gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 10:17:52 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 9 Go Down Print
Author Topic: I heard "________" in the grocery aisle.  (Read 54086 times)
37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: April 09, 2014, 09:43:33 AM »

I used to hear "Your Imagination" a lot. A friend of mine yesterday heard "Break Away" at a Shop Rite in Connecticut.

Heard "Make A Wish" on "Best Buy Radio" in the store when GIOMH was first released.

Probably the most surprising ones for me:
- A few years ago heard "Only With You" from the 2008 POB reissue at Myopic Books in Chicago. They were obviously playing the entire disc because I also heard the instrumental "Holy Man."

- I know this isn't QUITE the same, but...Christmas 2004....my wife and I took a trip to Chicago. We THOUGHT we had brought Smile with us. When we picked up the rental car, my wife took out Smile and...saw that it was just the jewel case -- the CD was still in our player back home! We were so pissed! When we were back at ORD waiting for our return flight, my wife said, "If I didn't know any better, I'd swear I'm hearing 'Song For Children' right now!" Then I heard it! The guy sitting behind us at the gate was listening to it over headphones! I walked over to him, flagged his attention, opened my jacket (revealing the Smile t-shirt I was wearing), and said, "Just wanted to compliment you on your taste in music."

- Where I used to live they had a car show every summer down by the river that was a block away. (They still do the car show, I believe.) Woke up to the strains of "In My Car" blasting from their speakers.

- And this has GOT to be the one to end ALL of it: some years ago when my wife and I were in a small store at the Jersey shore, they had a radio tuned to one of those easy-listening-to-not-scare-the-elderly stations. All of a sudden, we hear: "Judy, Judy, Juuuuuuuudy boppa Judy..." and I think I damaged the glass counter because of how hard my jaw dropped! They were playing "Judy" on that radio station!!! The clerk said that the station played that song a lot for some reason. Only explanation I could think of was that whoever was in charge of the music at that station wanted to keep costs low, get a Beach Boys CD for cheap, and found one of the dozens of cheap-o Morgan-era compilations.

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
Tablevega
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 09, 2014, 01:49:18 PM »

There's a UK radio quiz about the news which plays music before some questions to illustrate the theme.  About ten years ago it was doing a question about new nutritional guidelines and it played a healthy chunk of Vega-Tables.  I didn't know the song then but thought it was amazing.  Imagine my pleasure when I discovered it on Smiley Smile (hence my name). 

"Ten years Ago"? My dad told me about this occuring the other day!

Also, I heard Santa's Beard in morrisons... followed by a COVER of Little saint nick  Grin

The News Quiz goes in quite a lot for repetition of old material - look at Jeremy Hardy's jokes.  There must be a long-time fan in the News Quiz office who brought it out again.   Off to catch up with the new episodes now( I have them all on podcast).
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 09, 2014, 08:46:38 PM »

I heard "I Can Hear Music" at the DMV a few weeks ago!
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 10, 2014, 04:20:03 AM »

I heard Mt Vernon and Fairway at Penney's. Then I woke up.  Cool Guy

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
Quzi
Smiley Smile Associate

Eagerly awaiting tHe BeDRoOM TaPES

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 10, 2014, 07:13:09 PM »

I heard Little Surfer Girl from the GV Boxset playing over the PA before a Weezer concert.

"A/S/L"?
"Age:24. That's when Brian Wilson made Pet Sounds. Sex: Brian Wilson was having loads of sex with Marilyn when he made Pet Sounds. Location: Gold Star Studios, where Brian Wilson assembled with the Wrecking Crew to make Pet Sounds. Hbu?"
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 10, 2014, 07:47:03 PM »

I'm watching the movie Mud (With Matthew McConaughey) on Netflix and bam "Help Me Rhonda" starts playing, it also played over the closing credits.

I did not see a Beach Boys song being featured so prominently in that kind of film, set in the deep south  

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
stack-o-tracks
Smiley Smile Associate

The baker man

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 12, 2014, 05:18:23 AM »

I was at the Mexican market down the street from my work (ordered a burrito that day) and Don't Worry Baby was playing over the speakers. Was strange cause they usually have on the Spanish stations. Have heard oldies playing a few more times at that place, but haven't heard any Beach Boys.

No mas, por favor.
stack-o-tracks
Smiley Smile Associate

The baker man

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 12, 2014, 05:24:09 AM »

I used to hear "Your Imagination" a lot. A friend of mine yesterday heard "Break Away" at a Shop Rite in Connecticut.

- I know this isn't QUITE the same, but...Christmas 2004....my wife and I took a trip to Chicago. We THOUGHT we had brought Smile with us. When we picked up the rental car, my wife took out Smile and...saw that it was just the jewel case -- the CD was still in our player back home! We were so pissed! When we were back at ORD waiting for our return flight, my wife said, "If I didn't know any better, I'd swear I'm hearing 'Song For Children' right now!" Then I heard it! The guy sitting behind us at the gate was listening to it over headphones! I walked over to him, flagged his attention, opened my jacket (revealing the Smile t-shirt I was wearing), and said, "Just wanted to compliment you on your taste in music."

I love the fact that your wife could identify a relatively obscure Beach Boys songs over some guy's headphones. Gives me hope that I, too, can someday find the perfect woman to marry.

No mas, por favor.
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 12, 2014, 06:44:02 AM »

I heard "The Warmth of The Sun" at a local burger joint (Gino's) last night....wasn't expecting that one!
joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 12, 2014, 04:19:22 PM »

Little st nick.... everywhere over and over again during Christmas time..
halblaineisgood
« Reply #35 on: April 12, 2014, 05:44:32 PM »

« Last Edit: December 30, 2014, 08:05:16 PM by halblaineisgood » Logged
The Dumb Angel
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 12, 2014, 06:00:54 PM »

I was at an Italian restaurant tonight which was playing a bunch of smooth jazz and out of no where, "The Warmth Of The Sun" starts playing. It was a very nice and pleasant surprise to hear it get played.
halblaineisgood
« Reply #37 on: April 12, 2014, 08:49:09 PM »

« Last Edit: December 30, 2014, 09:53:18 PM by halblaineisgood » Logged
feelsflow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 14, 2014, 12:34:06 PM »

Heard "Make A Wish" on "Best Buy Radio" in the store when GIOMH was first released.

Probably the most surprising ones for me:
- A few years ago heard "Only With You" from the 2008 POB reissue at Myopic Books in Chicago. They were obviously playing the entire disc because I also heard the instrumental "Holy Man."

- Where I used to live they had a car show every summer down by the river that was a block away. (They still do the car show, I believe.) Woke up to the strains of "In My Car" blasting from their speakers.

- And this has GOT to be the one to end ALL of it: some years ago when my wife and I were in a small store at the Jersey shore, they had a radio tuned to one of those easy-listening-to-not-scare-the-elderly stations. All of a sudden, we hear: "Judy, Judy, Juuuuuuuudy boppa Judy..." and I think I damaged the glass counter because of how hard my jaw dropped! They were playing "Judy" on that radio station!!! The clerk said that the station played that song a lot for some reason. Only explanation I could think of was that whoever was in charge of the music at that station wanted to keep costs low, get a Beach Boys CD for cheap, and found one of the dozens of cheap-o Morgan-era compilations.
Great post.  Brought a smile to my face...Travels with 37!ws and wife.

...if you are honest - you have no idea where childhood ends and maturity begins.  It is all endless and all one.  ~ P.L. Travers        And, let's get this out of the way now, everything I post is my opinion.  ~ Will
bluesno1fann
« Reply #39 on: May 31, 2014, 11:09:19 PM »

Around a week ago or so when I was in Japan, I went to this local shopping centre. When I walked in, the song that was playing was to my surprise, Still Cruisin'. There was this group of people dancing in this small area inside, and they were dancing to that song. I didn't pay attention to them much, but it was a pleasant surprise.

Another time, quite a while ago I was at another shopping centre, and Isn't It Time was playing. I also heard the chorus to Help Me Rhonda while walking past a store in the middle of the city (Melbourne).
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #40 on: June 01, 2014, 01:18:02 AM »

Steve Wright on BBC Radio 2 is always - always - playing Santa Ana Winds, of all songs. It seems at least every other day or so.

Alas, not the superior unreleased bootleg version...
ToneBender631
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 01, 2014, 04:44:44 AM »

A friend texted me the other day to tell me he heard Surf's Up (BWPS) in BJ's Wholesale Club...That one struck me as being more than a little odd...
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 01, 2014, 04:57:19 AM »

A friend texted me the other day to tell me he heard Surf's Up (BWPS) in BJ's Wholesale Club...That one struck me as being more than a little odd...
Bruce Johnston has a Wholesale Club?

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
ToneBender631
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 01, 2014, 05:01:10 AM »

Bruce Johnston has a Wholesale Club?

Gotta have something on the back burner for when Mike eventually dials it down to only 280 shows a year...
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 01, 2014, 05:34:13 AM »

Steve Wright on BBC Radio 2 is always - always - playing Santa Ana Winds, of all songs. It seems at least every other day or so.

Alas, not the superior unreleased bootleg version...
To me, that version is infinitely inferior. Either way, nice choice, though. I wish we had radio station playing SAW every day.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: June 01, 2014, 07:14:40 AM »

I heard "I Can Hear Music" at a pizza restaurant yesterday, I think it was the Sirius XM 60s on 6 station, they play a lot of Beach Boys.

job
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 01, 2014, 09:49:15 AM »

Used to hear Your Imagination quite a bit at VONS/Safeway.

Recently heard Feel Flows at CVS.
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: June 08, 2014, 12:27:56 AM »

I mentioned this in another thread, but thought it would be worth mentioning here too because it was so random and amazing. Last night at the bowling alley, I heard "Hot Fun In The Summertime". I don't think I've ever heard anything off of the Summer In Paradise album in any public setting ever, and all indications pointed to that remaining the case. Little did I know that as I was getting ready to bowl with friends in 2014, that my theory would be turned upside down.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2014, 12:33:05 AM by Eric Aniversario » Logged
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: June 08, 2014, 12:34:14 AM »

Around a week ago or so when I was in Japan, I went to this local shopping centre. When I walked in, the song that was playing was to my surprise, Still Cruisin'. There was this group of people dancing in this small area inside, and they were dancing to that song. I didn't pay attention to them much, but it was a pleasant surprise.

Another time, quite a while ago I was at another shopping centre, and Isn't It Time was playing. I also heard the chorus to Help Me Rhonda while walking past a store in the middle of the city (Melbourne).

Still Cruisin is the jam! I would've danced with them! Or at least videotaped them dancing!
Quzi
Smiley Smile Associate

Eagerly awaiting tHe BeDRoOM TaPES

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 08, 2014, 01:05:20 AM »

Now that the Harlem Shake has come and gone, I propose the void be filled with the Still Cruisin' Wobble.

"A/S/L"?
"Age:24. That's when Brian Wilson made Pet Sounds. Sex: Brian Wilson was having loads of sex with Marilyn when he made Pet Sounds. Location: Gold Star Studios, where Brian Wilson assembled with the Wrecking Crew to make Pet Sounds. Hbu?"
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 9 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx