gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681016 Posts in 27627 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 15, 2024, 03:47:46 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian playing bass?  (Read 15641 times)
Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: April 06, 2014, 06:02:29 AM »

Brian's Twitter account just posted a picture of him playing bass for his album: pic.twitter.com/DZqnyNGF2i

@BrianWilsonLive 1m
Brian recording a bass track yesterday for his upcoming album at @OceanWayRec pic.twitter.com/DZqnyNGF2i

Interesting
Ovi
Smiley Smile Associate

They know I'm rock 'n' roll through and through.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2014, 06:13:01 AM »

Taken from facebook:

halblaineisgood
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2014, 06:18:26 AM »

« Last Edit: December 30, 2014, 09:25:00 PM by halblaineisgood » Logged
halblaineisgood
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2014, 06:18:48 AM »

« Last Edit: December 30, 2014, 09:25:14 PM by halblaineisgood » Logged
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2014, 06:38:38 AM »

Facebook says he's been recording a bass track. I'm buying that. 3D
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2014, 07:31:54 AM »

Halleleja!
Also - glad to see it's an actual Fender bass, instead of the Gibson/Valley Arts model he's been plugging since the U.S. leg of the SMiLE tour (not that that's in any way an inferior instrument to the Fender, but I'm a sucker for authenticity. Now if they'd only go back to analog tube recording!).
« Last Edit: April 06, 2014, 07:34:55 AM by c-man » Logged
zachrwolfe
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2014, 08:05:35 AM »

« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 08:18:42 PM by zatch » Logged
Peadar 'Big Dinner' O'Driscoll
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2014, 09:15:48 AM »

Facebook says he's been recording a bass track. I'm buying that. 3D

mmm yeah, feeling that too  Grin

The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2014, 10:26:44 AM »

Not sure why the appearance on Facebook of a photo of Brian playing bass is any indication of the likely quality of the next album.

A few people have posted that they see it as a good omen but isn't it just a photo of Brian playing a bass? Or have some people accessed a multi-track fully mixed audio file version of the photo that my outdated IPhone can't properly open?

I've seen some lipsmacking photos of BigMacs but the reality still tastes like a fried stool wrapped in cardboard*.

* = let's wait and hear the music…

“We live in divisive times.”
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2014, 11:02:30 AM »

Not sure why the appearance on Facebook of a photo of Brian playing bass is any indication of the likely quality of the next album.

A few people have posted that they see it as a good omen but isn't it just a photo of Brian playing a bass? Or have some people accessed a multi-track fully mixed audio file version of the photo that my outdated IPhone can't properly open?

I've seen some lipsmacking photos of BigMacs but the reality still tastes like a fried stool wrapped in cardboard*.

* = let's wait and hear the music…
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2014, 11:08:22 AM »

Grin

“We live in divisive times.”
Letsgoawayforawhile
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2014, 01:31:08 PM »

I'll give my idol the benefit of the doubt. We owe that much to him. I'm VERY excited for this!

“Simple it's not, I'm afraid you will find, for a mind maker-upper to make up his mind”
- Dr. Seuss
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2014, 02:15:34 PM »

Taken from facebook:

Well... at least it's plugged in this time.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2014, 02:20:29 PM »

My jaw dropped when I saw that on Facebook this morning. Don't want to get my hopes up, but this album looks like it could be pretty good. 3D

Hate to piss on your parade, but if Brian playing bass is your criterion for excellence, chances are it won't be. Brian's bass playing was, at best, adequate for the early studio/touring days, and I can't imagine it's gotten any better since. His main instrument, from before the BB were even considered, has been the piano.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Moon Dawg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2014, 02:40:07 PM »

Brian playing bass will always be good PR for a new album. Looks like he's "hands on." Not to say he isn't, who knows?

Slightly off topic, but for me the very best instrumental lineup for The Beach Boys as a self-contained band goes like this: Brian-piano, Carl & Dave-guitars, Al-bass, Dennis-drums, Mike-sax, percussion.

Beach Boys' history might have been a bit different if Dave & Carl had continued as a guitar duo.
bringahorseinhere?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2014, 02:41:20 PM »

Brian has not really 'played' bass properly since the early to mid 80's....
then from there on it has been more of a prop.... with someone else simultaneously playing behind him to make
it look like he's playing all the parts..... you watch his playing in the later years, he is a one note wonder...

but Geez! was he really rockin' in 64'!!!  

it would seem to me it's a mock photo just for facebook.... someone else was more likely 'tracking' their part and they
took a break, and threw the bass on Bri, just for a pic..

RickB
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2014, 02:59:21 PM »

That's what I'm thinking as well. Now if he really did play the bass on a track, it's a good sign because that means he's more involved.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2014, 03:00:31 PM »

then from there on it has been more of a prop.... with someone else simultaneously playing behind him to make
it look like he's playing all the parts..... you watch his playing in the later years, he is a one note wonder...

it would seem to me it's a mock photo just for facebook.... someone else was more likely 'tracking' their part and they

RickB
Official Facebook description of the photo says it's him recording a track. If it's just for promotion they wouldn't have to flat-out lie about it. Wink For the time being I'm buying that Brian is actually recording a (simple) bass line for the album. Why not?
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2014, 03:08:21 PM »

RickB
Official Facebook description of the photo says it's him recording a track. If it's just for promotion they wouldn't have to flat-out lie about it. Wink For the time being I'm buying that Brian is actually recording a (simple) bass line for the album. Why not?

New album credits:

Brian Wilson: lead vocals, background vocals, keyboards, bass
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2014, 03:21:28 PM »

RickB

New album credits:

Brian Wilson: lead vocals, background vocals, keyboards, bass
"My name is Brian and I'm the man..."

bringahorseinhere?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2014, 03:22:06 PM »

wow! yeah, imagine that in the credits! I wonder when the last credited bass track Brian is noted on playing?...

RickB
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2014, 03:26:05 PM »

wow! yeah, imagine that in the credits! I wonder when the last credited bass track Brian is noted on playing?...

RickB

Don't know about the track, but Brian is credited on bass on the Live: The 50th Anniversary Tour album.
zachrwolfe
« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2014, 08:10:12 PM »

« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 08:18:37 PM by zatch » Logged
bringahorseinhere?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 06, 2014, 08:19:58 PM »

hey Zach.....

forget about your wording..... I think a lot of us a in 'la la' mode while examining that picture.....

so much going on with Brian, and recording, and new album , and Brian with a Bass guitar similar to what he once held and played!!!

enough to make ya 'cream ya pants' eh?

RickB
jmc
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 06, 2014, 08:20:58 PM »

i doubt he is laying down an actual track but it very well could be that he is check out some simple feels, ideas, etc.  Even if they are simple ideas, they could lead to a track which would probably be played by someone else for the final recording.  why go as far as to wear the headphones for a mock photo....just hold the bass.    

RickB
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx