gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681511 Posts in 27640 Topics by 4082 Members - Latest Member: briansclub June 10, 2024, 10:37:31 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian playing bass?  (Read 15733 times)
adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 06, 2014, 09:31:16 PM »

There was a tour or two around '77-'78 where Brian's function was as THE bass player for the touring band, as amazing as it may seem.  The video I've seen was shockingly good, and Brian was running around like a rock star.

Peter Ames Carlin IIRC said that Carl demanded that Brian be moved from bass to piano -- chances are Brian's performance varied a lot, and bass is a pretty pivotal instrument, so he may have had some jusitification.
Nicko1234
« Reply #26 on: April 06, 2014, 09:39:48 PM »

There was a tour or two around '77-'78 where Brian's function was as THE bass player for the touring band, as amazing as it may seem.  The video I've seen was shockingly good, and Brian was running around like a rock star.

Peter Ames Carlin IIRC said that Carl demanded that Brian be moved from bass to piano -- chances are Brian's performance varied a lot, and bass is a pretty pivotal instrument, so he may have had some jusitification.

Yeah, I would say it vaied a lot:  Wink

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1EPXBQV3yM
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: April 07, 2014, 01:31:27 AM »

Brian: Man, my new album sucks! Maybe I can save it by playing the bass myself like in the old days...

Brian: Well - at least it was worth a try.
Evil

Hate to piss on your parade, but if Brian playing bass is your criterion for excellence, chances are it won't be. Brian's bass playing was, at best, adequate for the early studio/touring days, and I can't imagine it's gotten any better since. His main instrument, from before the BB were even considered, has been the piano.

Well, he was pretty good on "Dance, Dance, Dance" and "Susie Cincinnati" anyway!

If it's just for promotion they wouldn't have to flat-out lie about it. Wink

The Smilie lets me think you actually know that lying is what promotion is all about... Smiley

That said, the photo does not mean the album will suck. I'm really looking forward to it.

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 07, 2014, 01:42:32 AM »

If it's just for promotion they wouldn't have to flat-out lie about it. Wink

The Smilie lets me think you actually know that lying is what promotion is all about... Smiley

Making things look a certain way isn't necessarily lying. Which is my point. If Brian fiddled around with the bass whilst recordings were underway in the studio they could have just shown that - without a caption or simply saying "Brian with bass". But Facebook caption clearly reads "Brian recording a track" and it's plugged in and he has them headphones on, so... effort-wise, that goes way beyond merely taking advantage of a random situation to promote his album. For the time being I'd say innocent before proven guilty (or: actually playing bass for the new LP in some capacity before proven guilty). Wink
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: April 07, 2014, 02:13:54 AM »

Objection allowed. Smiley

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: April 07, 2014, 03:33:51 AM »

Halleleja!
Also - glad to see it's an actual Fender bass, instead of the Gibson/Valley Arts model he's been plugging since the U.S. leg of the SMiLE tour (not that that's in any way an inferior instrument to the Fender, but I'm a sucker for authenticity. Now if they'd only go back to analog tube recording!).

OK, so it's a Sandowsky rather than a Fender. At least it's tobacco sunburst!
leggo of my ego
Smiley Smile Associate

Beach Boys Stomp

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 07, 2014, 07:00:57 AM »

Man, Brian's clothing sure is baggy - is he shrinking? well, guess its comfortable

Hey Little Tomboy is creepy. Banging women by the pool is fun and conjures up warm summer thoughts a Beach Boys song should.

Necessity knows no law
A bootlegger knows no law
Therefore: A bootlegger is a necessity
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: April 07, 2014, 08:49:19 AM »

Halleleja!
Also - glad to see it's an actual Fender bass, instead of the Gibson/Valley Arts model he's been plugging since the U.S. leg of the SMiLE tour (not that that's in any way an inferior instrument to the Fender, but I'm a sucker for authenticity. Now if they'd only go back to analog tube recording!).

OK, so it's a Sandowsky rather than a Fender. At least it's tobacco sunburst!

I'm a little bit "off" and opinionated when it comes to these things, I admit, but that is one of my pet peeves with modern bass.

Not as much of an atrocity as "lead bass" played on a six-string monstrosity (usually fed through a cheesy 'smooth jazz' approved chorus effect)...but if it's a classic Fender tone and feel ye seeks, simply play a classic Fender! End of story.

I know the technical reasons, with these boutique and high-end brand name basses (I could list a bunch of others) having quieter electronics, better necks, easier playability, more 'modern' touches and mods (hey, gotta have a BadAss bridge and tone-pot mod or you can't play! )...and a very high price tag...

But at some point, if you want that 60's P-Bass thump, go out and get a 60's P-Bass, and run it through an old tube Ampeg or Fender bass amp with real speakers, not some aluminum-coned speaker cab or a 600W solid-state "portable" head with onboard effects. To each his own, of course, but it's just me being loyal to a brand that has had many missteps and flubs through the years but which still delivers *that sound*, if that's what you want. if you want a modernized and upgraded take on the classic Fender, Sadowsky is probably the best version but pricey as hell.

***Just a note, Tal Wilkenfeld, Jeff Beck's incredible bass player who is on Brian's album as well, is a prominent endorser and player of Sadowsky basses, but her model is a natural finish Jazz Bass style and shape.

Maybe it was seeing and/or trying Tal's own Sadowsky on tour and in studio that led to Brian getting one for himself, in the P-bass style and vintage sunburst? If it's really Brian's bass, that is.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 07, 2014, 09:05:25 AM »

Man, Brian's clothing sure is baggy - is he shrinking? well, guess its comfortable
Its better than his bathrobes.... Grin

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
chrs_mrgn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 07, 2014, 12:27:56 PM »

My jaw dropped when I saw that on Facebook this morning. Don't want to get my hopes up, but this album looks like it could be pretty good. 3D

I'm hoping for a good sounding album personally, not just looks. Wink
chrs_mrgn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 07, 2014, 12:30:13 PM »

Its better than his bathrobes.... Grin

debatable

Brian hanging out in a robe a la Nilsson Schmillson > sunsets and surfboards
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: April 07, 2014, 01:21:34 PM »

It's pretty amazing in general to think that as late as 1980 the actual Beach Boys were the primary musicians fueling the band. In 1980, at most shows anyway, they only had Bobby Figueroa, Mike Meros, and Ed Carter backing them. Bobby usually was on percussion, or filling in for Dennis on drums, so the BB's essentially only had two auxiliary musicians outside of percussion. No additional guitarists. No horns. Most notably as well, for better *and* worse, essentially no auxiliary backing vocalists (Bobby did do some vocals on some songs though). 

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 07, 2014, 01:33:00 PM »

IIRC, Brian started back on bass during the sessions for the BW88 album. Don't think he's credited on record, but it's been suggested that "Melt Away" has a BW-written bass parts, if not him on the actual song.

As for BW on bass onstage, he's reasonably competent on the couple of songs he's done. Not always, but certainly when he started doing it back in 2000, he knew the (simple) fingerings and was audible. And in the BW tribute concert, he plays bass on Fun Fun Fun (not a number he usually does) and doesn't sing for periods because he's concentrating on bass playing ...
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 07, 2014, 03:26:42 PM »

My jaw dropped when I saw that on Facebook this morning. Don't want to get my hopes up, but this album looks like it could be pretty good. 3D

Hate to piss on your parade, but if Brian playing bass is your criterion for excellence, chances are it won't be. Brian's bass playing was, at best, adequate for the early studio/touring days, and I can't imagine it's gotten any better since. His main instrument, from before the BB were even considered, has been the piano.

Oh no, adequacy! D=

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 07, 2014, 03:37:17 PM »

It's pretty amazing in general to think that as late as 1980 the actual Beach Boys were the primary musicians fueling the band. In 1980, at most shows anyway, they only had Bobby Figueroa, Mike Meros, and Ed Carter backing them. Bobby usually was on percussion, or filling in for Dennis on drums, so the BB's essentially only had two auxiliary musicians outside of percussion. No additional guitarists. No horns. Most notably as well, for better *and* worse, essentially no auxiliary backing vocalists (Bobby did do some vocals on some songs though). 

The first Beach Boys' concert I ever saw - 1978 at the Philadelphia Spectrum - Brian started the concert on Fender bass and played it for much of the show. It was one of the greatest thrills of my life. I wasn't a sophisticated enough listener at that time so I can't really give a good appraisal of his bass playing. I do remember that one time he played a song with a cigarette between his fingers on his right hand, another time he just sat down on a speaker or monitor and played a song, and there were times when he would brush his hair (his bangs) with his hand - in the middle of a song! I didn't care. I must've focused on Brian 90% of the time. He was wearing a blue Adidas sweatsuit with white sneakers and looked great. As did Karen Lamm-Wilson who made an appearance on stage as a background singer...

Mike Meros was VERY prominent in almost every song; he was spectacular. For some reason, during a lot of those 1980 shows, Carl turned many guitar solos over to Ed Carter, who actually rocked harder than any other Beach Boys' guitarist I ever seen/heard. For the 1978 shows (and maybe some 1979 ones?), Charles Lloyd also contributed some nice horn work.

Dancing Bear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 07, 2014, 04:08:07 PM »

The first Beach Boys' concert I ever saw - 1978 at the Philadelphia Spectrum - Brian started the concert on Fender bass and played it for much of the show. It was one of the greatest thrills of my life. I wasn't a sophisticated enough listener at that time so I can't really give a good appraisal of his bass playing. I do remember that one time he played a song with a cigarette between his fingers on his right hand, another time he just sat down on a speaker or monitor and played a song, and there were times when he would brush his hair (his bangs) with his hand - in the middle of a song! I didn't care. I must've focused on Brian 90% of the time. He was wearing a blue Adidas sweatsuit with white sneakers and looked great. As did Karen Lamm-Wilson who made an appearance on stage as a background singer...

Mike Meros was VERY prominent in almost every song; he was spectacular. For some reason, during a lot of those 1980 shows, Carl turned many guitar solos over to Ed Carter, who actually rocked harder than any other Beach Boys' guitarist I ever seen/heard. For the 1978 shows (and maybe some 1979 ones?), Charles Lloyd also contributed some nice horn work.

Given that in 1980 the band was the Beach Boys + Figueroa, Meros and Carter, who played bass when Carter was playing lead guitar?

I'm fat as a cow oh how'd I ever get this way!
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 07, 2014, 04:20:25 PM »

Given that in 1980 the band was the Beach Boys + Figueroa, Meros and Carter, who played bass when Carter was playing lead guitar?

Mr. Bruce Johnston!!! Shocked
Dancing Bear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 08, 2014, 11:41:01 AM »

wow, mr. johston saying his farewell to the bass! thanks.

I'm fat as a cow oh how'd I ever get this way!
Rob Dean
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 08, 2014, 12:19:15 PM »

When Ed Carter switched to Lead in 1980 , Joe Chemay was brought in on Bass ( damn good player ) then later that year Ed went back to Bass.
When Carl left in 1981 , Ed took over the Lead again with Ernie Knapp on Bass ( the less said about his playing the better )
« Last Edit: April 08, 2014, 12:21:35 PM by Rob Dean » Logged
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: April 08, 2014, 02:59:58 PM »

When Ed Carter switched to Lead in 1980 , Joe Chemay was brought in on Bass ( damn good player ) then later that year Ed went back to Bass.
When Carl left in 1981 , Ed took over the Lead again with Ernie Knapp on Bass ( the less said about his playing the better )

Well, apparently Ernie was good enough a bass player for Brian to use him on a couple of studio sessions in 1982...
Steve Latshaw
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: April 08, 2014, 04:36:39 PM »

I posted this in another thread so my apolpgies for the repetition but I thought it was a wonderful quote from Brian.  Brian did a delightful interview with Harvey Kubernick in the 2007 tour booklet... perhaps the best interview I've read from Brian in recent years... funny and warm, completely unguarded.   They talked about Beach Boys albums and deli food and buying records at Wallach's Music City on Sunset back in the day.

In reference to a question about playing bass, Brian said, "I can't play bass for beans."
bringahorseinhere?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 08, 2014, 05:42:04 PM »

don't forget, Bruce also did do some 'miming' bass during the late 80's too....
kokomo, problem child etc etc
90's?..... not sure about that...

RickB
Moon Dawg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 08, 2014, 06:05:38 PM »

wow, mr. johston saying his farewell to the bass! thanks.

Bruce seems a reasonable musician. He has become a truly lazy stage performer these past 25 years. I hope he reads this and starts playing his toy keyboard for real.
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 08, 2014, 07:49:44 PM »

Playing or not that is an incredibly cool photo..

Just imagine he WAS playing that bass track, it would be my first listen when I get the record.

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: April 08, 2014, 08:37:08 PM »

don't forget, Bruce also did do some 'miming' bass during the late 80's too....
kokomo, problem child etc etc
90's?..... not sure about that...

RickB

"Problem Child" was 1990, so yes.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx