gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680715 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 16, 2024, 12:51:20 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Singles that should have been...  (Read 5878 times)
Steve Latshaw
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: April 08, 2014, 08:54:50 AM »

I always thought Roller Skating Child was the most commercial track from Love You, at least in terms of radio play.  Having said that, I did always think it was missing something.  I recently heard a live show from 1979 featuring the song, which had been featured again in that tour.  The live version has a great bass line... almost a disco bass line that really drives the song along.  I remember hearing some scuttlebutt that year regarding the song... prior to the demise of Here Comes the Night. I had heard there was some talk of putting out a live "disco" versioin of RSC as a single.  Obviously nothing every came of it - but it might have made a better choice as their foray into disco instead of Here Comes the Night.

Other missed single opportunities... Keepin' the Summer Alive... Matchpoint of Our Love... Angel Come Home... California Calling... Runaway (live)... a summer 1978 Beach Boys version of Country Pie... any thoughts?
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2014, 10:03:38 AM »

Country Pie would be the only of that lot that I would consider single material that might have a chance at charting.

RSC would have been a far superior choice to Love is a Woman, that's for sure.

She's Got Rhythm is a missed single - especially if a disco bass was added on there somehow.  A "dance mix" perhaps.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2014, 10:08:23 AM »

- "Palisades Park"
- "The Night Was So Young"
- "Sunshine"
- "Runaway (live)"
- "California Calling"
- "Lahaina Aloha"
- "Spring Vacation"
- "Summer's Gone"

...and I always wish(ed) they would re-release "God Only Knows" as a single in the 2000's - with promotion - maybe when it appeared in a movie or something. I am curious how that song would be received by an entirely new/young/different generation. On a different subject, and not to derail this thread, but if I were running a record company, I would be re-releasing old, classic, timeless singles from the 1960's and 1970's to generations who missed it!
dogear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2014, 10:20:10 AM »

RSC was released here http://www.45cat.com/record/p162r
California Calling here http://www.45cat.com/record/ba3341
Keepin' the Summer Alive here http://www.45cat.com/record/crb8663
« Last Edit: April 08, 2014, 10:25:01 AM by dogear » Logged

Watson, did you hear this?
TimeToGetAlone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2014, 10:43:26 AM »

Two missed opportunities in terms of single potential for me would have to be 1. that huge lag between Good Vibrations and Heroes and Villains and 2. the Endless Summer boom.  I'm not exactly sure on the songs, however, given the release struggles of those respective periods.  For the latter, it seems like such a waste that other than re-releases and an uncommercial Christmas single, it took two years for something to surface and the result was Rock & Roll Music.

Then again, the band got punished stateside for theoretically smart single choices like Break Away and the Sunflower/Surf's Up singles failed to make much of any impact, so who knows.

I think I'd be most intrigued to see how the more unconventional single choices would have been received at particular times.  What if, instead of a B-side, Please Let Me Wonder was an A-side release before Today came out?  What about if a cobbled together Surf's Up made it in late '66?  These are times when their popular was huge, so imagine if these choices, even if not smashes due to their nature, at least were top 40 hits and standards on BB compilations.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2014, 10:44:36 AM by TimeToGetAlone » Logged
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2014, 11:16:07 AM »

Two missed opportunities in terms of single potential for me would have to be 1. that huge lag between Good Vibrations and Heroes and Villains and 2. the Endless Summer boom.  I'm not exactly sure on the songs, however, given the release struggles of those respective periods.  For the latter, it seems like such a waste that other than re-releases and an uncommercial Christmas single, it took two years for something to surface and the result was Rock & Roll Music.

Then again, the band got punished stateside for theoretically smart single choices like Break Away and the Sunflower/Surf's Up singles failed to make much of any impact, so who knows.

I think I'd be most intrigued to see how the more unconventional single choices would have been received at particular times.  What if, instead of a B-side, Please Let Me Wonder was an A-side release before Today came out?  What about if a cobbled together Surf's Up made it in late '66?  These are times when their popular was huge, so imagine if these choices, even if not smashes due to their nature, at least were top 40 hits and standards on BB compilations.

I think Please Let Me Wonder could have been a hit as an an A-side, somewhere along the lines of popularity that Don't Worry Baby attained as a B-side. Maybe not quite on the same level, but perhaps close. It's just so tender and beautiful, and I think it would have crossover appeal - I use the example of my mom (who grew up in the 60s never really liking the BBs/never really connected with them emotionally) who, nevertheless, still really likes Don't Worry Baby, despite whatever BB prejudices she may have.
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2014, 12:10:57 PM »

I wonder how "It's About Time" would have done as a pre-Sunflower roll-out singe instead of Add Some Music.

Rockin' track like that might have managed some FM play.

As great as "Add Some Music" is, people must've heard it and thought "Ah, same ole dorky Beach Boys" ....
TimeToGetAlone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2014, 12:20:16 PM »

I think Please Let Me Wonder could have been a hit as an an A-side, somewhere along the lines of popularity that Don't Worry Baby attained as a B-side. Maybe not quite on the same level, but perhaps close. It's just so tender and beautiful, and I think it would have crossover appeal - I use the example of my mom (who grew up in the 60s never really liking the BBs/never really connected with them emotionally) who, nevertheless, still really likes Don't Worry Baby, despite whatever BB prejudices she may have.
Yeah, I mean it actually reached #52 as a B-side, and as far as I know God Only Knows is the only B-side to chart thereafter in the US.  I might even go as far to say it was likely to have been a decent hit at the time.
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2014, 12:49:24 PM »

Dont Worry Baby  should never have been a B-side
Orange Crate Art
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2014, 01:01:09 PM »

Meet Me In My Dreams Tonight might've been a good choice for a single.

Hey did you hear that George fell into his French horn?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2014, 01:05:20 PM »

Male Ego!

Not kidding!
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2014, 01:13:05 PM »

Male ego is what love you 2 would sound like. Rock! Rock!

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2014, 01:48:14 PM »

But it's a catchy-as-hell song!

as a follow up single to Getcha Back: it could have done swell
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2014, 03:05:41 PM »

But it's a catchy-as-hell song!

as a follow up single to Getcha Back: it could have done swell

Hell yeah! Even the drum machine rises to the occassion.

I know Forever was the B-side of CCW, but wonder if it would have performed as an A-side.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2014, 03:28:52 PM by Alan Smith » Logged

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
Zack
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2014, 03:30:05 PM »

Catch a Wave, people.   

"I experimented myself right out of action."
wantsomecorn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2014, 04:00:04 PM »

Isn't It Time (the album version) would've made a much better single than TWGMTR. Great reunion song, doesn't rely on nostalgia, and catchy as hell, with vocal bits from everyone.

Also, River Song could've killed as a follow-up new single to Endless Summer, if they had gotten it recorded. Hell, they could've released a live version.

Or for that matter, a live single from Beachago.

On our way through this "backstage" maze, Bruce joined up with the group and said hello, singing "It Never Rains in Southern California" and joking with some of the older ladies. I'm not sure if they knew he was a Beach Boy or simply an enthusiastic elderly gay gentleman.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2014, 04:06:15 PM »

Denny's "School Girl" coulda been a contender.

I think. It sounds to me like it was absolutely written with intentional commercial potential and radio airplay in mind, moreso than any other DW recording I can think of.
Steve Latshaw
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2014, 04:10:40 PM »

I have to disagree about Isn't It Time.  I thought the album version was cute, sort of a modern day spin on a Friends album track, right down to the keyboard sound and guitar,  The single version was pumped up slightly and fun to hear but tanked as a single.  TWGMTR was a hit so I'm not quite sure why Isn't It Time would have been a better choice considering it followed it and never charted.

Someone else posted that Spring Vacation would have been a good single.  I agree... I played it for my 25 year old son when the album came out and he loved it.  And he don't listen to the Beach Boys, except for an ancient oldie he likes called Kokomo.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2014, 04:39:49 PM »

I have to disagree about Isn't It Time.  I thought the album version was cute, sort of a modern day spin on a Friends album track, right down to the keyboard sound and guitar,  The single version was pumped up slightly and fun to hear but tanked as a single.  TWGMTR was a hit so I'm not quite sure why Isn't It Time would have been a better choice considering it followed it and never charted.

I think "Isn't It Time" tanking also had a good part to do with the band not really doing much to promote it, since it came out at a mighty awkward time in the C50 timeframe. I almost feel like there was going to be a push to promote the song (after all, the band went out of their way to re-record parts of it for a single version, but didn't follow through with much, if any promo effort when it got released - that always struck me as very odd).

I think timing is/was a good part of it, but perhaps it would've fared not much better if it had been the lead single.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2014, 05:02:26 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
bluesno1fann
« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2014, 05:18:15 PM »

Let Him Run Wild
I'm Going Your Way
It's About Time
Hard Times
Maybe I Don't Know
I Do Love You
Nicko1234
« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2014, 05:39:10 PM »

Country Pie is a very good shout. A very commercial singalong song.

Little Honda is an obvious choice.

Something clearly went very wrong in 1970 as The Beach Boys disappeared off the charts completely all over the world. Maybe Forever or Good Time would have been better choices as lead single. Probably partly due to the record labels though...

Male Ego would have required another verse I think.

Spring Vacation is easily the catchiest song on TWGMTR but it would have required some lyrical revisions (and a Spring release obviously) to stand a chance of success.

Lahaina Aloha should have been the single on SIP.

Moon Dawg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2014, 05:46:06 PM »

Back in 1980 I saw The Beach Boys play KTSA on Fridays and assumed it had to be their new single.

Wish they had released ""KTSA" as the lead single about June 1980, put the album out in July, with "Goin' On" coming out as the second 45 around September. Meanwhile, we can also wish Bruce had convinced the band to lose "Some of Your Love", "Sunshine", and "When Girls Get Together", to be replaced by "Still I Dream Of It", "California Feeling" and something by Dennis, maybe "Love Remember Me" as Bambu wasn't actually happening by 1980.

I do like "Honkin' Down the Highway" as the single for Love You, but it did not come out until about a month after the LP and received very little promotion. Warners' knew the band was leaving and couldn't care less, but the tune had a bit of chart potential.

Could "Baby Blue" have been a nice A side? I think so.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2014, 05:50:05 PM by Moon Dawg » Logged
Moon Dawg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2014, 05:47:27 PM »

Denny's "School Girl" coulda been a contender.

I think. It sounds to me like it was absolutely written with intentional commercial potential and radio airplay in mind, moreso than any other DW recording I can think of.

Agreed. Maybe some of the lyrics would have been changed but the same thought has crossed my mind too.
Nicko1234
« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2014, 06:04:58 PM »

Back in 1980 I saw The Beach Boys play KTSA on Fridays and assumed it had to be their new single.

Wish they had released ""KTSA" as the lead single about June 1980, put the album out in July, with "Goin' On" coming out as the second 45 around September. Meanwhile, we can also wish Bruce had convinced the band to lose "Some of Your Love", "Sunshine", and "When Girls Get Together", to be replaced by "Still I Dream Of It", "California Feeling" and something by Dennis, maybe "Love Remember Me" as Bambu wasn't actually happening by 1980.

I do like "Honkin' Down the Highway" as the single for Love You, but it did not come out until about a month after the LP and received very little promotion. Warners' knew the band was leaving and couldn't care less, but the tune had a bit of chart potential.

Could "Baby Blue" have been a nice A side? I think so.

I think Brian and Dennis might have had something to say about that...
Nicko1234
« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2014, 06:05:31 PM »

Maybe it`s just me but I don`t hear anything commercial about School Girl.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx