gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680853 Posts in 27617 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 28, 2024, 07:23:58 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 21 22 23 [24] 25 26 27 28 29 30 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mike and Bruce Tour 2014  (Read 149656 times)
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #575 on: November 30, 2014, 07:36:51 PM »

I guess we sometimes are guilty of only hearing what we want to hear and only seeing what we want to see.  What did Ebenezer Scrooge say to his nephew Fred's wife in 'A Christmas Carol'?..."Can you forgive a pig-headed old fool with no eyes to see with and no ears to hear with all these years? "

I will have a chance to catch Mike and Bruce this coming August when they come to Chatham Ontario.  I have not gone to see the Beach Boys...even the 50th anniversary tour...since Carl passed away.  I've seen Brian [et al] a number of times since then...of course.  Over the years I probably saw [and heard] The Beach Boys a minimum of a dozen times in places like Winnipeg [the night Dennis went to see the movie 'ET' instead of performing], Tampa Bay, Toronto and Barrie.  I've seen them inside and outside.  I've MC'd their concerts 4 times and well after hours/after shows I've sat and talked privately with Carl, Bruce and, to a lesser degree, Mike for  a number of hours.

I'm lucky because I've seen the Beach Boys at or near the top of their 'game' and I've been a fan since the release of 'Surfin USA' in the late spring of 1963.  At this point...should I go see Mike and Bruce perform this August?  Will it enhance or tarnish my 'memories'? Huh  YOU'VE been there/done that.  Give me some REAL advice.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2014, 07:45:34 PM by Add Some » Logged

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #576 on: November 30, 2014, 07:39:54 PM »

To file under the list of many questions which I wish a proper, actual interviewer (not a random dude on a message board) would ask Mike: what would Mike say if posed the question: "how would you feel if one or more of your BB bandmates who sincerely wanted to keep making BB music with you, should (heaven forbid) pass away, without you all sharing the stage again? Would you feel regretful?"

A very sad thought... but I do wonder what kind of "spin" Mike could put on an answer. Not much, I would think. So sad indeed. I sometimes don't know if the guy himself actually thinks about this kind of stuff. Not dealing with sad realities of age and time is surely easier.
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #577 on: November 30, 2014, 07:40:43 PM »

I guess we sometimes are guilty of only hearing what we want to hear and only seeing what we want to see.  What did Ebenezer Scrooge say to his nephew Fred's wife in 'A Christmas Carol'?..."Can you forgive a pig-headed old fool with no eyes to see with and no ears to hear with all these years? "

I will have a chance to catch Mike and Bruce this coming August when they come to Chatham Ontario.  I have not gone to see the Beach Boys...even the 50th anniversary tour...since Carl passed away.  I've seen Brian [et al] a number of times since then...of course.  Over the years I probably saw [and heard] The Beach Boys a minimum of a dozen times in places like Winnipeg [the night Dennis went to see the movie 'ET' instead of performing], Tampa Bay, Toronto and Barrie.  I've seen them inside and outside.  I've MC'd their concerts 4 times and well after/hours after shows I've sat and talked privately with Carl, Bruce and, to a lesser degree, Mike for  a number of hours.

I'm lucky because I've seen the Beach Boys at or near the top of their 'game' and I've been a fan since the release of 'Surfin USA' in the late spring of 1963.  At this point...should I go see Mike and Bruce perform this August?  Will it enhance of tarnish my 'memories'? Huh  YOU'VE been there/done that.  Give me some REAL advice.

That's what I'm saying! There is more than enough room for both/all "Beach Boys" camps/fans in this world.....

Yeah, Brian holds up the "art" end and Mike/Bruce hold up the "fun fun fun" end ...... How is this bad, other than they're all not together and Carl and Dennis aren't still with us?

When it gets to where we're talking about that miracle of all miracles, the C50 tour and it's all about cheering for Brian while bashing Mike for his waves and winks, I'd say there is a boat being misses that's leaving the port forever :/
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #578 on: November 30, 2014, 08:54:01 PM »

To file under the list of many questions which I wish a proper, actual interviewer (not a random dude on a message board) would ask Mike: what would Mike say if posed the question: "how would you feel if one or more of your BB bandmates who sincerely wanted to keep making BB music with you, should (heaven forbid) pass away, without you all sharing the stage again? Would you feel regretful?"

A very sad thought... but I do wonder what kind of "spin" Mike could put on an answer. Not much, I would think. So sad indeed. I sometimes don't know if the guy himself actually thinks about this kind of stuff. Not dealing with sad realities of age and time is surely easier.

I'd guess his answer would be we did share a stage together. In 2012.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2014, 08:56:16 PM by Pretty Funky » Logged
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #579 on: November 30, 2014, 09:15:57 PM »

Meeting in the middle ? The mythical "room" ?

Okay, so you say "meeting in the middle" would be fair. What's the middle? Less band members? Mike gets to write or co-write more songs/propose more themes? Maybe that's all reasonable. So let's say Brian moves in that direction. What does Mike give up? Because, it sure seems like it's Brian who has to give up things from C50, while Mike gains. And that'll be the "middle".

Andrew, pray tell, what do you think Mike should be willing to "give up" or budge on?

And sure, yeah, I'm sure they could meet in a room and write a few things. But I feel a feeling the goalposts would be moved if Brian signaled that this would be cool.
The Cincinnati Kid
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #580 on: November 30, 2014, 09:24:20 PM »

Okay, so you say "meeting in the middle" would be fair. What's the middle? Less band members? Mike gets to write or co-write more songs/propose more themes? Maybe that's all reasonable. So let's say Brian moves in that direction. What does Mike give up? Because, it sure seems like it's Brian who has to give up things from C50, while Mike gains. And that'll be the "middle".

Andrew, pray tell, what do you think Mike should be willing to "give up" or budge on?

And sure, yeah, I'm sure they could meet in a room and write a few things. But I feel a feeling the goalposts would be moved if Brian signaled that this would be cool.

Wasn't it Capitol who moved the goalposts in 2011/2012?
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #581 on: November 30, 2014, 10:06:09 PM »

I have no idea what you're talking about...

What did Capitol do back then to change things?
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #582 on: December 01, 2014, 12:24:28 AM »

Andrew. You often get flack for seemingly siding with Mike such as this thread.

Just to lay your cards on the table, any chance you are, or will be involved in Mike's book?

Your research and knowledge surely would be of benefit to him.
Nicko1234
« Reply #583 on: December 01, 2014, 02:13:22 AM »

Jeez...

If you put your feelings about Mike to the side for a second, how often do you hear interviewers uttering the words, `How would you feel if____were to pass away?`

And if we are to talk about people not dealing with things...

Even if the tour had continued on for a second run in 2013, that certainly doesn`t mean that they could have kept up that pace all year, every year until retirement and that they would be gearing up for the C53 tour next year...

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #584 on: December 01, 2014, 05:34:18 AM »

A petty, short sighted, self centered, insecure, conniving little dipshit of a man.
That should go on Mike's tombstone, what a summary of his actions over the years.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #585 on: December 01, 2014, 05:53:30 AM »

`How would you feel if____were to pass away?`

I've done a whole heap of interviews over the years.  I would fully expect the person sitting across the table from me to get up and walk out within seconds of asking THAT question.  It's one-sided and accusatory to start with...or at least it could be perceived that way.  And how does one answer it?

"I'd feel fantastic?  That's the plan?  Gawd...if only?  We keep waiting?  I thought that would have happened decades ago?  So it goes?  [Or perhaps something a little more heartfelt?]

It's a NO WIN question...and one not likely to get the interviewer a response other than one worthy of posing such a query. Shocked

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #586 on: December 01, 2014, 07:19:43 AM »

A petty, short sighted, self centered, insecure, conniving little dipshit of a man.
That should go on Mike's tombstone, what a summary of his actions over the years.
If only that could happen. Think of the fun we could have on the way out to see it. Why, I'd even donate my Mike signed Surf's Up poster to the lovester gravesite instead of just a can of corn. Razz
« Last Edit: December 01, 2014, 07:34:04 AM by The LEGENDARY OSD » Logged

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #587 on: December 01, 2014, 07:45:39 AM »

Jeez...

If you put your feelings about Mike to the side for a second, how often do you hear interviewers uttering the words, `How would you feel if____were to pass away?`

And if we are to talk about people not dealing with things...

Even if the tour had continued on for a second run in 2013, that certainly doesn`t mean that they could have kept up that pace all year, every year until retirement and that they would be gearing up for the C53 tour next year...

Well, even if the wording of that hypothetical query seemed harsh, the point is that nobody's getting any younger, and based on his actions, unless I'm missing something, that sad fact seems to be of no particular consequence to Mike. That's what I'm getting at.

Hatchets could be buried and they almost were, but they weren't. It's mighty sad. An artistic vision by BW for the BBs was crapped on for the umpteenth time by the same guy. I do suspect that's how BW feels, and I believe it's the reason why so many people are disgruntled by Mr. Positivity's actions. It's about ego, has been for half a century.

Has Mike ever thought about how much more highly he'd be thought of if he'd not bragged about Kokomo for the millionth time? (Just an example). That such self ego stroking maneuvers have hurt him far more than helped him throughout the years? Or does he honestly, in his heart of hearts, believe that his reputation as one of the most disliked persons in rock is not something he brought on himself in the slightest? That it's 110% because of "Wilson-based negativity"? I'm sure he feels grossly misunderstood, but his actions were and remain a huge, huge part of the problem. I really, really hate that a person in my favorite band has earned such a public distinction, but unlike some people, I'm not going to make excuses or live in denial of the reasons simply because I love the music so dearly.

I'm aware 2012 happened, and I'm very glad it did. I just don't want to see these guys have bad blood up until the end, and though Mike will surely "explain" himself in his bio, it seems that he is, by a sizeable margin, the reason for so much of it in 2014.

And do I think the reunion could have continued indefinitely until C53 and beyond? I don't know. But how things went down in the end is just inexcusably, shockingly lame, and everyone knows it.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2014, 08:22:19 AM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #588 on: December 01, 2014, 09:42:34 AM »

A petty, short sighted, self centered, insecure, conniving little dipshit of a man might not, though.

It's like some twisted riches to rags story - "From Royal Albert Hall to the Bowling Alley"

An Albert Hall that sold out in about a minute.

Things like that don't matter to Mike.

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #589 on: December 01, 2014, 09:50:55 AM »

Andrew. You often get flack for seemingly siding with Mike such as this thread.

Just to lay your cards on the table, any chance you are, or will be involved in Mike's book?

Your research and knowledge surely would be of benefit to him.

Of course it's possible. If it transpires, I'd be tremendously flattered, just as I was when I was asked to help research the Don Was movie*, write the liners to the KTSA/BB '85 reissue and lend a (very small) hand to the 1993 box set and Pet Sounds Sessions box, amongst others. My point in saying this (aside from pure ego  Smiley ) ?  There's no side. I'm a Beach Boys fan.

[* care to guess why you don't see the legendary Andrew Loog Oldham "buy Pet Sounds" advert  from 1966 pop up right after Nash mentions it ? Because it doesn't exist. I knew this before I was asked to find it because I'd already researched it, but they insisted I look again and I wasn't going to say "no" to getting $XXX for doing, essentially, nothing.  Grin ]
« Last Edit: December 01, 2014, 09:56:32 AM by The Legendary AGD » Logged

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
The Cincinnati Kid
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #590 on: December 01, 2014, 12:53:50 PM »

Mike said something about someone not letting him and Brian write the songs by themselves.  I just assumed it was Capitol who did that, seeing as they also chose what would be on the album for the most part (according to Bruce).
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #591 on: December 01, 2014, 01:03:05 PM »

Nope, that was Joe Thomas.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #592 on: December 01, 2014, 01:05:41 PM »

Mike said something about someone not letting him and Brian write the songs by themselves.  I just assumed it was Capitol who did that, seeing as they also chose what would be on the album for the most part (according to Bruce).

The "wivesandmanagers" if you will...
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #593 on: December 01, 2014, 01:12:31 PM »

This whole people keeping and control BW is more in the view of how Mike sees things. Hell, Mike thinks BW's important and needed medications are used for control.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2014, 01:45:16 PM by SMiLE Brian » Logged

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #594 on: December 01, 2014, 01:13:25 PM »

Nope, that was Joe Thomas.

Could you elaborate on this? How exactly he kept Mike from seeing/working with Brian?

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #595 on: December 01, 2014, 01:23:23 PM »

Was he contracted by Capitol? If so he was in effect Capitol I guess.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #596 on: December 01, 2014, 01:50:40 PM »

What on earth would Joe Thomas's motivation be to keep Mike from writing with Brian? And didn't he facilitate, oh, I don't know, some three Mike co-writes and one solo tune on the album?

It's difficult to imagine him being someone preventing Mike from doing anything with Brian, given that the entire reunion depended on the two guys getting along. On the other hand, I could easily see him running interference for a Brian who didn't want to collaborate with Mike in any serious way. Then, if Mike ever tried to raise it with Brian (which I somehow doubt), the latter could just blame Joe.
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #597 on: December 01, 2014, 01:53:04 PM »

It's unclear, but maybe he means Joe Thomas chose what went on the record?
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #598 on: December 01, 2014, 01:54:22 PM »

This whole people keeping and control BW is more in the view of how Mike sees things. Hell, Mike thinks BW's important and needed medications are used for control.

I had to look this up.....you weren't kidding....

"Have you spoken with Brian since the end of the tour?

No. Brian is controlled and still medicated. It used to be the indiscriminate use of street drugs, but now it’s prescribed drugs. He speaks very highly of me and I have no issues. If just he and I could speak alone it would be great, but Brian is controlled."

http://www.masslive.com/entertainment/index.ssf/2014/08/the_beach_boys_to_turn_tanglew.html

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #599 on: December 01, 2014, 02:01:28 PM »

No. Brian is controlled and still medicated. It used to be the indiscriminate use of street drugs, but now it’s prescribed drugs. He speaks very highly of me and I have no issues. If just he and I could speak alone it would be great, but Brian is controlled."

Now meet me in the middle!
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 21 22 23 [24] 25 26 27 28 29 30 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx