gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 08:27:17 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 ... 30 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mike and Bruce Tour 2014  (Read 148139 times)
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #175 on: June 20, 2014, 06:56:49 AM »

Either a very lazy churnalist padding out a fresh interview with stolen quotes, or Mike's PR recycling already approved material in subsequent press releases?

“We live in divisive times.”
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #176 on: June 20, 2014, 08:08:55 AM »

My money's on lazy journo.  Cheesy

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #177 on: June 22, 2014, 09:46:05 PM »

Despite that odd occurrence that HeyJude has pointed out, there actually were a few kinda interesting things in that "interview" (or whatever it was)...

First off we have the question, "Despite all the rumors flying around, did you and Brian part as friends with the idea for future collaborations?"

Mike, while somewhat avoiding the question did give an interesting answer, saying, "Originally, before the 50th anniversary album project, Brian and I wanted to do a rock and roll album of songs we didn’t write. But it never happened. His management team went another direction—they have their own ideas about how to do things The relationship between Brian and I, when we’re left alone, is great."

This is interesting. We had heard sometime in 2013 (I'm pretty sure) that Mike mentioned that at one point there was the idea to record some of their favorites tunes or whatever. And at least I kinda took that to mean that maybe Mike wanted to do a 14ᵗʰ version of "Fun, Fun, Fun" and "Surfin' U.S.A." or whatever. However, an album of rock 'n roll oldies may have been kinda interesting. Obviously, I'm very, very glad that they did That's Why God Made The Radio and it produced better results than a covers album probably would have. However, I do think any album of songs that really gets the guys going would be pretty interesting. I wouldn't doubt that in their private conversations (if there were any) that Brian and Mike probably did somewhat plan and get excited by this idea. And the reason I believe that this is probably something Brian wanted (or wants) is that he's talked quite a bit about doing a "rock 'n roll" album and I think if he were totally left to his own devices, that rock 'n roll album would probably feature a bunch of covers, arranged in that Wilson or Spector-esque way, kinda like "I'm Into Something Good". And even though I much prefer to hear Brian doing new originals these days and I thought his Disney album was kind of a sleepwalk, I think he would be super into an album of his favorite oldies. Just my opinion. And I wouldn't mind such an album.

Also interesting, and maybe it's just a case of Mike not really knowing, but he mentions how "Brian is working on a soundtrack, which is part of a movie project about his life." Does he just mean Brian's upcoming album? Or is Brian also involved with new recordings for the soundtrack for the movie? Interesting...

And finally, on current projects he says "I’ve been working up some songs over the last three decades and recorded songs that never came out. I’m working on an album and a single on my own. I’m looking at songs we’ve done and trying to figure out how to make them commercially viable in this day and age. I’m looking at songs that were done in the ’80s and fine tuning them. I want to make them evoke the feeling of the ’80s with the sound of today without sacrificing anything."

So maybe Mike really is gonna open up the vault and let us hear all this stuff he's stored up through the years. Honestly, most of it probably won't be very good, but I'll buy it if he releases this stuff. And I think it'd be a gutsy move. We'll see I suppose.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #178 on: June 22, 2014, 09:55:49 PM »

And finally, on current projects he says "I’ve been working up some songs over the last three decades and recorded songs that never came out. I’m working on an album and a single on my own. I’m looking at songs we’ve done and trying to figure out how to make them commercially viable in this day and age. I’m looking at songs that were done in the ’80s and fine tuning them. I want to make them evoke the feeling of the ’80s with the sound of today without sacrificing anything."

So maybe Mike really is gonna open up the vault and let us hear all this stuff he's stored up through the years. Honestly, most of it probably won't be very good, but I'll buy it if he releases this stuff. And I think it'd be a gutsy move. We'll see I suppose.

That's what I was told last year at Henley. I'd buy First Love. Country Love... ummmmmmmmmmmmm...

Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #179 on: June 22, 2014, 10:24:59 PM »

That's what I was told last year at Henley. I'd buy First Love. Country Love... ummmmmmmmmmmmm...

Wait, he told you he was actually gonna release a bunch of the stuff he's recorded over the years? Really. That would be an interesting development.

And I'm with you. I'd buy First Love. I'd buy a new Mike Love album. I'd buy a reissue of Looking Back With Love. I would not buy Country Love, no way, no how.

Anyways, did he indicate whether any of this would be happening anytime soon? Apparently not very soon, since he told you last year, ha.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2014, 06:13:49 AM by sweetdudejim » Logged
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #180 on: June 22, 2014, 10:56:21 PM »

Wait, he told you he was actually gonna release a bunch of the stuff he's recorded over the years? Really. That would be an interesting development.

And I'm with you. I'd buy First Love. I'd buy a new Mike Love album. I'd be a reissue of Looking Back With Love. I would not buy Country Love, no way, no how.

Anyways, did he indicate whether any of this would be happening anytime soon? Apparently not very soon, since he told you last year, ha.

That's what he said.

Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #181 on: June 25, 2014, 02:45:12 PM »

Looks like the new publicity picture for this years line-up. New boy Jeff at the rear. LOL

http://www.bostonglobe.com/lifestyle/names/2014/06/23/beach-boys-and-megan-hilty-headline-july-boston-pops-show/fIfuTZxU5YKL8TWIV9Z9ZO/story.html
clack
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #182 on: June 25, 2014, 03:36:32 PM »

Mike again talking about making his projected solo lp "commercially viable". What does that even mean? A Mike Love solo release can only ever be a niche lp, sold to already existing fans. He's not going to do a Tony Bennett or a Johnny Cash and find a new, young audience -- he's more like a Peter Noone or Mark Lindsay.

Just put out a CD, Mike, and sell it at Beach Boys concerts along with the other band merchandise.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #183 on: June 25, 2014, 04:31:45 PM »

Mike again talking about making his projected solo lp "commercially viable". What does that even mean? A Mike Love solo release can only ever be a niche lp, sold to already existing fans. He's not going to do a Tony Bennett or a Johnny Cash and find a new, young audience -- he's more like a Peter Noone or Mark Lindsay.

Just put out a CD, Mike, and sell it at Beach Boys concerts along with the other band merchandise.

All of these guys (well, I guess not David yet?) are in their 70's and it has been relatively if not exceedingly easy for artists to sell their material online (both physical and download product) for 10-15 years. At this point we have to assume it's just a lucky accident (e.g. "A Postcard from California") if any of these guys (other than Brian and David) put out any amount of archival or new solo material (let alone "opening up the archives"), and the same goes for the group collectively. Whether they lack focus, or organization, or are waiting to get "a hit", it just hasn't been happening.

These guys have so much stuff recorded and archived that they would never have to write or record another note for the rest of their lives and they could still release oodles of material (of varying quality no doubt).
« Last Edit: June 25, 2014, 06:59:07 PM by HeyJude » Logged

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Foster's Freeze
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #184 on: June 25, 2014, 08:00:27 PM »

Seeing this photo and calling Mike, Bruce and a bunch of guys other than Foskett I don't even know "The Beach Boys" makes me more pissed.

Even after all these years when I try to tell people about a BEACH BOYS album they see a picture of these chumps and think "oh these are the guys on Pet Sounds?"

Damn you Mike Love.

Mike's not a Hawthorne boy. The Hawthorne guys stuck together. The Wilsons and I always had a special bond. We felt like we were a team.
KittyKat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #185 on: June 25, 2014, 08:17:45 PM »

If it makes you feel any better, two of the guys on Pet Sounds are dead. And the musical backing tracks are mostly session musicians. And Brian never toured with the band when they were playing Pet Sounds material when it was more or less new.  It was Bruce taking Brian's place on tours of that era.
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #186 on: June 25, 2014, 08:31:30 PM »

Has anyone honestly thought that band recorded Pet Sounds? Come on.....really? Scott Totten and Tim B. don't even look like they were alive in 1966!
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #187 on: July 14, 2014, 02:25:16 PM »

November European dates:

21 - Paris
22 - Frederikshaven
23 - Ballerup
24 - Trondheim
25 - Dublin
26 - Belfast
27 - London
29 - Tel Aviv (first ever Israel gig)

Any word on on-sale date for tickets?

PS: Mike's site lists the venue as "Wembly Arena" … "Great Brittan". That'd be Leon Brittan perhaps? At Wembly Swim & Racquet Club (www.wembly.org/)?

“We live in divisive times.”
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #188 on: July 14, 2014, 02:29:55 PM »

Any word on on-sale date for tickets?

Yes. Later.

astroray
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #189 on: July 14, 2014, 09:22:16 PM »

What is the difference between the Beach Boys 2014 and Mike Love's Endless Summer Beach Band back in the 70s? I think the ESBB played their first gig here in Atlanta, with Mike and Jeff Foskett, at Lake Lanier, they sounded good, but I thought even back then, Mike Love is not the Beach Boys!

Cook pork throughly
Nicko1234
« Reply #190 on: July 15, 2014, 01:39:33 AM »

What is the difference between the Beach Boys 2014 and Mike Love's Endless Summer Beach Band back in the 70s? I think the ESBB played their first gig here in Atlanta, with Mike and Jeff Foskett, at Lake Lanier, they sounded good, but I thought even back then, Mike Love is not the Beach Boys!

There`s no chance of hearing the song Looking Back With Love!  Grin
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #191 on: July 15, 2014, 10:32:03 AM »

I attended the Lake Lanier show. Randell Kirsch was also in the band.

Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #192 on: July 15, 2014, 10:39:09 AM »

Mike is The Beach Boy, Bruce is The Beach Buddy.

punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #193 on: July 16, 2014, 09:30:40 PM »

^ Yeah, totally agree. I wish they'd add some more deep cuts. They have the ability to pull off songs that have never been played live before, so why not try?

Something concert performers rarely seem to do is adding some sort of theme to what songs are being played, like doing an entire album, start to finish. After seeing one M&B show, the idea of seeing another doesn't really excite me, but if they were to start playing all of 'Summer Days' in the middle of the show, I'd go out of my way to catch a M&B show! Imagine they performed every 'good' song that Mike sang lead on from 1963-1966 for their setlist? It would be something to talk about, that Mike is doing something new and interesting that has never really been done before. Their setlist has gone relatively unchanged for the last 30 years, it just seems like it would be a great way to make their shows noteworthy.

Also, a strange part of me does want to hear Goin' To The Beach live...is that normal?

Goin to the Beach is catchy so that is fair enough...

Obviously for us hardcore fans it would be great to hear more rarities. But I think Mike and Bruce know that most of their audience just want the hits. Ages ago I remember reading some reviews of old M&B concerts and there were a surprising number of comments like, `Sherry was the best received song`, `without the car medley the show didn`t really work`, `the crowd loved Duke of Earl` etc. I really don`t think the audience would want to hear `I`m Bugged at My Old Man` or `Summer Means New Love` for example.

The one good thing about this setlist is that they are playing comparitively few covers. Obviously the non-BB songs like Sherry, Duke of Earl and I Saw Her Standing There were dropped ages ago but now former regulars like Summertime Blues, California Dreaming, Little Old Lady and Back in the USSR are also missing. It is slightly better for the hardcore fans.

Mike & Bruce have at least three different setlists tailored to the needs of the occasion:

1 - outdoor fairs/racetrack/festival: meat & potatoes hits for Joe Q. Public. 90 minutes of good-times.

2 - indoor venues: somewhat longer, a few deep cuts.

3 - UK/Europe indoor venues: 50+ songs in over two hours, hits, classics, deep cuts.

Oh my gosh, everytime I read about a UK/Europe show, I get SO jealous. I just wish they'd stop by Indiana and on a whim, perform one of those setlist! I don't care if it's Everyone's in Love with You or the whole Country Love album! Actually, I'd much rather prefer they perform Looking Back with Love, First Love, Celebration, or Side 1 of the Almost Summer soundtrack albums.

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
markb
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #194 on: July 21, 2014, 06:29:32 AM »

Had the pleasure of watching The Beach Boys at Newbury on Saturday and, having watched Brian and Al just a fortnight ago, feel in a good position to make a few comparative points. I haven't watched Mike and Bruce since the 2008 tour with David and their performance on Saturday was in a completely different universe to that show. Vocally the band were excellent and Jeff's addition to the band has been very positive in terms of both sound and energy. Several of the songs on Saturday were absolutely brilliant - I Get Around, California Girls and Surfin USA notably better in my view than Brian and Al at Hop Farm. They also did great up tempo versions of Then I Kissed Her and a frenetic Barbara Ann, much better than the C50 rendition in my opinion. That said I felt the Brian show did a better job with Sloop, Nice and Rhonda and I stand by my comments about Matt  Jardine's version of Wild Honey being supreme. Over the years I have always been in the Brian's band is better camp previously but have to say that in my view now there really isn't a heck of a lot to choose between the two bands. It looked presentationally to me that Jeff is very much up front as one of a front four with Mike, Bruce and Scott Totten who was hugely impressive both vocally and instrumentally. I have decided , like several other posters recently, that time is ticking and it makes sense to catch them while we still can in whatever incarnation we might find them. Big crowd at Newbury had a great time and the music was done complete justice and then some .
Moon Dawg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #195 on: July 21, 2014, 01:45:22 PM »

I'll be seeing Mike, Bruce, Jeff, & Band at the Ohio State Fair 7/29. America is on the bill. I've never seen this version of the band, so the curiosity factor is high. My friend - not a major fan - was surprised to discover there would be no Wilsons or even a Jardine, but he is on board as much for America as The Beach Boys anyway.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2014, 01:49:12 PM by Moon Dawg » Logged
Junebug
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #196 on: July 21, 2014, 02:24:30 PM »

I'd go see em , but only cos Foskett's there .
How did he end up there and not in Brian's band anyway ?
KittyKat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #197 on: July 21, 2014, 09:30:07 PM »

Brian has only booked four shows so far this year and I'm not sure he's ever played more than 50 or so dates in a year. The Beach Boys play more than 100 in a year. He had already left Brian's employ before Mike decided to hire him after Christian Love left. In fact, Jeff already had a gig with the band America, but the Beach Boys offer came along and he took it.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #198 on: July 21, 2014, 11:34:10 PM »

Most shows Brian's played in a year is 73 or so.

Nicko1234
« Reply #199 on: July 21, 2014, 11:35:07 PM »

Brian has only booked four shows so far this year and I'm not sure he's ever played more than 50 or so dates in a year. The Beach Boys play more than 100 in a year. He had already left Brian's employ before Mike decided to hire him after Christian Love left. In fact, Jeff already had a gig with the band America, but the Beach Boys offer came along and he took it.

Yeah, he has. You are right that touring with The BBs will provide a better income for Jeff though presumably.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 ... 30 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx