gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680810 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 25, 2024, 12:21:18 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Record Store Day 2014  (Read 3437 times)
Peadar 'Big Dinner' O'Driscoll
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« on: April 11, 2014, 03:45:12 AM »

Anyone got their eye on something for Record Store Day on Saturday April 19th?

On a Beach Boys related note Id like to get the Kalinich album (not really a fan of it but if Light in the Attic are involved, its bound to be a really nice package) and that Sunrays single from Sundazed.

Few other things caught my eye

Double Live LP (Pogues and Joe Strummer)
Steve Earle Townes (the basics)
Hank Williams 10" from Omnivore

Not really anything Id actually line up for this year but a couple of things Id like.

Anyone else?

alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2014, 01:21:21 PM »

I haven't really seen anything that's really peaked my interest the past few Record Store Day/Back to Black Friday's.

There's a few things I want:

The Garden Spot Program - Hank Williams
Roots - The Everly Brothers
A Time of Peace Will Come - Stephen Kalinich
Loaded - The Velvet Underground

I won't really be bummed if I miss out on any of them.
I'll definitely be getting the full version of Hank's album when it's released in May, though.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2014, 02:28:42 PM »

Isn't the Beach Boys "Surfin' Safari" vinyl album available on Record Store Day?

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
feelsflow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2014, 02:30:00 PM »

Somebody posted the Sunrays single on a Thread, I think on the main board.  I have ordered a copy of that.  So I will be at a store to pick it up on the 19th.  I haven't read the complete list yet - probably just see what they have.  Rhino is a small store, so I hope I don't have to spend too much of my day there waiting to get in.  They should of picked a better day than the one before Easter, I'll be busy!

...if you are honest - you have no idea where childhood ends and maturity begins.  It is all endless and all one.  ~ P.L. Travers        And, let's get this out of the way now, everything I post is my opinion.  ~ Will
feelsflow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2014, 02:42:46 PM »

Isn't the Beach Boys "Surfin' Safari" vinyl album available on Record Store Day?
Yes, on blue vinyl.  My shop won't let me put a hold on it, and weren't sure they would even have any.  I think it will end up on ebay, and that's about it.  $$$
Record Store Day is really a joke if you are trying to get something you know will go fast.  First group in the shop hears, "Ah man, I just sold the last one."  The real story is he's got them in a box waiting to sell them the next day on ebay.  I've looked into this before.  I had no trouble getting them to hold the Sunrays' 45.  I'll try to get there early and see.  Mikie, you are in a area were you have Big Stores, mine is very small - all the record stores around here are small.  Last year I went into one who said they didn't even bother... But again, I bet he got the rare stuff that he could be sure to sell.
Color me cynical.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2014, 03:18:14 PM by feelsflow » Logged

...if you are honest - you have no idea where childhood ends and maturity begins.  It is all endless and all one.  ~ P.L. Travers        And, let's get this out of the way now, everything I post is my opinion.  ~ Will
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2014, 03:12:51 PM »

Yes, on blue vinyl.  My shop won't let me put a hold on it, and weren't sure they would even have any.  I think it will end up on ebay, and that's about it.  $$$
Lads - Here's a cover shot from the RSD UK page http://www.recordstoreday.co.uk/exclusive-products/2014/?p=2 - Looks to me like the "stereo" edition which I believe is some kind of bootleg, despite it's current ubiquity (not the blue vinyl, but I've seen aboot 3-4 versions on vinyl and CD (track listing the same, but various takes on the cover art)).

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2014, 05:25:17 PM »

Yeah, but not really interested in that as its one of those public domain European labels. Loads of em around, blue vinyl or not.

VanDykeParksAndRec
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2014, 11:25:02 AM »

I'll probably just go for Pinback's first album's vinyl release, I think my girlfriend wants the Little Dragon album.  I heard there is a Damon Albarn 7", but his full album comes out like 2 days later, probably just wait for that.  Have been considering the "Space Project" but it's probably $50-$60 for the set of 45's.

Oh well, now I can save more money to get my Dual 1019 fixed.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2014, 01:59:38 AM »

Picked up a few things I wanted...too tempting to spend more money than I should so left other stuff behind

MaxL
Smiley Smile Associate

"It's a damn shame"

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2014, 03:40:29 AM »

And Neil Young goes and discreetly releases his new album on RSD. I know the store I would've gone to wouldn't have it but still, damn.
feelsflow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2014, 04:48:18 AM »

My Brother Woody,  Great Haul!!  What did the Sunrays' 45 cost?
I'm going out soon, still 7:35am here on the East coast.  I called my shop yesterday, and couldn't get a confirmation what time the representative from sundazed was going to be bringing in the stock.  Turned out the cat I talked to last month didn't have the power to hold the 45 for me, and they wouldn't say what they would be stocking!  Directed questions to their Facebook page!
So...will have to take a chance and drive over to New Paltz.  Did your shop have The Beach Boys record?

Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2014, 05:10:18 AM »

My Brother Woody,  Great Haul!!  What did the Sunrays' 45 cost?
I'm going out soon, still 7:35am here on the East coast.  I called my shop yesterday, and couldn't get a confirmation what time the representative from sundazed was going to be bringing in the stock.  Turned out the cat I talked to last month didn't have the power to hold the 45 for me, and they wouldn't say what they would be stocking!  Directed questions to their Facebook page!
So...will have to take a chance and drive over to New Paltz.  Did your shop have The Beach Boys record?

Hey Will, cost €9.99, pricey for a 7" but it is a nice package. I read there are 2000 copies printed worldwide so you should be able to get one as long as your shop gets it in. I didnt see any copies of the Surfin Safari record. I arrived at the store about an hour after it opened so they may have been already sold.

feelsflow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2014, 06:50:28 AM »

Thanks.  I'll pay that, but yeah - pricey.  I got Iron and Wine's 45 last year for $6 from an Amazon Seller.  None of my shops had it.  I don't know what today will bring - on my way out the door right now...  As for the Beach Boys record...see my above post.  There will be plenty for sale tomorrow.
EDIT:  Decided to call first.  Guess what?  They didn't get the 45 - sundazed is 30 miles from where I live!  The sundazed rep is yet to show, probably down in NYC.  Could they have ordered it?  Yes.  They did say they would hold me a copy, and give me a call if and when he does show up.
I've got a lot of stuff to do today for tomorrow anyway.  Such are the trials of living in the country.
I did ask about the Beach Boys' vinyl, nope - didn't get it either.
Record Store Day Is and Has Been only about Dealers and Re-Sellers.  You are lucky to have a honest Shop in your area, things are different in America.  This deal was created to help the indie dealers, and in a way it has - just tomorrow, tomorrow they will have it.  Hope more folks write in about their experiences.
$$$ Money Talks, as Ray said.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2014, 07:16:20 AM by feelsflow » Logged

Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2014, 10:24:55 AM »

Thats sh*t Will, Id be happy to send you on one from here if there are any left come Tuesday when shops open again, no idea what postage is from Germany to US but might be an option.

feelsflow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2014, 01:31:21 PM »

I am back from my travels.  I Did get the Sunrays 45!!  So, all's well.  Found it in a shop in Woodstock.  That tourist nightmare is hard to deal with - had to wait ten minutes to just get a parking spot.
Also found a left-over from last years Black Friday store day - Van Dyke Parks' "Come To The Sunshine"/"Farther Along" 45.  I don't go to shops often, too much easier to just order stuff online.  Which is now where I'll go to find the records I couldn't find.  I want to look into what the Gram Parsons was - didn't hear about that until this morning, and the Fleetwood Mac 45 "Dragonfly" sounds interesting.
Rest of the week-end is all about fun.

Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2014, 02:07:51 PM »

After waiting for the Surfin' Safari colored vinyl to go on sale on Record Store Day, just found out it's a UK Record Store Day release only.  That sucks.  I'm in California.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2014, 02:20:14 PM »

I am back from my travels.  I Did get the Sunrays 45!!  So, all's well.  Found it in a shop in Woodstock.  That tourist nightmare is hard to deal with - had to wait ten minutes to just get a parking spot.
Also found a left-over from last years Black Friday store day - Van Dyke Parks' "Come To The Sunshine"/"Farther Along" 45.  I don't go to shops often, too much easier to just order stuff online.  Which is now where I'll go to find the records I couldn't find.  I want to look into what the Gram Parsons was - didn't hear about that until this morning, and the Fleetwood Mac 45 "Dragonfly" sounds interesting.

The Gram Parsons record was just the alternate takes and stuff that they put onto that three-CD box set called The Complete Reprise Sessions. If you have that, you've already got what they're selling. It seems to be more of a cash-grab than anything.
Also, while I haven't got around listening to them yet, I've heard that the alternate takes aren't that great anyway, and that the released versions are consistently superior. So, it doesn't seem like the best purchase, but I suppose that's up to you.
feelsflow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2014, 03:42:24 PM »

Releases for RSD continue to be confusing.  Now I know why I couldn't find Surfin' Safari, but not until today.  Thanks for the info Mikie.  When I got back I had a chat with the owner of Rhino who confirmed that he put in orders for many things he couldn't get them to ship to the sticks!  And that much of it will be easy to find online tomorrow.
Josh, I do have that box.  It is worth having for the Best Job they ever did with the mastering - by Dan Hersch and Bill Inglot.  The interviews are no big deal, but I had not bought them when they were available before.  The alternates aren't necessarily better, but are nice to have.  I won't buy the vinyl if that's all it is.  btw, I was reading your post on the Lee Hazlewood Box.  Are you saying there is a Mini Lp of ISB in there?  Are all the singles included?  Never understood why they never were used on all the Many Gram releases.  You're right about the cash grab angle.  I should post an article on the difficulties of buying Gram and the Burritos on CD.  Some of the Japanese releases have tracks that have never been released elsewhere.  My understanding is that Chris himself helped to get them out.  He's a bit miffed that folks think Gram was responsible for what the Burritos were.  I agree, my personal favorite is the Third album.
Okay folks, the sun is going down, the shops are closing up.  We got what we got. All that's left to do now is pull out your wallet and pay what the re-sellers want.  That is the real story behind Record Store Day.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2014, 03:43:34 PM by feelsflow » Logged

alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2014, 03:54:11 PM »

Are you saying there is a Mini Lp of ISB in there?  Are all the singles included?  Never understood why they never were used on all the Many Gram releases.

Unfortunately, no. All that represents ISB in the box is "Luxury Liner" and a brief article on the band. I can type it up, if you want.
There's also a deluxe edition of the box that has a couple DVDs filled with albums released on the LHI label, but Safe at Home isn't one of them. They probably couldn't get the rights to release the stuff, but if you're trying to search it out, it's been put out by Sundazed on CD and LP, along with a couple singles and EPs that were made up, which you can find here: http://www.sundazed.com/shop/artists.php?artistID=134 (the releases are listed on the right).

bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2014, 04:01:14 PM »

I only wanted the Sunrays 45, but the local store didn't bother to stock it.  ( I forgot to check for the Kalinich LP)
But as per the thread in General Music the SUnrays, VDP, etc can be ordered directly from Sundazed:  http://www.sundazed.com/shop/record-store-day.php

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

The dream of Amsterdamee...

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2014, 10:24:31 PM »

Got me a copy of both the Surfin Safari and Kalinich LP's. Couldn't find the Sunrays 45, but I'm going to another later this week, so I might find it there.

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx