gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 10:56:54 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: My Brian Wilson Imagination review  (Read 3406 times)
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« on: April 14, 2014, 07:49:41 AM »

Brian Wilson Imagination

In 1991, Brian Wilson was finally set free from his abusive psychologist Eugene Landy. However, much damage had already been done due to improper medication given, some of which was to control Brian. In 1995, Brian married Melinda Ledbetter, a car salesman Brian met in the Landy years. She has brought emotional stability to Brian's life and found proper medication for him. But in 97 and 98, Brian lost his mother Audrea and brother Carl. Through that he wrote a sad and beautiful song, Lay Down Burden and with the support of his wife, a sensitive Brian was able to finish his first original studio album in 10 years. Several well written songs, but it suffers from poor production in my opinion. It seems that much of the Brian magic is missing from this album. It has its moments, such as the tag to Sunshine. Cry is a great song, but it doesn't sound like a Brian idea to me. Though, I am not certain how much of this album was Brian's idea, and how much was producer/collaborater Joe Thomas' idea. There are several songs that came out of the 60s (Let Him Run Wild, Keep an Eye on Summer and She Says that She Needs me, formally Sherry She Needs Me), and one from the 70s (Happy Days, formally a much superior My Solution). Although, this is not a great album, it is the beginning of one of Brian's most healthy and active years of his career. He would soon begin touring consistantly longer than any other time in his life!

IMAGINATION (released 6/98)

1. Your Imaginations (B. Wilson/J.Thomas/S.Dahl)                        5
2. She Says That She Needs Me (B.Wilson/R.Titelman/C.Sager)    7
3. South America (B.Wilson/J.Thomas)                                        2
4. Where Has Love Been (B.Wilson/A.Paley/JD.Souther)                4
5. Keep an Eye On Summer (B.Wilson/B.Norman)                         6
6. Dream Angel (B.Wilson/J.Thomas/J.Peterik)                             3
7. Cry (B.Wilson)                                                                       8
8. Lay Down Burden (B.Wilson/J.Thomas)                                    7
9. Let Him Run Wild (B.Wilson/M.Love)                                        4
10. Sunshine (B.Wilson/J.Thomas)                                              7
11. Happy Days (B.Wilson)                                                         7

album average                                                                         5.5
« Last Edit: April 14, 2014, 07:53:03 AM by Magic Transistor Radio » Logged

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2014, 07:58:57 AM »

These are the good tracks, but they're marred by plastic production. It says something that three of the better tracks are oldies and one features some seriously recycled riffs. I do like Cry, however.

Your Imagination
She Says That She Needs Me
Keep an Eye On Summer
Cry
Lay Down Burden
Let Him Run Wild
Happy Days 

A hugely disappointing follow-up to BW88 (which remains my second favourite BB solo album)
bringahorseinhere?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2014, 08:06:09 AM »

It may be very 'digital' and all........ but Brian's vocals are out of the ball park here....

sounding better than ever, love those falsetto's.... especially 'your imagination' accapella

RickB
Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2014, 08:18:59 AM »

The best Brian Wilson solo album, and the best "Beach Boys" album of this "Great Void" of an era (which isn't saying much, I know.)  But it's a very good album and I'm sorry that so many miss it.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2014, 08:20:08 AM by Bean Bag » Logged

Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2014, 11:18:54 AM »

It may be very 'digital' and all........ but Brian's vocals are out of the ball park here....

sounding better than ever, love those falsetto's.... especially 'your imagination' accapella

RickB

When it first came out, I wasn't too fond of his voice on this. But over time I have come to appreciate it for what it is now. Though, I think it has greatly improved since then. TLOS and RIG are at his best in his solo era imo.

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Steve Latshaw
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2014, 12:27:13 PM »

Personally, I love this album... Dream Angel and South American are highlights for me... South American, for me, is the most spectacular track on the album.

I never understood the bizarre fan obsession with Happy Days.  I think it's the weakest track on the album, dirge-like.  It's root track, My Solution, is far more interesting...
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2014, 12:35:24 PM »

Personally, I love this album... Dream Angel and South American are highlights for me... South American, for me, is the most spectacular track on the album.

I never understood the bizarre fan obsession with Happy Days.  I think it's the weakest track on the album, dirge-like.  It's root track, My Solution, is far more interesting...

I liked South America early on, but now it annoys me. Doesn't mean my opinion is better than yours :-)

I didn't hear My Solution till years later and I agree it is far superior. When I first heard Happy Days, I thought it was interesting. Now I think it's a mix of interesting and corny :-)
« Last Edit: April 14, 2014, 12:36:33 PM by Magic Transistor Radio » Logged

Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2014, 12:37:22 PM »

My favorite moment is the tag of Sunshine

Nicko1234
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2014, 05:00:23 PM »

Written entirely by Joe Thomas I believe?
Jim Rockford
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2014, 05:20:30 PM »

I like the album. Not a masterpiece, but it has its moments. Lay Down Burden is great.
Nicko1234
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2014, 05:26:53 PM »

This was actually the first new album that I bought after becoming a fan and I still have a fondness for it.

The vocals do sound great and Brian sounds like a professional vocalist on this album (give me these vocals over his efforts on GIOMH or Speed Turtle anyday!!!).

Your Imagination, South American and Lay Down Burden are the strongest songs imo with Cry also quite nice (but too long).

I actually heard this version of Let Him Run Wild before I heard The Beach Boys version and perhaps for that reason dislike it a lot less than most people seem to.
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2014, 06:16:47 PM »

She Says that She Needs Me and Keep an Eye on Summer actually are done well. The other two, not even close. :-)

Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2014, 08:39:50 PM »

Let Him Run Wild (Beach Boys) might be my all time favorite Beach Boys (or anybody's) tune.  But, I still like the Imagination version.  It was a let down at first, but I realized quickly that wasn't the point.

I hear Brian not even trying to top the original, which is the correct stance.  He's taking it easy -- as I'm sure he too knows he can't top it.  He isn't stupid enough to try.  That's not the point.  It's just a breezy take.  And as in concert, you'd be like "YES!!  Play it!!!  YEEEESSSS!!"

At least I would.  No need to compare.

Nicko1234
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2014, 10:16:00 PM »

She Says That She Needs Me has always left me cold on this album. Maybe because of its track positioning on the album or maybe because it was clearly not relevant to Brian`s life at the time or maybe because of the airy production.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2014, 11:13:01 PM »

Let Him Run Wild (Beach Boys) might be my all time favorite Beach Boys (or anybody's) tune.  But, I still like the Imagination version.  It was a let down at first, but I realized quickly that wasn't the point.

I hear Brian not even trying to top the original, which is the correct stance.  He's taking it easy -- as I'm sure he too knows he can't top it.  He isn't stupid enough to try.  That's not the point.  It's just a breezy take.  And as in concert, you'd be like "YES!!  Play it!!!  YEEEESSSS!!"

At least I would.  No need to compare.
It would have fit in nicely on IJWMFTT.
Billf
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2014, 11:52:14 PM »

It's great in 5.1.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2014, 07:50:38 AM »

Which is indeed entirely a Joe Thomas construct. Lotta folk felt very, very silly when this became know (your honest scribe included), having previously lauded it to the skies as a slice of pure Brian.. Smiley

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2014, 03:58:55 PM »

Which is indeed entirely a Joe Thomas construct. Lotta folk felt very, very silly when this became know (your honest scribe included), having previously lauded it to the skies as a slice of pure Brian.. Smiley

Yes, and people question how one can be skeptical about Brian Wilson "solo" songs. Same with some of the songs or parts of the songs on That's Why God Made The Radio. It's only natural to question "I wonder if Brian wrote that part" because there is precedent.
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2014, 05:35:06 PM »

Interesting. Well, maybe Joe Thomas can do something right. Smiley
It does capture a Brian Wilson type feeling though. Which is more than I can say for most of the album. Cry is excellent, but doesn't sound very Brian to me. Now you will probably reveal that Brian had most to do with that song than any other Smiley

metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2014, 05:49:47 PM »

Interesting. Well, maybe Joe Thomas can do something right. Smiley
It does capture a Brian Wilson type feeling though. Which is more than I can say for most of the album. Cry is excellent, but doesn't sound very Brian to me. Now you will probably reveal that Brian had most to do with that song than any other Smiley

Considering that Brian wrote Cry in response to Melinda's reaction to an argument between he and her, that may well be true.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2014, 10:06:28 PM by metal flake paint » Logged

"Quit screaming and start singing from your hearts, huh?" Murry Wilson, March 1965.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx