gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 09:00:46 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 ... 30 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mike and Bruce Tour 2014  (Read 148141 times)
Michael Edwards Love
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #225 on: July 26, 2014, 11:39:10 AM »

Fun, Fun, Fun in York with Roy Wood

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IdGHKu_fAms
They also apparently covered The Move's "Fire Brigade".

Let us pray someone recorded it.
Rob Dean
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #226 on: July 26, 2014, 11:39:37 AM »

No, no... that has to be wrong, or a fake: it's a well known, unequivocally established fact that all Mike & Bruce ever do is songs about cars, girls & surfin'. #humor #sarcasm

Don't forget about a song about sharing a sign of the Zodiac  Grin
MaxL
Smiley Smile Associate

"It's a damn shame"

View Profile
« Reply #227 on: July 26, 2014, 04:55:42 PM »

That was the surprise of the night and got a great reception from the crowd, as did pretty much everything. Overall a much more enthusiastic crowd than I've ever seen at an M&B show; first time I've ever seen the band here up north (or anywhere else other than in/around London) and the crowd ate everything up; made the crowd at Epsom last week seem downright dour in comparison Razz
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #228 on: July 26, 2014, 11:00:11 PM »

That was the surprise of the night and got a great reception from the crowd, as did pretty much everything. Overall a much more enthusiastic crowd than I've ever seen at an M&B show; first time I've ever seen the band here up north (or anywhere else other than in/around London) and the crowd ate everything up; made the crowd at Epsom last week seem downright dour in comparison Razz

Odd you should say that - the Epsom crowd around me (roughly halfway back to the light tower/mixing desk, just in front of the bus) were going apeshit, yet a friend tells me that further forward, they were indeed metaphorically sitting on their hands. Go figure.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
MaxL
Smiley Smile Associate

"It's a damn shame"

View Profile
« Reply #229 on: July 27, 2014, 11:19:06 AM »

Odd you should say that - the Epsom crowd around me (roughly halfway back to the light tower/mixing desk, just in front of the bus) were going apeshit, yet a friend tells me that further forward, they were indeed metaphorically sitting on their hands. Go figure.

Yeah up-front it was a pretty austere affair. Hardly any noise made during the opening to Do It Again and the band coming on. Seemed very strange.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #230 on: July 27, 2014, 11:26:34 AM »

It was OSD and friends. Grin

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #231 on: July 27, 2014, 12:47:24 PM »

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh...  Grin

RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #232 on: July 29, 2014, 12:49:39 PM »

Thoughts on Mike & Bruce (and Stamos) in Lancaster....

John Stamos was definitely entertaining and it wsa fun to see him there and shake things up a bit. However, I can definitely see why people get annoyed that he's there. The overall musicianship definitely took a hit. There were way too many songs without John Cowsill on drums, and it showed. Stamos played a lot more than I expected, or remembered from my first Beach Boys concert in 2010.

Anyway, the setlist was basically a Greatest Hits Plus type show. The more unusual songs included "Please Let Me Wonder", "Still Cruisin", "Forever"(of course), "Pisces Brothers" and "All Summer Long". I guess it isn't that odd that Pisces Brothers was played but let's just say, I won't be losing sleep if I never hear it again.

There were a lot of vocal blips all across the board. From what I could hear, it was mostly Foskett & Mike. I really do not know why they gave Jeffrey all of Randell's leads. Randell was definitely much stronger last year. As I said, Mike was also hitting a lot of bum notes in the harmony stack. "Why Do Fools Fall in Love" was pretty rough. However, there is plenty of positivity to report on! Mike's leads sound strong as ever. All those early surf/car song medleys are great as always. John Cowsill is probably the biggest asset this band has. As I said, it's a shame he spent so much time off the kit last night however, his vocals nearly made up for it. "Darlin" was superb as always and it was really great to have him down front on "Help Me Rhonda" for a change, he's a great frontman....better than Mike!! There was no "Wild Honey" last night....bummer.

Also, I'd like to take a moment for Bruce! I was ragging on his vocals in a clip on the last page, but his vocals were VERY loud last night, and spot on. "Please Let Me Wonder" was especially gorgeous. That was probably the highlight of the show for me, actually. "Disney Girls" was remarkable as well and all his falsetto lines throughout the night were of a much greater quality than Foskett's.

On "Surfin' USA" a few folks from this otherwise dead crowd ran down the stage, I thought for sure they'd get dragged off but nope! They stayed! So we went down on the encore and were basically in the front row for the encore. Mike waved to my girlfriend (of course...) and pointed at me on "A lot of guys try to catch her..." just like on C50. I called Bruce's name at the end as we were almost in front of him but he didn't even twitch. Foskett walked by and shook a few hands but not the woman next to me, who decided the appropriate response to being ignored by a back-up beach boy was "SHAKE MY HAND ASSHOLE!"....needless to say, he just kept walking.  Cool
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #233 on: July 29, 2014, 01:56:53 PM »

Seems Lancaster crowds are classy like that: back in '05 my friends & I were giving "Sail On, Sailor" a good telling off and a blue-rinsed old biddy turned around and screeched "I paid good money to hear THEM sing, not YOU !"

So of course we did the only possible thing. Sang louder.  Grin

RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #234 on: July 29, 2014, 02:22:33 PM »

Seems Lancaster crowds are classy like that: back in '05 my friends & I were giving "Sail On, Sailor" a good telling off and a blue-rinsed old biddy turned around and screeched "I paid good money to hear THEM sing, not YOU !"

LOL

This venue is about the only place in Lancaster where anything happens. It was a sold out show, and I'm pretty sure the entire AARP age bracket of Lancaster County  had a late night Monday. Another funnier moment, Mike encouraged everyone to shine their cell phones on "Surfer Girl" but he had to call the roadie out to do it for him....and of course, none of the old folks in the crowd knew what they were doing or even had cell phones....
smilethebeachboysloveyou
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #235 on: July 29, 2014, 02:26:03 PM »

I had a similar experience on "Wouldn't it Be Nice" during the C50 tour in Detroit.  I responded that I was only following Bruce's conducting, but the guy didn't seem impressed by my answer.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #236 on: July 29, 2014, 02:29:48 PM »

LOL

This venue is about the only place in Lancaster where anything happens. It was a sold out show, and I'm pretty sure the entire AARP age bracket of Lancaster County  had a late night Monday. Another funnier moment, Mike encouraged everyone to shine their cell phones on "Surfer Girl" but he had to call the roadie out to do it for him....and of course, none of the old folks in the crowd knew what they were doing or even had cell phones....

Yup, back then I was easily one of the three youngest people there - in some cases by several decades - and in May 2005 I was 49 !

CarlTheVoice
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #237 on: July 29, 2014, 03:15:42 PM »

I'm quite annoyed to hear that the front of the crowd at Epsom was indeed as quiet as I thought it was. We were trying our hardest to get as near to the stage as we could but no one wanted to budge! We danced the night away but I can count on one hand the amount of people doing the same in front of us. I don't know why they took our spot when they obviously couldn't have cared less! Grrrrr.
Chirpeep
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #238 on: July 29, 2014, 09:16:50 PM »

I was at the Lancaster show last night. I loved it.  It was lacking a certain magic, but honestly, like was said above, I think it was because of the crowd. They had sticks up their bums. Being a big fan, I wasn't thrilled with their set list. If I never heard a car song again, I'd be fine. All that being said though...it was a good show. I couldn't find anything wrong with the band or the performance.

As far as John Stamos, I wish people would be nicer to him. He is a thoughtful and talented gentleman who obviously has really good taste in music. He was very kind and thankful before, during, and after the show ( I did the VIP experience and waited by the stage door afterward). He made sure that every fan he came in contact with was happy.
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #239 on: July 31, 2014, 12:42:22 AM »

How impolite.

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #240 on: August 01, 2014, 09:05:34 AM »

Anybody go to Ventura last night? Saw this clip on youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h09QbCsCR5A

I'm gonna go see them in Saratoga tonight, say hi to me if you're there.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #241 on: August 01, 2014, 10:05:12 AM »

Anybody go to Ventura last night? Saw this clip on youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h09QbCsCR5A

So, were those girlies fawning over Mike or one John Stamos?

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #242 on: August 01, 2014, 10:07:08 AM »

Geez....why doesn't Stamos just tour by himself? He's the one getting all the reaction!

Mike sounded unusually croaky on that one.
nybbfan
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #243 on: August 01, 2014, 10:10:35 AM »

Really glad to hear they are playing well.   I just got tix for their Aug. 12th performance at the Pormona NY minor league ball park, with Peter Noone as the opener!    I'll be taking my 13 year old daughter for her first concert.   She should know all the songs (except Pisces Bros!)  since she's been stuck in enough long car rides during her childhood with me controlling the music.  
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #244 on: August 01, 2014, 01:21:36 PM »

I was there! Great show, shorter setlist because it's a fair, but great energy from the band and the crowd!
baseball95
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #245 on: August 01, 2014, 02:07:45 PM »

Hope they let Dave do Getcha Back at these shows.
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #246 on: August 01, 2014, 07:16:39 PM »

You gotta admit they all look like they're having a blast.

That said, from that clip I don't like what I'm hearing or seeing. I've been saying it for a while, the touring Beach Boys are a cheap, very cheap imitation of what The Beach Boys were. A knock off brand, it's nice to have them around for the general public but it doesn't do any justice to what that band was.

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Nicko1234
« Reply #247 on: August 01, 2014, 11:03:49 PM »

You gotta admit they all look like they're having a blast.

That said, from that clip I don't like what I'm hearing or seeing. I've been saying it for a while, the touring Beach Boys are a cheap, very cheap imitation of what The Beach Boys were. A knock off brand, it's nice to have them around for the general public but it doesn't do any justice to what that band was.

Each to their own...

Personally I would say that they sound better than pretty much anyone could have imagined in 1998 when the decision was first made to grant Mike a licence.
halblaineisgood
« Reply #248 on: August 01, 2014, 11:08:44 PM »

« Last Edit: November 16, 2014, 04:30:41 PM by halblaineisgood » Logged
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #249 on: August 01, 2014, 11:33:31 PM »

Hope they let Dave do Getcha Back at these shows.

No getcha back, but he did sing lead on Do you wanna dance.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 ... 30 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx