gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 11:17:46 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Killer's autobiography and NEW ALBUM.... in November  (Read 13976 times)
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: November 22, 2014, 12:03:11 PM »

The Jerry Lee part:

Jerry Lee Lewis 1964 The Mayor's Parlour West Bromwich
Jerry Lee Lewis, pianist, singer and songwriter was, not without good reason, known as The Killer. His stage performances were primitive, seemingly barely under control, anarchic but unequalled. He is one of the three men who best embodied the spirit of rock &and roll.

The other two? Chuck Berry and Little Richard, naturally.

Lewis was one of the stars of Sun Records in Memphis where his label-mates were Elvis Presley, Roy Orbison, Johnny Cash and Carl Perkins.

His rise to international fame was meteoric, fuelled by the massive 1957 hit Whole Lotta Shakin’ Goin’ On.

Lewis was selling more records than Elvis, but his career suffered catastrophically when his marriage to his 13-year-old cousin was made public.

The scandal caused his performance fees to plummet from $10,000 a night to $250.

Lewis steadily rebuilt his career with consistently fine recordings and legendary stage shows. His box-set All Killer, No Filler is listed by Rolling Stone in their 500 Greatest Albums of All Time and his contribution to rock and roll is enormous.

Source:

When Rolling Stones, Jerry Lee Lewis and other music legends came to Birmingham

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/nostalgia/rock-stars-1960s-caught-candid-8122556

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: November 28, 2014, 02:45:56 PM »

Here's an excerpt from the book:

Jerry Lee Lewis on touring with Elvis, Johnny Cash, Carl Perkins: “They knew, even then, they were seeing the greatest thing”
Cash, Perkins, Jackson -- they were all legends, they were all young, and the early tours were unforgettably cool

- Rick Bragg

http://www.salon.com/2014/11/28/jerry_lee_lewis_on_touring_with_elvis_johnny_cash_carl_perkins_they_knew_even_then_they_were_seeing_the_greatest_thing/?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=socialflow

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: November 28, 2014, 06:44:13 PM »

Unforgettably cool?  I spent time with 'the [so-called] Killer' a couple of times.  It was for hours as opposed to minutes...certainly enough time to see how he treated people plus his general attitude in regards to his sense of where he fit in the scheme of things.  From my perspective the things he was most experienced at killing were his own career, any chance at good will, and all opportunities to be taken seriously as a professional in the entertainment business.  HE was his own worst enemy.  T'was he who paid the price.  Cool?  Not so much.

IF he was 'all that' then why only the 2 1/2 meaningful hits back in the day?  Jerry Lee Lewis...that's why.   He left himself Breathless.

Don't get me wrong...I do [and did] like the songs very much.  The man?  Hank Junior suggested that HE needed an an attitude adjustment?  Not like ol' Killer.  I think though that's probably all he had in him and then he pretty much went and sought out the safety of the country music audience along with cousin Mickey.  He sure as heck wasn't gonna find it with 'the man in the sky'.  His other cousin pissed that concept away...even if JLL had WANTED to try living under that long black veil.

Jerry Lee wasn't a one hit wonder.  He did very well for himself.  Perhaps he could have been a whole lot MORE...if he wasn't such an ass.  But from what I saw him say and do he was exactly that.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That was back in the mid 80s by the way.  Maybe he' an entirely different person now.  Many of us are.  People ask me...of all the folks I've met and interviewed along the way...who was the best/who was the worst?

Carl Wilson circa 1971/72 was the best. Mark and Howard/Flo and Eddy were great too.  So was BJ Thomas...Mary Wilson...Michael Buble and Joe Cocker.  Jerry Lee pretty owns the other end of the spectrum all by himself.  
« Last Edit: November 29, 2014, 12:41:01 AM by Add Some » Logged

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: November 30, 2014, 04:13:30 AM »

I'm sorry to hear about your experience with the Killer, Add Some. The 80s were his worst decade of heavy drug abuse. So maybe it has something to do with that but that won't make your experience any better. And I'm sure even sober he can be a big a$$hole. But of course that won't change him being one of the greatest talents ever.

Here's a Q&A with The Guardian:

http://www.theguardian.com/music/2014/nov/29/jerry-lee-lewis-q-and-a-interview

- Jack Rieley
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: November 30, 2014, 10:07:01 AM »

If you could edit your past, what would you change?
Nothing.

How would you like to be remembered?
As a great entertainer who always gave 100%.

Yes...it was the 80s.  85 and 86ish Rocker.  Seems he's forgotten that era...otherwise these two Q and A's above make no sense and suggest a thick air of having lived a life fantasy and complacency...right up to and including the day of that interview.  In order to be remembered "As a great entertainer who always gave 100%.
" he would, one, have to show up...at the very least within' 3 hours of the contractually agreed to show time and, two, have some degree of respect for his fellow human beings while there.

For some reason the guy has been cut a 'bligh' for decades and even though I think his 3 Rock 'n' Roll era hits were excellent and that some of his Country tunes are pretty darned decent too...being included as a member of the Rock 'n' Roll Hall of Fame might be seen by some as being a little overly generous.  Perhaps his reputation far outstrips the realities no matter which way you look at it?  [good and bad]

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
halblaineisgood
« Reply #55 on: February 11, 2015, 10:28:15 PM »

Just read the Rick Bragg book. Now I wanna go back and reread Hellfire.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2015, 10:31:02 PM by halblaineisgood » Logged
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: February 15, 2015, 11:34:18 AM »

I still haven't even begun reading it...  Cheesy

But my opinion about "Rock and Roll Time" (the album) took a 180° turn now that I have had a chance to listen to it intently. What a piece of junk. I already mentioned the terrible job of autotune (or whatever it is they used on his voice). You think Brian sounded like a robot on the early shows of the Beach Boys 2012 tour? Well, listen to this. And something else: it looks like "Little queenie" was a copy-and-paste job. There's no piano on the track, except for the places when Jerry sings; and ONLY then. So I guess it was a bleedthrough on the vocaltrack or something and they cut the vocaltrack into small pieces that they then would put onto their respective places on the track. So you only hear the piano as background while he is singing and the it's gone only to appear on (or better: under) the next singing part.
I also think that this studio chatter stuff is really annoying when done on each of the last three albums. It was ok for Last Man Standing, but now it's getting ridiculous. I wonder if JLL even listened to this album or if Jim Keltner did. I would never put out this kind of album. It could have been a good one but the production makes it crap.

Some thoughts on the songs:

"Sick and tired" is a cool tune but I like Jerry's Sun recording much, much better:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJGXAUAz8Cw

The new one sounds like it was inspired by Waylon Jennings' version. Nothing wrong with that but it just doesn't sound Lewis enough to me.

"Folsom Prison Blues" was done great by Jerry, no need to do it again only if to let one hear his guitar playing. We could already hear it on "Mean ol' man"'s "Will the circle be unbroken" and iirc "Life is like a railroad".

"Keep me in mind" could've been a great new entry into the catalogue of Lewis but the work on the leadvocal just ruin it.

I'd like to know how many more Kris Kristofferson songs Jerry Lee recorded during the sessions (that already gave us three albums).
Thankfully the guest stars don't get to sing very much on this one. I hope a next one will follow that.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2015, 11:35:22 AM by Rocker » Logged

- Jack Rieley
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 15, 2015, 12:20:42 PM »

Unforgettably cool?  I spent time with 'the [so-called] Killer' a couple of times.  It was for hours as opposed to minutes...certainly enough time to see how he treated people plus his general attitude in regards to his sense of where he fit in the scheme of things.  From my perspective the things he was most experienced at killing were his own career, any chance at good will, and all opportunities to be taken seriously as a professional in the entertainment business.  HE was his own worst enemy.  T'was he who paid the price.  Cool?  Not so much.

IF he was 'all that' then why only the 2 1/2 meaningful hits back in the day?  Jerry Lee Lewis...that's why.   He left himself Breathless.

Don't get me wrong...I do [and did] like the songs very much.  The man?  Hank Junior suggested that HE needed an an attitude adjustment?  Not like ol' Killer.  I think though that's probably all he had in him and then he pretty much went and sought out the safety of the country music audience along with cousin Mickey.  He sure as heck wasn't gonna find it with 'the man in the sky'.  His other cousin pissed that concept away...even if JLL had WANTED to try living under that long black veil.

Jerry Lee wasn't a one hit wonder.  He did very well for himself.  Perhaps he could have been a whole lot MORE...if he wasn't such an ass.  But from what I saw him say and do he was exactly that.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That was back in the mid 80s by the way.  Maybe he' an entirely different person now.  Many of us are.  People ask me...of all the folks I've met and interviewed along the way...who was the best/who was the worst?

Carl Wilson circa 1971/72 was the best. Mark and Howard/Flo and Eddy were great too.  So was BJ Thomas...Mary Wilson...Michael Buble and Joe Cocker.  Jerry Lee pretty owns the other end of the spectrum all by himself.  
I've read Carl Perkins' autobio, and the only guy he has anything bad to say about is JLL. Does not deny his talent, but JLL was full of himself even before he was a star. Was supposed to have a piano solo on "Matchbox", but Carl took both solos himself because he couldn't stand JLL's arrogance.
Aum Bop Diddit
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 15, 2015, 01:24:02 PM »

I would imagine being in the Killer's presence for any length of time would be trying.  That doesn't have anything to do with his greatness as a recording/performing artist. 

Hey!  Those are *MY* wind chimes!
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 16, 2015, 01:04:05 PM »

To be fair, though, Chuck Berry can be very trying, too.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: May 08, 2015, 01:44:41 PM »

The Killer at Jazz Fest, May 2nd 2015. 3 Songs, pro shot:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=44&v=YZWfZAyfeg8

- Jack Rieley
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: May 08, 2015, 05:06:14 PM »

Yup.  And sometimes he can ... or at least could...be OK.  He had WAY more hits though.  LOADS more.

Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 08, 2015, 09:59:26 PM »

Yup.  And sometimes he can ... or at least could...be OK.  He had WAY more hits though.  LOADS more.
I saw him back in 1980, 84, and 95. The first show was electric. The second show was sabotaged by a terrible backup band and sound system. The last show was another great one. I'm sure the band was a pickup band, but they knew his music, and he let them share the spotlight. Chuck himself sounded fine, still played some fine guitar. Judging by recent footage on youtube, I'd say he should  have given it up a long time ago.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: August 09, 2015, 03:57:57 AM »

I didn't wanna start a new thread for this. So here you go:

Jerry Lee Lewis: ‘I worry about whether I'm going to heaven or hell’

http://www.theguardian.com/music/2015/aug/08/jerry-lee-lewis-interview-heaven-hell?CMP=share_btn_fb

« Last Edit: August 10, 2015, 01:19:12 PM by Rocker » Logged

- Jack Rieley
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx