gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680748 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 03:05:46 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 30 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mike and Bruce Tour 2014  (Read 149174 times)
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #125 on: April 24, 2014, 07:25:20 AM »

The release of 2 (Cool Head, Warm Heart, Daybreak) out of those 3 songs was under the "BBs" brand name, and the one song that was released (if you count Soundcloud as a proper release) did in fact get a good enough amount of flack. In 2004, while there were plenty of online haters, I think the hater thing has snowballed since then quite a bit.  One would hope that Mike (like Al did) would realize that a major label release just isn’t in the cards anymore and to simply release it for art’s sake, but I just don't think he has the motivation to do so.

I agree that Mike won`t release it for `art`s sake` as he wouldn`t want it to just disappear as Al`s album did (if that`s the right way of putting it). It`s a shame as if he released it online and sold it at concerts it would probably shift a few copies simply because Mike and Bruce play so many shows.

But no, the hater thing certainly hasn`t snowballed over the past 10 years. Obviously Mike got a bad press when C50 ended but he has always had a bad press. And Mike Love, Not War would have coincided with David Leaf`s Beautiful Dreamer doc so his reputation wasn`t any higher then.

Just my opinion, obviously, but the anti-Love stuff on the internet has not snowballed in the last decade. It has actually decreased in terms of the proportion of negative-to-neutral-to-positive. It was pretty uniformly negative stuff back in the late 90’s and early 2000’s, probably in part because the wounds of the remnants of the band splitting were still fresh, and also because even many Mike Love superfans would agree that the live show he had put together in 1998-1999 was relatively sub-par, especially in comparison to a decade later.

By the mid-late 2000’s, it seemed to die down to some degree, probably due to a mixture of time passing, Mike’s live show improving, fans become rather apathetic to the cause of demanding Mike stop using the BB name, Brian’s solo career being an actual going concern, and so on. Certainly, the decades-old negative impression has never gone away, and we’ve spent thread after thread trying to dissect how much of all the old negative crap (“don’t f*** with the formula, “Smile”, etc.) concerning Mike is fair or not.

I’ve rambled about this numerous times, but Mike gained a HUGE amount of goodwill and positive commentary for doing the reunion in 2012, from some of the most jaded, crusty, cynical Beach Boys fans ever (and the press as well). Unfortunately, the aftermath of the reunion pulled the rug out from under some of those cranky fans so severely, it led to a disproportionately huge negative backlash.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Nicko1234
« Reply #126 on: April 24, 2014, 11:55:49 PM »

Just my opinion, obviously, but the anti-Love stuff on the internet has not snowballed in the last decade. It has actually decreased in terms of the proportion of negative-to-neutral-to-positive. It was pretty uniformly negative stuff back in the late 90’s and early 2000’s, probably in part because the wounds of the remnants of the band splitting were still fresh, and also because even many Mike Love superfans would agree that the live show he had put together in 1998-1999 was relatively sub-par, especially in comparison to a decade later.

By the mid-late 2000’s, it seemed to die down to some degree, probably due to a mixture of time passing, Mike’s live show improving, fans become rather apathetic to the cause of demanding Mike stop using the BB name, Brian’s solo career being an actual going concern, and so on. Certainly, the decades-old negative impression has never gone away, and we’ve spent thread after thread trying to dissect how much of all the old negative crap (“don’t f*** with the formula, “Smile”, etc.) concerning Mike is fair or not.

I’ve rambled about this numerous times, but Mike gained a HUGE amount of goodwill and positive commentary for doing the reunion in 2012, from some of the most jaded, crusty, cynical Beach Boys fans ever (and the press as well). Unfortunately, the aftermath of the reunion pulled the rug out from under some of those cranky fans so severely, it led to a disproportionately huge negative backlash.

Agreed.

I remember ages ago there was a Mike Love Fan Club page where the level of hate spilled over into Brianistas handing out death threats to other posters on occasion, for example.

(I didn`t know that Ambha Love had to go to school with a bodyguard after receiving a death threat several years ago until I saw it while searching for something else on this site though).
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #127 on: April 25, 2014, 01:49:43 AM »

I used to be proud to call myself a Brianista (old school, late 1970s), but the current iteration - blinkered, rabid in their hate of anyone who isn't Brian and generally knowing nothing at all about the band - is enough to put you off being a BB fan at all.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Mayoman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: June 17, 2014, 03:27:17 PM »

Found a video of "Back in The USSR" from Abbey Road On The River: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2fPyKOkKzs
Steve Mayo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: June 17, 2014, 06:33:07 PM »

for comparison look at this version....  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YUQAjwADXvM   Smiley

moderatorem non facit stultus est ingenio
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: June 17, 2014, 08:03:26 PM »

for comparison look at this version....  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YUQAjwADXvM   Smiley

Nice video. If only the sound was better, eh?

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: June 17, 2014, 08:10:59 PM »

Do like the "Don't have the moves like Jagger, don't have the moves like Jagger" comment. LOL
acedecade75
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: June 17, 2014, 09:13:57 PM »

Agreed.

I remember ages ago there was a Mike Love Fan Club page where the level of hate spilled over into Brianistas handing out death threats to other posters on occasion, for example.

(I didn`t know that Ambha Love had to go to school with a bodyguard after receiving a death threat several years ago until I saw it while searching for something else on this site though).

This is very sad, any way you look at it.
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: June 17, 2014, 11:25:28 PM »

Jeez, Mike is just a vocalist.
You would think the guy was a serial-rapist or something...
thatjacob
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #134 on: June 17, 2014, 11:41:15 PM »

Does anyone know if tickets have been discounted in any cities for this tour? I'm thinking about going to the one in Peachtree City, but I don't want a repeat of the last time I saw Brian where I paid full price only for Groupon to sell seats that were just as good for $40 less.
Nicko1234
« Reply #135 on: June 18, 2014, 01:05:38 AM »

Found a video of "Back in The USSR" from Abbey Road On The River: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2fPyKOkKzs

Thanks for posting this. They sound pretty darn good here.
Nicko1234
« Reply #136 on: June 18, 2014, 01:06:49 AM »

Also now uploaded are Dear Prudence and I Saw Her Standing There:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ef9sonhDQqw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=njhCfavTbQ8

Dear Prudence sounds as ropey as hell to me and, in contrast with Back in the USSR, the thinness of his voice is very apparent.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2014, 01:10:49 AM by Nicko1234 » Logged
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #137 on: June 18, 2014, 01:29:09 AM »

Totten especially - he really fills everything in.

Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #138 on: June 18, 2014, 01:31:38 AM »

Dear Prudence sounds as ropey as hell to me and, in contrast with Back in the USSR, the thinness of his voice is very apparent.

His voice isn't as strong as it used to be, but if they had played the song a few steps lower he would have sounded much better...it just sounds like its a little bit out of his comfortable range.

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #139 on: June 18, 2014, 02:48:11 AM »

Jeez, Mike is just a vocalist.
You would think the guy was a serial-rapist or something...

Mike's biggest problem - in the eyes of some, at any rate - is sadly unfixable. He's not Brian. Yup, that simple, that stupid. But then, some BB fans were never overburdened with smarts.

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #140 on: June 18, 2014, 04:29:50 AM »

November European dates:

21 - Paris
22 - Frederikshaven
23 - Ballerup
24 - Trondheim
25 - Dublin
26 - Belfast
27 - London
29 - Tel Aviv (first ever Israel gig)

Matt H
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #141 on: June 18, 2014, 05:23:17 AM »

Who was singing "I Saw Her Standing There?"
MaxL
Smiley Smile Associate

"It's a damn shame"

View Profile
« Reply #142 on: June 18, 2014, 06:34:38 AM »

November European dates:

21 - Paris
22 - Frederikshaven
23 - Ballerup
24 - Trondheim
25 - Dublin
26 - Belfast
27 - London

Can't find any info anywhere else but checked Bellagio (why that wasn't my first port of call I don't know) and they're playing Wembley Arena? I'm quite amazed.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #143 on: June 18, 2014, 07:26:12 AM »

Yeah, they do. Hey, today is Paul McCartney's birthday! And, speaking of "Back In The USSR" and Paul McCartney and Mike Love....Did you know that while India in 1967, Mike had breakfast with....
Fire Wind
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #144 on: June 18, 2014, 08:25:20 AM »

Can't find any info anywhere else but checked Bellagio (why that wasn't my first port of call I don't know) and they're playing Wembley Arena? I'm quite amazed.

Yeah, that's much bigger than, say, Hammersmith, where they've played in the past.  It's also where the reunited band played their last gig.  I'm wondering if Mike and Bruce can fill it okay, or even if people might go to it expecting the full line-up.  Anyway, I want to go.

I still can taste the ocean breeze...
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #145 on: June 18, 2014, 08:35:47 AM »

Mike's biggest problem - in the eyes of some, at any rate - is sadly unfixable. He's not Brian. Yup, that simple, that stupid. But then, some BB fans were never overburdened with smarts.

Hrrmmm. Right or wrong, most people that seem to have a problem with Mike don't seem to have that same problem with any or all of Carl, Dennis, Al, Bruce, Dave, Blondie, Ricky, Totten, Foskett, Glen Campbell, and so on. Seems like, however right or wrong these people are, they are reacting more to Mike and less to his not being Brian. Otherwise, every other BB would have a similar negative following and/or perception. The other guys didn't do some of the things for which Mike has been criticized by some fans.

In other words, this "Anti-Mike = Pro-Brian" or "Anti-Mike = Anti-Anybody-Who's-Not Brian" business is silly in my opinion. There are always a few like that, and I've certainly seen a few inordinately "Pro-Mike" people who will shoot down anything Jardine or Brian do. It doesn' t mean all people who like Mike dislike Brian, or dislike anybody who isn't Mike.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Mayoman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #146 on: June 18, 2014, 08:53:41 AM »

Who was singing "I Saw Her Standing There?"

Think it's Randell Kirsch.
MaxL
Smiley Smile Associate

"It's a damn shame"

View Profile
« Reply #147 on: June 18, 2014, 08:54:19 AM »

Yeah, that's much bigger than, say, Hammersmith, where they've played in the past.  It's also where the reunited band played their last gig.  I'm wondering if Mike and Bruce can fill it okay, or even if people might go to it expecting the full line-up.  Anyway, I want to go.

My thoughts exactly. I was at the Wembley concert in 2012 and I got the impression they only chose that venue (and RAH) based on the buzz and pull of the reunion. Here M&B have aimed more at medium-sized venues like, as you say, Hammersmith Apollo and venues like the O2 Academies and City Hall-like venues. It's just a bit of a shock to me for them to be playing an arena. Regardless I'm eagerly awaiting ticket details.
The Real Barnyard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #148 on: June 18, 2014, 09:28:08 AM »

November European dates:

21 - Paris
22 - Frederikshaven
23 - Ballerup
24 - Trondheim
25 - Dublin
26 - Belfast
27 - London

I know that it's still soon. But, what are the chances that we can see 50+ songs setlists like in 2004 or 2008?
If it's the case it would be worth attending any of these shows.

Sam_BFC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #149 on: June 18, 2014, 10:11:49 AM »

This is the Mike & Bruce gig I've been waiting for (ie not a festival or racecourse etc).  I have never seen them and have never forgivenmyself for missing the 08 gigs.  A slightly smaller venue may have been better, but if they fill it then fab.

"..be cautious, don't get your hopes up, look over your shoulder because heartbreak and darkness are always ready to pounce"

petsoundsnola
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 30 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx