gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 12:45:29 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: John Hartford  (Read 1767 times)
Peadar 'Big Dinner' O'Driscoll
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« on: April 04, 2014, 02:59:15 AM »

I just discovered the music of John Hartford over the last year or so and have been pretty much devouring everything I can find since then.

Aereo-Plain is no doubt considered his classic album but I also adore his earlier work particularly the albums "The Love Album", "Housing Project" plus "1969" plus later albums like "Mark Twang" - all of it really  Smokin

Anyway, here are a couple of my favs

From classic sixties songwriting

A Simple Thing as Love - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MWuxqg4gmPU

The Six O'Clock Train and a Girl With Green Eyes - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FP6DirjmJGw

I Didn't Know The World Would Last This Long - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eXHCk0Mf2j0

to really witty humourous stuff

Good Old Electric Washing Machine - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QmpWodP0eHQ

and Newgrass

Up on the Hill Where They Do the Boogie - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2aXZmbbPLaM

Trying To Do Something To Get Your Attention  - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1gfT0xkSm1Y

Back in the good ole days . https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XU-zJjACDJc

Anyone else a fan?
« Last Edit: April 04, 2014, 04:48:31 AM by My Brother Woody » Logged

MaxL
Smiley Smile Associate

"It's a damn shame"

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2014, 05:27:01 AM »

Colour me interested in learning more about the man and his music. I can't recall what first lead me in his direction, probably from Glen Campbell's version of "Gentle on My Mind" or Lloyd Cole's version of Mama Cass's version of "California Earthquake". Regardless I want to hear some stuff from the man himself. I don't have enough bandwidth to allow for watching videos unfortunately (cos I'm cheap) yet I'll buy a CD on a whim if there are any suggestions.
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2014, 05:42:16 AM »

I only know his stuff from the O Brother, Where Art Thou? extended soundtrack..
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2014, 06:38:18 AM »

Colour me interested in learning more about the man and his music. I can't recall what first lead me in his direction, probably from Glen Campbell's version of "Gentle on My Mind" or Lloyd Cole's version of Mama Cass's version of "California Earthquake". Regardless I want to hear some stuff from the man himself. I don't have enough bandwidth to allow for watching videos unfortunately (cos I'm cheap) yet I'll buy a CD on a whim if there are any suggestions.

Hey Max - Aereo-Plain is considered his classic and a good place to hear his newgrass sound, very inventive unique album.

If you want to hear more classic 60s songwriting along the lines of "Gentle on my mind", Id go for a comp of the early years like "Natural to be gone" or the "RCA Legends" one.

I would recommend some of the early album 2fers but unfortunately a lot of his stuff seems to be out of print again after being reissued in 2001 so getting those albums can be very expensive.

Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2014, 06:41:59 AM »

I only know his stuff from the O Brother, Where Art Thou? extended soundtrack..

I love that soundtrack!

Got me into listening to lots of Ralph Stanley stuff which is great but I can only listen to so many songs about longing for the grave so he can meet Jesus and end his horrible life before I start to get depressed  LOL

feelsflow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2014, 01:09:21 PM »

I love that Soundtrack too!
Aereo-plain was a great album.  And he continued to write great songs, but I lost touch with him by the mid-70's.  Last time I saw him was in April 1974 at a bluegrass festival in Marin County.
I will suggest something else, just as good that you Bluegrass lovers can check out.
Seek out The Dillards, starting with 1968's Wheatstraw Suite.  It opens with another Albert E. Brumley number (the same guy that wrote "Turn Your Radio On"), "I'll Fly Away."  It has the first version of "The Hey Boys" - later done even better on Herb Pedersen's first solo, Southwest (hard to find, but worth the price of the Japanese Import).  I am a major Herb fan.  He did my favorite Beatle cover ever - "Paperback Writer" on that same long-player.
The Dillards' had a way with Beatle covers too. On Wheatstraw they chose "I've Just Seen A Face."  Also here is "She Sang Hymns Out of Tune."  If you can't find or afford the Import that puts together Pickin' and Fiddlin', Wheatstraw Suite, and Copperfields - a UK Electra two-disc set, that also includes their Capitol singles all in one neat set, some of them were released on Collector's Choice in the States.  But try for the Import first, it's mastered much better.
Copperfields (1970) was Herb's second album with the Dillards (he replaced Doug, who is on the Pickin' album from 1965).  The Great John Boylan produced (Wiki that name).  Herb and the boys wrote most of the tracks, but did cover "Yesterday" "Rainmaker" (lots of versions of that one around), and Eric Andersen's "Close The Door Lightly."
I haven't checked the prices these days, and I know as Brother Woody says, they don't stay in print long...But if nothing else, I bet you could find the old Vanguard Records 1991 comp that high-lights their out-put from 1963-1970 - There Is A Time, that includes a Dylan number, ""Walkin' Down The Line," before he was well known.  And yes, that was The Dillards on the old Andy Griffiith Show in the early 60's.  That's were everybody first heard them.
Herb left the band in 1970, but would come back now and then to play on later albums.  I never got to see Herb all that many times over the years, but the first time was at that very Marin festival in 1974 - he was in Emmylou's Band, this was before she even had a record out.  John did a set with his band, and came back for the festival closer Nitty Gritty Dirt Band.  Another picker trying to make a name for himself was there as well, some cat called Steve Martin - quite popular these days.
I did a quick check of what else they had by John (thanks for the links) on Youtube, and found a great live take on "Piece of My Heart' from Cotati Caberet 04/21/83.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2014, 11:55:45 AM by feelsflow » Logged

...if you are honest - you have no idea where childhood ends and maturity begins.  It is all endless and all one.  ~ P.L. Travers        And, let's get this out of the way now, everything I post is my opinion.  ~ Will
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2014, 02:24:43 AM »

Thanks for those fell flows. Gonna try track down "Wheatstraw Suite" and some of the others you mentioned.

The only Dillard's stuff Ive heard is from the mid 70s onwards. I did pick up a copy of the "Dillard Hartford Dillard" Glitter Grass album recently which is a pretty decent listen.

gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx