gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680749 Posts in 27614 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 05:46:57 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 20 21 [22] 23 24 25 26 27 ... 30 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mike and Bruce Tour 2014  (Read 149176 times)
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #525 on: November 28, 2014, 11:05:18 AM »

M&B need to give it up already. One's voice is shot and the other is a stage prop to hide the fact it's a solo show.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
halblaineisgood
« Reply #526 on: November 28, 2014, 11:26:55 AM »

« Last Edit: November 28, 2014, 12:03:11 PM by Al Jardine: TheDickup Artist » Logged
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #527 on: November 28, 2014, 12:28:42 PM »

Both songs sound forced, almost like trying to keep up with a drum machine. Not pleasant to these ears. And the constant cheerleading from BJ is too much. I've lost my desire to see them again.
Thumbs Up w00t! Thumbs Up

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #528 on: November 28, 2014, 12:30:22 PM »

M&B need to give it up already. One's voice is shot and the other is a stage prop to hide the fact it's a solo show.
LOL LOL LOL

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
RiC
Smiley Smile Associate

One and Only

View Profile
« Reply #529 on: November 28, 2014, 01:06:27 PM »

Sometimes it hits me how sad and low it is that Mike is touring as "The Beach Boys" while Brian, Alan and David are all standing and performing. So sad.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #530 on: November 28, 2014, 01:43:58 PM »

Not that this should come as any surprise for anyone, but on the BBB Bruce today mentions future bookings in process....All the way into 2017, so I would venture to guess this doesn't bode well for any reunion within the next few years.

Some news: We have booked 75% of our 2015 concert dates and we are trying for Australian dates for Novemberish 2015 or March 2016. We are even booking 2016 dates and planning out 2017.

Bruce Johnston
Budapest
November 26, 2014

I thought it had been made blindingly clear, by at least two of the principals and in recent times, that a C50 style reunion just isn't going to happen again.

While fans at this stage would be foolish to assume we'll ever see another reunion tour, I don't think Mike has ever ruled out the possibility in interviews. He usually stays pretty vague and gives strong indications he doesn't feel like doing it at any point in the near future, but I don't think he said "nope, that's not going to happen again."

I think looking at the Mike & Bruce schedule extending into 2016 or 2017 has less to do with any particular likelihood of more reunion dates, but rather the fact that Mike booking shows so far in advance precludes the possibility of doing another reunion tour anything like C50. That's not to say they couldn't rearrange dates in, say, 2016 or 2017 if they decide to do a little reunion tour or something. But if they really were unwilling to buy off the small amount of post-C50 Mike and Bruce shows in 2012 to even extend C50 a few more months, then it's pretty clear once Mike books his own shows, he is unlikely to cancel or reschedule.

I have to hand it to Bruce for not realizing, however unlikely reunion shows actually are, that his comment is another d*ck maneuver in light of how it dashes the hopes of fans who wanted more reunion dates, however delusion such a wish might have been. Or more likely, he'll gleefully celebrate NOT having a permanent reunion as he did as early as 2012 before the reunion even started.

Again, there's no implication here that more reunion dates were ever likely. But unless you're going to truly be blunt and honest and actually have a real discussion about why a reunion can't happen, announcements of "we're booking shows into 2017!" will just make you look like a tool to at least a subset of fans.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
urbanite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #531 on: November 28, 2014, 02:18:14 PM »

Won't the autobiographies of Brian and Mike finish off any chance of a reunion?
kiwi surfer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #532 on: November 28, 2014, 03:51:02 PM »

Sometimes it hits me how sad and low it is that Mike is touring as "The Beach Boys" while Brian, Alan and David are all standing and performing. So sad.

There's much to be sad about in the world, especially if you are a glass half empty type, but Mike and Bruce touring as The Beach Boys hardly warrants any hand-wringing on our part.

In my opinion Mike as the licence holder would likely be in neglect of his duty if he did not actively pursue bookings.
RiC
Smiley Smile Associate

One and Only

View Profile
« Reply #533 on: November 29, 2014, 03:27:27 AM »

There's much to be sad about in the world, especially if you are a glass half empty type, but Mike and Bruce touring as The Beach Boys hardly warrants any hand-wringing on our part.

In my opinion Mike as the licence holder would likely be in neglect of his duty if he did not actively pursue bookings.
The fact is that all three, Brian, Al and David wanted to stay and tour under the Beach Boys name, but Mike said no. That's just pathetic and sad. But that doesn't mean I wouldn't go to see Mike's show if he'd come to my country.
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #534 on: November 29, 2014, 03:43:27 AM »

Not that this should come as any surprise for anyone, but on the BBB Bruce today mentions future bookings in process....All the way into 2017, so I would venture to guess this doesn't bode well for any reunion within the next few years.

Some news: We have booked 75% of our 2015 concert dates and we are trying for Australian dates for Novemberish 2015 or March 2016. We are even booking 2016 dates and planning out 2017.

Bruce Johnston
Budapest
November 26, 2014

Maybe it means they are planning out a C55 reunion tour.

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #535 on: November 29, 2014, 08:32:28 AM »

Bruce Johnston
Budapest
November 26, 2014

I thought it had been made blindingly clear, by at least two of the principals and in recent times, that a C50 style reunion just isn't going to happen again.

While fans at this stage would be foolish to assume we'll ever see another reunion tour, I don't think Mike has ever ruled out the possibility in interviews. He usually stays pretty vague and gives strong indications he doesn't feel like doing it at any point in the near future, but I don't think he said "nope, that's not going to happen again."

I think looking at the Mike & Bruce schedule extending into 2016 or 2017 has less to do with any particular likelihood of more reunion dates, but rather the fact that Mike booking shows so far in advance precludes the possibility of doing another reunion tour anything like C50. That's not to say they couldn't rearrange dates in, say, 2016 or 2017 if they decide to do a little reunion tour or something. But if they really were unwilling to buy off the small amount of post-C50 Mike and Bruce shows in 2012 to even extend C50 a few more months, then it's pretty clear once Mike books his own shows, he is unlikely to cancel or reschedule.

I have to hand it to Bruce for not realizing, however unlikely reunion shows actually are, that his comment is another d*ck maneuver in light of how it dashes the hopes of fans who wanted more reunion dates, however delusion such a wish might have been. Or more likely, he'll gleefully celebrate NOT having a permanent reunion as he did as early as 2012 before the reunion even started.

Again, there's no implication here that more reunion dates were ever likely. But unless you're going to truly be blunt and honest and actually have a real discussion about why a reunion can't happen, announcements of "we're booking shows into 2017!" will just make you look like a tool to at least a subset of fans.

Since we're being frank, IMO the tools are that very subset of fans who are still calling out for a further reunion. Ain't gonna happen and those pleas are getting to be just as boring as any previous ad nauseum repeats. Personally, I'd really love to see Carl and Dennis back on stage, but I doubt that'll ever come to pass, so I don't keep banging on about it.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #536 on: November 29, 2014, 06:47:03 PM »

Bruce Johnston
Budapest
November 26, 2014

Since we're being frank, IMO the tools are that very subset of fans who are still calling out for a Huh further reunion. Ain't gonna happen and those pleas are getting to be just as boring as any previous ad nauseum repeats. Personally, I'd really love to see Carl and Dennis back on stage, but I doubt that'll ever come to pass, so I don't keep banging on about it.

Yes, the fans that want the full band to reunite are the real dicks in this equation, rather than the band members who kept it from happening.  Huh

I guess that makes sense to pick at those fans rather than the band members that made it not happen. It's no fun to go backstage and rub elbows with Jerry, the fanboy who is deluded enough to call for the living members of his favorite band to actually play together.

Seriously, Dennis and Carl aren't likely to play with the band again. But if a fan laments their deaths, I don't attack that fan more than I would cancer or alcoholism, or the concept of death itself.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Cyncie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #537 on: November 29, 2014, 08:33:55 PM »

LOL @ anyone on this forum criticizing anyone else on this forum for being obsessive.  Roll Eyes
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #538 on: November 29, 2014, 08:38:55 PM »

I'd say to this the same as I would any hobby/interest, etc. None of this matters as it pertains to life, or the world itself. But if one takes time in their life for hand-wringing over anything that isn't actually consequential to life itself, than those who don't like Mike using the name should feel free to hand-wring if they want. It's not any less consequential than any other inter-band drama over the years.

kiwi surfer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #539 on: November 29, 2014, 11:30:40 PM »

I'd say to this the same as I would any hobby/interest, etc. None of this matters as it pertains to life, or the world itself. But if one takes time in their life for hand-wringing over anything that isn't actually consequential to life itself, than those who don't like Mike using the name should feel free to hand-wring if they want. It's not any less consequential than any other inter-band drama over the years.

I'd say at this stage of their career it is totally inconsequential how Mike is billed. If this debate had occurred in the 1960's or 1970's then yes it would not have been "any less consequential than any other inter-band drama." But here we are talking about a band heading towards their 55th anniversary with the principals approaching their mid 70s. Individually and collectively they owe me nothing. I'm just thankful I have the opportunity, if I so wish, to hear the surviving principals in one configuration or another.
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #540 on: November 30, 2014, 12:40:30 AM »

Since we're being frank, IMO the tools are that very subset of fans who are still calling out for a further reunion. Ain't gonna happen and those pleas are getting to be just as boring as any previous ad nauseum repeats. Personally, I'd really love to see Carl and Dennis back on stage, but I doubt that'll ever come to pass, so I don't keep banging on about it.

Come on Andrew. You're really gonna say the people calling out for a further reunion are tools, cuz they are clamoring for something that doesn't seem likely? Well, in case you forgot, the predecessor of this board, The Smile Shop was basically founded on the same premise, dedicated to discussing an album that at the time was unreleased for approximately 35 plus years and didn't look to be on the horizon. However, there were people on the board, including you, talking about said album a whole heck of a lot. This was something that was dead and buried for decades, yet this small subset of fans were clamoring for it, and discussing it endlessly. And guess what happened? Brian Wilson and Van Dyke Parks ended up finishing SMiLE* and releasing said album in 2004. And the original sessions in 2011. So is it crazy to discuss the fact that there are seven living Beach Boys who currently are in two camps. Brian has been or will be playing with Al, Blondie and Ricky while Mike has his main man Bruce and it looks like at least for now Dave seems to be hitching himself to that group. So it's not like the guys are scattered. The Beach Boys are working together, in forms. Basically on two sides. They aren't scattered in the wind. Therefore, one would have to think that it could happen that if certain parties got over certain things we could have something just as beautiful as C50. Of course we won't though, because I know you talk to Mike and I'm assuming that he made it plainly obvious to you that he has zero interest in working with "manipulated" Cousin Brian, because Cousin Brian makes it extremely hard for Mike's vision of The Beach Boys to shine through when he's on board.

*According to Brian, he says it was finished, therefore I'll take him at his word. Some may disagree, but it's his work and not ours.

I'd say at this stage of their career it is totally inconsequential how Mike is billed. If this debate had occurred in the 1960's or 1970's then yes it would not have been "any less consequential than any other inter-band drama." But here we are talking about a band heading towards their 55th anniversary with the principals approaching their mid 70s. Individually and collectively they owe me nothing. I'm just thankful I have the opportunity, if I so wish, to hear the surviving principals in one configuration or another.

How can you say it's inconsequential? If Mike were billed as "The Endless Summer Maharishi Beach Band featuring Mike Love (of The Beach Boys) and Bruce Johnston (also of The Beach Boys even though he wasn't on a large chunk of the hits, but we won't mention that, oh and oh yeah, he wrote "I Wrote The Songs")" or whatever, do you think they'd even do a quarter of the business they do? Everybody knows this, Mike probably more than anybody. That name, THE BEACH BOYS, means a heck of a lot to people, and for the most part if you see the name on an upcoming events listing, one will go expecting a good time with a bunch of sunny up-tempo hits and some sweet ballads. Nasal vocals with falsetto vocals. Harmonies. Wonderful songwriting. People might not know who is currently billed as "The Beach Boys" but they know that's the stuff they are likely to get. Now, if you see the name "Mike Love" maybe say, "....wait, he was in The Beach Boys? Let's go see him" but more likely they'd say either "who?" or "I'll wait 'til he gets back together with Wilson again, I don't want to hear about the Maharishi". Now Brian on the other hand, he is a household name. Nearly everybody I know is aware of who he is. However, that name still won't sell tickets as quickly as Beach Boys tickets unless it's an EVENT, a la his first major solo show in '99, his first Pet Sounds shows, or the first SMiLE shows.

However, I do agree that these guys don't owe us a thing. We have 50 plus years of incredible music. And I have a hunch we have a little a few more classics from Brian on this upcoming new album. And hopefully Mike will be putting out some new music too. And they are both still touring. And while I think it's lame Mike decided to stop touring with Brian, I still like a great deal of his work.
Nicko1234
« Reply #541 on: November 30, 2014, 01:20:17 AM »

I certainly don`t think people who wish another reunion could happen are tools.

But having a go at one of the band members just for giving honest information about the future is daft imo.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #542 on: November 30, 2014, 01:38:19 AM »

Several Beach Boys topics I have read over the years on this site and others....

Smile will never be released.
Brian would never rejoin the Beach Boys.
Bruce only watching a reunion from a center seat third row from the stage.
Mike would never write a biography.

One word has changed things.....Money!
halblaineisgood
« Reply #543 on: November 30, 2014, 04:41:14 AM »

« Last Edit: December 02, 2014, 03:05:57 AM by G-8 » Logged
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #544 on: November 30, 2014, 09:14:49 AM »

Several Beach Boys topics I have read over the years on this site and others....

Smile will never be released.
Brian would never rejoin the Beach Boys.
Bruce only watching a reunion from a center seat third row from the stage.
Mike would never write a biography.

One word has changed things.....Money!

Bingo! You got it.
Dave in KC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #545 on: November 30, 2014, 10:55:29 AM »

When I asked Bruce on another board why he changed his mind, his answer was loyalty and dedication. His dedication to who though?
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #546 on: November 30, 2014, 12:55:27 PM »

I know you talk to Mike and I'm assuming that he made it plainly obvious to you that he has zero interest in working with "manipulated" Cousin Brian, because Cousin Brian makes it extremely hard for Mike's vision of The Beach Boys to shine through when he's on board.

Your assumption is completely incorrect: Mike has never said any such thing to me. My strong impression is that Mike would work with Brian again in a heartbeat, given a level playing field. The problems mitigating against a further - say, Pet Sounds 50 - reunion would seem to occupy a much broader canvas.

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #547 on: November 30, 2014, 12:57:26 PM »

What's a "level playing field"? Mike writing all the songs with BW and telling Melinda to take a hike? Roll Eyes It's never enough for Mike without extreme control and using BW as a human cash cow.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2014, 01:00:10 PM by SMiLE Brian » Logged

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #548 on: November 30, 2014, 01:04:33 PM »

Meeting in the middle ? The mythical "room" ?

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #549 on: November 30, 2014, 01:19:29 PM »

The room where Melinda and BW's friends take a hike while Mike forces him to rewrite "fun,fun,fun" for the 20th time? Mike is bankrupt, spring vacation and the other songs on TWGMTR proves it.

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 20 21 [22] 23 24 25 26 27 ... 30 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx