gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 09:52:42 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 Go Down Print
Author Topic: I heard "________" in the grocery aisle.  (Read 54085 times)
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #150 on: December 31, 2015, 03:54:46 AM »

The Mrs. heard a "Muzak" version of "Surf's Up" at the local Mariano's last wek.

Anybody familiar with that version and can name the artist?

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
thatjacob
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #151 on: January 14, 2016, 09:48:01 AM »

The Mrs. heard a "Muzak" version of "Surf's Up" at the local Mariano's last wek.
I heard a muzak version of Surf's Up as well in a doctors' office waiting room around September as well.
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #152 on: January 14, 2016, 10:23:04 AM »

I heard a muzak version of Surf's Up as well in a doctors' office waiting room around September as well.

Yep, I've heard that one, too - about 22 years ago, in the hallway at work. These days, it's all Adult Contemporary and Oldies, but in those days, it was still honest-to-God muzak. "Sail On Sailor" is another one I'd hear now and again. But I think I only heard "Surf's Up" that once.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #153 on: March 08, 2016, 09:43:36 AM »

And excellent songs at that.  Sadly, their songs from that era don't usually get heard on mainstream radio as much as their early stuff.  Oh, excepting of course Kokomo.
Here, it's "California Dreamin'". Whenever they say "& now we'll play the BBs", I know what it is. These guys are living legends, yet the radio will seek out some long-forgotten band nobody heard of & play 5 various songs by them. Iron logic.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
Wrightfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #154 on: March 08, 2016, 02:28:52 PM »

Few weeks back coming of a diner I heard "Saturday Night." That was odd.
beatle608
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #155 on: March 08, 2016, 08:51:44 PM »

Anybody familiar with that version and can name the artist?

I work at a Metro Market in Milwaukee (modeled after Mariano's and owned by Bob Mariano) and they only play muzak over the speakers. I have heard Warmth Of The Sun and Surfer Girl, but I'm sure they play more that I've missed. I've also heard Junk (by Paul McCartney), Mother Nature's Son, When I'm Sixty Four, and many, many, other horrible instrumentals.

Brian introduced The Little Girl I Once Knew by saying that the first two notes sounded "Chinese," but not to worry because the rest of the song was "American."    
Matt H
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #156 on: March 10, 2016, 10:50:32 AM »

Just heard a musak version of "Disney Girls" at a banquet hall in Mason Ohio where I will be for a charity event tonight.
B.E.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #157 on: December 12, 2016, 04:16:15 PM »

I was pleasantly surprised to hear Blue Christmas at the mall today.

I also enjoyed discovering this short-lived Christmas themed thread from 2011. I'd be stunned to hear some of those songs in public! http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,11903.0.html

There's also a similar thread here, if interested...
http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,9802.0.html

Oh, I heard I Can Hear Music in an airport a few weeks ago. Not an unpopular song, but not among their most popular either.

Every wave is new until it breaks.
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #158 on: December 12, 2016, 08:03:03 PM »

in the stores and on the radio I've heard "Little Saint Nick" and "The Man With All The Toys" countless times...however, I heard "Christmas Day" today while in the car...I don't think I've EVER heard that on the radio before!
wantsomecorn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #159 on: December 13, 2016, 12:51:30 AM »

Last year at Goodwill I heard Brian's version of "We Wish You a Merry Christmas". I've never listened to his christmas album all the way through, so I didn't actually recognize it at first, all I could think was "wow, this is really awful".

On a better note, a CD One-Price Dry Cleaners was playing the BBs "Santa Claus is Coming to Town", which I stayed behind to listen to, even though I was halfway out the door when it started playing.

On our way through this "backstage" maze, Bruce joined up with the group and said hello, singing "It Never Rains in Southern California" and joking with some of the older ladies. I'm not sure if they knew he was a Beach Boy or simply an enthusiastic elderly gay gentleman.
William Bowe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #160 on: December 13, 2016, 12:56:17 AM »

Just heard a musak version of "Disney Girls" at a banquet hall in Mason Ohio where I will be for a charity event tonight.
But there's already a muzak version of Disney Girls on Surf's Up.
hideyotsuburaya
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #161 on: December 13, 2016, 11:32:27 AM »

most of us here would be stopped dead in our tracks if we heard

VEGA-TABLES

in the gro......make that produce aisle
CJS
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #162 on: December 13, 2016, 01:50:02 PM »

"Heroes and Villains" at WalMart last week
SMiLE-addict
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #163 on: December 13, 2016, 03:12:47 PM »

I was in a Coach store (of all places!) in the mall today and heard ... I'm not actually sure. It was one of the more obscure (and mediocre) songs from their Christmas album, but I wasn't sure which one it was, to be honest. I think it was either "Christmas Day" or "Merry Christmas, Baby." Or perhaps "Santa's Beard?" Or, did they ever do any Christmas songs that weren't on that album? At any rate I think it's the most obscure BB song I've ever heard in a public place, to the extent that even I didn't know which song it was! But it was definitely the BB's, and it was definitely a Christmas song.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2016, 03:14:38 PM by SMiLE-addict » Logged
hideyotsuburaya
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #164 on: December 20, 2016, 11:23:40 AM »

CHRISTMAS DAY, not once but twice

first while pumping gas into my car at a Speedway about 2 weeks ago, over their outside PA

2nd, just last night while pumping gas AT THE SAME SPEEDWAY station!  Al Jardine's 1st lead vocal once again!

I guess if there's any time of year for that kind of coincidence to occur it is now (maybe the manager's a beach boys fan)
Cool Cool Water
Smiley Smile Associate

Don't Edit Yourself

View Profile WWW
« Reply #165 on: December 20, 2016, 01:49:43 PM »

Little Saint Nick this morning in Tesco.  LOL
joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #166 on: December 21, 2016, 09:16:28 AM »

I have been hearing "Man with all the toys" A LOT this year, more than "LSN"  LOL ... I also heard "Christmas day" once at the thrift store..
jiggy22
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #167 on: December 21, 2016, 09:49:58 AM »

I've heard "Little Saint Nick" about five times in the past day, it's even playing on the music station while I'm writing this comment! I also heard "Merry Christmas, Baby" out in public for the first time while at K-Mart.

Do happy happy happy Mission Pak singing sound!

My blog, where I post my original Beach Boys mixes and whatnot:
http://www.jiggy22.blogspot.com
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #168 on: December 24, 2016, 04:42:22 AM »

Not the grocery store, but about half an hour into NPR's The Splendid Table, they exited a segment about a vegetarian holiday meal with, you guessed it, "Vegatables." Not sure of the version though: it wasn't BBs/BW.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
pdas1996
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #169 on: December 24, 2016, 05:05:06 PM »

Not the grocery store, but about half an hour into NPR's The Splendid Table, they exited a segment about a vegetarian holiday meal with, you guessed it, "Vegatables." Not sure of the version though: it wasn't BBs/BW.

It could've been Laughing Gravy (Jan & Dean).
Senator Blutarsky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #170 on: December 24, 2016, 08:34:06 PM »

Little Saint Nick.

Instruments were played in Aisle 3 where the cereal is at and vocals over at the produce section at the other side of the store.   Grin
NateRuvin
Smiley Smile Associate

"I had to prove that I could make it alone"...

View Profile
« Reply #171 on: December 27, 2016, 03:59:07 PM »

I was at a surf shop in LA yesterday and heard "Karate" and "Surfin".
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #172 on: February 05, 2017, 08:27:53 AM »

While buying wine yesterday, I heard "Let's Go Away For Awhile". I'm gonna request it next time I go there.  Wink

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #173 on: February 06, 2017, 09:11:24 PM »

While riding with a relative that has XM radio, I heard "Do it Again" and "Marcella" on the Classic Vinyl channel. I was pleasantly surprised!
Scaroline No
« Reply #174 on: March 01, 2017, 06:51:43 PM »

God Only Knows on The Path, season 2 episode 7 (I think?) Cool usage too, with Aaron Paul and his TV daughter singing along to it in the car and then the music getting all distorted.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx