gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 10:19:39 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 Go Down Print
Author Topic: I heard "________" in the grocery aisle.  (Read 54112 times)
WickedWaters
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: October 28, 2014, 12:16:20 PM »

I heard "Melt Away" playing in a Denny's restraurant the other day.
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #101 on: October 28, 2014, 01:05:29 PM »

(Still not as rare as when I heard "Judy" on a radio station in a small shop. Smiley  )
Believe it or not, I've heard Judy played before, at least once. I think it was at a kmart or some store like that. One time they played something from either MIU or the 70s Christmas album and I remember being surprised. I think it was Christmas time is here again or Peggy sue.
Bittersweet-Sanity
Smiley Smile Associate

Busy Doin' Nothing

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: June 15, 2015, 02:25:05 AM »

yesterday at work (i work at a trader joe's actually) i heard the familiar strings of a banjo being plucked...it was Saturday Night! 

"It looks like I'm going to have to go bananas all by myself." -B.W.

"Dr. Landy and Brian Wilson are right out of a storybook." -Brian Wilson

"So maybe Beach Boys fans are stupid and we can dismiss the whole thing. But maybe that's a pretty snotty attitude to take; maybe something is happening here that we just ought to know about" -Paul Williams

"Brian is an enigma, a leprechaun," said rhythm guitarist Al Jardine.

"There ain't a rocketship powerfull enough to be able to blast Jeff's fat ass into space."-Mike's Beard
pudge104
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: June 15, 2015, 04:42:49 AM »

Heard Spirit of America, Pom Pom Play Girl and Long Tall Texan in a Mexican restaurant in Louisville yesterday.
KDS
« Reply #104 on: June 15, 2015, 06:22:24 AM »

When I was at the Reds game a few weeks ago they played Don't Worry Baby on the organ before the game started.

This was a long time ago. 

I attended my first Opening Day in 1994.  My hometown Orioles were playing the then lowly Kansas City Royals and took a 6-1 lead into the ninth. 

The bullpen gave up some runs, and the tying run came to the plate.  When newly acquired closer Lee Smith was summoned to get the last two guys, the soothing sounds of Don't Worry Baby were played over the PA.  It must've worked, as Lee Smith recorded the last two outs with ease to secure the victory. 
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: June 15, 2015, 07:55:04 AM »

Funny there have so many sightings (or hearings) lately...I heard "Don't Worry Baby" yesterday...IN THE GROCERY AISLE! LOL
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: June 15, 2015, 04:34:42 PM »

There is a Beach-themed restaurant in my town that is always playing the Beach Boys.  They will often play semi-rare stuff too, like Getcha Back, In My Car, Marcella, etc. sometimes in the same night.  Food isn't bad either.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2015, 04:37:07 PM by southbay » Logged

Summer's gone...it's finally sinking in
Matt H
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: June 15, 2015, 07:09:42 PM »

There is a Beach-themed restaurant in my town that is always playing the Beach Boys.  They will often play semi-rare stuff too, like Getcha Back, In My Car, Marcella, etc. sometimes in the same night.  Food isn't bad either.

Where, and what is this restaurant?
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #108 on: June 16, 2015, 01:33:11 AM »

Heard Spirit of America, Pom Pom Play Girl and Long Tall Texan in a Mexican restaurant in Louisville yesterday.

Wow! I've never heard any of those anywhere public! Did they play well-known Beach Boys songs as well?
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: June 16, 2015, 08:13:28 AM »

There is a Beach-themed restaurant in my town that is always playing the Beach Boys.  They will often play semi-rare stuff too, like Getcha Back, In My Car, Marcella, etc. sometimes in the same night.  Food isn't bad either.

You demand to know? Coconut Joe's, Bakersfield CA

Matt H
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: June 16, 2015, 08:31:52 AM »

There is a Beach-themed restaurant in my town that is always playing the Beach Boys.  They will often play semi-rare stuff too, like Getcha Back, In My Car, Marcella, etc. sometimes in the same night.  Food isn't bad either.

Sorry, I didn't mean to be demanding, that place sounds cool.
NateRuvin
Smiley Smile Associate

"I had to prove that I could make it alone"...

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: June 16, 2015, 08:35:53 AM »

Once I was at a grocery store and I heard Still Surfin' from the SIP album. That was a strange experience.
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: June 16, 2015, 08:50:59 AM »

Sorry, I didn't mean to be demanding, that place sounds cool.

I didn't take it that way, I was joking.

undercover-m
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: June 16, 2015, 09:30:21 PM »

That sounds amazing! :D

I work at a grocery store, so I guess I have an advantage... I've put on my iPod on the speakers when they let me. I put Vegetables on a playlist.
I've also played some lesser-known Pet Sounds and Wild Honey songs, as well as Surf's Up.

"We are pushed to the wall as the heap fills the room to its limits. The window breaks. The house bursts. A heartbreakingly fine Scotch plaid passes before our eyes. Pinstripes carry us into Manhasset Bay."
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #114 on: June 16, 2015, 11:10:02 PM »

I work at a grocery store, so I guess I have an advantage... I've put on my iPod on the speakers when they let me. I put Vegetables on a playlist.
I've also played some lesser-known Pet Sounds and Wild Honey songs, as well as Surf's Up.

I love it when I have control over the music! At a coffee house La Jolla and a Japanese restaurant in Clairemont, I would keep rare Beach Boys stuff in rotation. One night, I waited on a young couple at the Japanese restaurant, and they asked me about the music. I think I was playing the 1993 Live In Lorelei boot. Turns out the guy was a big fan. I told him about the setlist archive and wrote down the link for him to visit.
undercover-m
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: June 21, 2015, 09:51:46 PM »

That's awesome! It's always fun to share a love for music like that.

I haven't gotten many comments on my playlist from customers yet, but my coworkers love me :D

"We are pushed to the wall as the heap fills the room to its limits. The window breaks. The house bursts. A heartbreakingly fine Scotch plaid passes before our eyes. Pinstripes carry us into Manhasset Bay."
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #116 on: June 22, 2015, 03:21:19 AM »

I'd expect to hear "Vegetables" in a grocery store! Like a not-so-subliminal marketing tool! If it's a HEALTHY grocery store, you should put on "HELP Is On The Way" and "Too Much Sugar" sometime. Smiley
marcusb
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: June 24, 2015, 11:04:56 AM »

At Kroger's yesterday I heard "Full Sail"
undercover-m
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: June 25, 2015, 11:58:08 PM »

I'd expect to hear "Vegetables" in a grocery store! Like a not-so-subliminal marketing tool! If it's a HEALTHY grocery store, you should put on "HELP Is On The Way" and "Too Much Sugar" sometime. Smiley
We're kind of healthy? But we also sell booze and desserts (everything in moderation, right?)

One of my co-workers said he wasn't a fan of the Beach Boys, although he said he likes Pet Sounds and Smiley Smile well enough... Maybe I'll convince him.

Also, one of my customers recognized Heroes and Villains (the bonus version on the Smiley Smile/Wild Honey).
It made me so happy! I guess his girlfriend didn't recognize it and then he went on to saying how Smile was this abandoned project by Brian Wilson and I was so happy that he knew about that! I told them to go watch Love and Mercy :D

Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #119 on: June 26, 2015, 12:41:30 AM »

At Kroger's yesterday I heard "Full Sail"

What!! That is amazing...I don't know if I've ever heard any L.A. track anywhere, besides Good Timin.
wild neon sins
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #120 on: July 11, 2015, 01:45:46 PM »

Just heard  (@20 minutes ago) The Right Time in the local Co-Op (South West of England) . They play obvious Beach Boys tracks sometimes on the in store radio station, heard Dance Dance Dance the other week & the only place I heard That's Why God Made The Radio when it came out.

"And suddenly I find myself, listening to a man I've never known before,
Telling me about the sea..."

Looking for contributions for a Dennis fanzine
https://denniswilsonzine.tumblr.com
Rob Dean
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: July 11, 2015, 02:04:22 PM »

Just heard  (@20 minutes ago) The Right Time in the local Co-Op (South West of England) . They play obvious Beach Boys tracks sometimes on the in store radio station, heard Dance Dance Dance the other week & the only place I heard That's Why God Made The Radio when it came out.

The South West of the UK IS the hotbed of BB's fandom  Grin
Seriously up here in little old Berkeley (Gloucestershire) there is one pub (I add we have 4 pubs) that I go into and when they see me coming they put the 3CD Platinum Collection on random play just for me on their in-house PA , bit weird though when one minute its 'God Only Knows' followed by 'Student Demonstration Time'
The Cincinnati Kid
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: July 14, 2015, 01:29:16 PM »

MLB Network just played Susie Cincinnati going to break.  Definitely convinced they have a Beach Boys fan over there. (they played Feel Flows the day Jack Rieley died)
37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #123 on: July 14, 2015, 02:14:58 PM »

Years ago I went to an artsy puppet show at a gallery in the River North section of downtown Chicago. The music between acts included brief snippets from Smiley Smile.

(Probably had to do with 1) the owner of said gallery is a MAJOR Dennis fan -- and is even credited in the POB reissue of 2008 -- and 2) the woman who ran the puppet show was the wife of one Paul Mertens, and 3) Paul Mertens was actually part of the show. Smiley  )

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: July 14, 2015, 04:21:22 PM »

I heard vegetables in the produce department in the grocery store.     I also heard a young woman engaged in a loud one sided cell phone shouting match.    I heard a buggy with a squeaky wheel.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx