gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 08:44:55 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Favorite songs by Carl Wilson  (Read 11038 times)
stack-o-tracks
Smiley Smile Associate

The baker man

View Profile
« on: April 12, 2014, 04:49:05 AM »

Let's talk about our favorite compositions and lead vocals by the late, great Carl Wilson. Some good, positive, happy discussion.  Smiley

Feel Flows, Long Promised Road, and The Trader are probably my top 3, 2 & number one favorites. I'm not a huge fan of a lot of the Rieley era songs but he definitely brought out the best in Carl. Too many good leads to name though, he was by far the best voiced out of the band's career once Brian lost that sweet falsetto. The I Get Around falsetto, not the She's Got Rhythm one. But that's a different thread.   Cool Guy

Ton of great leads on the Wild Honey album. The title track, Darlin', I Was Made To Love Her. There's that one Pet Sounds song, his voice was the only one who could have sung it. Kokomo wouldn't have been Kokomo without his voice singing those parts.

Hows about yourselves? The thread about the recently discovered unheard/unreleased CW songs piqued my interest in his solo albums because I've never really bothered checking them out. What're his greatest solo numbers?

No mas, por favor.
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2014, 04:54:20 AM »

His contributions to

laugh
Ovi
Smiley Smile Associate

They know I'm rock 'n' roll through and through.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2014, 05:13:04 AM »

I love Long Promised Road, Trader, Feel Flows, Angel Come Home, Where I Belong and Heaven, but I also feel his merits as a co-writer are sometimes overlooked. Let's not forget that he's credited on Our Sweet Love, River Song, Dance Dance Dance, Good Timin', I Went To Sleep, Friends, Be Here In The Morning, All This Is That and It's About Time - all of which I think are great.
stack-o-tracks
Smiley Smile Associate

The baker man

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2014, 05:16:16 AM »

Ah, forgot Angel Come Home! Definitely one of my favorites of LA Light Album with a great lead by Dennis.

No mas, por favor.
Nicko1234
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2014, 05:21:51 AM »

I love Long Promised Road, Trader, Feel Flows, Angel Come Home, Where I Belong and Heaven, but I also feel his merits as a co-writer are sometimes overlooked. Let's not forget that he's credited on Our Sweet Love, River Song, Dance Dance Dance, Good Timin', I Went To Sleep, Friends, Be Here In The Morning, All This Is That and It's About Time - all of which I think are great.

Has he always been credited on It`s About Time?
bluesno1fann
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2014, 05:30:26 AM »

His contributions to

laugh

Agreed. His contributions to the 85 album (It would have sucked otherwise) plus Long Promised Road, The Trader, Feel Flows and Angel Come Home.
And those are my favourite Carl songs  Smiley
metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2014, 05:50:13 AM »

Has he always been credited on It`s About Time?

Al certainly credited Carl during Al's Goldmine interview in 2000.

"Quit screaming and start singing from your hearts, huh?" Murry Wilson, March 1965.
Nicko1234
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2014, 05:58:51 AM »

Al certainly credited Carl during Al's Goldmine interview in 2000.

Ah, I now re-read Bob Burchman`s interview where he says that Carl pretty much got a credit for nothing.
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2014, 05:59:15 AM »

I really enjoy Carl's first solo album - hard to xplain why, but to me it has a kind of mellow early summer evening vibe to it.

I have a beat up vinyl copy that I spin from time to time - it doesn't knock my socks off, but just rolls along and grooves a little bit in it's own humble way.  Worth checkin' out.

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
Tony S
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2014, 06:15:46 AM »

Big Carl fan here......would have to say Angel Come Home was such a great tune, whose intensity was magnified by perhaps one of Dennis' last great performances. And while there are sooooo many vocal performances to choose from, Surf's Up certainly stands out for the Boys' tune, though I think my personal favorite may well be Where I Belong. How this tune is routinely overlooked in 'best of' compilations always amazes me.........Carl was magnificent. And on his own, Heaven and I Wish For You. I purchased the Carl Wilson 'Best Of' compilation that was available from one of the Cancer charities years ago; I also have both original pressings of his solo CD's from Japan from the early 90's. I never fail to enjoy listening to Carl Wilson.......one of the true distinct voices in Rock and Roll. Great thread!
lee
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2014, 07:52:28 AM »

His vocals and production on I Can Hear Music are top notch. Other favorites are Our Sweet Love, Friends, Time To Get Alone and I Went To Sleep. Carl's voice is the only redeeming factor on the songs Kokomo and Lahaina Aloha.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2014, 07:57:13 AM »

Top 5 Compositions:

1.  "Heaven"
2.  "Where I Belong"
3.  "Trader"
4.  "Livin' With A Heartache"
5.  "Long Promised Road""

Top 5 Lead Vocals:

1.  "God Only Knows"
2.  "I Can Hear Music"
3.  "Good Timin"
4.  "Let Us Go On This Way'
5.  "Givin' You Up" or "Of The Times" (pick 'em)
Nicko1234
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2014, 08:53:05 AM »

Big Carl fan here......would have to say Angel Come Home was such a great tune, whose intensity was magnified by perhaps one of Dennis' last great performances. And while there are sooooo many vocal performances to choose from, Surf's Up certainly stands out for the Boys' tune, though I think my personal favorite may well be Where I Belong. How this tune is routinely overlooked in 'best of' compilations always amazes me.........Carl was magnificent. And on his own, Heaven and I Wish For You. I purchased the Carl Wilson 'Best Of' compilation that was available from one of the Cancer charities years ago; I also have both original pressings of his solo CD's from Japan from the early 90's. I never fail to enjoy listening to Carl Wilson.......one of the true distinct voices in Rock and Roll. Great thread!

I completely agree. Not sure why this wasn`t included on either of the box sets.

Where I Belong, Trader and All This is That are probably my favourite songs that Carl has a writing credit on. From his solo career though songs like Heaven, Givin You Up and I Wish For You are all impressive.

His attempts to write anything more rocky are generally weak though like Maybe I Don`t Know, Run Don`t Walk and several solo songs.
Moon Dawg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2014, 09:05:32 AM »

"Feel Flows" is Carl's masterpiece. In a sense it's his "Good Vibrations." I like Rieley's words as well.

In a career of standout vocals, "God Only Knows" was his finest moment as a lead singer.

In an era where the material was too often substandard (80's-90's), Carl's singing always elevated the mediocre into something a bit better.

Carl Wilson - One of Rock's great voices. We know it; does the rest of the world?
« Last Edit: April 12, 2014, 09:14:19 AM by Moon Dawg » Logged
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2014, 09:36:29 AM »

The best voice in pop/rock history, hands down with don Henley probably number 2. I actually preferred Carl's voice as it aged. From the late 80's onward, his live vocals on songs like Forever, GOK, Darlin, SOS can't be touched.

Summer's gone...it's finally sinking in
Jim Rockford
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2014, 09:47:28 AM »

He really had a beautiful sweet voice. The end of All This Is That is just out of this world.
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2014, 10:11:26 AM »

Carl was beautiful, lovely man and it's sad that he's still not around today.

I love all his work - everything he did with the boys was great. "I Went to Sleep," my favorite Beach Boys song, has his name attached to it, as does "Friends," another of my favorites. "Long Promised Road" and "Feel Flows" ain't no slouches, either. Great pieces of psychedelic music that strayed so far from their usual sound, but still managed to stay within it. Truly original songs that are so completely different from what everyone else in the band was doing.

I read once that Carl was practically their producer from 1969 onwards, which is remarkable. So much talent, and it certainly helped to have a brother like Brian to teach him. I think he managed to save a lot of albums from being average at best. The fact that he managed to pick up Brian-Fucking-Wilson's unfinished works and complete them while still maintaining the same level of quality is really fascinating. Some people would even concede that he outdid Brian with his version of "Surf's Up."

He also had a wonderful voice that conveyed so much emotion, it's a wonder Brian held off on using him for so long. His singing was just perfect and sublime and it's breath taking on things like the ending to "All This Is That." He was certainly a master of vocal cords. Although, as much as I love him, I think he started to be overused on later albums, it seemed like almost every song had Carl doing a lead.

I miss you, Carl  Embarrassed

The Dumb Angel
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2014, 10:26:47 AM »

Favorite Compositions:
1. "Feel Flows"
2. "Trader"
3. "Long Promised Road"
4. "Where I Belong"
5. "Heaven"

Favorite Vocals:
1. "God Only Knows"
2. "Soulful Old Man Sunshine"
3. "This Whole World"
4. "I Can Hear Music"
5. "Let Us Go On This Way"
Watch a Cave
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2014, 12:31:33 PM »

Carl's lead vocal on Out Sweet Love is stupendous.  So pretty.

Love him on the concert version of Darlin' too (on Endless Harmony compilation).  For me it is the definitive version.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2014, 12:45:03 PM by Watch a Cave » Logged
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2014, 12:35:22 PM »

Love him on the concert version of Darlin' too.
My favourite is probably the 1980 Knebworth rendition. OUT-OF-SIGHT.

P.S. Your nickname is still one of the most awesome things I've seen on this board. Grin
lee
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2014, 07:27:18 PM »

I forgot about Livin' With A Heartache and Sweet Sunday Kinda Love. They don't get mentioned as much as others but they are two I love listening to.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2014, 09:24:18 AM by lee » Logged
halblaineisgood
« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2014, 08:40:08 PM »

« Last Edit: December 30, 2014, 09:53:02 PM by halblaineisgood » Logged
Gertie J.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2014, 09:11:14 PM »

its gettin late rocks my socks off, hooks galore Cool Guy

dj, blogger, and hanger-on
joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2014, 09:25:14 PM »

"Of the times" is a very underrated Beach Boy Quality song...
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 13, 2014, 12:25:24 AM »

"Darlin" is one song that was better live than on the record. Carl just sang better and better as the years went by. "Our Sweet Love" has to be on my list, too - perfect vocal and production there. I agree about "Of the Times", too, like how it builds from the soft first verse, and gradually builds. Some fantastic guitar work by "Skunk" Baxter.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx