gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680770 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 23, 2024, 06:48:40 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: "My Husband's Stupid Record Collection"  (Read 2610 times)
Please delete my account
Smiley Smile Associate

Please delete my account

View Profile
« on: April 11, 2014, 03:34:44 AM »

http://alltherecords.tumblr.com/tagged/beachboys

Consciously uninformed reviews of Smiley Smile and Carl and the Passions- So Tough/Pet Sounds.
Possibly more to come?

Please delete my account
Please delete my account
Smiley Smile Associate

Please delete my account

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2014, 03:40:43 AM »

Also, because I don't know where else to put it, a very long review of an old British hits compilation:
http://nobilliards.blogspot.co.uk/2014/03/the-beach-boys-very-best-of-vols-1-2.html

Please delete my account
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2014, 05:39:48 AM »

A good idea for a blog. She missed Caroline No out though!

My partner's reviews would just be:
'Sh*t'
'Sh*t'
'Sh*t'
'Sh*t'
'Sh*t'
etc.

The guy doesn't know how lucky he is.

I like her review of Smiley Smile - Very insightful. "It reminds me of Animal Collective"
« Last Edit: April 11, 2014, 05:55:02 AM by buddhahat » Logged

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
VanDykeParksAndRec
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2014, 07:02:10 AM »

Pretty good read,  I feel like she shares alot of the same sentiment as my friends when they first were starting to listen to the Beach Boys.  I think there is a little confusion for new listeners, because in their head it's oldies and people obviously don't listen to all genres with the same bearing.

I have a feeling my girlfriend would say even more nice things about the BB's than I would.  Love
« Last Edit: April 11, 2014, 07:05:04 AM by VanDykeParksAndRec » Logged
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2014, 10:47:03 PM »

"It reminds me of Animal Collective"

GROSS.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
leggo of my ego
Smiley Smile Associate

Beach Boys Stomp

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2014, 06:51:40 AM »

"My Husband's Stupid Record Collection"

add twenty five cents each and that was the sign on the box she snuck out in our last yard sale.

Hey Little Tomboy is creepy. Banging women by the pool is fun and conjures up warm summer thoughts a Beach Boys song should.

Necessity knows no law
A bootlegger knows no law
Therefore: A bootlegger is a necessity
Orange Crate Art
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2014, 12:10:29 PM »

She seems like a sweety  Smiley

Hey did you hear that George fell into his French horn?
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2014, 12:53:06 PM »

"It reminds me of Animal Collective"

GROSS.

?

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2014, 01:10:03 PM »

If you are a music junkie like me, hooking up with someone that does not have a similar obsession is just not going to work. Been there, done that.
Nicko1234
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2014, 06:12:59 PM »

Also, because I don't know where else to put it, a very long review of an old British hits compilation:
http://nobilliards.blogspot.co.uk/2014/03/the-beach-boys-very-best-of-vols-1-2.html

This was one of the first compilations that I listened to and I still think it`s one of the best collections that they have ever put out. It deservedly went to number 1 in the U.K.

Strangely up to this point (and into the early 1990s) every U.K. best of album had included You`re So Good to Me and omitted Surfer Girl.
Please delete my account
Smiley Smile Associate

Please delete my account

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2014, 12:02:18 AM »

i guess as the flipside of a big hit (Sloop John B) You're So Good To Me was more familiar in the UK than Surfer Girl which never charted here. That, and maybe whoever was compiling these things didn't like Surfer Girl.
Great compilation, terrible sleeves!

Please delete my account
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2014, 04:39:18 AM »

i guess as the flipside of a big hit (Sloop John B) You're So Good To Me was more familiar in the UK than Surfer Girl which never charted here.
And the Brits liked to dance to it. To quote Abbott's Pet Sounds book: "'You're So Good To Me' in particular, with its blazing Leslie'd guitar lead, should have been a British A-side. At any party at the time in London, this track was the hottest favourite with its simple but storming chorus." (p.35)     

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx