-->
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:45:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News: Endless Summer Quarterly
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  The Smiley Smile Message Board
|-+  Non Smiley Smile Stuff
| |-+  The Sandbox
| | |-+  Brian Wilson...Pro-Choice Activist?
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Brian Wilson...Pro-Choice Activist?  (Read 36659 times)
Menace Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: April 04, 2014, 10:24:12 AM »

Stumbled upon this (virtually unwatchable) live video on youtube today:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nBTg1AkRl9M

Apparently Brian performed at a pro choice rally in 1989!  This may be old news to some of you, but it's news to me!  If I understand correctly, this was towards the end of his association with Landy.  Here's a picture from the event:

http://www.filmmagic.com/photos/Brian-Wilson-during-Pro-Choice-Rally-1989-in-Los-Angeles-California/111173483        

"Jeff, you care." --BW
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2014, 10:33:27 AM »

Apparently Brian performed at a pro choice rally in 1989!  This may be old news to some of you, but it's news to me!  If I understand correctly, this was towards the end of his association with Landy.  Here's a picture from the event:

http://www.filmmagic.com/photos/Brian-Wilson-during-Pro-Choice-Rally-1989-in-Los-Angeles-California/111173483        

Very interesting... I know that the BBs have generally (publicly speaking) been more supportive of traditionally Republican candidates/and or causes... While it's not news that their political beliefs have ranged across varying degrees of the spectrum, does anyone know if there's any kind of list of political causes and/or candidates that the band members have publicly supported throughout the years? Off the top of my head, I know they were guests of the Reagan and Bush Sr. White Houses.

Is this 1989 rally the only instance of a traditionally democratic/liberal cause being championed?

« Last Edit: April 04, 2014, 10:36:32 AM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
Joel Goldenberg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2014, 10:48:12 AM »

Well, Bruce is certainly not an Obama supporter.  Grin
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2014, 11:18:04 AM »

Quite interesting. Did not know that Brian was pro-choice....or is he is? Could just be just another example of Landy pushing Brian into something he knew nothing about.
Menace Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2014, 11:21:37 AM »

Personally, I think that if Landy told him he was pro-choice, he was pro-choice.

"Jeff, you care." --BW
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2014, 11:36:40 AM »

Not sure Brian cares about politics at all, or really knows much about it. I bet he supports whoever is in office at the time. Having said that, there are pro choice republicans and pro life democrats. I hate the two party system. Not everyone I s defined 100% by either side. If not most of us.

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
juggler
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2014, 12:55:40 PM »

Quite interesting. Did not know that Brian was pro-choice....or is he is? Could just be just another example of Landy pushing Brian into something he knew nothing about.

This.

Of all the Beach Boys, Brian was (and is) probably the least politically engaged... and the least involved with 'causes' of any variety.

During the Landy era, he was very much 'along for the ride.'   Thus, one really should draw no conclusions at all about Brian's political or moral views from the fact the he was hangin' out at the GOP national convention in 1984 or a pro-choice rally in 1989.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2014, 01:01:49 PM »

This.

Of all the Beach Boys, Brian was (and is) probably the least politically engaged... and the least involved with 'causes' of any variety.

During the Landy era, he was very much 'along for the ride.'   Thus, one really should draw no conclusions at all about Brian's political or moral views from the fact the he was hangin' out at the GOP national convention in 1984 or a pro-choice rally in 1989.

I think Landy was undoubtedly a factor in this, and while I agree that Brian seems to be largely very apolitical, I still I doubt he'd have made an appearance here if he was deeply, very steadfastly against the issue/cause/party (and the same goes for his GOP convention appearances too). IMO.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2014, 01:02:42 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
The 4th Wilson Bro.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2014, 01:12:26 PM »

A person's feelings on the pro-choice question should have little to do with his/her political affiliation.  Not saying it doesn't, given today's partisan political climate; but it really shouldn't.
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2014, 05:47:15 PM »

Brian does seem to be a bit of a basic traditionalist as far as his mainstream Christian religious comments remarks are concerned.
also
I have been a bit disconcerted about the title of the final Beachboys album.   

as for politics and religious leanings, I guess those things go hand in hand, at least in this country (USA).   too bad.  Personally I am a fiscal conservative, but am moderate to liberal on social issues, including choice.   the govt should be in the business of protecting people FROM religion (remember those witch trials?)
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2014, 05:53:09 PM »

I am a Christian but you make a good point. I looked in Genesis and couldn't figure out which day God made the radio  Grin

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2014, 06:36:26 PM »

I agree with the thought that Brian is apolitical. And as for Mike and Bruce being Republican, they are...but I wouldn't be surprised if they were socially less conservative. They have supported environmental causes; I wonder if they would support a candidate that opposed environmental regulations. Oh, wait. Reagan.

But still, I'm not sure we can assume that they're socially conservative.
The 4th Wilson Bro.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2014, 08:27:37 AM »

Brian does seem to be a bit of a basic traditionalist as far as his mainstream Christian religious comments remarks are concerned.
also

as for politics and religious leanings, I guess those things go hand in hand, at least in this country (USA).   too bad.  Personally I am a fiscal conservative, but am moderate to liberal on social issues, including choice.   the govt shouldn't be in the business of protecting people FROM religion (remember those witch trials?)

FIFY
ThyRavenAscend
Smiley Smile Associate

It is nice.

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2014, 09:31:26 AM »

Old Man Pretty sure "When a Man Needs a Woman" is completely irreconcilable with the pro-choice position...

1 Corinthians 1:18-31
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2014, 01:51:26 PM »

So does anybody Brian's position on this stuff? I still have a feeling he's probably pro-life. But maybe not. Who knows?
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2014, 08:37:21 PM »

They're all old men.  Who gives a shit what they think about abortion, they'll never have to worry about having one.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2014, 08:39:01 PM by Rocky Raccoon » Logged

Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2014, 10:16:09 PM »

Brian is one of those people, in my opinion, that just isn't very political.  He probably sees good in whoever's in office, like somebody said above.  I've seen him say supportive things of recent republican candidates in interviews but I believe I also saw him say some supportive things of president Obama.  So he's not incredibly polarized either way.  I've seen him disagree with political issues, but in a very common sense simple way (which is pretty refreshing). 

It's kind of like how he supports Spector... by saying "He couldn't have done that, right?"

As for the pro-choice thing, it's kind of the default position if you're apolotical or don't really sit down and consider where you come down on it.  So he's either staunchly pro-choice or just doesn't care enough one way or the other to NOT be pro-choice.

Tablevega
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2014, 01:26:19 AM »

A person's feelings on the pro-choice question should have little to do with his/her political affiliation.  Not saying it doesn't, given today's partisan political climate; but it really shouldn't.
Needed saying
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2014, 02:29:36 AM »

If you feed Brian a steady diet of steak & birthday cake served by a pretty young girl, and keep the jukebox stocked with Spector songs, he'll be anything you want for as long as you like. Fact.  Grin

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2014, 02:52:08 AM »

Apart from the Spector songs, I imagine that sums up lots of guys!
« Last Edit: April 08, 2014, 12:45:23 PM by Smilin Ed H » Logged
Quzi
Smiley Smile Associate

Eagerly awaiting tHe BeDRoOM TaPES

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2014, 05:38:12 AM »

Apart from the Spector songs, I imagine that sums lots of guys!

I think I'll keep the Spector songs in thanks Grin

"A/S/L"?
"Age:24. That's when Brian Wilson made Pet Sounds. Sex: Brian Wilson was having loads of sex with Marilyn when he made Pet Sounds. Location: Gold Star Studios, where Brian Wilson assembled with the Wrecking Crew to make Pet Sounds. Hbu?"
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2014, 04:04:45 PM »

Always felt Brian was more of a pro-hamburger kind of guy...

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2014, 08:14:22 PM »

Apart from the Spector songs, I imagine that sums up lots of guys!

Guilty as charged, your honor.
carl r
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2014, 12:47:32 AM »

I've read some interviews and discovered more than I might like about Brian's love of Fox News and support for the McCain/Palin campaign... but much like a reactionary favourite uncle, it's very hard to hold this against him in any sense. Brian of the mid/late 60s did have more of a liberal or radical take on things, I'm quite sure, but as with Dennis, actual politics always appeared low on the Wilsons' agenda, they all have/had more a spiritual outlook I think.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: April 09, 2014, 06:52:08 AM »

Unlikely to have been written by Brian back in 2000 was an awkward (if apparently sincerely-felt by whomever actually wrote it) post  on the original "blue board" about sending a telegram or some such thing to the supreme court in protest of their decision concerning the 2000 election. Whomever wrote that probably did not lean in any way conservative.

Jon Stebbins a few years back posted a very succinct, straightforward assessment of the band members’ politics (or the politics they don’t subscribe to) based on the scattered evidence we do have at our disposal. Here’s one of those posts:

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,12495.msg255258.html#msg255258

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
Print
Jump to: