gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680740 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 18, 2024, 09:30:35 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: striped shirts still in 65'  (Read 6106 times)
metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 14, 2014, 06:21:27 PM »

The Beach Boys occasionally wore a thinner striped shirt in early '64 but the classic Kingston Trio type striped shirts  as seen on the cover of the Beach Boys Concert LP didn't appear until  summer '64, and they wore both blue and red variations of the striped shirt including a wider striped version, until fall '67 when they switched to the white suits.

They also had a yellow striped shirt, there's a small picture in the Greatest Single Ever edition of Mojo (1997?) - looks like they were on a TV show.

That picture in Mojo shows them wearing just plain yellow shirts, without stripes.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BEACH-BOYS-BRIAN-WILSON-LOT-OF-74-ORIG-UNPUBLISHED-1964-COLOR-SLIDES-KODACHROME-/380872246506?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item58adc144ea&nma=true&si=xLNm%252FC%252F84QrXhwLWUm7GiwWIsyI%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

"Quit screaming and start singing from your hearts, huh?" Murry Wilson, March 1965.
metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 14, 2014, 06:24:47 PM »

Page 62 of John Milward's Silver Anniversary book shows the group wearing pink striped shirts, another variant perhaps?

"Quit screaming and start singing from your hearts, huh?" Murry Wilson, March 1965.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 14, 2014, 09:02:30 PM »

Page 62 of John Milward's Silver Anniversary book shows the group wearing pink striped shirts, another variant perhaps?

That's the picture I was thinking of. Red/pink stripes.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 14, 2014, 09:04:54 PM »

The Beach Boys occasionally wore a thinner striped shirt in early '64 but the classic Kingston Trio type striped shirts  as seen on the cover of the Beach Boys Concert LP didn't appear until  summer '64, and they wore both blue and red variations of the striped shirt including a wider striped version, until fall '67 when they switched to the white suits.

They also had a yellow striped shirt, there's a small picture in the Greatest Single Ever edition of Mojo (1997?) - looks like they were on a TV show.

That picture in Mojo shows them wearing just plain yellow shirts, without stripes.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BEACH-BOYS-BRIAN-WILSON-LOT-OF-74-ORIG-UNPUBLISHED-1964-COLOR-SLIDES-KODACHROME-/380872246506?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item58adc144ea&nma=true&si=xLNm%252FC%252F84QrXhwLWUm7GiwWIsyI%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557
Oh yeah...there's tons of evidence of them wearing solid white and solid yellow shirts in the '62 to '65 period. Contrary to what most believe, they mixed up their apparel choices throughout their "uniform" days.
Zander
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: April 14, 2014, 10:42:40 PM »

The Beach Boys occasionally wore a thinner striped shirt in early '64 but the classic Kingston Trio type striped shirts  as seen on the cover of the Beach Boys Concert LP didn't appear until  summer '64, and they wore both blue and red variations of the striped shirt including a wider striped version, until fall '67 when they switched to the white suits.

I wasn't far off then! I haven't seen that picture in years but I knew it featured yellow which I haven't seen anywhere else? Do we know what show that was from?
« Last Edit: April 14, 2014, 10:43:31 PM by Zander » Logged

They say I got brains but they ain't doing me no good, I wish they could...
metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 14, 2014, 11:42:09 PM »

I wasn't far off then! I haven't seen that picture in years but I knew it featured yellow which I haven't seen anywhere else? Do we know what show that was from?

Nope, but the photographer Julian Wasser might.

Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 15, 2014, 07:38:36 AM »

Do any of you have the Beach Boys In Concert book? Because in it there are plenty of photos of the boys in all stages of concert gear, pendelton, solid white, solid yellow, yellow sweatshirts, thin striped, medium striped, wide striped, blue striped, red striped, white suits and on and on with dates and venues etc... It's not a mystery.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2014, 07:50:04 AM by Jon Stebbins » Logged
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 15, 2014, 07:42:48 AM »

Do any of you have the Beach Boys In Concert book? Because in it there are plenty of photos of the boys in all stages of concert gear, pendelton, solid white, solid yellow, yellow sweatshirts, thin striped, medium striped, wide striped, blue striped, red striped, white suits and on and on with dates an venues etc... It's not a mystery.
I was just about to mention that. Smiley

(Their brilliant book is not only worthwhile to people interested in the band's stage outfits, though.^^)
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 15, 2014, 08:45:07 AM »

Nope, but the photographer Julian Wasser might.

Can you give me his email/phone so I can contact him, please?

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: April 15, 2014, 09:03:23 AM »

How about Carl pre-gaming the show with his KISN "Good Guys" radio station shirt (and prototype Fender Electric XII) ?

Grin

Just my two cents: The BB's stage look may have been about 2 years late, meaning had they changed to the tailored yet casual suit look sometime in '65 they may have been more in tune with their peers in the rock band business. Yet, take a look at the 1965 Jack Benny/Bob Hope television appearance, and it's a pretty casual thing happening there.

And those photo slides on Ebay...take note that Brian is wearing that same windbreaker type of jacket as he's wearing in the famous Pet Sounds studio session photos...can anyone ID what brand or design of jacket that is? It has a firebird logo on the pockets if that helps.  Smiley

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 15, 2014, 09:24:44 AM »

How about Carl pre-gaming the show with his KISN "Good Guys" radio station shirt (and prototype Fender Electric XII) ?

The photo above is from the 1/27/65 show in Portland. That photo and two more of the concert performance are in the Beach Boys In Concert book showing the whole band (including Brian subbing for Glen Campbell) wearing the yellow KISN garb during their set that night.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 15, 2014, 03:03:58 PM »

Do any of you have the Beach Boys In Concert book? Because in it there are plenty of photos of the boys in all stages of concert gear, pendelton, solid white, solid yellow, yellow sweatshirts, thin striped, medium striped, wide striped, blue striped, red striped, white suits and on and on with dates and venues etc... It's not a mystery.
I have the book, been reading it for a couple weeks now, am up to 1973, and so far, this is the best BB's book I've read in years....or ever. Striped shirts in 65? IMHO, not a problem. Look at what other bands were wearing; the Beach Boys did not stand out like a sore thumb. Striped shirts in 67? That's another story Shocked
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx