gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680739 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 18, 2024, 01:52:10 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Favorite songs by Carl Wilson  (Read 11072 times)
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 13, 2014, 05:19:14 AM »

"Of the times" is a very underrated Beach Boy Quality song...

There's some good stuff on Youngblood.
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #26 on: April 13, 2014, 08:40:46 AM »

Where i Belong is in my all-time top ten favourite Beach Boys songs - possibly even my top 5.

It is so earth-shatteringly supendous I find it slightly staggering when people on here claim not to be overly taken with it.

It's just an incredible song. That it was left off Good Vibrations and MIC is nothing short of scanderlous! It is by some considerbale distance the best thing they did in the '80's and it's up their with Feel Flows and Trader in the All-Time Great Carl Wilson composiitons.

The song is, more than anything, proof positive that Carl had the genius genes flowing through his veins like his brothers. It may not have boiled to the surface as often, but when it did it was just as incredible!

There's a million lesser bands who would happily commit murder for a song of this calibre. It's a sign of both the greatness of Carl and the band that they could have songs like this in their catalogue, largely neglected and forgotten.
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 13, 2014, 08:50:43 AM »

Where i Belong is in my all-time top ten favourite Beach Boys songs - possibly even my top 5.

It is so earth-shatteringly supendous I find it slightly staggering when people on here claim not to be overly taken with it.

It's just an incredible song. That it was left off Good Vibrations and MIC is nothing short of scanderlous! It is by some considerbale distance the best thing they did in the '80's and it's up their with Feel Flows and Trader in the All-Time Great Carl Wilson composiitons.

The song is, more than anything, proof positive that Carl had the genius genes flowing through his veins like his brothers. It may not have boiled to the surface as often, but when it did it was just as incredible!

There's a million lesser bands who would happily commit murder for a song of this calibre. It's a sign of both the greatness of Carl and the band that they could have songs like this in their catalogue, largely neglected and forgotten.

Where I Belong is a victim of its time. A certain segment of their fandom will not give it it's due simply because of when it was recorded. Had it been on Holland or CATP, or had the lyrics been drafted by Jack Reilly it would be held in much higher regard.  It is a great song. David Leaf said after the GV box was released that he regretted not including it on the last disc.

Summer's gone...it's finally sinking in
The 4th Wilson Bro.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 17, 2014, 10:52:39 AM »

I first fell in love with Carl's vocal ability on "I Can Hear Music."  It's difficult for me to actually fathom that this was a cover, because Carl took that tune and really made it his own.  I very much agree with those who believe Carl's voice got better with age.  Wonderful songs like "God Only Knows," Darlin'" and others sounded better in concert in the '80s and early '90s mainly because of the maturity that Carl's voice had developed by that era.

It's almost impossible for me to place Carl Wilson's leads into any type of order.  I never heard the man sing anything – whether his own compositions or anything else – that I didn't like.  I will say that all of the songs I mentioned above are among my personal favorites.  Others on which he sang lead, or contributed mightily, include "Good Vibrations," "Heaven," "I Wish For You" and one that I don't remember anyone else mentioning: "What You Do To Me."  I'm leaving out many others that are equally good.

I believe there will never be another vocalist with the talent and ability of Carl Wilson.  I listen to the man's music almost every day – and I never get tired of hearing that wonderful, soulful voice.  Even after all these years, it's almost unimaginable that he's gone.  Just think what the 50th anniversary tour could have been like with Carl on stage alongside his partners.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 17, 2014, 11:47:55 AM »

I first fell in love with Carl's vocal ability on "I Can Hear Music."  It's difficult for me to actually fathom that this was a cover, because Carl took that tune and really made it his own.  I very much agree with those who believe Carl's voice got better with age.  Wonderful songs like "God Only Knows," Darlin'" and others sounded better in concert in the '80s and early '90s mainly because of the maturity that Carl's voice had developed by that era.

It's almost impossible for me to place Carl Wilson's leads into any type of order.  I never heard the man sing anything – whether his own compositions or anything else – that I didn't like.  I will say that all of the songs I mentioned above are among my personal favorites.  Others on which he sang lead, or contributed mightily, include "Good Vibrations," "Heaven," "I Wish For You" and one that I don't remember anyone else mentioning: "What You Do To Me."  I'm leaving out many others that are equally good.

I believe there will never be another vocalist with the talent and ability of Carl Wilson.  I listen to the man's music almost every day – and I never get tired of hearing that wonderful, soulful voice.  Even after all these years, it's almost unimaginable that he's gone.  Just think what the 50th anniversary tour could have been like with Carl on stage alongside his partners.
Great post! Seeing them live quite a few times between 1969-1975, Carl showed a very understated "coolness" on stage and in interviews. He had a nice presence on stage and could sing his ass off. Those early to mid-70's shows really centered as much around Carl, as they did around Mike.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 17, 2014, 11:55:12 AM »

Favourite composition: "Feels Flows". Nothing remotely like it anywhere.
Favourite lead vocal: "I Can Hear Music". That wail a few bars in is worth more than the entire repertoire of most other pop vocalists.

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 17, 2014, 12:07:17 PM »

My favorite Carl Wilson compositions are Feel Flows, Long Promised Road, The Trader and I Wish For You (Beckley-Lamm-Wilson).
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: April 17, 2014, 03:08:11 PM »

I love "Surf Jam", probably my second favorite surf instrumental ever recorded by anyone.

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
The 4th Wilson Bro.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 21, 2014, 11:49:52 AM »

Great post! Seeing them live quite a few times between 1969-1975, Carl showed a very understated "coolness" on stage and in interviews. He had a nice presence on stage and could sing his ass off. Those early to mid-70's shows really centered as much around Carl, as they did around Mike.

I've never met a Carl Wilson fan who didn't sense the man's "understated coolness," though I doubt few ever stated it as well as you did in your post.  Outside Carl's wonderful voice, that was one of the most endearing qualities of a man who displayed far more than his share of good qualities.
Orange Crate Art
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 21, 2014, 12:01:24 PM »

I always liked Carl's 'Time' from Youngblood. It's a total rocker! Great way to end the album too!

Hey did you hear that George fell into his French horn?
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 21, 2014, 01:08:49 PM »

I always liked Carl's 'Time' from Youngblood. It's a total rocker! Great way to end the album too!
One of the highlights of the show I saw in June 1983. Wish I'd snuck a tape recorder into that place.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 21, 2014, 01:10:34 PM »

Yes it is. This thread prompted me to give Youngblood a good listen and I'm I'm glad it did. I thought Youngblood was a strong album in 1983 and, after revisiting it, I still think it is. Carl's vocals are spectacular; it might be his strongest album vocally. There's not a clunker on the album (maybe the title cut is the weakest) and, in my opinion, Youngblood features 7 or 8 strong tracks. Again in my opinion, I can think of only one other BB solo album which can claim that - Pacific Ocean Blue. Check these out:

-  "She's Mine"
-  "Givin' You Up"
-  "One More Night Alone"
-  "Rockin' All Over The World"
-  "Of The Times"
-  "If I Could talk To Love"
-  "Time"
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 21, 2014, 01:59:38 PM »

Yes it is. This thread prompted me to give Youngblood a good listen and I'm I'm glad it did. I thought Youngblood was a strong album in 1983 and, after revisiting it, I still think it is. Carl's vocals are spectacular; it might be his strongest album vocally. There's not a clunker on the album (maybe the title cut is the weakest) and, in my opinion, Youngblood features 7 or 8 strong tracks. Again in my opinion, I can think of only one other BB solo album which can claim that - Pacific Ocean Blue. Check these out:

-  "She's Mine"
-  "Givin' You Up"
-  "One More Night Alone"
-  "Rockin' All Over The World"
-  "Of The Times"
-  "If I Could talk To Love"
-  "Time"
Nice to see that other fans are coming around to sharing my opinion of this album. For many years  it seemed that  I was the only one that liked it.
Tony S
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 21, 2014, 02:10:06 PM »

You can add me to the list too; I always liked it and thought it should have done much better than it did, retail was. Some great Carl Wilson tunes and vocals.
D Cunningham
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 21, 2014, 02:14:10 PM »

Funny, I was in the grocery store just this morning and heard a song overhead...thought, the playing of this song
over the past quarter century has brought dear Carl to my mind (and ears) more than any other song.
"Don't Let the Sun Go Down..."
Quzi
Smiley Smile Associate

Eagerly awaiting tHe BeDRoOM TaPES

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 22, 2014, 08:27:41 AM »

I find Where I Belong is a bit overrated. I can't be the only one who cringes at the "don't need to search no more exotic islands" lyric, right?

"A/S/L"?
"Age:24. That's when Brian Wilson made Pet Sounds. Sex: Brian Wilson was having loads of sex with Marilyn when he made Pet Sounds. Location: Gold Star Studios, where Brian Wilson assembled with the Wrecking Crew to make Pet Sounds. Hbu?"
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 22, 2014, 10:34:11 AM »

I'm also a fan of Carl's solo stuff -- there are some hidden gems within.

For this long-time Carl fan, "Wild Honey," "Darlin'," and "I Can Hear Music" set the hook. "Feel Flows," "Long Promised Road," and his vocals on "This Whole World" and "Surf's Up" sealed the deal. I fell in love with that voice!
Sound of Free
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 22, 2014, 04:49:50 PM »

I like "Where I Belong" a lot. It's a very good song with great vocal from Carl, and I think Al's vocal counterpoint the last two times in the chorus is terrific.

For the best Carl song, though, I have to go with "Long Promised Road."
Loves The Sunflower
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 25, 2014, 08:01:09 AM »

My favorite Carl Wilson vocal performance is probably... anything he ever sang. Cop out? Probably.

Somewhere on YouTube there's video of a concert from Australia in 1978 (I think) where he is clearly somewhat inebriated, yet, he still turns in a gorgeous rendition of "God Only Knows". I just don't think I've heard Carl sing anything that he didn't sound good on. He had a beautiful voice on mellower tunes/ballads, but he could get gritty on a rocker with the best of them.

Favorite compositions...

The only stuff of his I've ever heard that I don't care much for is on his first solo album. I like "Hold Me" and "The Grammy" and I love "Heaven", but the rest of the album just doesn't grab me. Beyond that, I like his writing, be it "Long Promised Road" or "The Trader", or "What More Can I Say?" or "Where I Belong".

Anybody know why he didn't contribute material to the couple post-1985 Beach Boys studio albums he was involved in before he passed away? Was he not permitted/asked to? Did he feel his efforts were unappreciated, so why bother? I think it's extremely unfortunate that he didn't because, IMHO, the albums from 1970 onward always benefited from Carl's contributions to the songwriting.         
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 25, 2014, 08:27:12 AM »

My favorite Carl Wilson vocal performance is probably... anything he ever sang. Cop out? Probably.

Somewhere on YouTube there's video of a concert from Australia in 1978 (I think) where he is clearly somewhat inebriated, yet, he still turns in a gorgeous rendition of "God Only Knows". I just don't think I've heard Carl sing anything that he didn't sound good on. He had a beautiful voice on mellower tunes/ballads, but he could get gritty on a rocker with the best of them.

Favorite compositions...

The only stuff of his I've ever heard that I don't care much for is on his first solo album. I like "Hold Me" and "The Grammy" and I love "Heaven", but the rest of the album just doesn't grab me. Beyond that, I like his writing, be it "Long Promised Road" or "The Trader", or "What More Can I Say?" or "Where I Belong".

Anybody know why he didn't contribute material to the couple post-1985 Beach Boys studio albums he was involved in before he passed away? Was he not permitted/asked to? Did he feel his efforts were unappreciated, so why bother? I think it's extremely unfortunate that he didn't because, IMHO, the albums from 1970 onward always benefited from Carl's contributions to the songwriting.         
I've wondered about that for a long time. SC and SIC would have benefitted from some songs from Carl.
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: April 25, 2014, 10:37:41 AM »

Youngblood is better than Heaven I think. Horrible titles for albums though. Shame Carl didn't continue with his solo stuff, the Beach Boys were done for by this point so would've been no difference disbanding the whole deal.
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 25, 2014, 10:42:28 AM »

I find Where I Belong is a bit overrated. I can't be the only one who cringes at the "don't need to search no more exotic islands" lyric, right?

that lyric is really horrid, really cheeses the album up. perhaps he wanted it to be more 'beach boys/summerish'? After all, he was the bloke that wrote the atrocious Keeping The Summer Alive
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 25, 2014, 11:03:42 AM »

Youngblood is better than Heaven I think. Horrible titles for albums though. Shame Carl didn't continue with his solo stuff, the Beach Boys were done for by this point so would've been no difference disbanding the whole deal.
The first album was not call "Heaven", it had no title or was self-titled. Of the solo material, I think Heaven and Of The Times are probably the two best pieces of music that he wrote.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
MyDrKnowsItKeepsMeCalm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 25, 2014, 11:50:51 AM »

A few fave lead vocals by Carl that I haven't seen mentioned yet:

Steamboat
With Me Tonight

I love the sound of his voice on both of these; such a richness and sweetness to it.

Also, not a lead vocal per se but the bridge on I'll Bet He's Nice is similarly lovely.

Heysaboda
Smiley Smile Associate

Son, don't wait till the break of day....

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 25, 2014, 12:42:58 PM »

"Our Sweet Love" is such a perfect, perfect, perfect recording in every way -- sometimes I can't believe that it really exists!

Son, don't wait till the break of day 'cause you know how time fades away......
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx