gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680770 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 23, 2024, 05:29:54 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Newly-discovered unreleased Carl track  (Read 6102 times)
PongHit
Smiley Smile Associate

AVOID MISSING BALL FOR HIGH SCORE • JeffWinner.com

View Profile WWW
« on: April 07, 2014, 01:41:07 PM »

Billy Hinsche just posted this:

This just arrived on my desk: a newly discovered, never-before-heard track written and recorded by The Sweet Inspirations' Myrna Smith and CARL WILSON - it is a stunner of a ballad in the spirit of Carl's classic recording of "Heaven" ... !

''Only more damage can arise from this temporary, fleeting image of success known as The Beach Boys.''
—MURRY WILSON

''People are thinking Mike Love is crazy.''
—MIKE LOVE

''Mike Love? He's Crazy.''
—BRIAN WILSON
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2014, 01:50:06 PM »

Carl produced an unreleased album for Myrna back in the 80s. This may be from that, perchance.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2014, 01:52:23 PM »

Another long lost album… oh boy!

“We live in divisive times.”
lee
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2014, 02:30:26 PM »

Hopefully it will get released at some point. The more Carl, the better.
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2014, 02:32:56 PM »

Hopefully this will be released along with that archival project Billy's working on for Carl.
Seems an appropriate place for it.
The 4th Wilson Bro.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2014, 02:38:23 PM »

Hopefully this will be released along with that archival project Billy's working on for Carl.

I certainly hope so.  By the way, would you mind filling me in on the "archival project" Billy's working on?  I apologize if this has already been discussed on smileysmile.  If it was, I missed it.
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2014, 05:37:14 PM »

Sounds good, hope the right people get it so we all can hear it.

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2014, 05:40:12 PM »

I certainly hope so.  By the way, would you mind filling me in on the "archival project" Billy's working on?  I apologize if this has already been discussed on smileysmile.  If it was, I missed it.

Sorry, I have zero details or info on the project. A Mr. Manning happened to see a Facebook post on the subject that was relatively brief and shared it here.

Edit: I found it:
an archival Carl release coming

Ooh, I haven't heard about this. Care to share any details?

Billy Hinsche stated on FB Sunday that a major label is in touch with him re. a Carl solo release project. Nothing more known at this stage…

Ring out those Solstice bells!
« Last Edit: April 07, 2014, 05:48:25 PM by Bubbly Waves » Logged
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2014, 05:48:15 PM »

In this day and age this should not stay unreleased for too long.

They have endless ways of releasing it

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2014, 05:57:39 PM »

In this day and age this should not stay unreleased for too long.

They have endless ways of releasing it

This is true of about 500 other Beach Boys recordings, too, which won't see release anytime soon. Sad

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2014, 08:56:45 PM »

Happy Dance Love Happy Dance
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2014, 10:54:21 PM »

I was told by a fan on facebook that Billy is working to get both of Carl's solo albums released as a double cd. Youngblood finally came out on a cd a couple years ago, as far as I know the only time his first album was on cd was an expensive Japanese cd in the early 90's.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2014, 06:47:39 AM »

It’s a longshot for numerous reasons, but it would be cool if they could release, either as part of an album set, or separately, a good-sounding recording of Carl’s 1981 live gig at “My Father’s Place.” I’ve listened to that show, and frankly the solo album tracks sound better on that live recording than they do on the actual album. The studio recordings are a bit sterile and lifeless, but they sound much more energetic and dynamic on that live recording.

It was a bit puzzling that “Youngblood” was issued on CD a few years ago ahead of the earlier self-titled solo album, and of course subsequently they haven’t released the first album. I don’t know if it was easier to license the second album, or if they just felt “What You Do To Me” was by default the most successful or recognizable Carl solo single or something. I always figured, for better or worse, “Heaven” by virtue of being the most “Beach Boys” sounding track, would hook buyers more than anything else, and thus they’d issue that album first.

I think Carl’s two solo albums fit on one disc, so they could do a 2-disc set of Carl’s solo stuff and throw some bonus tracks on there. I’m just not sure what is available that is clearly “solo” Carl material. Maybe they could just license from BRI some Carl-centric stuff from unreleased BB sessions to throw on there. Longshot, I know.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2014, 07:50:21 AM »

I like Youngblood; I think it's a good album. Strong songwriting, good production, and maybe the best vocals Carl ever did for an album. I usually rank it No. 2 (behind Pacific Ocean Blue) on BB solo album polls.

I continue to be mystified how/why ALL Beach Boys-related albums (like the Celebration ones we've ben discussing) or singles don't get released in some form or package. There aren't many "bigger" groups in the history of rock & roll. If it were The Beatles...
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2014, 09:19:54 AM »

Carl Wilson runs 35:30 & Youngblood without the bonus track runs 38:25. So yeah, both would fit on one CD at 73:56.

I think maybe the issue with "Carl Wilson" is who owns the album? I remember posting about this a year or two ago, and what I found on the LPs was that "Carl Wilson" had a Brother Records logo, along with Caribou while "Youngblood" was solely a Caribou release. 

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2014, 01:30:10 AM »

Wonder if he did any more traks with Tom Petty for Wildflowers, since it's going to be rereleased with a CD of other songs recorded at the time...
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2014, 01:30:44 AM »

Wonder if he did any more tracks with Tom Petty for Wildflowers, since it's going to be rereleased with a CD of other songs recorded at the time...
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2014, 12:23:54 PM »

I remember Billy Hinsche posting on facebook that at least one o Carl's soloalbum will be re-released on a major label. But since I haven't heard anything about it on this board I begin to wonder if I dreamed about that (not that a re-release of those albums would be a dreame come true for me)

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2014, 01:00:40 PM »

Carl produced an unreleased album for Myrna back in the 80s. This may be from that, perchance.

Carl and Myrna also collaborated for songs on Carl's two solo albums and BB85. This could be from anything. Unless there's other information?

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Theydon Bois
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2014, 01:35:29 PM »

I continue to be mystified how/why ALL Beach Boys-related albums (like the Celebration ones we've ben discussing) or singles don't get released in some form or package. There aren't many "bigger" groups in the history of rock & roll. If it were The Beatles...

... then we'd probably all be discussing why there hasn't been an official DVD of "Let It Be" or why Live At The Hollywood Bowl never came out on CD.  I know we're a put-upon bunch, but we shouldn't need to pretend that the grass is absolutely always greener.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2014, 10:45:48 PM »

Carl Wilson runs 35:30 & Youngblood without the bonus track runs 38:25. So yeah, both would fit on one CD at 73:56.

Don't give them ideas - the twofer thing was gross.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2014, 12:30:28 AM »

It’s a longshot for numerous reasons, but it would be cool if they could release, either as part of an album set, or separately, a good-sounding recording of Carl’s 1981 live gig at “My Father’s Place.” I’ve listened to that show, and frankly the solo album tracks sound better on that live recording than they do on the actual album. The studio recordings are a bit sterile and lifeless, but they sound much more energetic and dynamic on that live recording.

It was a bit puzzling that “Youngblood” was issued on CD a few years ago ahead of the earlier self-titled solo album, and of course subsequently they haven’t released the first album. I don’t know if it was easier to license the second album, or if they just felt “What You Do To Me” was by default the most successful or recognizable Carl solo single or something. I always figured, for better or worse, “Heaven” by virtue of being the most “Beach Boys” sounding track, would hook buyers more than anything else, and thus they’d issue that album first.

I think Carl’s two solo albums fit on one disc, so they could do a 2-disc set of Carl’s solo stuff and throw some bonus tracks on there. I’m just not sure what is available that is clearly “solo” Carl material. Maybe they could just license from BRI some Carl-centric stuff from unreleased BB sessions to throw on there. Longshot, I know.

I have a couple of cassettes of Carl live, I think one might by My Father's Place; the other is from The Bottom Line. Those songs rock so much harder live than on record, he really had a killer band backing him up. Hoping someone has a professional recording from one of Carl's tours, it was such a gutsy move, going out on his own, and NOT doing Beach Boys tunes.
metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2014, 03:40:23 AM »

I have a couple of cassettes of Carl live, I think one might by My Father's Place; the other is from The Bottom Line. Those songs rock so much harder live than on record, he really had a killer band backing him up. Hoping someone has a professional recording from one of Carl's tours, it was such a gutsy move, going out on his own, and NOT doing Beach Boys tunes.

Well, apart from "Long Promised Road," "Feel Flows," and "Darlin'" Wink

"Quit screaming and start singing from your hearts, huh?" Murry Wilson, March 1965.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2014, 08:53:07 AM »

As far as I know, he only did LPR on his solo tour. When and where did he ever do Feel Flows or Darlin'?

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 13, 2014, 01:13:20 PM »

As far as I know, he only did LPR on his solo tour. When and where did he ever do Feel Flows or Darlin'?
Carl never did "Feel Flows" on his solo tours. "Darlin" popped up in the set list when he was opening for the Doobies - but he was NOT doing a BB's GH show.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx