gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680751 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 06:35:07 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: striped shirts still in 65'  (Read 6108 times)
bringahorseinhere?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: April 13, 2014, 09:16:25 PM »

i love the footage of the guys on the Andy Williams show.......

but also thought that is what strange the guys were still in 'uniform' striped shirts, after they had fired Murry by this time...

it's cool in a way, cos it's like the last of the original 'surf' group members in their 'costume'..... and the guys playin their own instruments...

and also one of the last of Brian Wilson appearances on film before he started to 'dissapear'...

and in 'colour'! to boot....

is there a specific date we know of when the striped shirts disappeared?...... any footage or pics of the transition???

RickB
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2014, 10:02:50 PM »

The Beach Boys occasionally wore a thinner striped shirt in early '64 but the classic Kingston Trio type striped shirts  as seen on the cover of the Beach Boys Concert LP didn't appear until  summer '64, and they wore both blue and red variations of the striped shirt including a wider striped version, until fall '67 when they switched to the white suits.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2014, 10:04:51 PM »

The stripped shirts were gone in the Fall of 1967 - probably November/December 1967 when they were touring the East Coast.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2014, 10:09:34 PM »

Jon and I are on the same wavelength! Evidence that they were no longer wearing the stripped shirts was a statement made by Bruce during one of the concerts in November/December of '67. He said, "Our striped shirts were arrested", or something like that.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
bringahorseinhere?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2014, 10:20:20 PM »

yeah like the 'surfin doris day's'......

but there must have been a date/transition point.... no?....

RickB
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2014, 05:31:49 AM »

The stripped shirts were gone in the Fall of 1967 - probably November/December 1967 when they were touring the East Coast.

Jon and I are on the same wavelength! Evidence that they were no longer wearing the stripped shirts was a statement made by Bruce during one of the concerts in November/December of '67. He said, "Our striped shirts were arrested", or something like that.

Uh-Oh, time to bring out the spelling police; not just alot of the time, but every time you try to spell STRIPED, you take their shirts off>> stripped<<
Maybe better send you back to school, so you can join Jon's wavelength

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2014, 05:43:20 AM »

Uh-Oh, time to bring out the spelling police; not just alot of the time, but every time you try to spell STRIPED, you take their shirts off>> stripped<<
Maybe Mikie was elaborating on something else entirely? I missed that part of the BBs story, though.. Undecided

GoogaMooga
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2014, 06:08:05 AM »

Good to know that fans here appreciate the striped shirts, outside of fandom among the rock cognoscenti they are mocked for being a candy-striped barbershop group. I love those old uniforms, even the lapel-less jackets worn by the early Beatles.
Cyncie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2014, 07:46:32 AM »

I guess this is another thing that doesn't make sense to me. Why pull the Beach Boys out for criticism for their clean cut, coordinated outfits when that was the standard of the time?   Buddy Holly and Chuck Berry wore suits. The girl groups wore matching crinoline dresses and bouffant hair. The Beatles had that Edwardian thing going on. The clean cut look kept parents from banning the music. It wasn't until later that the grungy, edgy rock and roll image took over. But in the late fifties, early sixties, clean was the way everyone had to dress if they wanted to get on TV. Dick Clark had very strict dress codes, not only for the acts, but for the kids. All of it was designed to keep parents from rejecting "rock and roll" out of hand. Now, maybe the ghost of Murry kept the boys in those striped shirts past their usefulness, but in the early days, they had to look like the clean cut boys next door to get on the air.
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2014, 08:16:37 AM »

I guess this is another thing that doesn't make sense to me. Why pull the Beach Boys out for criticism for their clean cut, coordinated outfits when that was the standard of the time?   Buddy Holly and Chuck Berry wore suits. The girl groups wore matching crinoline dresses and bouffant hair. The Beatles had that Edwardian thing going on. The clean cut look kept parents from banning the music. It wasn't until later that the grungy, edgy rock and roll image took over. But in the late fifties, early sixties, clean was the way everyone had to dress if they wanted to get on TV. Dick Clark had very strict dress codes, not only for the acts, but for the kids. All of it was designed to keep parents from rejecting "rock and roll" out of hand. Now, maybe the ghost of Murry kept the boys in those striped shirts past their usefulness, but in the early days, they had to look like the clean cut boys next door to get on the air.
People who ridicule the boys for their striped shirts don't care about explanatory arguments we're prepared to give. Tongue
« Last Edit: April 14, 2014, 08:23:42 AM by Lowbacca » Logged
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2014, 09:16:57 AM »

See, Bgas, if you had some CD's in your collection, you would have known the answer to Mr. Bartlett's question! But since you don't, you decided to spout off about a word that I didn't spell correctly. By the way, did you learn to spell "A lot" (instead of "alot") yet?

Listen to "A Vocal Element" and you can figure out which date Bruce said "Our striped shirts got arrested". These are dates of the recordings:

Winter tour USA, Nov. 1967

Disc 1 tracks 1-13: Tour opener, Nov. 17, Detroit, MI
Disc 1 tracks 14-25: Nov. 23rd, Back Bay Theatre,Boston, MA
Disc 2 tracks 1-12: Unknown - (probably November 21 concert at Westchester, New York)
Disc 2 tracks 13-26: Nov. 22, Pittsburgh, PA

bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2014, 09:33:57 AM »

See, Bgas, if you had some CD's in your collection, you would have known the answer to Mr. Bartlett's question! But since you don't, you decided to spout off about a word that I didn't spell correctly. By the way, did you learn to spell "A lot" (instead of "alot") yet?

Listen to "A Vocal Element" and you can figure out which date Bruce said "Our striped shirts got arrested". These are dates of the recordings:

Winter tour USA, Nov. 1967

Disc 1 tracks 1-13: Tour opener, Nov. 17, Detroit, MI
Disc 1 tracks 14-25: Nov. 23rd, Back Bay Theatre,Boston, MA
Disc 2 tracks 1-12: Unknown - (probably November 21 concert at Westchester, New York)
Disc 2 tracks 13-26: Nov. 22, Pittsburgh, PA

Mikie Mikie.... I knew you'd come back with that!  You take folks to task frequently for spelling, but you don't like to be called on it yourself, eh?
 as for the shirt question, I don't need CDs, I've got Ian Rusten who answered this a LONG time back on this very board;  it only takes a simple search to find things like this

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2014, 09:39:46 AM »

No, I just call YOU to task on spelling, Bgas, because you're not very good at it.

And instead of being a smart-ass, why didn't you point Rick in the right direction for an answer to his question instead of wasting everyone's time? Remember, he's looking for a date/transition point. Please do a search and find it for him, won't you?
« Last Edit: April 14, 2014, 10:02:17 AM by Mikie » Logged

Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2014, 09:40:33 AM »

As detailed in the book Jon and I wrote, the first tour in white was November 1967. Last striped shirt show was October 8, 1967. I even have a photo from the October tour to prove it
Ram4
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2014, 11:17:03 AM »

I liked the wide stripe shirts look.  I was hoping they'd wear them (at least for maybe the encores) on the 2012 C50 tour.
Jim Rockford
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2014, 11:22:44 AM »

As detailed in the book Jon and I wrote, the first tour in white was November 1967. Last striped shirt show was October 8, 1967. I even have a photo from the October tour to prove it

I'd really love to see that.
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2014, 11:29:22 AM »

I guess this is another thing that doesn't make sense to me. Why pull the Beach Boys out for criticism for their clean cut, coordinated outfits when that was the standard of the time?   Buddy Holly and Chuck Berry wore suits. The girl groups wore matching crinoline dresses and bouffant hair. The Beatles had that Edwardian thing going on. The clean cut look kept parents from banning the music. It wasn't until later that the grungy, edgy rock and roll image took over. But in the late fifties, early sixties, clean was the way everyone had to dress if they wanted to get on TV. Dick Clark had very strict dress codes, not only for the acts, but for the kids. All of it was designed to keep parents from rejecting "rock and roll" out of hand. Now, maybe the ghost of Murry kept the boys in those striped shirts past their usefulness, but in the early days, they had to look like the clean cut boys next door to get on the air.

I don't have a problem with the striped shirts in 64, 65, but imo, they should have changed outfits by 1966. Even matching suits for another year or so. Then sometime in 67 ditch matching uniforms. This would have given them a more in touch appearance.

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
bringahorseinhere?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2014, 01:24:14 PM »

Thankyou Ian for that reply......... I sometimes don't have any luck with the search function hence I ask,
but always appreciate if someone can post the thread where things have previously been discussed...

and I do have your book Ian, so I will dig it out and re-review..... Thanks again.

RickB
Moon Dawg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2014, 03:32:07 PM »

The last striped shirt pics I have seen are about May or June '67 - European tour. (See Keith Badham's book.) I thought the long-sleeved untucked look worked well even if the whole concept was dated by that time.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2014, 03:33:59 PM by Moon Dawg » Logged
Zander
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2014, 03:50:53 PM »

The Beach Boys occasionally wore a thinner striped shirt in early '64 but the classic Kingston Trio type striped shirts  as seen on the cover of the Beach Boys Concert LP didn't appear until  summer '64, and they wore both blue and red variations of the striped shirt including a wider striped version, until fall '67 when they switched to the white suits.

They also had a yellow striped shirt, there's a small picture in the Greatest Single Ever edition of Mojo (1997?) - looks like they were on a TV show.

They say I got brains but they ain't doing me no good, I wish they could...
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2014, 04:01:05 PM »

In retrospect and with 20/20 hindsight Razz, I think after All Summer Long and starting around the time of The Beach Boys Today would've been a good time to make the transition in stage apparel.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2014, 04:18:10 PM »

They also had a yellow striped shirt, there's a small picture in the Greatest Single Ever edition of Mojo (1997?) - looks like they were on a TV show.

I've also seen red ones.

Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2014, 04:22:38 PM »

They should have lost the striped shirts in late '66 instead of waiting another year. Just for the hipness factor alone. Look what all those other major Rock groups were wearing in '67. I keep thinking what Van Dyke Parks said in the '76 NBC special. Even he knew at that point that the group was enduring some heat with the striped shirts and tennis shoes.

Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2014, 04:36:21 PM »

I agree that they waited too long to make the switch.  I think that they weren't image conscious enough perhaps.  In the book I have an excerpt from a interview with a Dutch reporter in May 67 and he sort of grills them on all that.  He asks why they are still wearing striped shirts and Bruce has a fairly lame reply.  Than he asks why they take such little care in their album covers and Carl gets upset and asks if the reporter is "from EMI or something?" But then the reporter diffuses the situation by mentioning how much he liked the Smile LP cover that had appeared in Teenset and Carl calms down and admits that they ought to take more care in the future and that they'd left it to the record company too much.  Interesting stuff.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2014, 05:14:00 PM »

They should have lost the striped shirts in late '66 instead of waiting another year.

Listening to Pet Sounds and envisioning the guys (including Brian) in striped shirts just doesn't mix, for me anyway. And, yes, I'm aware of the back cover... police
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx