gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 09:20:05 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: CEREMONY Cover: Rab2591/Woodstock Collab  (Read 1643 times)
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: April 14, 2014, 10:39:41 AM »

We recorded this because it's a great song and suits both of our styles well. Please listen and enjoy it, as we put a lot of care into it.

Great lyrics too, listen to the lyrics.

https://soundcloud.com/robert-borszich/ceremony-new-order-cover

Woodstock: Electric Guitar
Rab2591: Vocals, synths, acoustic guitar, drums (and everything else you hear)

Empire Of Love
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2014, 05:29:51 PM »

Great job guys, and great song choice.  You have to let us know who did what.  It sounds like Rab on the second verse, is it Woodstock on the first?  Regardless, great to hear a cover song from this band/era.

rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2014, 06:43:11 PM »

Thanks man! Glad you like it.

I did all the vocals (the first verse sounds nothing much like me, I was trying to emulate the actual song).

Doing this cover was Woodstock's idea - he introduced me to New Order and I'm blown away by them.

Thanks again for listening  Smiley

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Empire Of Love
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2014, 09:38:22 PM »

I though the first verse sounded more like the original and not very Rab-ish.

New Order is one of many bands to which I should have given more time.  I like a few of their songs but never really ventured beyond the college radio hits.  A few friends are pretty big fans, I'll have to check them out soon.  Any recommendations?

Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2014, 04:12:23 AM »

Thanks for the kind words! Looking forward to any new songs you put out as well  Smiley

Here's a message I sent summing up Joy Division/New Order:

"Ceremony is a bit of an oddball - it was the last song Joy Division singer Ian Curtis wrote before he took his life, and the vocals are done by the guitar player, who became the lead singer when Joy Division changed their name to 'New Order' and kept going. It's right in between the two stories. Joy Division has only two albums, Unknown Pleasures and Closer. Start with UP, it is much more accessible, though artistically Closer is probably better. It's a much darker album than UP, but not for the sake of being dark. It just feels like they went to make an album and it was just the result of their writing, and feels very natural as a result of that. Neither Joy Divison nor New Order put singles on their albums, to keep the integrity of the album as a piece of work meant to be listened to in one sitting; not an accessory to a hit.

Here are their most recognizable songs, 4 years apart from each other.
Joy Division: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zuuObGsB0No  (This came out after he died as well)

New Order: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FYH8DsU2WCk

I love them both a lot, though I haven't listened to a New Order album yet.

My recommendation is to buy Unknown Pleasures and see if you like it. It is definitely an acquired taste. It doesn't really sound like any other album, and needs to be listened to in one go to really enjoy. Their producer was a maniac obsessed with sound, and bit like Desper but more OCD. For the song "She's Lost Control" he took apart the drum kit and recorded every single drum on its own to get the perfect sound out of each. Listen to it and you'll hear why. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7PtvIr2oiaE

That song sums up the album pretty well. Primal driving drum beat, unique bass riff, sparse, deliberate, effective, precise guitar, and Ian Curtis' low singing."

I didn't mention this, but the two best New Order albums are considered to be their first two; 'Movement' and 'Power, Corruption and Lies' though I hear most of their albums are pretty good.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2014, 04:14:45 AM by Woodstock » Logged

gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx