gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680599 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 02:12:59 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: New comp: Before the Beach Boys  (Read 5213 times)
GoogaMooga
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: April 14, 2014, 06:33:26 AM »

I haven't been able to find a track list for this one, but it's due out from Famous Flames:

from http://fingertipsrecords.com/products/before-the-beach-boys-50-songs-that-inspired-and-iinvented-surf-music-california-soul-and-sunshine-pop

A comprehensive collection that maps the fusion of rock ‘n’ roll rhythm and close harmony vocals that would create the unique Beach Boys’ sound. Featuring a wealth of material that not only inspired the writing of Brian Wilson but songs that The Beach Boys would cover over their formative albums.

Bringing together the seminal rumble of Chuck Berry’s rock ‘n’ roll groove and the sweet tones of The Four Freshmen and The Hi-Lo’s alongside classic doo wop 45s and the seminal phrasings that would create the ultimate surf instrumentals. Plus the inspirational sounds of George Gershwin that first excited a pre teen Wilson and would become the subject of his 2011 sessions that re-imagined the composer’s writing

Including the original versions of a host of rock ‘n’ roll gems that underpinned The Beach Boys’ early sound and became the backbone of their ’15 Big Ones’ album. Remastered from the original sound sources by the music-loving purists at Famous Flames.

NOt really sure how this comp will flow, with such disparate influences and sounds.
Christian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2014, 07:31:56 AM »

you can find the track list here:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Before-Beach-Boys-Inspired-California/dp/B00IJJO0ZU/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1397485825&sr=8-4&keywords=before+the+beach+boys
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2014, 07:51:40 AM »

What? No Stephen Foster?

Unacceptable, therefore.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2014, 11:22:15 AM »

Don't recall them covering anything by Paul Anka...  Roll Eyes

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
GoogaMooga
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2014, 11:35:38 AM »

Don't recall them covering anything by Paul Anka...  Roll Eyes

You don't think it at least inspired Don't Talk (Put Your Head on my Shoulder?
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2014, 06:13:05 PM »

I had never heard that version of Misirlou. Is that the original?

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2014, 06:28:12 PM »

I had never heard that version of Misirlou. Is that the original?

The original surf version is by Dick Dale.
The song itself is actually a Greecian folk song.
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2014, 12:23:07 AM »

Don't recall them covering anything by Paul Anka...  Roll Eyes

There are several songs on there that The Beach Boys never covered. And it's a hit song from Brian's musically formative years that's pretty close to the type of ballads that he would eventually start writing himself (in fact, a cover of this song would've fitted perfectly on side B of Today!). So it's not that illogical that it's on this compilation.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2014, 12:24:06 AM by shelter » Logged
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2014, 02:13:55 AM »

My point being, it's slap in the middle of all the songs they did cover. Compilers have evidently not heard Brian's song but just assumed from the very similar title that it was a cover. Bad show.

Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2014, 07:12:21 AM »

My point being, it's slap in the middle of all the songs they did cover. Compilers have evidently not heard Brian's song but just assumed from the very similar title that it was a cover. Bad show.
To give the compilers the benefit of the doubt I'd side with shelter on this one.. I mean, there are numerous compilations out there that were compiled similarly. For the time being let's assume that more thought & care went into this one than just assuming a similar title means it's the original recording. Tongue
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2014, 07:25:33 AM »

To give the compilers the benefit of the doubt I'd side with shelter on this one.. I mean, there are numerous compilations out there that were compiled similarly. For the time being let's assume that more thought & care went into this one than just assuming a similar title means it's the original recording. Tongue

And we're giving them the benefit why? When you play the song it's simply the original recording( not covered by the BBs), smack dab in the middle of many other originals that the BBs DID cover. So I don't see any latitude here, only a bogus insert

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2014, 07:30:37 AM »

And we're giving them the benefit why? When you play the song it's simply the original recording( not covered by the BBs), smack dab in the middle of many other originals that the BBs DID cover. So I don't see any latitude here, only a bogus insert
I don't get it. There are lots of other tunes on this compilation which the BBs didn't cover either. It seems to be a deliberate part of the compilation concept - to mix stuff they did cover directly and stuff that might have influenced them. Like I said, it's like that on many "roots of..."-compilations.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2014, 07:58:36 AM »

Uh... really ?

Tracks 1-15 - influences

Tracks 16-50 (excluding 30 &. 38) - covers, granted one unreleased. Yes, I know about track 18.  Grin

Nicko1234
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2014, 08:01:14 AM »

Uh... really ?

Tracks 1-15 - influences

Tracks 16-50 (excluding 30 &. 38) - covers, granted one unreleased. Yes, I know about track 18.  Grin

So what`s the explanation for number 30?
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2014, 08:16:19 AM »

Andrew, am I making this up or is there some interview in which Brian enthuses about the incidental music in Laurel and Hardy's Hal Roach films?
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2014, 08:25:20 AM »

Uh... really ?

Tracks 1-15 - influences

So what`s the explanation for number 30?

Not a clue.  Grin

shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2014, 10:05:42 AM »

And we're giving them the benefit why?

Well, apparently the compilers did know that:
- Rhapsody In Blue and Ivory Tower were early favorites of Brian
- Surfer Girl was inspired by When You Wish Upon A Star
- The Beach Boys had a song based on Riot In Cell Block #9
- Even though it was never released, The Beach Boys recorded a cover of Deep Purple

Of course you don't have to be a hardcore Beach Boys fan to know these things, but I think it's reasonable to give them the benefit of the doubt.
Les P
Smiley Smile Associate

Cheese Pizza and Apple Pie

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2014, 10:13:29 AM »

Andrew, am I making this up or is there some interview in which Brian enthuses about the incidental music in Laurel and Hardy's Hal Roach films?

I don't know if this is what you are thinking of, but this is the Brian Wilson quote on "The Beau Hunks Play the Original Little Rascals Music" (which is mostly the same Leroy Shield themes as used in the L&H shorts):

"I loved it.  It was most nostalgic and it triggered off a very beautiful sentimental chord in my soul."
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2014, 10:19:11 AM »

- Even though it was never released, The Beach Boys recorded a cover of Deep Purple

Of course you don't have to be a hardcore Beach Boys fan to know these things, but I think it's reasonable to give them the benefit of the doubt.
Thank you. Smiley

P.S.
Although it was purported for a long time that "Surfer Girl" was in part inspired by "When You Wish...", Brian apparently denied it in a recent Q&A on his Facebook page:

Q: Surfer Girl is a great song, what do you like about that one?
A: I was in my car listening to the radio and drove home and that song inspired me. But no, it wasn't When You Wish Upon A Star.

Of course that doesn't mean it wasn't inspired by "When You Wish...". It's just the latest first-hand statement on the case, by Brian "Always Truthful And Straight in Interviews" Wilson. Azn
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2014, 10:33:49 AM »

Thank you. Smiley

The compilers know a few basics on the Beach Boys, so they should be allowed to further muddy the waters of Beach Boys history with songs that most likely have NOTHING at all to do with their creative output? 
 I think not.   They screwed up.
Maybe they got their GOOD info from this board, will see all this  and re-work it before release. 

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2014, 12:49:34 AM »

I don't know if this is what you are thinking of, but this is the Brian Wilson quote on "The Beau Hunks Play the Original Little Rascals Music" (which is mostly the same Leroy Shield themes as used in the L&H shorts):

"I loved it.  It was most nostalgic and it triggered off a very beautiful sentimental chord in my soul."

Maybe that was it. Thanks.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2014, 09:21:46 AM »

They also recorded the song during the Party! sessions.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2014, 09:15:02 AM »

They also recorded the song during the Party! sessions.
.. and played it live in concert. Smiley
Heysaboda
Smiley Smile Associate

Son, don't wait till the break of day....

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2014, 01:59:34 PM »

No Surf Mozart??

Son, don't wait till the break of day 'cause you know how time fades away......
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 03, 2014, 03:20:12 AM »

It might explain the use of the name Laughing Gravy... 

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx