gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680599 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 02:04:46 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 24 25 ... 30 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mike and Bruce Tour 2014  (Read 148150 times)
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #475 on: November 02, 2014, 01:03:06 AM »

Chances are you're right... but it wouldn't hurt to try.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #476 on: November 02, 2014, 02:01:18 AM »

I'll do it, damn it.  Grin The question is, do I actually post on the question on his Facebook page, or do I ask by private message?

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #477 on: November 02, 2014, 02:22:01 AM »

In the words of the immortal Beavis...

'DO IT!!! DO IT!!!'

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Nicko1234
« Reply #478 on: November 02, 2014, 04:05:13 AM »

I would imagine the reason is that Brian and Al are still alive and they themselves can choose not to be included in the live show. Carl and Dennis, on the other hand...
Maybe their estates are given more money for allowing them to use their voices?

I agree with the first part of your post in that they have tributes to the 2 members who are no longer with us. I doubt they have ever considered using Brian`s or Al`s vocals in the same way...

The obvious reason why Carl`s and Dennis`s voices are heard at the shows while other members aren`t is that including Brian and Al obviously requires a lot more kerfuffle than simply pressing the play button...
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #479 on: November 02, 2014, 05:59:27 AM »

I would imagine the reason is that Brian and Al are still alive and they themselves can choose not to be included in the live show. Carl and Dennis, on the other hand...

I agree with the first part of your post in that they have tributes to the 2 members who are no longer with us. I doubt they have ever considered using Brian`s or Al`s vocals in the same way...

The obvious reason why Carl`s and Dennis`s voices are heard at the shows while other members aren`t is that including Brian and Al obviously requires a lot more kerfuffle than simply pressing the play button...
If I had to guess, I'd say it could be a "scrivener error" maybe should have been a "mention" without a "tribute" without the same connotation as Dennis' and Carl's full on video/audio presentation.  And the setlist is "work product" for the band and staff, and in my view, not fodder for critique, any more than a grocery list.  A grocery list is my to-do list. 

Mike puts the song The Warmth of the Sun in the contemporaneous context of the Kennedy assassination.  Sorrow and hope, are blended and those who were not part of that experience, in 1963, sort of get a free history lesson. 
Cyncie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #480 on: November 02, 2014, 08:00:26 AM »

https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xpa1/v/t1.0-9/10426255_733118416767002_1296261609782930479_n.png?oh=a889cd89f2dc69d40d33893bbe0a7fa6&oe=54E770AD&__gda__=1424318229_a3caa65aca47a2a4f57dd5d5cb1d7c8b

I see intro Brian and intro Dennis on here. I know someone posted earlier about Dennis' tribute, but they're not doing one for Brian on The Warmth Of The Sun are they? That would seem...odd.

I would guess it's just a discussion of Brian. While Mike's schpiel about Brian kinda sometimes makes it sound like Brian's dead, I don't they would have the bad taste to sing to Brian's voice in concert. I also doubt Brian would allow it.

I do continue to marvel at the fact that you can now go to a Beach Boys concert and hear Carl and Dennis, but not the living Brian and Al.

It is truly the height of absurdity, and some interviewer should grow a pair and ask Mike to explain his thoughts regarding that odd dichotomy. I'd sure like to hear them.

I've said before that, in spite of Mike's complaints about band size, etc, the only thing Mike really didn't like about the reunion was the presence of the other Beach Boys. Well, one Beach Boy.  Wilsons who aren't actually around to challenge him are great. Wilsons who require any compromise on Mikes' part, not so much.  It certainly looks like he prefers his Wilson band contribution to be on screen only. Brian might not be ready to rejoin the band, in that case.

In reality, I don't think Mike thinks things through this deeply. In spite of his spiritual posturing, Mike's all about practicality. He got rid of the parts of C50 he didn't like and kept the things that worked for him, including the video screens, the "50th anniversary of" promo, and the  tribute to members who aren't with us anymore.  This is just a cheap way to hold on to a bit of the sheen of the 50th while still keeping things just the way he likes them.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2014, 08:02:01 AM by Cyncie » Logged
Nicko1234
« Reply #481 on: November 02, 2014, 08:12:30 AM »

I've said before that, in spite of Mike's complaints about band size, etc, the only thing Mike really didn't like about the reunion was the presence of the other Beach Boys. Well, one Beach Boy.  Wilsons who aren't actually around to challenge him are great. Wilsons who require any compromise on Mikes' part, not so much.  It certainly looks like he prefers his Wilson band contribution to be on screen only. Brian might not be ready to rejoin the band, in that case.

In reality, I don't think Mike thinks things through this deeply. In spite of his spiritual posturing, Mike's all about practicality. He got rid of the parts of C50 he didn't like and kept the things that worked for him, including the video screens, the "50th anniversary of" promo, and the  tribute to members who aren't with us anymore.  This is just a cheap way to hold on to a bit of the sheen of the 50th while still keeping things just the way he likes them.

Utter. Shash.  Smiley

Having Dennis on screen singing Do You Wanna Dance doesn`t, `hold on to a bit of the sheen of the 50th` in any way, shape or form for example. The audience for Mike and Bruce`s shows is generally very different from C50 anyway (not that I am saying there is no crossover at all) and I doubt a majority care at all about the touring of 2 years ago.

Cyncie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #482 on: November 02, 2014, 08:34:47 AM »

Utter. Shash.  Smiley

Having Dennis on screen singing Do You Wanna Dance doesn`t, `hold on to a bit of the sheen of the 50th` in any way, shape or form for example. The audience for Mike and Bruce`s shows is generally very different from C50 anyway (not that I am saying there is no crossover at all) and I doubt a majority care at all about the touring of 2 years ago.

I don't recall Mike using anybody or anything onscreen before the 50th. Now he is. He held on to the parts he liked. Not sure what's so debatable about that.
Nicko1234
« Reply #483 on: November 02, 2014, 08:39:10 AM »

Utter. Shash.  Smiley

I don't recall Mike using anybody or anything onscreen before the 50th. Now he is. He held on to the parts he liked. Not sure what's so debatable about that.

It`s not about holding onto any sheen though is it...

And if it is only appearing with Brian that Mike had a problem with then it begs the question why Al doesn`t appear and David is only a special guest on occasions...
Cyncie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #484 on: November 02, 2014, 09:03:38 AM »

Utter. Shash.  Smiley

It`s not about holding onto any sheen though is it...

And if it is only appearing with Brian that Mike had a problem with then it begs the question why Al doesn`t appear and David is only a special guest on occasions...

Ah. Well, I'm certainly willing to admit that Mike dislikes including all of the other Beach Boys, then. I can see how that would make him look so much less egotistical.   Grin  But, I do feel that Brian is especially problematic. I can't imagine that Mike was deaf to the increased volume of applause and cheers when Brian was introduced in C50 and it would surprise me if he liked it.

As to C50; yes, I do believe that Mike wants to have his cake and eat it too. The positive press and PR boost didn't get past him. He just didn't want to make all of the sacrifice necessary to keep that going (like, you know, including other Beach Boys), so he pulled in as many elements as he could with his own band: video screens, tributes, "50th anniversary of FFF," were not regular features in the Mike and Bruce show prior to C50. They are now.  You might not call that holding on to the "sheen" of C50. I do.
Nicko1234
« Reply #485 on: November 02, 2014, 09:16:27 AM »

Ah. Well, I'm certainly willing to admit that Mike dislikes including all of the other Beach Boys, then. I can see how that would make him look so much less egotistical.   Grin  But, I do feel that Brian is especially problematic. I can't imagine that Mike was deaf to the increased volume of applause and cheers when Brian was introduced in C50 and it would surprise me if he liked it.

As to C50; yes, I do believe that Mike wants to have his cake and eat it too. The positive press and PR boost didn't get past him. He just didn't want to make all of the sacrifice necessary to keep that going (like, you know, including other Beach Boys), so he pulled in as many elements as he could with his own band: video screens, tributes, "50th anniversary of FFF," were not regular features in the Mike and Bruce show prior to C50. They are now.  You might not call that holding on to the "sheen" of C50. I do.

It may well be that he didn`t like Brian getting stacks of applause... It certainly isn`t only about the other Beach Boys though that`s for sure. The C50 tour was completely different in every way in terms of everything from band size to venues to traveling expenses etc. A different world to the current touring...

The bottom line for me though is I can entirely understand people thinking that there shouldn`t be a group calling themselves `The Beach Boys` with only one original member.

I don`t somehow believe that people would be viewing Mike much more positively if he wasn`t mentioning Brian in the shows or paying tribute to Dennis or Carl though...
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #486 on: November 02, 2014, 09:30:44 AM »

The vocal tracks used are the property of (currently) Capitol records, I believe. So, probably not but as ever I stand to be corrected by those with better knowledge, better contacts and a healthier bank balance.

As I understand it, while EMI (Universal now) own the 60s recordings both released and unreleased, they can only release the previously released material (e.g. endless hits compilations) without BRI consent. Any unreleased material (including remixes) requires BRI approval. This would seem to include stripping away the lead vocal and airing it live.

Performance royalties would also presumably be due the estates.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Cyncie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #487 on: November 02, 2014, 09:36:47 AM »

Ah. Well, I'm certainly willing to admit that Mike dislikes including all of the other Beach Boys, then. I can see how that would make him look so much less egotistical.   Grin  But, I do feel that Brian is especially problematic. I can't imagine that Mike was deaf to the increased volume of applause and cheers when Brian was introduced in C50 and it would surprise me if he liked it.

As to C50; yes, I do believe that Mike wants to have his cake and eat it too. The positive press and PR boost didn't get past him. He just didn't want to make all of the sacrifice necessary to keep that going (like, you know, including other Beach Boys), so he pulled in as many elements as he could with his own band: video screens, tributes, "50th anniversary of FFF," were not regular features in the Mike and Bruce show prior to C50. They are now.  You might not call that holding on to the "sheen" of C50. I do.

The bottom line for me though is I can entirely understand people thinking that there shouldn`t be a group calling themselves `The Beach Boys` with only one original member.

On this we agree completely.

Nicko1234
« Reply #488 on: November 02, 2014, 09:38:55 AM »

Top quality cherry picking there.  Wink
Cyncie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #489 on: November 02, 2014, 09:44:35 AM »

Top quality cherry picking there.  Wink

Grin
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #490 on: November 02, 2014, 10:29:24 AM »

https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xpa1/v/t1.0-9/10426255_733118416767002_1296261609782930479_n.png?oh=a889cd89f2dc69d40d33893bbe0a7fa6&oe=54E770AD&__gda__=1424318229_a3caa65aca47a2a4f57dd5d5cb1d7c8b

I see intro Brian and intro Dennis on here. I know someone posted earlier about Dennis' tribute, but they're not doing one for Brian on The Warmth Of The Sun are they? That would seem...odd.

I would guess it's just a discussion of Brian. While Mike's schpiel about Brian kinda sometimes makes it sound like Brian's dead, I don't they would have the bad taste to sing to Brian's voice in concert. I also doubt Brian would allow it.

I do continue to marvel at the fact that you can now go to a Beach Boys concert and hear Carl and Dennis, but not the living Brian and Al.

It is truly the height of absurdity, and some interviewer should grow a pair and ask Mike to explain his thoughts regarding that odd dichotomy. I'd sure like to hear them.

Mike has a Facebook page, on which he posts fairly often. To use your own pungent phrase, grow a pair, go there, and ask. Grin

I'd wager a bet the odds of the Love Master answering some random nobody's inquiry on Facebook are pretty slim to nil.

This is very true, and it's also a matter of context; the internet is not set up for measured, nuanced communication that humans are supposed to have. We only see words, not tone of voice, and actual human conversation is always going to be compromised. If a question is ever posed to him, it should be by an interviewer of some esteem, not presented to him on a random post on a facebook page. To use Carl's term, I think that context would be inappropriate. And yes, I can understand if some people think the question in and of itself is inappropriate. It's delicate and touchy.

I'm sure most fans would be interested to see him interviewed by someone like Howard Stern or Barbara Walters, but frankly I don't think he'll ever let that happen these days. (I know Stern interviewed in him in the early '90s, but I'd be shocked if it happened again in present day). Those might be the only people who'd have the guts to ask him such a question in a proper interview, and they might also be the only people to whom he'd respond to such a question with an actual response.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2014, 10:33:52 AM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #491 on: November 02, 2014, 12:17:47 PM »

It may well be that he didn`t like Brian getting stacks of applause...

I apologize unreservedly for my contribution to the break-up of the C50.
Nicko1234
« Reply #492 on: November 02, 2014, 04:17:40 PM »

This is very true, and it's also a matter of context; the internet is not set up for measured, nuanced communication that humans are supposed to have. We only see words, not tone of voice, and actual human conversation is always going to be compromised. If a question is ever posed to him, it should be by an interviewer of some esteem, not presented to him on a random post on a facebook page. To use Carl's term, I think that context would be inappropriate. And yes, I can understand if some people think the question in and of itself is inappropriate. It's delicate and touchy.

I'm sure most fans would be interested to see him interviewed by someone like Howard Stern or Barbara Walters, but frankly I don't think he'll ever let that happen these days. (I know Stern interviewed in him in the early '90s, but I'd be shocked if it happened again in present day). Those might be the only people who'd have the guts to ask him such a question in a proper interview, and they might also be the only people to whom he'd respond to such a question with an actual response.

Honestly I don`t think so because the response is pretty obvious in my opinion and Mike has already half answered this question.

Mike stated that, `Brian has to tour in a very specific way` as one of the reasons for the break up of C50. Why Brian and Al aren`t onstage with Mike has been discussed to death and he has been asked about it many times.

Why do they have videos of Dennis and Carl? As a tribute to two deceased band members obviously. They have regularly dedicated God Only Knows and Do You Wanna Dance to those guys since 1999 so showing the videos is a step up from that. They have never dedicated Help Me Rhonda to Al as he is still alive and they ain`t going to be showing a video of him singing any time soon.

CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #493 on: November 03, 2014, 11:40:39 AM »

Honestly I don`t think so because the response is pretty obvious in my opinion and Mike has already half answered this question.

Mike stated that, `Brian has to tour in a very specific way` as one of the reasons for the break up of C50. Why Brian and Al aren`t onstage with Mike has been discussed to death and he has been asked about it many times.

Why do they have videos of Dennis and Carl? As a tribute to two deceased band members obviously. They have regularly dedicated God Only Knows and Do You Wanna Dance to those guys since 1999 so showing the videos is a step up from that. They have never dedicated Help Me Rhonda to Al as he is still alive and they ain`t going to be showing a video of him singing any time soon.

I suppose those would be his simple, go-to answers to the individual questions (Brian is just more difficult to tour with / the fact that he simply wants to do a tribute to his late bandmates), but I’d be more interested to hear how he’d respond to how the two seemingly unrelated situations relate to the current status of the band. Because the fact that, as HeyJude pointed out, you can now go to a Beach Boys concert and hear Carl and Dennis, but not the living Brian and Al (who want to be in the band), is truly a bizarre situation, and that collective dichotomy specifically is what I don’t believe has ever been addressed. It’s a dichotomy that’s contradictory, unfortunate and very strange.

Unfortunately, I’d expect an answer to this dichotomy to be avoided if a question were posed, and we’d probably get more of the same individual pre-packaged answers to the two circumstances independent of each other, as opposed to any reflection on the circumstances together as a whole. Personally I'd almost think it would be more tasteful, relatively speaking, for M&B not to have any pre-recorded music and/or video tributes at this point to any bandmates, than to have tributes when there are multiple living members who wanted to be in the band and were in some capacity prevented from such. Am I crazy in thinking that? Perhaps. But to me, pre-recorded music and/or video tributes to Carl and Denny are a reminder about this being an actual band with history, and remind me of band unity, etc.

And of course that unity message that I take away from it contradicts everything about the current situation with the living members.  It says "I miss these particular bandmates", while doing actions that imply that the other living bandmates themselves are not missed. It's the ultimate having your cake and eating it too situation; we'll never get to hear Mike say that it's simply easy to press the play button and not have to deal with actual other living BB personalities that have minds and desires of their own, but that's what this comes down to. It's a sad truth, though some people want to spin things another way. I'm sure there's a well-meaning competent behind the tributes in any case, but the whole tribute thing in context of the post C50 blowout rubs me in an odd way.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2014, 02:16:57 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
Nicko1234
« Reply #494 on: November 03, 2014, 02:42:35 PM »

I suppose those would be his simple, go-to answers to the individual questions (Brian is just more difficult to tour with / the fact that he simply wants to do a tribute to his late bandmates), but I’d be more interested to hear how he’d respond to how the two seemingly unrelated situations relate to the current status of the band. Because the fact that, as HeyJude pointed out, you can now go to a Beach Boys concert and hear Carl and Dennis, but not the living Brian and Al (who want to be in the band), is truly a bizarre situation, and that collective dichotomy specifically is what I don’t believe has ever been addressed. It’s a dichotomy that’s contradictory, unfortunate and very strange.

Unfortunately, I’d expect an answer to this dichotomy to be avoided if a question were posed, and we’d probably get more of the same individual pre-packaged answers to the two circumstances independent of each other, as opposed to any reflection on the circumstances together as a whole. Personally I'd almost think it would be more tasteful, relatively speaking, for M&B not to have any pre-recorded music and/or video tributes at this point to any bandmates, than to have tributes when there are multiple living members who wanted to be in the band and were in some capacity prevented from such. Am I crazy in thinking that? Perhaps. But to me, pre-recorded music and/or video tributes to Carl and Denny are a reminder about this being an actual band with history, and remind me of band unity, etc.

And of course that unity message that I take away from it contradicts everything about the current situation with the living members.  It says "I miss these particular bandmates", while doing actions that imply that the other living bandmates themselves are not missed. It's the ultimate having your cake and eating it too situation; we'll never get to hear Mike say that it's simply easy to press the play button and not have to deal with actual other living BB personalities that have minds and desires of their own, but that's what this comes down to. It's a sad truth, though some people want to spin things another way. I'm sure there's a well-meaning competent behind the tributes in any case, but the whole tribute thing in context of the post C50 blowout rubs me in an odd way.

Do they? I think everyone knows that and acknowledges it.
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #495 on: November 03, 2014, 03:14:50 PM »

As for background videos of  ex members or current members, I saw ian Anderson's show last week and  he had old film of himself and others running in the background as he played.  I s this becoming a trend in dinosaur acts?
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #496 on: November 03, 2014, 03:19:01 PM »

As for background videos of  ex members or current members, I saw ian Anderson's show last week and  he had old film of himself and others running in the background as he played.  I s this becoming a trend in dinosaur acts?

all the acts want  to be like Mike.

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #497 on: November 03, 2014, 03:27:25 PM »

Considering the hype and hoopla surrounding the Michael Jackson and Tupac 3D hologram "performances", it certainly seems to be a trend that isn't on its way out.
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #498 on: November 03, 2014, 03:40:00 PM »

Paul McCartney uses tons of Beatles clips on his video screens.

If anyone here has seen Flo & Eddie's "Happy Together" shows...all the artists on that bill have clips of them on Sullivan or American Bandstand playing their hits while they do before you.

The screen thing is becoming very trendy, and in some cases too distracting. I've grown to appreciate shows that don't utilize a screen at all lately.
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #499 on: November 07, 2014, 03:48:27 PM »

Went to an M&B show last night and noticed something interesting -- Bruce made the call for the audience to come down to the front of the stage and dance, just like Denny used to do so many years ago in BB shows. I don't recall seeing anyone make that call in any of the recent touring entities (BAD, M&B, C50, etc.) in a long time, but it's something I like seeing revived. Was this just a case of right venue, right time?

« Last Edit: November 07, 2014, 03:49:38 PM by Emdeeh » Logged
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 24 25 ... 30 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx