gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680783 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 24, 2024, 01:11:11 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Have you heard Glen Campbell's Ghost on the Canvas?  (Read 1510 times)
leggo of my ego
Smiley Smile Associate

Beach Boys Stomp

View Profile
« on: April 04, 2014, 06:58:13 AM »

its good.

trust me.

wood i steer u wrong?  Wink

Hey Little Tomboy is creepy. Banging women by the pool is fun and conjures up warm summer thoughts a Beach Boys song should.

Necessity knows no law
A bootlegger knows no law
Therefore: A bootlegger is a necessity
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2014, 10:36:45 PM »

its good.

trust me.

wood i steer u wrong?  Wink
Bought it the same night I bought The Smile Sessions. Very pleased with both albums.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2014, 01:20:50 AM »

"Hold On Hope" may be a cover, but...

1 - that's a man in his mid-seventies singing that. Just mindblowing.

2 - given his then-recent diagnosis, the lyric is close to unlistenable, but Glen turns it into a near-affirmatyion of survival.

The whole album is outstanding, but that track is just incredible any way you slice it.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Gregg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2014, 07:09:58 PM »

The entire album is mindblowing. Despite his age and sad diagnosis, Glen's voice and musical abilities are seemingly unfazed.

I also couldn't help but notice the participation of Roger Manning Jr. of Jellyfish fame contributing keyboards and vocals on the album. Maybe it's a coincidence that the songs flow from one to the other with brief musical interludes (some sounding very Jellyfish-like). Near the end there is even a beautifully haunting BB-like falsetto wordless vocal interlude. It reminds a bit of SMiLE in that regard.

Like AGD said, the whole album is outstanding.
Moon Dawg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2014, 05:31:38 PM »

Agreed. Very good album, a few notches better than 2008's Meet Glen Campbell, which consisted of Glen singing some nice covers.  Would you guys agree it is a better Glen Campbell album than God/Radio is a Beach Boys' album? I think so.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2014, 05:28:54 AM by Moon Dawg » Logged
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2014, 12:06:02 AM »

Agreed. Very good album, a few notches better than 2008's Meet Glen Campbell, which consisted of Glen singing some nice covers.  Would you guys agree it is a better Glen Campbell album than God/Radio is a Beach Boys' album? I think so.
Maybe. I can't think of anything that would make Glen's album better; the Beach Boys without the voice of Carl Wilson was always going to be somewhat lacking.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx