gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 03:50:25 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 30 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mike and Bruce Tour 2014  (Read 148130 times)
StillSurfin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: April 22, 2014, 02:21:37 PM »

I'm contemplating going to see Mike & Bruce (the tour's listed as 'The Beach Boys') in the UK but was wondering if it would be worth it. For those who have seen the tour, who sings lead on most of the songs (I'm guessing Mike & Bruce share lead and Bruce sings lead on 'Endless Harmony') and how the backing band is in terms of the harmonies etc, thanks.
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: April 22, 2014, 02:28:57 PM »

I'm contemplating going to see Mike & Bruce (the tour's listed as 'The Beach Boys') in the UK but was wondering if it would be worth it. For those who have seen the tour, who sings lead on most of the songs (I'm guessing Mike & Bruce share lead and Bruce sings lead on 'Endless Harmony') and how the backing band is in terms of the harmonies etc, thanks.
Mike & Bruce have been touring as the licensed "Beach Boys" for a long time now. Backing band is stellar. Mike does all his usual leads, some band members have guest spots (his son Christian being the 'Carl' among them) and Bruce has his 2-3 songs to shine as well. Go see them!
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #102 on: April 22, 2014, 02:58:00 PM »

Go with an open mind instead of thinking "well, it's not Brian". The band are excellent - John Cowsill may just be the best drummer they've ever had.

However, I shall be outstandingly surprised if Bruce - or anyone else - sings lead on "Endless Harmony".  Grin

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Moon Dawg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: April 22, 2014, 06:37:33 PM »

Looking forward to seeing Mike & Bruce in Columbus OH this summer - my first time with this edition of the band. Opening act will be America.
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: April 22, 2014, 07:23:44 PM »

Looking forward to seeing Mike & Bruce in Columbus OH this summer - my first time with this edition of the band. Opening act will be America.

The Beach Boys found a band with less original members than they have!?!
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: April 22, 2014, 07:36:18 PM »

I'll be seeing Mike and Bruce in Derry this June

Not excited, just expecting a decent gig and a nice day out

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Nicko1234
« Reply #106 on: April 22, 2014, 07:41:58 PM »

Don`t America still have the same 2 members they have had for decades?
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: April 22, 2014, 07:44:06 PM »

Don`t America still have the same 2 members they have had for decades?

Well, since they've been opening for The Beach Boys in the 80's till now, yes.
Nicko1234
« Reply #108 on: April 22, 2014, 07:45:14 PM »

Can`t really go wrong for the very low ticket price.

Great songs performed by a fine band.
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: April 22, 2014, 08:47:56 PM »

Exactly

I didn't even know about the gig till today, my friend who's a casual fan bought two tickets knowing id go.

I really like this girl too, maybe I can swoon her during Disney girls

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Nicko1234
« Reply #110 on: April 22, 2014, 11:02:17 PM »

Exactly

I didn't even know about the gig till today, my friend who's a casual fan bought two tickets knowing id go.

I really like this girl too, maybe I can swoon her during Disney girls

If it is a meat and potatoes show then they may well not play Disney Girls.

Goin to the Beach will have to suffice instead.  Wink

J.G. Dev
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: April 23, 2014, 04:35:19 AM »

America has two thirds of the original line up, and has since 1977. M&B has one third of real Beach Boys.
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: April 23, 2014, 05:58:11 AM »

I never said otherwise!  Grin
Nicko1234
« Reply #113 on: April 23, 2014, 10:18:10 AM »

Honestly, I think he's perhaps afraid to go through with releasing a full-on solo album these days (in anything resembling a proper release fashion - even a release as low key as "A Postcard From California") under his own name, because he doesn't want to face a giant tidal wave backlash of haters. It's sad to say, but I think this may be big part of it.  I don't think he wants to go through with putting something out (a whole album, promotion, etc), and getting the kind of reaction that he would in all probability get from many corners of the internet. There doesn't seem to be much incentive for him, that I can see. Next to none financially, and not much (IMO) emotionally, in all likelihood. And this is unfortunate.

A late reply to this comment but I really don`t think this is the case.

When Mike recorded his unreleased solo album he was obviously trying to shop it around and was also talking about it frequently in interviews (hence the MOJO interview mentioned a while back). He (optimistically) hoped to get a major label to release it and when that didn`t happen, it was left to gather dust.

The songs that have been released (Cool Head, Warm Heart, Daybreak and Pisces Brothers) certainly haven`t brought any hate and the youtube comments on some of the unreleased songs have been benign and fairly positive.

CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: April 23, 2014, 12:08:26 PM »

Honestly, I think he's perhaps afraid to go through with releasing a full-on solo album these days (in anything resembling a proper release fashion - even a release as low key as "A Postcard From California") under his own name, because he doesn't want to face a giant tidal wave backlash of haters. It's sad to say, but I think this may be big part of it.  I don't think he wants to go through with putting something out (a whole album, promotion, etc), and getting the kind of reaction that he would in all probability get from many corners of the internet. There doesn't seem to be much incentive for him, that I can see. Next to none financially, and not much (IMO) emotionally, in all likelihood. And this is unfortunate.

When Mike recorded his unreleased solo album he was obviously trying to shop it around and was also talking about it frequently in interviews (hence the MOJO interview mentioned a while back). He (optimistically) hoped to get a major label to release it and when that didn`t happen, it was left to gather dust.

The songs that have been released (Cool Head, Warm Heart, Daybreak and Pisces Brothers) certainly haven`t brought any hate and the youtube comments on some of the unreleased songs have been benign and fairly positive.

The release of 2 (Cool Head, Warm Heart, Daybreak) out of those 3 songs was under the "BBs" brand name, and the one song that was released (if you count Soundcloud as a proper release) did in fact get a good enough amount of flack. In 2004, while there were plenty of online haters, I think the hater thing has snowballed since then quite a bit.  One would hope that Mike (like Al did) would realize that a major label release just isn’t in the cards anymore and to simply release it for art’s sake, but I just don't think he has the motivation to do so.
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: April 23, 2014, 12:47:24 PM »

The release of 2 (Cool Head, Warm Heart, Daybreak) out of those 3 songs was under the "BBs" brand name, and the one song that was released (if you count Soundcloud as a proper release) did in fact get a good enough amount of flack. In 2004, while there were plenty of online haters, I think the hater thing has snowballed since then quite a bit.  One would hope that Mike (like Al did) would realize that a major label release just isn’t in the cards anymore and to simply release it for art’s sake, but I just don't think he has the motivation to do so.

I want Mike to release the fackin' album. I'd buy it. But yeah, calling on Mike Love to do something "for art's sake" is kind of a joke. I won't deny that he's done a lot of great art, but he is in it for the commerce, and obviously his solo album isn't gonna promote much commerce. Maybe a few hundred, or if he's lucky a couple thousand.

Also, don't forget that he also released "Love Like in Fairytales" (also known as "Glow Crescent Glow", which is also known as song to sing to your 25 year old wife in the hot tub) on the CD The Boys Of Summer, which also had "Cool Head, Warm Heart" on it.
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: April 23, 2014, 01:07:22 PM »

This is a very good 7 member band.  I saw them twice over the past year, both times in performing arts centers. These were among the best performances I have seen this line up do over the past  several years.  Excellent shows.  Dancing in the isles. On a good night, this band hits a grand slam (much credit to John Cowsill) of a performance.  Don't miss it.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #117 on: April 23, 2014, 01:15:51 PM »

The release of 2 (Cool Head, Warm Heart, Daybreak) out of those 3 songs was under the "BBs" brand name...

Not so - "CH,WH" was released on a BB album, but listed as a Mike Love recording. A little accuracy, please.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: April 23, 2014, 01:20:42 PM »

The release of 2 (Cool Head, Warm Heart, Daybreak) out of those 3 songs was under the "BBs" brand name...

Not so - "CH,WH" was released on a BB album, but listed as a Mike Love recording. A little accuracy, please.
Released on a BBs album still means using the brand name. Even if it says ML on the back and/or in the notes (which is merely being honest/accurate).

Good to know someone's watching out for accuracy in these parts, though. Smiley
KittyKat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: April 23, 2014, 04:40:38 PM »

Mike should press up some solo CD's and sell them at the Beach Boys' merch stand at each tour stop. I'm sure it could sell a few or even several thousand, eventually, with cumulative sales.  The fact he's doing two songs at some tour stops could indicate he's considering that.  Didn't Al put some copies of his solo CD at the reunion merch stands?
Nicko1234
« Reply #120 on: April 23, 2014, 06:52:42 PM »

I agree that Mike won`t release it for `art`s sake` as he wouldn`t want it to just disappear as Al`s album did (if that`s the right way of putting it). It`s a shame as if he released it online and sold it at concerts it would probably shift a few copies simply because Mike and Bruce play so many shows.

But no, the hater thing certainly hasn`t snowballed over the past 10 years. Obviously Mike got a bad press when C50 ended but he has always had a bad press. And Mike Love, Not War would have coincided with David Leaf`s Beautiful Dreamer doc so his reputation wasn`t any higher then.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: April 23, 2014, 07:04:11 PM »

The release of 2 (Cool Head, Warm Heart, Daybreak) out of those 3 songs was under the "BBs" brand name, and the one song that was released (if you count Soundcloud as a proper release) did in fact get a good enough amount of flack. In 2004, while there were plenty of online haters, I think the hater thing has snowballed since then quite a bit.  One would hope that Mike (like Al did) would realize that a major label release just isn’t in the cards anymore and to simply release it for art’s sake, but I just don't think he has the motivation to do so.

I agree that Mike won`t release it for `art`s sake` as he wouldn`t want it to just disappear as Al`s album did (if that`s the right way of putting it). It`s a shame as if he released it online and sold it at concerts it would probably shift a few copies simply because Mike and Bruce play so many shows.

But no, the hater thing certainly hasn`t snowballed over the past 10 years. Obviously Mike got a bad press when C50 ended but he has always had a bad press. And Mike Love, Not War would have coincided with David Leaf`s Beautiful Dreamer doc so his reputation wasn`t any higher then.

Yes he has always had bad press, but methinks that with the advent of social media - mainly Youtube, Facebook, and the exponential proliferation of unfiltered comments (including that notorious "Why I hate Mike Love" blog), I just think that pure blind hatred is at least more "visibly out there", if that makes any sense. That's how it seems to me, at least... and I've been a fan since before then, so I feel like I've witnessed it happening. Yes, 2004 surely wasn't a great press year for him either.  

So that's *part* of the reason why IMO I think that he isn't particularly interested in releasing/distributing an album online (the only real way he can at this point) with any kind of visible push/promo, because online has largely not been good to him. If he felt very warmly regarded by the interwebs and huge heaps of adoration from giant swaths of fans (like Brian does), I think it might be a different story (even if Mike couldn't get the album released on a major label, the internet would have its emotional welcome mat out as an incentive).

Selling the CD album at live shows (directly to less judgmental M&B fans) would almost certainly be a more attractive option, but as stated previously, I'm just not sure that he has the incentive to do so. But I'd love to see him prove me wrong.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2014, 07:12:14 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: April 23, 2014, 07:10:14 PM »

I've attended my share of Mike & Bruce shows and, in my opinion, the overwhelming - OVERWHELMING - impression I get is appreciation and ENJOYMENT of Mike Love's work, both on record and on the stage, by the millions of fans who attend the concerts. Like I mentioned above, I'm surprised that by now (2014!!!!) Mike hasn't just gone ahead and produced/manufactured/marketed his solo recordings by himself. If Mike Love CD's were available at the merchandise booths at a Beach Boys/Mike & Bruce show (or an online site), I can't see how Mike couldn't profit from their sales, maybe not in the short run, but at least over time.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: April 23, 2014, 07:11:30 PM »

I've attended my share of Mike & Bruce shows and, in my opinion, the overwhelming - OVERWHELMING - impression I get is appreciation and ENJOYMENT of Mike Love's work, both on record and on the stage, by the millions of fans who attend the concerts. Like I mentioned above, I'm surprised that by now (2014!!!!) Mike hasn't just gone ahead and produced/manufactured/marketed his solo recordings by himself. If Mike Love CD's were available at the merchandise booths at a Beach Boys/Mike & Bruce show (or an online site), I can't see how Mike couldn't profit from their sales, maybe not in the short run, but at least over time.

I agree - I really think he should sell them at booths at M&B shows. No doubt. 
Nicko1234
« Reply #124 on: April 23, 2014, 07:20:05 PM »

Yes he has always had bad press, but methinks that with the advent of social media - mainly Youtube, Facebook, and the exponential proliferation of unfiltered comments (including that notorious "Why I hate Mike Love" blog), I just think that pure blind hatred is at least more "visibly out there", if that makes any sense. That's how it seems to me, at least... and I've been a fan since before then, so I feel like I've witnessed it happening. Yes, 2004 surely wasn't a great press year for him either.  

So that's *part* of the reason why IMO I think that he isn't particularly interested in releasing/distributing an album online (the only real way he can at this point) with any kind of visible push/promo, because online has largely not been good to him. If he felt very warmly regarded by the interwebs and huge heaps of adoration from giant swaths of fans (like Brian does), I think it might be a different story (even if Mike couldn't get the album released on a major label, the internet would have its emotional welcome mat out as an incentive).

Selling the CD album at live shows (directly to less judgmental M&B fans) would almost certainly be a more attractive option, but as stated previously, I'm just not sure that he has the incentive to do so. But I'd love to see him prove me wrong.

It`s a fair opinion but as several of the songs have been on Youtube for many years, I doubt it is a big factor.

I think time has shown that if Mike is offered the right opportunity to showcase his songs then he will take it (whether that`s a TV appearance, a Hallmark CD or an ESQ CD). But, as you say, there isn`t really the motivation there to go down the self-publishing route.

gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 30 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx