that's one method which worked. And of course programs come bundled with a selection of famous rooms these days as mentioned.

monicker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 19, 2014, 10:38:09 AM »

So how does one actually use these reverbs (which Joel uploaded an entire folder of in another thread) in their DAW? I have the wav files (from the aforementioned other thread) but, uh, what do you do with them?

Don't be eccentric, this is a BEACH BOYS forum, for God's sake!
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx